• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

You need a +5 weapon at this point in the least. Raw is useless even though it looks better at this point. The best advice I can give you is to have the fast roll (equip load <25%) where you can avoid their drop attacks. Besides that attack, they shouldn't be a problem with your battle axe. Personally, I think a battle axe +3 is a little too weak for Anor Londo.

I have a claymore I neglected... I should give that a try.

Tarkus

I have a claymore I neglected... I should give that a try.
You and sn00zer both need to try it. That weapon will change how you play the game. Fully explore the moveset and switch frequently from one hand to two hand. Honestly, the Claymore probably has the most versatile moveset in the game.

By Anor Londo you really want a +10 weapon. I make it a point to get my weapon upgraded as far as possible, as fast as possible. Slapping your summon sign down at the Sen's Fortress boss door will probably pay for the titanite if you don't have it already, iirc it's 20,000 souls for white phantoms and it's a couple of minutes per fight, if that.

You and sn00zer both need to try it. That weapon will change how you play the game. Fully explore the moveset and switch frequently from one hand to two hand. Honestly, the Claymore probably has the most versatile moveset in the game.

I thought the best weapons were based around DEX in DS1?

Tarkus

This is highly opinionated, but I THINK the best weapon IS a DEX weapon: the Great Scythe. Battling Artorias at SL35 is starting to make me think differently...goddamn him. You also have to consider the Balder Side Sword and the Uchigatana. All these weapons are in my top 5.

Booshka

For PvP, yes, Dex is still the most successful, but all types of weapons can be used for PvE, especially if you go for +15 and Quality scaling (DEX and STR scaling).

Personally I love STR builds for their low level viability at +15, you only have to get to 27 STR for hard capped 2 handed weapon scaling. So a Large/Great Club or Man serpent Greatsword/Demon Great Machete do insane damage at only 27 STR.

For Quality you want to shoot for 27 STR and 40 DEX, or 40 STR if you want one handed damage to go up too.

We be Clubbin'

AlexBasch

So what's the consensus in the ADP stat? 20 or so?

Also, is this the DS2 thread? I'm giving the game another try and see if it clicks after beating Demon's and DS1, just asking to be sure. :p

Also, is this the DS2 thread? I'm giving the game another try and see if it clicks after beating Demon's and DS1, just asking to be sure. :p

This is the Dark Souls 1 thread. You want this one.

And IIRC, yeah, 20 is pretty good for adaptability. I think I usually go to 30 because I feel like I need them iframes, but I don't think that makes much of a difference over 20.

Booshka

I stopped playing Dark Souls 2 and came back to this game, but any combo of ATT and ADP that gets you to 100 Agility seemed like the sweet spot for me.

I never used magic so I had 26 ADP on my Bandit character, I suggest 100 Agility though.

I also suggest not playing Dark Souls 2.

The only way to win at Dark Souls II is not to play. :(
lol

Just disappointing, it's a great game, but a Souls letdown after the two masterpieces that came before it.
That's a fairer assessment. I just hate all the sloppy changes they made to the basic combat, that's my main gripe - the combat is worse and isn't as fun. Criticisms of the story, boss and enemy designs etc all come second to that for me. And two little letters
SM

GRIP

lol

That's a fairer assessment. I just hate all the sloppy changes they made to the basic combat, that's my main gripe - the combat is worse and isn't as fun. Criticisms of the story, boss and enemy designs etc all come second to that for me. And two little letters
SM

Like?

ArynCrinn

Banned
This is highly opinionated, but I THINK the best weapon IS a DEX weapon: the Great Scythe. Battling Artorias at SL35 is starting to make me think differently...goddamn him. You also have to consider the Balder Side Sword and the Uchigatana. All these weapons are in my top 5.

Try battling Artorias using a +15 Club (SL6 Deprived)/unupgraded Reinforced Club/unupgraded Hand Axe(SL1). I actually found him pretty damn easy to kill using the Great Scythe +15 on my SL4 char, even instances where it's pretty safe to double R2 him (no Power Within either btw :p).

I actually like to PvP the most using my SL4 char due to all the diversity the stats offer you with weapon choices vs. the other starting classes. Balder Side Sword, Bows/crossbow/, Great Scythe (two-handed only), etc. I even occasionally swap the Attunement Ring on for a Pyro spell occasionally, while of course swapping between Hornet/Leo/Red Tearstone/Cloranthy Rings. ....since I ONLY PvP at base-SL now and win 8 out of 10 times, still baffles me they got rid of the amazing kick in DkS2 and didn't just make Guard Breaking (click+RS+R1). But yeah, kick really makes for cool mind games when you can land it and be deceptive with it.

FFP2

Doesn't it have the same moveset as the Zweihander? Never bothered with it before.

How long should I be repeating an area before I know that I am doing something wrong?

It's not the boss persay, but the enemies that I fight to get to the boss.

Also I've been going #NoShield and #TwoHanded with my character.

