• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Stole some info from the Bandai forums, Senior moderator talked to some community manager and...

Pash Master said:
I heard back from my CM, basically we're waiting on FromSoft to give word on what's going to happen as they haven't sent through any details yet. So sometime next week we should have some more info to share.

Sorry about the wait!.

Basically, we know nothing.

Definitely looking forward to the transition from GFWL. That program has probably single-handedly stopped many people from even having the opportunity to try the game out.

Ok so last night. Victory achieved. 103 hours and wow. Was exhausted but in the end I wanted more.

Thought about doing NG+, but instead went for another NG. I like starting from scratch. I have purchased Dark Souls II on Steam as well, but that's for another thread isn't it?

ibynFHBBKodYu9.gif

Tarkus

I've been holding off on killing the Stray Demon with my new build so I can get my slab when I needed it. Returned to the Asylum and ...humanity, homeward bone, and a CHUNK?!?

Damn you Dark Souls

Tarkus

What, that's a guaranteed Slab every time. I've killed him like a thousand times and gotten slab every time.
I've killed him at least 10 times myself and have always gotten slabs. No slab this time. I googled it. It has happened to others as well. Oh well, back to New Londo.

Edit: I just realized that my Black Leather Armor is at +10 and that's as high as it goes. There's my slab. Fuck. Too many beers tonight.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I've killed him at least 10 times myself and have always gotten slabs. No slab this time. I googled it. It has happened to others as well. Oh well, back to New Londo.

Edit: I just realized that my Black Leather Armor is at +10 and that's as high as it goes. There's my slab. Fuck. Too many beers tonight.

Funny memory about this vid, after I killed the boss I actually forgot the grab the Slab sitting right behind me there at the end. ;p Not that it was needed anyway since this was a no upgrades, no healing SL1 run (my first), but still damn couldn't believe I totally forgot that... xD

I wanna kill giant blacksmith on my onebro. What weapons should I make lightninf first for completionists sake? Obv max out titanite, lightning bolts, and his armor. Gonna ascend a light cross, club, r club, hand axe, not sure what else. Do parrying or regular dagger benefit from lightning at level 1 a lot? Is the pick axe worth farming and lightning up? Anything else im forgetting? Heavy crossbow worth ascending? Probably never gonna move to ng+ because I like being able to invade over the whole map but I want that smith hammer

Booshka

I wanna kill giant blacksmith on my onebro. What weapons should I make lightninf first for completionists sake? Obv max out titanite, lightning bolts, and his armor. Gonna ascend a light cross, club, r club, hand axe, not sure what else. Do parrying or regular dagger benefit from lightning at level 1 a lot? Is the pick axe worth farming and lightning up? Anything else im forgetting? Heavy crossbow worth ascending? Probably never gonna move to ng+ because I like being able to invade over the whole map but I want that smith hammer

Dagger is actually decent at +15 with Gold Pine Resin, you get most of your damage from the DPS of Gold Pine Resin, so I wouldn't take that lightning.

The regular Battle Axe might be a good weapon to take Lightning, it's a another strong SL 1 weapon. Heavy Crossbow is about 40 AR stronger than Light Cross, but weighs 2 more units, so not really worth it, since you are managing equip load so much. Pick Axe is decent, but not worth messing with really, it has a stagger on miss mechanic, relies mostly on STR scaling and has extremely short range.

sn00zer

Rerented/borrowed Dark Souls....man everytime I give up on this game a whole new path opens up.
Id been stuck for a while so I returned it last week. Didnt want to face the Capra Demon, wolf boss just steam rolled me, Blight Town just wasnt any fun...and I was just about done. Re rented to give it some more time. Went to face th Capra Demon and just as I was about to enter the portal, I noticed the stair case to the right of the door. Followed it and found a short cut to another bonfire. A new shortcut and I dont have to fuck with the assassins? LETS DO THIS... turns out, by avoiding that fight I was overlevelled and kind of destroyed him in two tries. Yay!
Off to the HORRIBLY FUCKING SCARY SEWERS....and had absolutely no issues...just sort of sauntered through it. I remembered friends and online folks complaining about curses or something, so I took out the toads carefully and not a single curse. Gaping dragon boss was fucking amazing, the design was just so damn cool, and then I sort of walked all over him in one try (Demon Souls Rule 1: run around the enemy in circles)...

After all that...fucking Blight town key...GAAAAAHHHH...so I bought a super cool helmet from a guy in the sewers and headed out again.....and again I was stuck.
Wolf still wooping me all day....Noping all over Blighttown...some annoying ghosts down under. And then I remembered those catacombs with those regenerating skeletons....I cheated a little and looked online, I was pretty much done with experimenting how to kill them. Divined my unused Shortsword since switching to long sword and some beast of a sword near the dragon and off into the catacombs....and holy shit that place is big.

