• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

MUnited83

For you.
Everytime I walk into a Gamestop there are like 4-5 used copies of Dark Souls noticeably more than any other game outside of annual sports.

Im starting to think Bloodborne might not sell very well. I think a lof people jumped on the DS bandwagon only to find the game was just not for them.

The first Dark Souls? It's a relatively old game. And which version was it? The game was given for XBL Gold subscribers. Many people that already owned it traded their physical copies up to get a few bucks, it makes sense.

Dark Souls sold well, Dark Souls 2 sold even better. Bloodborne will sell just fine.

Booshka

Just had a really great speedrun of one of my favorite challenges, Meowcenaries. You have to try and beat the game as fast as possible on NG+ and beyond while wearing the Cat Covenant ring at all times, (except boss fights). Wearing this ring will get you summoned into random invasions at any time, if you lose, you restart at your most recent bonfire and have to progress again, if you win, you refill your Estus/spells and don't lose any progress.

Run is an hour and 45 minutes long.

Highlighted the entire thing on Twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/booshka/c/5608810

Arnie

Does anyone know who the best EU Souls players are? I know that people like EpicNameBro and Peeve are globally some of the most well known, but I want to know who are the best in Europe specifically? Do they stream etc.

Booshka

Does anyone know who the best EU Souls players are? I know that people like EpicNameBro and Peeve are globally some of the most well known, but I want to know who are the best in Europe specifically? Do they stream etc.
Some of the best players in the World are actually in EU.

http://www.twitch.tv/santzo84 WR Holder for Dark Souls 1 Speedruns

http://www.twitch.tv/elajjazAnother excellent Souls runner.

http://www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
Excellent PvP player, he mostly plays Dark Souls 2 right now, but will probably come back to DkS 1 when GFWL is removed.

There are some others as well. Noobest, Eliiti, TheUrbanOrb, etc. Ton of great players.

Today I learned WotG can set off the floor traps in Sen's - picture it, run across the bridge stop right behind the first lizard sorcerer, WotG him to death and we both die like one as the arrows stab me right in the back!

Some of the best players in the World are actually in EU.

http://www.twitch.tv/santzo84 WR Holder for Dark Souls 1 Speedruns

http://www.twitch.tv/elajjazAnother excellent Souls runner.

http://www.twitch.tv/blueberryknights
Excellent PvP player, he mostly plays Dark Souls 2 right now, but will probably come back to DkS 1 when GFWL is removed.

There are some others as well. Noobest, Eliiti, TheUrbanOrb, etc. Ton of great players.

Good list of European players! Elajjaz has some really entertaining streams.

TheUrbanOrb has done some crazy Dark Souls 1 stuff. You can watch his "Dark Souls Restricted SL1 NG+7" run on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheUrbanOrb

Basically, it's NG+7 SL1 run, but he's also cursed and wearing the Dusk Crown Ring, so basically everything is a one hit kill. And then he has to kill every single enemy in every area. There were other restrictions as well, but I don't recall what they were. He also has some of the most interesting Souls commentary on his vids, in my opinion.

tumblr_nf3wrpiWoL1u31ghoo1_75sq.gif

^ Is that Demon's Souls armor?

(No, I still haven't played DeS...still no PS3. I fully intend to get one and DeS eventually, but PS3's are still kind of expensive for how old the console is. And I'll admit to still holding out a small bit of hope for a DeS remaster for PS4.)

Tarkus

^ Is that Demon's Souls armor?

(No, I still haven't played DeS...still no PS3. I fully intend to get one and DeS eventually, but PS3's are still kind of expensive for how old the console is. And I'll admit to still holding out a small bit of hope for a DeS remaster for PS4.)
Yes, that's the Gloom Set from Yurt. Demon's is so good. You're really missing out.

And the PVP/Co-op is still very active. Dat console exclusivity.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, it's monday! We're either getting the Steam migration today, or definite news on when it'll happen! :D

If you're trying to get invaded in the forest what level range do you wanna be? Since it goes up indefinitely for forest invasions do you just wanna be as high a level as possible? Without killing sif obviously ?

Roven

Banned
So with the migration being done soon (hopefully), will DSFix continue to work?
Has there been a comment by Durante regarding this topic?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So with the migration being done soon (hopefully), will DSFix continue to work?
Has there been a comment by Durante regarding this topic?

We don't know until the patch updates, basically is what Durante said.

ElTopo

Banned
Just got a patch update on Steam. Checked the Steam forums and no patch notes. Going to boot it up and see if anything's really different.

Edit: I have to uninstall and reinstall because it definitely borked DSfix and DSMousefix.

Just got a patch update on Steam. Checked the Steam forums and no patch notes. Going to boot it up and see if anything's really different.

Likewise. The only difference was when I booted up the game, the steam UI popped up on the bottom as it usually does with steam games and a little notification as well that the game requires a key. Still offline mode, though.

Divius

Copy pasting from the steam thread:

Dear Dark Souls fans,

You can now update your Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition for PC game to replace the Games for Windows Live functionality with Steamworks functionality. The update is available from today – December 15th and will let you keep both your Save Data and Achievements.
Please read below or visit http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/s/ to read the update process.

If you played or are currently playing Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition, you will be able to update and keep your Save Data and Achievements. The Save Data and Achievements transfer service is being provided from December 15th to February 16th. From February 16th, the new version using Steamworks functionalities will become the default version of the game.

