• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Booshka

Those are my current stats though. :p

The 16 str was because I was using the Gravelord Sword 2handed almost all game. I already got attunement to 16. So I'm gonna focus on upping that INT to something like 38 to use the soul spears at least.

Don't use Oolacile Catalyst after like 28 INT, it doesn't scale so your Magic Adjust with it won't benefit from leveling Int, just use regular Sorcerer's if you don't want halved spells from Tin Crystal.

Don't tell me this guys is important please lol
Not really important no, I was just quoting what he says himself when you kill the Firekeeper. :)

He sells a couple of pyromancies
poison and toxic
and gives you another pyro flame (useful for trading with the crow for a red titanite slab)

Finalow

I'm very close to the platinum, I only need the "get all the miracles" trophy. now I'm assuming there is pretty much no one online on ps3, so farming all the medals and the items necessary to get rank 1 in various covenants seems like an extreme annoying process. :(
also gotta grind that 25 points in faith for a covenant, I'm 125 and I need 16 more levels for that, ugh. any chance that some gaffers here have those items and are willing/able to trade them?

in addition fucking Rhea now is hostile and I can't change that, reading from the wiki. so yeah, gotta do that in ng+ and I really hope that I won't screw up there.

I probably have a pretty awful build (50 vit, 40 end, 50 int - I'm using an old character, didn't make a new one) but I'm doing decent damage with enchanted falchion +5. however it doesn't seem too good for ng+, what's the best weapon for a build like that?

I'm very close to the platinum, I only need the "get all the miracles" trophy. now I'm assuming there is pretty much no one online on ps3, so farming all the medals and the items necessary to get rank 1 in various covenants seems like an extreme annoying process. :(
also gotta grind that 25 points in faith for a covenant, I'm 125 and I need 16 more levels for that, ugh. any chance that some gaffers here have those items and are willing/able to trade them?

Have you done no boss co-op? Each boss you help defeat in another world lowers the Faith requirement by 5.

If you can get in the covenant, I have a huge stock pile of Sunlight Medals on my SL 130 character I may be able to give you.

Mistel

Banned
I probably have a pretty awful build (50 vit, 40 end, 50 int - I'm using an old character, didn't make a new one) but I'm doing decent damage with enchanted falchion +5. however it doesn't seem too good for ng+, what's the best weapon for a build like that?
Depending on your STR/DEX you could two hand something like a flamberge or a plain old bastard sword and upgrade those to enchanted path, the flamberge is good for it because it keeps the bleed affect. You could even just use the morning star or the reinforced club is pretty lethal too with similar low requirments.

When I played just before Xmas PS3 online was still very active, I had no problem being summoned, seeing signs etc. The game is still loved! <3

Finalow

When I played just before Xmas PS3 online was still very active, I had no problem being summoned, seeing signs etc. The game is still loved! <3
I just finished playing and I found 2 people to summon in the Duke's Archives. it failed 5-6 times but I was legit surprised.

Depending on your STR/DEX you could two hand something like a flamberge or a plain old bastard sword and upgrade those to enchanted path, the flamberge is good for it because it keeps the bleed affect. You could even just use the morning star or the reinforced club is pretty lethal too with similar low requirments.
I have to check for STR/DEX but I think I'm lacking all the materials for another enchanted weapon. isn't there a unique one, like the ones that you can upgrade with Twinkling Titanite? I got the Moonlight Greatsword, and I remember using it with a character but I honestly don't remember how good it was.

Have you done no boss co-op? Each boss you help defeat in another world lowers the Faith requirement by 5.

If you can get in the covenant, I have a huge stock pile of Sunlight Medals on my SL 130 character I may be able to give you.
mh, I don't think I was ever summoned in this run. so if I get summoned as WP and kill 4 times Gywn, the requirement becomes 5? Or it has be a different boss every time.
thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when I join. I want to leave that covenant for last since you need Gywn's soul for a specific miracle, and rank 1 is also needed, iirc.

