• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Hypron

I beat Manus legit like a champ, dammit.

....Even though it took me about 50+ tries. ;_;

Yeah fighting him head on is the only way. It's not even that bad tbh if you make sure to be under 25% weight. That way you can avoid a lot of his attacks by simply walking which makes things a lot simpler.

tumblr_ncpcfo34Bq1ry1yvzo6_1280.jpg

Why does this make me think of Souls...

Very nice.. Wheres that located?

ulua

picked up a copy for my friend this week in preparation for the GFWL migration. got him set up on DS/DSCfix. suprisingly for the first time in my dark souls history we have had NO connection issues whatsoever. a sign of times to come? i hope so! =)

picked up a copy for my friend this week in preparation for the GFWL migration. got him set up on DS/DSCfix. suprisingly for the first time in my dark souls history we have had NO connection issues whatsoever. a sign of times to come? i hope so! =)

Tell him to go without guies, the first run is amazing.

So Im about to start Dark Souls for the first time and I really dont know a lot about it.... whats a good way to start? Im worried im about to hit a stats sheet and ill have no idea what to do

Prepare to die, a lot.

Just dont invest points on resistance and most stats have the cap at 40.

sn00zer

So Im about to start Dark Souls for the first time and I really dont know a lot about it.... whats a good way to start? Im worried im about to hit a stats sheet and ill have no idea what to do

Mistel

Banned
Basically your starting class doesn't matter that much other than that resistance is a pointless stat and a waste of points, you can do what ever you want stat wise more or less.

Booshka

Focus on 3-4 stats, ignore the rest, and especially Resistance. Don't get too crazy on leveling, upgrading your weapons and shield will serve you much more than just dumping Souls into stats.

Listen to NPC's, read item descriptions, try a variety of weapons, upgrade the ones you like, learn from your failures, and victories.

Donos

Also don't only rely on how much more DMG a weapon makes and better see what the moveset are. Good moveset can save you life way more than 20 more dmg.

claymore goat :)

Have lot of fun.

how do i save?

Choose Quit Game. It creates a soft save that you can restore to once.

Otherwise, the game constantly auto saves. Any item you pick up or world state event (NPC, puzzle) that you activate is auto saved immediately.

You cannot "save creep" the game for progress. Your in game check points are the bonfires.

Tarkus

Don't give up. If you come to area and find that you can't defeat the enemies, then you're probably not supposed to be there yet. Figure out what type of weapons you like (e.g. strength, dexterity, both, magic, etc.) and stick with them.

ElTopo

Banned

There was a Neogaf guide thread that really got me going but I can't find it. I'll try to sum it up as best as I can.

Lock-on to enemies. Kind of a no-brainer but a lot of people don't quite get that. With some bosses it may not pay to lock-on.

As soon as you exit the Asylum, do some exploring but go RIGHT and up the stairs. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

Investing in Strength, Endurance are always good when you level up. DO NOT INVEST IN RESISTANCE. It's a joke. Never do that.

sn00zer

Hmmm so I can get the allure of this game..... Im now at the boar and just turned it off for the night. It is really fun, but I dont like repeating the same area 3-4 or more time when I die. You have to be careful every single time, and its kind of annoying. But the game has some nice atmosphere and im excited to see what else is in store

Booshka

Hmmm so I can get the allure of this game..... Im now at the boar and just turned it off for the night. It is really fun, but I dont like repeating the same area 3-4 or more time when I die. You have to be careful every single time, and its kind of annoying. But the game has some nice atmosphere and im excited to see what else is in store

This isn't completely true, so long as you don't have much to lose. You can just run by stuff and play wildly if you don't care about losing your bloodstain. Suicide runs for item pickups and some recon on the level is totally fine and a viable strategy. You can play the game faster and sloppier than you think. You only need that one well executed run to get to the next bonfire, everything inbetween, even the messy deaths is actually a form of progress.

Don't get too attached to your bloodstain, Souls can be farmed if you really need them, progress and items are far more important than clinging to every bloodstain.

Booshka

So are the knights just supposed to be unbeatable gods until later?

Depends how dedicated you are to trying to beat them, they are very telegraphed and easy to parry/backstab when you learn their moves. Best bet is to try and backstab them with a high critical weapon like a Rapier or Dagger.

You can come back for them later if you want, they have a chance to drop their weapon though. Their weapons are relatively high requirements, but high damage, and easy to upgrade in the grand scheme of things.

Tarkus

So are the knights just supposed to be unbeatable gods until later?
They will be difficult for you. The weapons they drop are great though and easy to upgrade. A Black Knight Sword really gave me a lot of confidence early in the game.

Tarkus

Check out this car I saw in the parking deck of my school last night:
BG5oAA9.jpg
Praise the Sun. Notice the sun sticker on the rear windshield.

sn00zer

So I ws kinda bored as Im stuck at the churc thing filled with knights, so I ran to some woods blowing by at least 2 bosses, yanked some super armor and ran back....... so you can do that in this game?

Booshka

So I ws kinda bored as Im stuck at the churc thing filled with knights, so I ran to some woods blowing by at least 2 bosses, yanked some super armor and ran back....... so you can do that in this game?

Sure, YOLO it and grab some shit, it's not like Demon's Souls where you had Item burden, so if you couldn't carry the item, it would be on the ground and lost forever if you left the level.