Currently sorta stuck again after beating
spinwheel or carwheel or whatever that guys name was
, but Im enjoying my time. Probably just going to google
how to not toxic immediately in Blight Town and how to light the damn lantern for the giants graveyard
Such a fun game, love the constant roadblocks forcing you to reexplore...and then being rewarded for reexploring with new areas rather than just items. I still have some major issues with the game, especially in explaining basic mechanics
why the hell cant blacksmiths explain what enchanting does?
but damn is it fun exploring that world.

Oh and best creature design in any game Ive ever played...every enemy is just fantastic looking.

EDIT: In the past two weeks Ive become insanely excited to play Bloodborne...game was kinda off my radar I thought the enemy design looked neat....but yeah incredibly pumped now...thinking of picking up a PS4 with it. And now I understand why so many people went on blackout on media....probably the only game I want as little information as possible

Currently sorta stuck again after beating
spinwheel or carwheel or whatever that guys name was
, but Im enjoying my time. Probably just going to google
how to not toxic immediately in Blight Town and how to light the damn lantern for the giants graveyard
Such a fun game, love the constant roadblocks forcing you to reexplore...and then being rewarded for reexploring with new areas rather than just items. I still have some major issues with the game, especially in explaining basic mechanics
why the hell cant blacksmiths explain what enchanting does?
but damn is it fun exploring that world.
Don't travel too far down into the Tomb of Giants after the Pinwheel boss as at this point in the game that area is a dead end and a bitch to get out of. The next thing you really want to do is ring the second bell which is in Blighttown (the dude sat by the bonfire at Firelink Shrine tells you this in case you weren't sure).

Re: Toxic, item help:
The tree enemies in the forest area drop 3 kinds of moss, the regular purple is for poison, the BLOOMING purple also cures toxic.
and Equipment help:
The Spider Shield blocks poison and toxic and if you explore the Depths which you've already been to, there one to be had as loot for free, there's another one but this is easier to get. Bandit class also starts out with it.

sn00zer

Don't travel too far down into the Tomb of Giants after the Pinwheel boss as at this point in the game that area is a dead end and a bitch to get out of. The next thing you really want to do is ring the second bell which is in Blighttown (the dude sat by the bonfire at Firelink Shrine tells you this in case you weren't sure).

Re: Toxic, item help:
The tree enemies in the forest area drop 3 kinds of moss, the regular purple is for poison, the BLOOMING purple also cures toxic.
and Equipment help:
The Spider Shield blocks poison and toxic and if you explore the Depths which you've already been to, there one to be had as loot for free, there's another one but this is easier to get. Bandit class also starts out with it.

Ah thanks...trying to read as little as possible.... I just hate these experimental roadblocks that really dont give you any indication of how to pass them without tons of experimentation.

EDIT: If its something I think I can beat on my own I dont look it up, no boss strategies, key locations, weapon/item locations...nuffin...but god dammit if they set up some weird ass roadblock that is just not even fun to try and figure out.

Ah thanks...trying to read as little as possible.... I just hate these experimental roadblocks that really dont give you any indication of how to pass them without tons of experimentation.

EDIT: If its something I think I can beat on my own I dont look it up, no boss strategies, key locations, weapon/item locations...nuffin...but god dammit if they set up some weird ass roadblock that is just not even fun to try and figure out.

I think thats the idea, die and learn

sn00zer

I think thats the idea, die and learn

I enjoy dying and learning in combat, not dying and learning because this enemy has a specific attack that can only be alleviated through a specific item. I like the combat and exploration puzzles, not the item puzzles.

EDIT: In other news I really hope they have a more consistent enemy friendly fire rule....sometimes enemies damage other enemies sometimes they dont...who knows?

Tarkus

Yeah, Spider Shield is great if you want to explore upper Blighttown. Personally, I would just blast through it, only stopping to fight the wall creature. You'll likely never go back up there after you get to the bottom...it sucks that bad. There is decent loot there though.

Inskipp

I'm fine with them taking their time in order to iron out any kinks.
Pretty much this. Would be a rather pointless patch if it would introduce more problems than it would aim to fix.

Also good to read that they are moving saves over to steam. Couple of my friends will be relieved for sure.

kabel

I can't connect to Live.

Just wanted to try DS, installed it, installed DSfix. Can't play.

Issue: 0x80151801 Can't connect to Windows live. I reinstalled it, still the same.

Had someone the same problems? How do you fix it?

Win7, Intel XEON, 8GB, 270X

edit: ok I tried to play offline but it said that I can't save my game. Controls are messed up too. Feels like every 2nd button on my gamepad is an attack, don't know why. Can't turn the camera, can't focus enemies. First big enemy is this demon but I do shit trying to hit him. Only have this broken sword. Died like 10 times now, only doing like 1% damage to him.

That game is the worst I have ever played(I mean the technical aspects). I'd love to give it a chance but it's messed up you can't imagine.

I hope the gfwl patch will solve some problems.

