• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I know about the parry, but I swear this guy was teleporting. He'd just suddenly appear behind my character, then backstab. I don't mind being beaten in a fair fight, but this was infuriating.
0IgCrbV.gif

I'm using a 360 controller, btw.

That's just unfortunate latency that makes backstabs look like that on your end. From your opponent's perspective it probably looked totally normal, which is definitely frustrating but that's the nature of peer-to-peer online interactions.

Booshka

Are there cheaters/hackers in this game?

I was invaded twice in the Depths. The first guy took 98% of my life in one strike, but he did hit me cleanly; don't think he was cheating. The second guy, however, was pulling off the backstab move with ease, even when he was in front of me. If he got within 3 feet, it was an automatic backstab. So annoying.
PvP Watchdog has been updated for Steam edition. Use it, to easily identify and either remove cheaters, or remove yourself from their world if you invade them.
Yeah, forgot about that. I'm on PC.

So it's possible to pull off a backstab while being in front of your opponent? I've just started playing and I love the game. Just a little salty about being invaded, lol.

I know about the parry, but I swear this guy was teleporting. He'd just suddenly appear behind my character, then backstab. I don't mind being beaten in a fair fight, but this was infuriating.
0IgCrbV.gif

I'm using a 360 controller, btw.
Just good ol fashioned lagstabs, you'll get used to the latency and can see how your positioning, as well as there's can eventually lead into a wonky lagstab. There are ways to counter it, pivoting, strafing, spacing and unlocked play are crucial to managing the backstab meta that PvP is currently revolved around. Even at the highest dueling levels of play, a lot of the fights are decided by who punishes with backstabs, and positions themselves better, to get backstabs. For random invasions, most invaders will abuse backstabs against new players because of all the tech and how much lag can influence it.

Made some huge leaps in progress yesterday by handling Sif, O&S, and The Trio.

Finally got to see lady Gwyn and the "nice chest" signs.

But where do I go next?

Also, how recommended is upping the Uchi past +10 and into the Lightning Uchi?

Tarkus

But where do I go next?

How important are invading and PvP to you?

Elemental weapons are not as good as standard in this game. Highly recommend finding the Very Large Ember and going +15. Slabs are hard to come by though. Choose wisely. Tbh, +14 is fine for most things because the difference between it and max isn't much.

Mistel

Banned

But where do I go next?

You will need to place the lordvessel that will then show you the way to go. Elemental weapons aren't really worth your investment as they do not scale with your stats, they're alright for pvp but not really pve.

As for infusing lightning the giant blacksmith does it.

How important are invading and PvP to you?

Elemental weapons are not as good as standard in this game. Highly recommend finding the Very Large Ember and going +15. Slabs are hard to come by though. Choose wisely. Tbh, +14 is fine for most things because the difference between it and max isn't much.

You will need to place the lordvessel that will then show you the way to go. Elemental weapons aren't really worth your investment as they do not scale with your stats, they're alright for pvp but not really pve.

As for infusing lightning the giant blacksmith does it.

PvP was never my thing. I can't get into it.

The only reason I wanted to infuse Uchi w/lightning was the lightning achievement and the supposed DMG increase,but since there's no DMG increase, I'll simply do it for another weapon.

Tarkus

PvP was never my thing. I can't get into it.

The only reason I wanted to infuse Uchi w/lightning was the lightning achievement and the supposed DMG increase,but since there's no DMG increase, I'll simply do it for another weapon.
Speak with Kingseeker Frampt at Firelink Shrine. If you do not want infinite Red Eye Orbs, then place the Lordvessel with him.

You probably picked up the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress you could upgrade that for the achievement, but it would be a waste of a precious titanite slab right now if you weren't going to use the weapon. Better to go for specific weapon-related achievements later on, since if you wanted all achievements it requires 3 playthroughs on the same character (well 2 full and a half say) because of the boss weapons achievement - one boss soul has 3 items you can craft from it = 3 kills of the boss.

Unless you are staying at low level elemental weapons get outclassed by pure physical weapons because of split damage (your weapon does two attack types - physical and elemental, thus it has to go through 2 defense stats of an enemy) and stat scaling (weapon-specific damage bonus gained from your DEX/STR etc stats). Better to stay with physical upgrade and use a resin or spell to buff the weapon (elemental weapons cannot be buffed also).

But where do I go next?

Talk to her she will tell you you need to talk to kingseeker frampt or
you can go to the abyss and talk to the other serpent guy

This is the part where you have to collect for more souls to reach the end, if you have the DLC you can access a extra area right now.

teiresias

Been enjoying this game alot up until this stupid section with the Archers in Londo. I've tried the "cheap" way of lobbing poison arrows at them, but they never get poisoned (and I'm doing like 6hp damage with them individually). I've gotten tired of running back to this same spot over and over from the bonfire . . . starting to look like an uninstall to me.