Mistel

Banned
I have to check for STR/DEX but I think I'm lacking all the materials for another enchanted weapon. isn't there a unique one, like the ones that you can upgrade with Twinkling Titanite? I got the Moonlight Greatsword, and I remember using it with a character but I honestly don't remember how good it was.
There's the titantie catch pole from the titanite demons that deals magic magic and has pretty low requirements. But if you've got a moonlight greatsword that works just as well and is much better choice.

in addition fucking Rhea now is hostile and I can't change that, reading from the wiki. so yeah, gotta do that in ng+ and I really hope that I won't screw up there.

How could miracles be the only achievement you need to get if you're only on ng+?

Also PS3 should be hella populated. I mostly play on Xbox and there's a pretty hefty population. I gave up on pc until they patch it again though bc of the region locking crap.

Also don't use enchanted falchion, use +15 with crystal magic weapon. If you're on ng + you can have 6 casts of it I think and it will own face. Mlgs is better though, just max out your repair powders from the one vendor who sells them (I think it's the burg vendor)

mh, I don't think I was ever summoned in this run. so if I get summoned as WP and kill 4 times Gywn, the requirement becomes 5? Or it has be a different boss every time.
thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when I join. I want to leave that covenant for last since you need Gywn's soul for a specific miracle, and rank 1 is also needed, iirc.
It counts for any boss you help any host kill. When I start a new character, I hang out in the Undead Parish helping hosts kill the Gargoyles to get the requirement out of the way early.

Unless you have someone dropping boss souls or weapons, you'll need to go into at least NG++ to get the platinum trophy.

Finalow

I got most of the trophies when the game came out, I didn't bother to get the platinum but I want to do it now. for all the rare weapons a friend dropped me what I was missing. besides I have another character around level 200 in ng++ but he has even less miracles. :v

I guess I'll go for Moonlight Greatsword and dragon scales farming.

Finalow

I knew that Blighttown had problems with fps dropping but I didn't remember it to be this awful, jesus christ.

also, Channelers' melee attack damage is brutal. only reason why I died in the Duke's Archives.

Tarkus

I knew that Blighttown had problems with fps dropping but I didn't remember it to be this awful, jesus christ.

also, Channelers' melee attack damage is brutal. only reason why I died in the Duke's Archives.
They had to be able to quickly destroy potential subjects that were hostile to the notion of Seath's experiments. Seath is watching through a pair of their six eyes.

Think I'm gonna try for all acheives after I'm done with 2. Playing through no bonfire/no deaths at the moment.
Good luck. I'm just finishing prepping for a no death/no bonfire run myself farming consumables etc before hand. Not sure on how you're going about it, but I'll be heading straight to Shrine of Winter after grabbing the branch of yore from the Gutter since I ascetic'ed the Old Iron King 30 times (on NG+2) so I can pop the souls and head straight to Drangleic Castle. The quicker your run is, the less chance there is of dying!

DS2 talk interlude, sorry - normal service resumed.

Finalow

I tried to get summoned at Gywn or O&S but didn't get summoned a single time in 30-40 minutes. :|
maybe my level is too high for this run, I don't know. If I go into ng+ I doubt that I'll find someone to summon me for the first bosses though.

do I keep the covenant and the rank if I go into ng+? Also if for example I kill 3 bosses as a WP and the requirement becomes 10 faith instead of 25, will that requirement be the same if I jump into ng+ and try to join the covenant?

They had to be able to quickly destroy potential subjects that were hostile to the notion of Seath's experiments. Seath is watching through a pair of their six eyes.
nice, I didn't know about that.

I tried to get summoned at Gywn or O&S but didn't get summoned a single time in 30-40 minutes. :|
maybe my level is too high for this run, I don't know. If I go into ng+ I doubt that I'll find someone to summon me for the first bosses though.
You're probably too high for most players, at that level they don't usually summon unless they themselves are doing something like the Oro and Peeve "Pure Black" playthrough.

Maybe I could summon you, I'm at O&S at SL 130.

do I keep the covenant and the rank if I go into ng+? Also if for example I kill 3 bosses as a WP and the requirement becomes 10 faith instead of 25, will that requirement be the same if I jump into ng+ and try to join the covenant?
You keep your covenant and rank when crossing into subsequent NG+, I don't know if your boss kills carry over though.

