• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

Hmmm all I have is a +2 Shortsword
Farm for souls by running from the bonfire back toward the Parish, take a left up to the bridge, then right down the alley, turn right to go into the church, and then right again to head back to the bonfire. Rinse and repeat. You should get some titanite drops and/or have enough souls to buy the shards from Andre to upgrade your sword.

Dibbs

If you are STR build don't bother evading/blocking the attacks except the really obious/easy ones. Just tank them with high dmg output.
Stay close to the one you are attacking and most of the time, the others don't attack you right away. Should be no problem in NG.

They gave me big trouble in NG+/NG++ though.

This and Havel gear + Quelaags Sword did the trick, it was almost too easy. Thanks again people!

Can I sell stuff? or break down things or anything like that?

You can sort of sell things later in the game, but it's not really worth it for the number of souls you get. There's also a way to break up larger pieces of titanite into smaller pieces, but that's also generally not worth it.

Booshka

You can sort of sell things later in the game, but it's not really worth it for the number of souls you get. There's also a way to break up larger pieces of titanite into smaller pieces, but that's also generally not worth it.

I disagree with this adamantly. One Green Titanite Shard breaks into 5 regular Titanite Shards, it's extremely valuable and worth it. Especially if you don't plan on using any magic weaponry, you can break down some elemental chunks, then green shards, and have tons and tons of Titanite Shards, upgrade a bunch of weapons, your shield and armor without having to spend thousands and thousands of Souls.

It made Leech farming in Blighttown totally worth it, Large Shards and 5 Green Shards for every time it drops.

Agree with Booshka, farming the leeches for green titanite is always worth it. I wouldn't break down anything more valuable like chunks, but 1 green = 5 regular is a steal, Frampt either really likes the taste of green titanite or he doesn't know their market value!

sn00zer, I don't really rate the shortsword in DS1 (even though it's my favourite weapon in DS2). From what I remember it's exactly the same as the longsword but does less damage and weighs 1 pound less or something. I would grab something better and upgrade it as far as you can (will be +5). Farm the titanite (the knights in the church drop it regularly) or buy it from Andre the blacksmith in the Parish. For farming the more humanity you have (the big number top left on the HUD) the better your item discovery (drop rate), up to a maximum of 10 humanity, so pop a couple of humanity (the item version) and items will drop more.

9 x titanite shard = +5 weapon.

Booshka

Even just 1 Humanity in your top left corner is a vast improvement. It adds 50 to your item discovery (base is 100), so a 50% increase for 1 Humanity is invaluable. After that the gains from humanity fall off hard, takes another 9 Humanity just to get 60 more item discovery.

Yeah, it's really useful for green titanite. I guess what I really meant is that it's not worth it to break Slabs into Chunks, Chunks into Large, or Large into Regular. I should have specified better.

Bed of Chaos is slaying me in NG+3 on my current character. Having to try all kind of armour/ring combos to stop her from one-shotting me. The third attempt I actually got to the end and went for the punch to the bug and got one-shot chaos flamed, my jaw literally dropped!

I had to quit for the night after that, it's times like that you get careless and forget to put the lava ring on for the run back or something stupid like that, and I'm nursing a bloodstain with over 6 million souls and 80+ humanity that I do not want to lose.

Booshka

Bed of Chaos is slaying me in NG+3 on my current character. Having to try all kind of armour/ring combos to stop her from one-shotting me. The third attempt I actually got to the end and went for the punch to the bug and got one-shot chaos flamed, my jaw literally dropped!

I had to quit for the night after that, it's times like that you get careless and forget to put the lava ring on for the run back or something stupid like that, and I'm nursing a bloodstain with over 6 million souls and 80+ humanity that I do not want to lose.

If you have an attunement slot try Flash sweat, it should keep you alive. Make sure you are fast rolling through the branches to get to the Bug, you can beat the Firestorm if you are quick enough.