Sprint around avoiding enemies totally works in this game, it's a viable tactic for booking it through areas that you are tired of going through, or are just exploring until you find a bonfire, boss, or die.

sn00zer

I really hope Bloodborne isnt as hard as this.... im finding myself so frustrated all the time, inda hard to soak in the atmosphere

Hypron

I really hope Bloodborne isnt as hard as this.... im finding myself so frustrated all the time, inda hard to soak in the atmosphere

I found the Bloodborne demo at least as hard as Dark Souls but the aweful framerate probably made things harder than they should be.

Do you have a Shield with 100% block yet? It makes dealing with enemies a lot easier and more manageable.

Yeah this should be your number 1 priority at the beginning of the game. Doesn't Andre of Astora sell one?

sn00zer - are you upgrading your weapon yet? That's a priority to get your weapon to +5 asap, that's as high you can get it for now but when you get the key items to upgrade further, again do so asap. Upgrading weapon is so important in Souls, more important than leveling up imo.

Check out this car I saw in the parking deck of my school last night:
Praise the Sun. Notice the sun sticker on the rear windshield.
The Toyota logo even looks like a figure praising the sun! XD

Donos

That sums it up. You can get fucked up from the "easiest" enemies even when you are stat and weapon maxed if you underestimate them. More so in NG+ NG++. Treat every encounter carefully.

Fook hollows!

Check out this car I saw in the parking deck of my school last night: Praise the Sun. Notice the sun sticker on the rear windshield.

I was ready to think it was coincidental/meant something else, until I saw that sticker...

The Toyota logo even looks like a figure praising the sun! XD

Haha, nice catch!

Can't wait to dive back into this game when the proper Steam version is up and running.

Good God, Four Kings is hard. Could use some help! Im around level 63. :(
The main thing is you need to deal a lot of damage quickly. If you found the very large ember in New Londo Ruins you can get a weapon to +14 or +15. Once your weapon is up to snuff you have two options: 1) Get close and tank them with Havel's set or something similar (not very rewarding but gets the job done), or 2) Get close and dodge everything. You can roll through all the sword attacks. Get far away for the AOE/grab. As for the slow homing magic-missiles? Well I always just took my lumps and (partially) blocked; could never figure out how to avoid them. With either approach, the main thing is to pick one king, close the distance as quickly as possible, and deal damage quickly while staying on top of him (only dashing away to avoid the AOE/grab).

Edit: Oh, dur. "Help" meant summoning help. I was wondering why you mentioned your level. Never mind me; I always forget that summoning is a thing.

Dibbs

The main thing is you need to deal a lot of damage quickly. If you found the very large ember in New Londo Ruins you can get a weapon to +14 or +15. Once your weapon is up to snuff you have two options: 1) Get close and tank them with Havel's set or something similar (not very rewarding but gets the job done), or 2) Get close and dodge everything. You can roll through all the sword attacks. Get far away for the AOE/grab. As for the slow homing magic-missiles? Well I always just took my lumps and (partially) blocked; could never figure out how to avoid them. With either approach, the main thing is to pick one king, close the distance as quickly as possible, and deal damage quickly while staying on top of him (only dashing away to avoid the AOE/grab).

Edit: Oh, dur. "Help" meant summoning help. I was wondering why you mentioned your level. Never mind me; I always forget that summoning is a thing.

Thanks for the tip! I had to go offline tho, i'll try later today. Im in europe, ps3. Im doing melee only sword and shield style, no spells.

Donos

If you are STR build don't bother evading/blocking the attacks except the really obious/easy ones. Just tank them with high dmg output.
Stay close to the one you are attacking and most of the time, the others don't attack you right away. Should be no problem in NG.

They gave me big trouble in NG+/NG++ though.

Dibbs

If you are STR build don't bother evading/blocking the attacks except the really obious/easy ones. Just tank them with high dmg output.
Stay close to the one you are attacking and most of the time, the others don't attack you right away. Should be no problem in NG.

They gave me big trouble in NG+/NG++ though.

Is quelaags sword enough? Thats all I have im afraid lol.

Booshka

Is quelaags sword enough? Thats all I have im afraid lol.

If it's well upgraded and you have high Dex for scaling, along with some Soft Humanity in your counter in the top left (up to 10) then it will do plenty of damage. I suggest 2 handing it and swinging light attacks over and over.

If you have some Twin Humanities to spare, pop a couple before you drop into the boss arena for added damage to your weapon.

Also, you can always try the fight later and work on your gear to prep, don't need to keep banging your head against it. That area before the boss is designed to drop you the necessary materials to get a really strong weapon. So get the Ember in the level, pick up the loot and kill the enemies for their upgrade materials. Talk to the Blacksmith in Undead Parish and craft your favorite weapon to +14/15.

Tarkus

Artorias is a beast to an SL35. One mistake and its over. I'm dead or I don't have enough stamina to roll away from the next attack. Such a great boss fight though.

sn00zer

So im lvl 17 and insanely stuck on the gargoyle bosses...shoul I cut my losses and head somewhere else? I can get his tail cut off but then the second one comes and fucks everything up

Mistel

Banned
So im lvl 17 and insanely stuck on the gargoyle bosses...shoul I cut my losses and head somewhere else? I can get his tail cut off but then the second one comes and fucks everything up
That's one of the places you can go or you could head downwards towards the depths.

Top Bottom