Nah it's good (not perfect but neither is DS1) I don't know what these guys are on about.

Just disappointing, it's a great game, but a Souls letdown after the two masterpieces that came before it.

I'm trying to figure out if it's like Devil May Cry 2 (an abomination) or Devil May Cry 4 (still great but it came after the best in the series).

Haunted

I periodically check this thread because I'm afraid I'll miss the Steam update.

I'm constantly like "did I miss it? did I miss it?"

Why so much Dark Souls II hate? Is the game THAT bad?
Dark Souls 2 is amazing. My current GOTY 2014 frontrunner. It's much better than Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls is still the peak of the series.

neoemonk

I decided I'd go back and play the DLC before getting too far into Dark Souls II. Last week I defeated Artorias, and last night I finally got around to fighting Manus.

Manus was a hard fight for me, because I've never been much of a dodger. I've always been a medium roll/shield guy. Artorias gave me a little trouble until I just threw on Havel's and a Silver Knight Shield +5 and blocked/healed through most of his stuff. With Manus I couldn't do that.

I had to slim down to a fast roll and just die a lot until I got good enough at dodging his attacks. It took me all night but I eventually beat him. I've always taken too much damage trying to dodge, but I got good at it on Manus. I had no other choice.

One mistake I think I made with my character was focusing on faith and miracles. I don't really like them in Dark Souls. Wrath of God is good but you only get three uses, and Great Lightning Spear is SLOOOOWWWW to cast. Most of the time I hit things with my mace and blocked with my shield. Healing and Homeward were my go-to miracles.

I still have to fight Kalameet, but my main weapon for a long time has been Quelaag's Furysword. I would imagine I would want a lightning weapon based on the lore of the game, but I guess I'll find out.

Booshka

I decided I'd go back and play the DLC before getting too far into Dark Souls II. Last week I defeated Artorias, and last night I finally got around to fighting Manus.

Manus was a hard fight for me, because I've never been much of a dodger. I've always been a medium roll/shield guy. Artorias gave me a little trouble until I just threw on Havel's and a Silver Knight Shield +5 and blocked/healed through most of his stuff. With Manus I couldn't do that.

I had to slim down to a fast roll and just die a lot until I got good enough at dodging his attacks. It took me all night but I eventually beat him. I've always taken too much damage trying to dodge, but I got good at it on Manus. I had no other choice.

One mistake I think I made with my character was focusing on faith and miracles. I don't really like them in Dark Souls. Wrath of God is good but you only get three uses, and Great Lightning Spear is SLOOOOWWWW to cast. Most of the time I hit things with my mace and blocked with my shield. Healing and Homeward were my go-to miracles.

I still have to fight Kalameet, but my main weapon for a long time has been Quelaag's Furysword. I would imagine I would want a lightning weapon based on the lore of the game, but I guess I'll find out.

You're gonna want a Pure Physical weapon for most, if not all of the DLC. Elemental damage is relatively ineffective against most of the Bosses. Lightning uses the same materials as +15, so unless you have hardly any stats invested into STR/DEX, I would try to make a +15 weapon and buff it with Sunlight Blade (if you have it).

neoemonk

Just finished Kalameet. Took me maybe ten tries, versus the five plus hours I spent on Manus.

I ended up two handing a Winged Spear +15. Had to dodge a lot on him but I picked it up a lot easier than the Manus fight.

I'm going to move on to Dark Souls II now, but I can see myself coming back to this for NG+ on beyond.

Why so much Dark Souls II hate? Is the game THAT bad?

Design-wise the game seems pretty good, aside from a few moments of "We couldn't think of a way to make this boss more interesting, so we just made him able to kill you in one hit" (the DLC can be especially guilty of this). Mainly it suffers from a lot of minor and major system changes, basically none of which are any good at all. It really drags the game down when you need to put 18+ levels into a skill just to make rolling not awful, and even then the way the game handles dodging and weapon scaling is questionable. If you dropped Dark Souls rolling system into the game and messed with weapon scaling so that the difference between 22 Dex and 40 Dex isn't literally something like 20 damage, it would be much more enjoyable. The parry system is also not the least bit intuitive and takes quite a bit of trial and error, to the point that I forget parrying is even a mechanic in the game.

Kalameet is much easier than Manus. The only way I can see people thinking Kalameet is harder is because they took a long time trying to cut off his tail, since you need to lure him into doing a certain attack and standing in the right spot just afterwards. But overall Manus is way more punishing and hectic.

I've never tried them but maybe Karmic Justice and Vow of Silence might have been useful miracles in the Manus fight (not so sure about the last one, not sure if dark magic is covered by it?)

I like using the support spells in DS1 but it's often more of a curiosity or for fun than anything. Undead Rapport for example is a great idea, but I always find it difficult to cast and make it stick without getting hit. I like how the same kind of idea works better in DS2 with the seeds of giants.