Booshka

Let him fail and explore on his own, you sound like a wiki.

That's for General Gaming Lttp threads, like this one. Trying to get more people to get into this game, that's my main goal. Telling people to upgrade weapons and work on gear isn't huge spoiler territory. I'm looking for more players to stick around for PvP and high playthrough PvE.

If you come into the Community thread this late in the game's life, I'll do anything to keep you around.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I disagree with this adamantly. One Green Titanite Shard breaks into 5 regular Titanite Shards, it's extremely valuable and worth it. Especially if you don't plan on using any magic weaponry, you can break down some elemental chunks, then green shards, and have tons and tons of Titanite Shards, upgrade a bunch of weapons, your shield and armor without having to spend thousands and thousands of Souls.

It made Leech farming in Blighttown totally worth it, Large Shards and 5 Green Shards for every time it drops.
Eh, I never needed to do this. Regular titanite shards are cheap enough.

GenericUser

OK, so I hit the wall at new Londo. I am on my way to this big cathedral where there are 2metal giants in front of the building. I managed to kill them, managed to kill these white slim gargoyles with their lightning spears that are are pain to fight. Went down the building, suddenly, archers ....

I guess I m done for now with the game. I'm really proud I made it this far without much help or by summoning someone. But I'm gonna pick up advanced warfare on Tuesday and right now... I think I had enough of dying.

Will continue this later.

Booshka

OK, so I hit the wall at new Londo. I am on my way to this big cathedral where there are 2metal giants in front of the building. I managed to kill them, managed to kill these white slim gargoyles with their lightning spears that are are pain to fight. Went down the building, suddenly, archers ....

I guess I m done for now with the game. I'm really proud I made it this far without much help or by summoning someone. But I'm gonna pick up advanced warfare on Tuesday and right now... I think I had enough of dying.

You can sprint and roll past everything except the one archer on the right blocking your path. For that Archer, parry, or block then attack it until it is dead. If you get right up into the Right Archer's face, you won't be hit by the other Archer.

If you have an attunement slot try Flash sweat, it should keep you alive. Make sure you are fast rolling through the branches to get to the Bug, you can beat the Firestorm if you are quick enough.
Even with flash sweat I was getting stomped left with just a sliver of health. I am only SL58 with only a couple points into VIT. I think I started as thief and only have 10-STR so I couldn't use the Eagle Shield which is what I usually use on low level builds for BoC. I couldn't two-hand it either and trying not to level up any more. Just need to get lucky dodging. :)

A funny thing I didn't think about re: NPC summons on this run. I guess they also get stronger the higher you go in NG+ - Well I like to troll invaders in the Parish by trapping them with the gate, then sending Solaire or Lautrec down there and use the hurrarh! gesture until the invader kills them. Well on NG+3, Solaire totally destroyed an invader in 2 hits, I know the invader didn't expect that because of how weak the NPCs usually are, so funny to watch!

Edit - managed to kill BoC by upgrading and two-handing a Silver Knight Shield which was the best stability shield I could two-hand. The flippy ring might've also helped dodging the handsweeps but I didn't have the ring slot. The bug took two smacks bare-fisted rather than one on NG+3, lol.

Tarkus

If all else fails for you, visit the female Undead Merchant in the sewer that connects upper and lower Undead Burg.
She sells poison arrows for 100 souls each.

Take a break then return, the game is worth it, there are more ares you missed in the undead burg

sn00zer

Finally beat those fucking gargoyles...got damn
EDIT: SOooooooo Capra Demon...think Ill let that guy sit for a while....btw is there a place to get a bow? Cant fight moth thing because of bow, Capra wrecked me, lower ghosts wreck me, onion knight area locked

ulua

EDIT: SOooooooo Capra Demon...think Ill let that guy sit for a while....btw is there a place to get a bow? Cant fight moth thing because of bow, Capra wrecked me, lower ghosts wreck me, onion knight area locked

there are multiple places, but the closest one to you is the vendor in undead burg. from the undead burg fire take a right out of the door go down the stairs and then to the left where there are two undead with shields & spears. there is a flight of stairs hidden that goes down to another room where there is one more undead, and then out the door on the ledge you will see an undead vendor (unless, of course, you already killed him
for his uchigatana
). he sells a short bow.