Mistel

Banned
Been enjoying this game alot up until this stupid section with the Archers in Londo. I've tried the "cheap" way of lobbing poison arrows at them, but they never get poisoned (and I'm doing like 6hp damage with them individually). I've gotten tired of running back to this same spot over and over from the bonfire . . . starting to look like an uninstall to me.
Tried just bashing them with a heavy shield off the side? You just need to smack the right one off the left one can't get you once you get up there.

What's your equip load at? At below 25% (fastest running/rolling speed) you should be able to bolt it up the buttress without worry of getting hit.

Ignore the archer to the left and get in the face of the one on the right. Then either block untill he falls off (drop shield in between strikes to regain stamina), parry and riposte, or if you have a large shield you can at least 2-hand you can shield bash him off. Eagle Shield was a treasure in Blighttown that's only 16 STR to 1 hand iirc.

The ring of fog comes in handy for poisoning them if you have it, can give you just that little more time to fire off one more arrow to get the poison to stick (I think it takes 3 arrows, but they have a poison bar just like the player, so it goes down if you don't fire more arrows in quick succession). Don't give up! The archers are one of a small number of big barriers in the game everyone has to overcome, when you do it feels fucking fantastic! :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Been enjoying this game alot up until this stupid section with the Archers in Londo. I've tried the "cheap" way of lobbing poison arrows at them, but they never get poisoned (and I'm doing like 6hp damage with them individually). I've gotten tired of running back to this same spot over and over from the bonfire . . .
Just run up to the one on the right, roll forward through his arrow, then kill him. Done.

starting to look like an uninstall to me.
lol k

The trick is to dont battle them and one serves as a decoy while the other one leads to the bonfire. pretty tricky part.

Here's the simplest way to deal with those pesky archers:

Run up to them naked with only a Buckler and parry each arrow as they are fired at you. Get close to the Knight on the right and bait him into an utterly filthy parry, finishing him off with a riposte from your Darkmoon buffed Crystal Demon's Greataxe.

But for real, a high stability shield and a spear or rapier can work wonders there. Block all the arrows and run right up to the guy on the right side of the ledge and he'll stop shooting at you in favour of his sword. If you can land a parry right there it's a super easy fight, but you can also poke at him from behind your shield while watching your stamina for an easy victory. Good luck!

teiresias

I just shot the one on the right more quickly and finally got him poisoned, so I finally made it all the way through and now am stuck at Smough and Oscarmeyer. I swear, this is such a boring environment and the enemies are annoying and not fun to fight aside from the knights in the actual palace.

Anyway, I need a break from Londo so I remember I'd never gone to the Catacombs so I'm doing that tomorrow.

I just shot the one on the right more quickly and finally got him poisoned, so I finally made it all the way through and now am stuck at Smough and Oscarmeyer. I swear, this is such a boring environment and the enemies are annoying and not fun to fight aside from the knights in the actual palace.

Anyway, I need a break from Londo so I remember I'd never gone to the Catacombs so I'm doing that tomorrow.

O&S you should reconsider fighting. Afterwards you get a really nifty item that opens the game up.

Its not supossed to be fun but challenging and yeah like doktor said you need to re valuate your fighting style.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this is obvious, but would anyone be able to point me to the latest Durante Edition files? Just re-installed this on PC.

teiresias

Its not supossed to be fun but challenging and yeah like doktor said you need to re valuate your fighting style.

Where did he tell me to re-evaluate my fighting style? He told me to re-evaluate fighting O&S now. I simply wanted a break for boring old Andor, so I went and did The Catacombs.

Oh, and challenging can be fun, there's nothing that makes them mutually exclusive. For the most part DS succeeds in doing both. There have been a few times, however, where it fails at that mission. Nothing wrong with admitting it.

Mikey Jr.

God damn it. I'm in those sewers and I have just been cursed.

The fuck do I do now? Don't tell me I have to run all the way out of them to get some sort of shit from someone. Because that might make me quit.

Any sort of cheat commands or something I can put in to allow me to get rid of it?

Sullichin

The fuck do I do now? Don't tell me I have to run all the way out of them to get some sort of shit from someone. Because that might make me quit.

Any sort of cheat commands or something I can put in to allow me to get rid of it?

Yes, you need a purging stone. You can get one from Oswald in Undead Parish, or the undead merchant in the aqueduct on the way to lower undead burg (her stones are more expensive). The game tells you to seek the healer in New Londo but that's far away from where you are.

If you wanted to cheat you'd have to look up how to use Cheat Engine and use the item replacement to turn any other item into a Purging Stone.

One of the most memorable things about a first playthrough though!

Mistel

Banned

You do have to go back to at least the undead female merchant to cure the curse via the purging stone she sells. Unless you can live with half HP and no ability to consume humanity.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, you need a purging stone. You can get one from Oswald in Undead Parish, or the undead merchant in the aqueduct on the way to lower undead burg (her stones are more expensive). The game tells you to seek the healer in New Londo but that's far away from where you are.

If you wanted to cheat you'd have to look up how to use Cheat Engine and use the item replacement to turn any other item into a Purging Stone.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, gave this game a real good shot, but not for me. No way in hell I'm running all the way back to that gargoyle place.