FFP2

Design-wise the game seems pretty good, aside from a few moments of "We couldn't think of a way to make this boss more interesting, so we just made him able to kill you in one hit" (the DLC can be especially guilty of this). Mainly it suffers from a lot of minor and major system changes, basically none of which are any good at all.

Don't forget the awful hitboxes.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Those archers in Anor Londo never let up!

Lost 15,000 souls because one clipped me as I was running up the steeple.

Oh, I don't have a Claymore, but I went back and got the Uchigatana. Maxed to +5 and the damage is meh.

Oh, I don't have a Claymore, but I went back and got the Uchinata. Maxed to +5 and the damage is meh.
Did you find the large ember? location:
in the Depths.
Uchigatana is a regular weapon and can be upgraded past +5 to a max of
+15

Also it's not always about raw damage, lighter weapons hit for less damage, but also cost less stamina so you can swing them more times than a hulking great axe etc. iirc Uchi also has bleed on it (very good on certain bosses) and the most important factor to liking a weapon: the moveset.

Did you find the large ember? location:
in the Depths.
Uchigatana is a regular weapon and can be upgraded past +5 to a max of
+15

Also it's not always about raw damage, lighter weapons hit for less damage, but also cost less stamina so you can swing them more times than a hulking great axe etc. iirc Uchi also has bleed on it (very good on certain bosses) and the most important factor to liking a weapon: the moveset.

I have that one already. I previously posted about having a Raw Battle Axe +3, so I should grind for some souls and buy some Large Titanite.

I have that one already. I previously posted about having a Raw Battle Axe +3, so I should grind for some souls and buy some Large Titanite.
Quickest way is probably to put your summon sign down at the Sen's Fortress boss door, 20,000 per kill and it's one of the easier/fastest bosses for farming, plus the crestfallen merchant is right there in Sen's and he sells them.

Booshka

Uchi is also a Dexterity weapon, so it gets damage scaling from Dexterity, if you have low Dex, then the damage will be underwhelming. The more you work toward upgrading weapons to +15, the better the Scaling bonus for its respective stats will be, along with bumping up the Base damage. So pay attention to what Stats weapons scale with, upgrade and level accordingly.

Essay

Finally got around to installing my Steam copy that I bought during the summer sale and... it seems like I'll have to wait before I can play it. (?) Apparently there's some sort of migration going on transferring accounts from GfWL to Steam, and I can neither log into the game using just Steam, nor download the GfWL client from the website. Guess I'm going back to my 500 hr+ Xbox save for my DkS1 fix!

What mods have people been enjoying on the PC version though? I've been salivating at the prospect of the AI aggressiveness mod, but what else out there is fun?

Booshka

Finally got around to installing my Steam copy that I bought during the summer sale and... it seems like I'll have to wait before I can play it. (?) Apparently there's some sort of migration going on transferring accounts from GfWL to Steam, and I can neither log into the game using just Steam, nor download the GfWL client from the website. Guess I'm going back to my 500 hr+ Xbox save for my DkS1 fix!

What mods have people been enjoying on the PC version though? I've been salivating at the prospect of the AI aggressiveness mod, but what else out there is fun?

Perma-Gravelord.

The only way to win at Dark Souls II is not to play. :(

DS2 really disappointed me when I beat it at launch (well both of its launches 360 and PC lol), but getting back into it now (after the game has been patched a lot and the DLC is complete and PC mods now being available) the game isn't that bad. the combat system got a lot of upgrades in the sequel. some things like inventory management and loss of the kick are stupid, but the game has a lot of content and really satisfying combat. It's not as good as the first one, but it's better than most other games IMO. It also feels like it has much more content (weapons/spells/levels). the quality isn't as good as ds1, but anyone playing it off as not being worth playing is crazy

2AdEPT

Quickest way is probably to put your summon sign down at the Sen's Fortress boss door, 20,000 per kill and it's one of the easier/fastest bosses for farming, plus the crestfallen merchant is right there in Sen's and he sells them.

I would agree, however if no summon shows up he can take his covetous gold serpent ring down to the BLightown swamp and farm the slugs....the green shards arent useless either and can be downgraded to regular titanite as well...saves on souls if the co-op isnt working for whatever reason.

So my thing about trying to have an invader in my world when Sif dies, I did the same thing but with Capra. I got invaded and about 5-10 seconds after the invader entered, Capra died from toxin. There was no notification that the invader left it was just like a normal boss death. Kind of disappointing but it's what I expected. (Secretly hoping to break the game and have an invader still in my world after the area boss died!)

I would agree, however if no summon shows up he can take his covetous gold serpent ring down to the BLightown swamp and farm the slugs....the green shards arent useless either and can be downgraded to regular titanite as well...saves on souls if the co-op isnt working for whatever reason.

TBH, the co-op hasn't worked for me once.

I put down a summon sign for multiple areas, often near a fog door, and I get no responses.

I guess the game is too old on 360?

Top Bottom