There's a free long bow in Darkroot Basin - btw the basin/forest is a great place to explore if you're having trouble with the Capra Demon, there's some nice loot there to help with defense against Capra and his pups.
Wolf Ring and a couple of the best armour sets

You don't need a bow for that boss fight. It's doable as a pure melee class :)

sn00zer

Is it worth it to buy the repair/enhance kits for bonfires?... i swear every item and treasure and this game might as well be a monkey paw

Is it worth it to buy the repair/enhance kits for bonfires?... i swear every item and treasure and this game might as well be a monkey paw

Yes, is worth it if you break your gear often and dont remember where the blacksmith is.

You will find some shortcuts later and kinda get rid of the repair powder

Booshka

Beat my first play through yesterday. I started playing back in April or May and I ended up with 130+ hours logged and a pyro at SL 90+. I didn't play the way most people recommend, but I did play in the way that allowed me to keep enjoying the game:

• Watched a lot of play throughs and relied on guides up to the gargoyles. Then backed off a bit, but still used them a fair amount.
  • Cheesed enemies when I was able (
    Manus, undead dragon and hellcat drake
    ).
  • Summoned for several bosses (
    O+S, Artorias, Gaping Dragon, Kalameet, Gwyn, Priscilla
    ).

I didn't realize that character level wasn't as important as weapon level until O+S. I think I was a level 55-ish by then. Every time I summoned, I would marvel at the amount of damage other characters were inflicting. That was true even at the final boss.

When I started playing, I knew that it wasn't the type of game that I usually played, but I ended up really enjoying it. That said, I'm looking forward to switching back to something less stress-inducing before diving into DS2.

Everything there is fine, outside of cheesing Manus, you should throw your summon sign down and try helping some other players to fight him legit. Really fun fight.

Learning that Gear is far more important than your level is key to playing Souls games. You can min/max your stats then invest in your gear and do a lot better than if you just kept dumping souls into levels.

Beat my first play through yesterday. I started playing back in April or May and I ended up with 130+ hours logged and a pyro at SL 90+. I didn't play the way most people recommend, but I did play in the way that allowed me to keep enjoying the game:

• Watched a lot of play throughs and relied on guides up to the gargoyles. Then backed off a bit, but still used them a fair amount.
  • Cheesed enemies when I was able (
    Manus, undead dragon and hellcat drake
    ).
  • Summoned for several bosses (
    O+S, Artorias, Gaping Dragon, Kalameet, Gwyn, Priscilla
    ).

I didn't realize that character level wasn't as important as weapon level until O+S. I think I was a level 55-ish by then. Every time I summoned, I would marvel at the amount of damage other characters were inflicting. That was true even at the final boss.

When I started playing, I knew that it wasn't the type of game that I usually played, but I ended up really enjoying it. That said, I'm looking forward to switching back to something less stress-inducing before diving into DS2.

But of course that the real charm of the game, play the way you want it and less asking for help. Taking break when you hit a wall and returning back to action is a common circle in this game for some players.

And yes O&S are a learning wall for your understanding of the game combat like the sen fortress is for your awareness.

Worry not DS2 is less stressing but confusing in some mechanics

sn00zer

Moth was a cake walk...only took two real tries...no to figure out where the watch tower is...and its basement..thought that was capra demon area, but i guess not

I think I broke the forest covenant. Messing around shooting Sif from outside the boss fog again - I wanted to see what happened if he died whilst an invader was in my world and although I had one in when I started attack him, since then it's been nothing but failed invasions. :3

Booshka

I think I broke the forest covenant. Messing around shooting Sif from outside the boss fog again - I wanted to see what happened if he died whilst an invader was in my world and although I had one in when I started attack him, since then it's been nothing but failed invasions. :3

You mean that the Forest Ring is no longer pulling invasions? Or that you are getting Failed to Invade via Orb invasions.