Anustart

Good luck. I'm just finishing prepping for a no death/no bonfire run myself farming consumables etc before hand. Not sure on how you're going about it, but I'll be heading straight to Shrine of Winter after grabbing the branch of yore from the Gutter since I ascetic'ed the Old Iron King 30 times (on NG+2) so I can pop the souls and head straight to Drangleic Castle. The quicker your run is, the less chance there is of dying!

DS2 talk interlude, sorry - normal service resumed.

Just a no bonfire run now. Girlfriend wouldn't answer the door, got killed when I got up. Should have quit out.

Not really important no, I was just quoting what he says himself when you kill the Firekeeper. :)

He sells a couple of pyromancies
poison and toxic
and gives you another pyro flame (useful for trading with the crow for a red titanite slab)

No worries as i am purely strength atm...lucky as when i played demons souls i hit a vendor that i wanted to use =p

Donos

If i remember correctly, there aren't many trophies tied to high covenant ranks. I remeber Chaos Covenant (to get Pyromancy stuff and item from the eggcarrier servent) where you need 30 humanities and the entry barrier to the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant where you need high faith to enter but you can reduce this by helping people beat bosses online. Easiest way is to lay down the stone right at the start of the Kiln. People often summon 2 phantoms to beat Gwyn as 3 man group. Made this 4 month ago and i got summoned a lot (PS3). Sunlight medals are easy to farm (shortcut Lost Izalit).

Just a no bonfire run now. Girlfriend wouldn't answer the door, got killed when I got up. Should have quit out.
lol, that's heartbreaking! I did a no bonfire/death run last year and died to Dragon Rider(!) so had to do them on split runs too, but I did it eventually.

The no bonfire part was the most fun to me actually since it takes a bit of forethought and strategy about which bonfires you want to light and warp back to. It felt a bit like playing DS1 where I'd run down to loot the Tomb of Giants first thing for example where not resting at bonfires means you can warp back to Firelink Shrine. I like that risk/reward factor.

Finalow

You're probably too high for most players, at that level they don't usually summon unless they themselves are doing something like the Oro and Peeve "Pure Black" playthrough.

Maybe I could summon you, I'm at O&S at SL 130.

You keep your covenant and rank when crossing into subsequent NG+, I don't know if your boss kills carry over though.
mh, I should join the covenant before going into ng+ then.

sure, as soon as I'm done with farming souvenirs of reprisal we can set that up, if you want.

How did you manage that then? Did you walk of the edge or did the halberd do you in?
I tried doing the cheese kill as I always do, he didn't fall off - but I did. Should've feathered when he didn't fall off out but I probably panicked and tried it again on the otherside.

I just continued with the no bonfire run and did no death on the next cycle.

Mistel

Banned
I tried doing the cheese kill as I always do, he didn't fall off - but I did. Should've feathered when he didn't fall off out but I probably panicked and tried it again on the otherside.
Ah I see that's rather unfortunate I usually just bait the thrust attack and off it goes. Or just parry/stun lock it to death.

Haunted

Just wanted to download the 2.3 version of Durante's DSFix, but the link from his blog isn't working.

Anyone have a download mirror handy?

So with the upgrade to Steamworks, is DCSFix totally busted? Convinced a couple of friends to pick this up during the last steam sale, hoping we'd be able to play some co-op.

Finalow

lol Gywn.

I didn't remember 2 things about him: first how hard he can be if you fight him "normally" and have a not so good or in my case shitty int build (he's very fast, dodges spells - doesn't let you heal most of the times and has high damage), second how fucking easy he can be if you just parry him. I didn't even need to learn or practice the timing, and if you need to you also have the time to heal after each attack. it's a very interesting fight if you consider this.

oh, I decided to try another weapon since dragon scales seem to have 1% drop rate even with max discovery and I went Velka's Rapier. seems decent enough, I upgraded it to +5 and just then realized that I needed 16 dex to use it. I thought that 2-handed required half of it (8) but apparently it doesn't.
GG

Booshka

So with the upgrade to Steamworks, is DCSFix totally busted? Convinced a couple of friends to pick this up during the last steam sale, hoping we'd be able to play some co-op.