At least I can say I played Dark Souls so I know what the hype is about.

Woot? there is a merchant in the sewers who sell purging stones. You can also see some statues in your travels in that area, those are players who got cursed too.

Mikey Jr.

Woot? there is a merchant in the sewers who sell purging stones. You can also see some statues in your travels in that area, those are players who got cursed too.

Yeah, I think I checked that merchant. I don't think he has anything.

I mean, I like challenge. But making me backtrack all the way with half health just to get an item is not for me.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, gave this game a real good shot, but not for me. No way in hell I'm running all the way back to that gargoyle place.

At least I can say I played Dark Souls so I know what the hype is about.

Heh.

It gets rougher than the gargoyles.

Try DS2. It's a little easier.

Tarkus

Yeah, I think I checked that merchant. I don't think he has anything.

I mean, I like challenge. But making me backtrack all the way with half health just to get an item is not for me.
It's literally a 3 minute trip from the Depths bonfire. I think they're expensive though :-/

Tarkus

6000 souls for one stone.
Oy vey. I hope mikey jr has some souls from corpses that can be used. Oswald's are good bit cheaper I believe. The elevator to Undead Parish is only a couple of minutes from the female undead merchant. Go for it mikey. If you do, remember to rest at Firelink when you go by.

teiresias

When I got cursed for the first time I took the opportunity to use it as a form of emergent gameplay and motivation. I figured, alright, I have no idea how to fix this, so maybe someone back at the shrine knows. I think the guy near the bonfire has a whole speech he goes through when you come to him for the first time cursed in which he references New Londo.

So I decided to take his advice and took a day to do the trek through New Londo (at least what's available of it so far) and make it to the guy that can cure curse. It's really a decent opportunity to do it since you're already cursed and don't have to worry about using transient curses to be able to actually do harm to the enemies there.

It was a nice detour and a way for circumstances in the game to dictate action that makes the game feel alive.

Having said that, I've glanced at some of the Wikis for Dark Souls and I have no idea where all the backstory on these NPCs comes from that you find on there. Is that information all in the game somehow?

Mikey Jr.

Oy vey. I hope mikey jr has some souls from corpses that can be used. Oswald's are good bit cheaper I believe. The elevator to Undead Parish is only a couple of minutes from the female undead merchant. Go for it mikey. If you do, remember to rest at Firelink when you go by.

Guess I'll go all the way back to the gargoyles since its cheaper....

But fucking 3k. God damn.

And I'll probably have to buy 2 just in case?

Mistel

Banned
Is that information all in the game somehow?
It's all within the game barring a few select items from other sources.

You will reach the point where that is a rather trivial value to be concerned about very quickly. 2 is an acceptable amount.

Having said that, I've glanced at some of the Wikis for Dark Souls and I have no idea where all the backstory on these NPCs comes from that you find on there. Is that information all in the game somehow?

Every time you clear a boss or enter a new area the NPC have new dialogues about the world or notices your progress (some even move to another location) so you can return to talk to them, especially the crestfallen warrior and the blacksmith.

Sullichin

The curse frogs are by far the biggest threat in the depths to a new player. You usually find your way in their path if you fall down a hole - it's possible to completely avoid them. If you see one kill it immediately and don't stay in the gas. If you have armor with any curse resistance, use that. If you can afford to use a humanity or two- each humanity in your ticker up top will raise curse resistance. The spider shield which you can find early in the depths (roll through the boxes behind the butcher in the big room in the beginning) has good poison resistance against the rats.

Just tried to transfer my save off the GFWL version to Steamworks but apparently GFWL is down, or it won't let me sign in for whatever reason. Guess I just try again later. :/

Don't know if I'd want to start fresh for the 3rd or 4th time, still not having beaten the game.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Just started this game and holy hell do I suck but it is fun.

I just rang that gargoyle tower bell, and that is about the only worthwhile thing I have done.

Most of the areas seem pointless so I am missing something for sure.

I also wish I could find better gear. :)

I am getting really good at melee combat though.

Its the best katana in the game even without 10 humanities to boost its damage.

Really?? I found the large ember and upped the Uchi to +14 and still I find the stats the Chaos Blade gives aren't that special. It looks like the blade loses DEX scaling.

In unrelated frustration, losing a ring slot for the FAP Ring is now coming back to bite me now that I need to fight Four Kings.

Mistel

Banned
Really?? I found the large ember and upped the Uchi to +14 and still I find the stats the Chaos Blade gives aren't that special. It looks like the blade loses DEX scaling.
They're incorrect at max with no humanity a chaos blade is 216 with B DEX scaling weaker than the uchigatana is 225 with A DEX scaling. It's really the chaos style scaling humanity scaling that will give it the edge with max humanity. A +15 uchi with 40 DEX is 420 damage stronger than the chaos blade which is 372 without the +10 humanity. It is 452 with the +10 humanity.

Technically if you want to get really really picky a +5 chaos uchi with 10 humanity and 40 DEX is the strongest katana with 467 damage outperforming the chaos blade. It's also dealing split damage though as it's chaos.

Top Bottom