You mean that the Forest Ring is no longer pulling invasions? Or that you are getting Failed to Invade via Orb invasions.
I couldn't get anyone to invade me. The fog gate was constantly going up, then going down again like a failed invasion. I wanted an invader in my game at the point I killed Sif from outside the boss room to see what happened, had him down to just a couple of arrows-worth of HP, but no one could invade it seemed even though the fog gate near the bonfire was constantly going up, and couldn't summon white phantoms either.

Beyond that, I also couldn't put down my white soapstone summon sign (when an invasion wasn't trying to happen). I went outside the covenant pvp area back to the bonfire and the summon sign worked there just fine. Seems like engaging Sif from outside the boss room makes the game think you're inside the boss room, so no pvp/co-op can then connect even though it keeps trying. Reminds me of how when being invaded in Anor Londo - walking into the O&S boss room immediately sends home an invader at the point they materialise (well you don't see them at all, but get the message they've been sent home as soon as they arrive in your world).

I also found a way up on to the top of the hillside inside the Sif boss area, near the doorway, opposite side to where you can hit him from outside, but you can't go very far until you fall through the geometry, nice place to leave a message though! Just lots of messing about tonight, I've hit a wall with 4 Kings in NG+3 so I needed a distraction.

Booshka

I couldn't get anyone to invade me. The fog gate was constantly going up, then going down again like a failed invasion. I wanted an invader in my game at the point I killed Sif from outside the boss room to see what happened, had him down to just a couple of arrows-worth of HP, but no one could invade it seemed even though the fog gate near the bonfire was constantly going up, and couldn't summon white phantoms either.

Beyond that, I also couldn't put down my white soapstone summon sign (when an invasion wasn't trying to happen). I went outside the covenant pvp area back to the bonfire and the summon sign worked there just fine. Seems like engaging Sif from outside the boss room makes the game think you're inside the boss room, so no pvp/co-op can then connect even though it keeps trying. Reminds me of how when being invaded in Anor Londo - walking into the O&S boss room immediately sends home an invader at the point they materialise (well you don't see them at all, but get the message they've been sent home as soon as they arrive in your world).

I also found a way up on to the top of the hillside inside the Sif boss area, near the doorway, opposite side to where you can hit him from outside, but you can't go very far until you fall through the geometry, nice place to leave a message though! Just lots of messing about tonight, I've hit a wall with 4 Kings in NG+3 so I needed a distraction.

Duke's skip will break the game similarly. Without first
dying to Seath
then getting to the second part of the level, online interaction is borked. I remember LobosJr was doing a co op only pacifist run where he did Duke's skip. He wasn't able to see summon signs, or invasions, and he had a Stream full of people trying to help/harm him. He had to go back to
Seath's room and die
then he was able to see signs again.

So try fighting Sif and dying to him, maybe it will fix the glitch like it did for Lobos.

Also if you are PC or 360 I can help with co op on 4 Kings if you want. I have a lot of different characters that are probably in range.

sn00zer

Been just kinda wandering. Found some Vally of the Drakes, killed a baby dragon, then a zombie dragon scared me so I ran by it after getting items, the went to Blight ton....immediately got poisened so I went back to do something else. Got to the main area again, then the giant crow scared the shit out of me, wasnt expecting it. Then Went down and ran by some ghosts to grab shit....Ill head back later...and then I found a skeleton graveyard.....neat game.

I don't understand when people call the Super Londo Bros. a "learning wall" or a "test" or something. They're not a test. They're just two huge assholes who are tough to beat. There's no secret skill you haven't learned yet that you now need to use to beat them, unless you've gone the entire game refusing to roll.