Please read the process below to update your game properly. Please note that from February 16th, we cannot guarantee that your Save Data and Achievements will be able to be transferred.

CASE 1: If you already purchased Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition prior to December 15th, the following process will be available to February 16th for you to transfer your Save Data and Achievements.

For users who purchased a Game for Windows live version from a retailer (Disc) or Games for Windows Live Marketplace (Digital):
1) We recommend that you add Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die to your Steam account using your serial
2) Launch the game and connect to Games for Windows Live.
3) Run the game (only the currently signed-in user’s Save Data and Achievements can be transferred to Steam).
4) Close the Game.
5) Right click on your game in the Steam Library, go into Properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“
6) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam
7) The game will look for previous Save Data and Achievements. If Save Data and Achievements are detected on your computer, you should be able to continue your progress in the game. Achievements should be unlocked in Steam.

For users who purchased a Game for Windows live version from Steam:
1) Launch the game and connect to Games for Windows Live.
2) Run the game (only the currently signed-on user’s progress can be transferred to Steam).
3) Close Games for Windows Live
4) Right click on your game in the Steam Library, go into Properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“
5) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam
6) Sign in using the same live profile used in step-2 to import your Save Data and Achievements from the Games for Windows Live version to the Steam version for the same profile (gamertag)
7) The game will look for previous Save Data and Achievements. If they are detected on your computer, you should be able to continue your progress in the game and achievements should be unlocked in Steam.

CASE 2: For users who purchase Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition between December 15th and February 16th:

1) Once the game is downloaded, right click on your game in the Steam library, go into properties, check that the BETA tab is set to “dsptde-2.0-“
2) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition v2.0 from Steam.

CASE 3: For users who purchase Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition on or after February 16th (this will be the steam only version):

1) Launch Dark Souls™ Prepare To Die Edition from Steam

ElTopo

Banned
So, they implemented none of the Durante fixes? And I can't use DSFix/DSMousefix in the new update and have to wait for an update to them.

Okay. I'm done supporting FROM and Namco. Between this and charging for an upgraded DS2 I'm done with them.

Fucking Japanese companies always have to be cheapskate dicks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If anyone else got in early to the non-beta version, and it hasn't been updated as of like ~an hour ago~ would you be willing to post a backup of your DARKSOULS.exe file?

It looks like they accidentally pushed a DEV branch which has full debug mode access, and I would absolutely LOVE to get access to that.

It lets you toggle free fly mode and view a bunch of the internal data that's going on that would be super interesting for me.

B46bBD8CIAEyskj.jpg:large

So, they implemented none of the Durante fixes? And I can't use DSFix/DSMousefix in the new update and have to wait for an update to them.

Okay. I'm done supporting FROM and Namco. Between this and charging for an upgraded DS2 I'm done with them.

Yeah I'm sure you'll never touch the Souls games again, mister/missus overreaction.

blado

Scholar of the first sin will have 8-10 hours of new content. Why wouldn't they charge for it? Are you so entitled that you expect 10 hours of new content for free?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Scholar of the first sin will have 8-10 hours of new content. Why wouldn't they charge for it? Are you so entitled that you expect 10 hours of new content for free?

The gameplay content is the free part. Enemy placement and graphical upgrade is what costs money. Along with 5 summonable phantoms.

PLS From remove the region-based matchmaking. Sweden is a tiny region, at least population wise, even more so PC gaming wise.

Levyne

Banned
In case anyone missed it, Durante has already patched DSFix to work with the new Steam client, even fully at 60fps:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7eq09AQ0R1rziwwco1_500.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Excellent. I wouldn't have seen this otherwise.

sjack

Banned
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition doesn't show up on Steam because of some bullshit region locking shenanigans from Microsoft (I live in Bulgaria). I want to buy it but can't. Anyone know a way around this

Am I the only person in history who's feeling the battle axe? Got a 27 st 30 faith guy at level 50 and am loving wrecking with it for some reason, even more than the dragon tooth and large clubs. Since you can fast roll with it (my end is shit obviously with those offensive stats). Its just satisfying and with sunlight blade Gg, even tho the buff doesn't last long.range is crap I'm just having so much fun rolling in people's grill and standing on top of them whaling.

Anustart

Just beat the second boss in the DLC. Took a couple tries, but was a good refresher on waiting for openings properly and I actually got decent at rolling, since prior to that I just tank everything with mah shield.

Booshka

Am I the only person in history who's feeling the battle axe? Got a 27 st 30 faith guy at level 50 and am loving wrecking with it for some reason, even more than the dragon tooth and large clubs. Since you can fast roll with it (my end is shit obviously with those offensive stats). Its just satisfying and with sunlight blade Gg, even tho the buff doesn't last long.range is crap I'm just having so much fun rolling in people's grill and standing on top of them whaling.

Battle Axe is legit, love it on my 40/20 STR Build, it staggers and stunlocks really hard, has great damage and speed for its weight. The range and stagger on miss is a major drawback, and good players can easily roll BS or avoid it, but it's satisfying as hell to use. I like the look of it too.

For a 27 STR build, try the Pickaxe or Mace as well, they are even tougher to use, but will do more damage, and stagger just as hard as the Battle Axe.

Is Faith build better for a melee centric character?
Fair and dex is good for the sunlight blade buff. Faith and str is ok Too, there it's good for combining with wotg, and using twop to set up huge smashes. Faith isn't good on it's own like int is imo due to the limited amount of offensive firepower it gives you.

Top Bottom