DSC works with GFWL infrastructure and Gamertags, so yes, it doesn't work. However, if all of your friends choose the same download region, and spend about 15-20 mins playing, you should all see each other and connect flawlessly, especially after your first connection. Just try not to exit the game, otherwise you have to wait again to connect.

lol Gywn.

I didn't remember 2 things about him: first how hard he can be if you fight him "normally" and have a not so good or in my case shitty int build (he's very fast, dodges spells - doesn't let you heal most of the times and has high damage), second how fucking easy he can be if you just parry him. I didn't even need to learn or practice the timing, and if you need to you also have the time to heal after each attack. it's a very interesting fight if you consider this.

oh, I decided to try another weapon since dragon scales seem to have 1% drop rate even with max discovery and I went Velka's Rapier. seems decent enough, I upgraded it to +5 and just then realized that I needed 16 dex to use it. I thought that 2-handed required half of it (8) but apparently it doesn't.
GG
2handed stats are for STR only. :(

Caja 117

So, Im still on my first playtrough just entering Crystal Cave, and after I finish the game, Im planing on changing my Xbox 360 for a PS3 because I want to play Demon Souls, my question is Any Difference between Dark Souls Xbox 360 version and the PS3 version, in terms of Framerates and Image, and also amount of people playing it online?

Also what is the difference between the regular version and the prepare to Die Version.

Thank you.

Booshka

So, Im still on my first playtrough just entering Crystal Cave, and after I finish the game, Im planing on changing my Xbox 360 for a PS3 because I want to play Demon Souls, my question is Any Difference between Dark Souls Xbox 360 version and the PS3 version, in terms of Framerates and Image, and also amount of people playing it online?

Also what is the difference between the regular version and the prepare to Die Version.

Thank you.

PS3 by far has the most activity, the lack if online multiplayer subscription requirements for PS3 means the game will have more players online. But, Xbox is still fairly active, especially at the higher soul levels for dedicated PvP. The game looks the same on both platforms, but the performance is noticeably worse on PS3, especially when there are more players in a session. With 3-4 players, the framerate can be unbearable. For solo play, the framerate issues are mostly the same across both platforms.

Lag is its own different animal in the PS3 version as well, connections can be laggy on all 3 platforms, but PS3 is especially laggy and inconsistent, and takes some getting used to.

The framerate problems with multiple players, and the lag of the PS3 version really put me off from playing it over the Xbox or PC versions. The player activity is great, and it runs well enough in solo/2 player sessions, but I prefer the other two platforms.

You guys got any recommendations for interesting, off beat, though not entirely 'un-viable' build to play the with for a second run?

Finished my first run last spring with a dex focused character using an uchigitana.

After that I finished Dark Souls 2 and (for the first time) Demon's Souls.

So I feel that my return to DkS is much deserved :p.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You guys got any recommendations for interesting, off beat, though not entirely unviable builds to play the with for a second run?

Finished my first run last spring with a dex focused character using an uchigitana.

Shieldless runs are fun if you enjoy dodging, especially with the Dark Grain ring or whatever it is called.

You guys got any recommendations for interesting, off beat, though not entirely 'un-viable' build to play the with for a second run?

SL1 is always good.

No-melee - miracles and magic only. an interesting way to play for the early game especially - with no spell-restoring herbs like in the other two games you have to play smart, parrying enemies to get off critical hits with spells to conserve them etc.

SL1 is always good.

No-melee - miracles and magic only. an interesting way to play for the early game especially - with no spell-restoring herbs like in the other two games you have to play smart, parrying enemies to get off critical hits with spells to conserve them etc.

Shieldless runs are fun if you enjoy dodging, especially with the Dark Grain ring or whatever it is called.

Thanks guys! Looking into these.

Dresden

Double cestus is still my favorite run. Do it with no shirt or chest armor for extra GUTS.

You're going to wear out that L1, though.

Top Bottom