First big enemy is this demon but I do shit trying to hit him. Only have this broken sword. Died like 10 times now, only doing like 1% damage to him.
I can't help with the technical difficulties unfortunately, but this is the introduction to the game and it's giving you a very important lesson about how to play the rest of the game that will benefit you to the very end of it, which is: pay attention to your surroundings.

Easy answer "spoiler":
In the room on the far of the left wall (as you are facing the room from the entrance), there is an exit, run through it. You are not supposed to fight the Asylum Demon with just the broken sword, your actual starter weapon is through this exit.
Also read the orange messages on the ground, they are basic gameplay instructions and important hints on how to kill the intro boss.

kabel

Also read the orange messages on the ground, they are basic gameplay instructions and important hints on how to kill the intro boss.

Yeah I know that. The problem is just this: I can't play this game with 50% of the time the camera not showing the enemy.
I can't turn it. I can't focus enemies.

I tried to escape the demon but couldn't because I didn't saw where he is and what he is doing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I can't connect to Live.

Just wanted to try DS, installed it, installed DSfix. Can't play.

Issue: 0x80151801 Can't connect to Windows live. I reinstalled it, still the same.

Had someone the same problems? How do you fix it?

can you log in to your MS account on xbox.com?

ulua

dont know if anyone posted about it yet or not, but dark souls is currently 66% off on steam ($6.79) if anyone is looking to grab it. i've seen it a dollar or two cheaper, but for the price you really cant beat it.

Sullichin

Hi!
I finally got so burnt out on Dark Souls that I had to quit. Never even finished the third DLC for DSII!

But I will be back the second the online for this moves to Steam, with my level 70 black knight to troll in Tomb of Giants, among many other characters with 100+ hour playtimes. Playing this on PC without the massive blight of GFWL is going to be amazing. GFWL completely wrecked the online component of this game, and it's still worth putting up with because it's that good. I look forward to not having to wait 20 minutes to invade.

ulua

Goddamn! I just got DkSII for $14.99!!! The end maybe near for Dark Souls.

is this deal available somewhere or did you just end up getting a good trade? i'd totally buy it right now for that cheap

or am i dumb for assuming you got the PC version? =P

Just saw a cursed statue besides the ladder just outside/down from the bonfire room in the Depths. It was so unexpected to see it there it kind of made me jump - then I realised it must've been some player running for his life towards the bonfire with the basilisks chasing him all the way, almost made it too the poor chap!

I am working on my first play through. I am at the two gold guys in that city and it was rough with no humanity. So I went to the depths to farm and decided to put on my forest hunter ring.

Y'all are murderers. I am bringing shame to my covenant.

Tarkus

is this deal available somewhere or did you just end up getting a good trade? i'd totally buy it right now for that cheap

or am i dumb for assuming you got the PC version? =P
Best Buy in the US.

so which one of you have been putting wizard lizards all over sens the past few days?
IDK, but I left a vagrant in Royal Wood yesterday for sure...lost 550K souls and 42 humanity.

Re: vagrants, does it matter if you pick up the bloodstain or is it only if you lose your souls/humanity from the bloodstain that they can spawn for others?

I must admit this aspect still baffles me a little, I think I've only ever seen 3 or 4 vagrants in my entire time playing the game. And in NG+7 atm and in the whole time from NG+1 to now I've never seen a gravelord sign, message or BP enemy which is kind of disappointing. Wish that covenant was implimented better.

Tarkus

I think vagrants only spawn when someone doesn't make it back to their bloodstain, but I'm not sure. I've seen a few, a couple in Anor Londo and Kiln.

I've never seen a Gravelord sign but have been Gravelorded many times. Maybe you just have to walk over the sign to be cursed. I really like being Gravelorded and wish it happened more and not just in NG+ and beyond.

Donos

I think vagrants only spawn when someone doesn't make it back to their bloodstain, but I'm not sure. I've seen a few, a couple in Anor Londo and Kiln.

I've never seen a Gravelord sign but have been Gravelorded many times. Maybe you just have to walk over the sign to be cursed. I really like being Gravelorded and wish it happened more and not just in NG+ and beyond.

Royal Wood, when gravelorded, with BP giants (stone guardians?) and BP tree guys in addition to the existing ones is a nice challenge.

BP giants pack the biggest punch off normal enemies. I got smacked up pretty bad the first time it happened in NG++

sn00zer

Everytime I walk into a Gamestop there are like 4-5 used copies of Dark Souls noticeably more than any other game outside of annual sports.

Im starting to think Bloodborne might not sell very well. I think a lof people jumped on the DS bandwagon only to find the game was just not for them.

Everytime I walk into a Gamestop there are like 4-5 used copies of Dark Souls noticeably more than any other game outside of annual sports.

Im starting to think Bloodborne might not sell very well. I think a lof people jumped on the DS bandwagon only to find the game was just not for them.

It's also a 3 year old game.

Bloodborne looking more character action with the slick dodge moves make me think the game will be a console seller.

Top Bottom