Sickbean

I don't understand when people call the Super Londo Bros. a "learning wall" or a "test" or something. They're not a test. They're just two huge assholes who are tough to beat. There's no secret skill you haven't learned yet that you now need to use to beat them, unless you've gone the entire game refusing to roll.

Hmmm, not sure I agree.

They are a test in managing space, not panicking, waiting for openings, (and summoning if you can't manage the above)

Donos

I think roll is not really needed for them (if you also use good Shield). Like Sickbeam said, managing space and openings is way more important.

In NG, i was rather a "Shield Up" player with the Balder Shield the whole game. Started more rolling to the end of NG and then more in NG+ and ++ because of two-handing the Claymore +15 most of the time.

Duke's skip will break the game similarly. Without first
dying to Seath
then getting to the second part of the level, online interaction is borked. I remember LobosJr was doing a co op only pacifist run where he did Duke's skip. He wasn't able to see summon signs, or invasions, and he had a Stream full of people trying to help/harm him. He had to go back to
Seath's room and die
then he was able to see signs again.

So try fighting Sif and dying to him, maybe it will fix the glitch like it did for Lobos.

Also if you are PC or 360 I can help with co op on 4 Kings if you want. I have a lot of different characters that are probably in range.
That's interesting, I've never done the Duke's skip successfully - tried and died a couple of times and gave up.

I've offed Sif now any way, and I'm on PS3 (of course!) I did the 4 Kings solo on NG+ and +2, so I should be able to do it, I'm used to tanking them but with not much HP they're hitting hard now. I'd still like to see what happens when you kill Sif when an invader is present, just to spook them more than anything! I guess the game will send them home normally, but still.

I thought Queelag already taught you about "managing space." If she corners you then you can get instakilled by her AoE, you need to stand in the right spot or back away to not get hit by her fire sword, having a fire-resist shield helps noticeably in blocking her sword. Manage your stamina while attacking, patience because she has a ton of health, learning tells so you know when to attack, move around her, or run away entirely.

I just don't see how fighting two bosses with largely randomized patterns teaches anything that the rest of the game hasn't already taught, and in ways that don't involve wildly varying difficult with each attempt too. I would say what you "learn" from Pikachu and Snorlax applies only to them, because it's the only fight with two distinct bosses. There's no guaranteed win, and the game WILL screw you over at times. Sometimes Ornstein will immediately rush you and Smough shovels literally 5 times in a row while that's happening. Other times Smough will waddle across the room while you stagger Ornstein and take 80% of his health 10 seconds into the fight. I usually like fighting those stupid assholes and I've come up with some pretty consistent ways to beat them, but I think that fight gets too much credit. Unless you mean for getting your weapon to +10, because there's a blacksmith who sells chunks right by them and you barely do anything to them without +10 weapons.

ElTopo

Banned
One thing I think DS2 does a bit better than DS1 is that I think pretty much every single boss in DS1 can have their attacks blocked (with a Greatshield obviously). So you can play that block/attack game well. The only boss fight I don't think it applies to are the Knights of the Abyss in which it pays just to cheese them. And yes, I beat Artorias by blocking his attacks and getting a swipe or two in.

It's funny, I learned this the hard way in DS 2 when the Rotten just kicked my fucking ass when I tried to block his swings. Eventually I figured it out and became adapt at dodging.

I'm currently stuck at the
Gargoyle(s) boss(es)
What's the best way to defeat this enemy?

Go close to him and attacks him after he attacks you you can stun it when he is about to do a light attack or you landed three hits. Beat him faster so you can heal before tohe other spawns. dont forget to cut his tal for a reward.

They are weak
to fire and lightning

I really don't understand this game. I still can't figure out how to beat these guys. The game doesn't give me enough time to test out what works and what doesn't with them. It is also very tedious fighting the same exact enemies over and over again.

Top Bottom