• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I just connected the path from New Londo to Valley of the Drakes yesterday.

How much more of the game is left after I traverse the Abyss?

I just connected the path from New Londo to Valley of the Drakes yesterday.

How much more of the game is left after I traverse the Abyss?
There are 4 lord souls needed after getting the Lord Vessel (including the 4 Kings boss in New Londo) so it depends on what areas you've already been to. Plus the DLC area.

*sigh*

Still can't get it to connect to Windows LIVE to retrieve my save data. Guess I'll be starting over again at some point. Controller is currently unavailable, so it wasn't going to be soon anyway.

What is the current PVP download region people are using?

I see messages all the time in Brazil, but no luck for PVP.

I've had a lot of luck using USA - Dallas when the US is awake, and some luck using Finland when the US is asleep. You still have to wait 15-20 minutes for the 'IP pool' to fill up before you can reliably invade or be invaded.

Giever

Anyone know where I can get the most recent dsfix? The links on Durante's site don't seem to work.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I appear to have completely forgotten how to execute the strategy to defeat firekite drake using melee - tried for 2 hours, kept getting killed. Decided to just run for the gate level and bonfire.

Mistel

Banned
I appear to have completely forgotten how to execute the strategy to defeat firekite drake using melee - tried for 2 hours, kept getting killed. Decided to just run for the gate level and bonfire.
Get under its feet and just avoid its claw attack pretty much all there is too it sans the obvious fire stuff that you need to avoid. You can even do it from the stairs if you really want to.

2 hours?! It would be quicker to start a new character with the masterkey and open the gate from the back way. The dragon won't appear on the bridge ever until you spawn it in Undead Burg. :p

Mikey Jr.

The curse frogs are by far the biggest threat in the depths to a new player. You usually find your way in their path if you fall down a hole - it's possible to completely avoid them. If you see one kill it immediately and don't stay in the gas. If you have armor with any curse resistance, use that. If you can afford to use a humanity or two- each humanity in your ticker up top will raise curse resistance. The spider shield which you can find early in the depths (roll through the boxes behind the butcher in the big room in the beginning) has good poison resistance against the rats.

It's all within the game barring a few select items from other sources.

You will reach the point where that is a rather trivial value to be concerned about very quickly. 2 is an acceptable amount.

It's literally a 3 minute trip from the Depths bonfire. I think they're expensive though :-/

LTTP:

Well guys, I went back to this game for some fucking reason. And you know what?

I'm glad I did. I have no idea why. I have rage quitted this game probably about a dozen times so far. But there is something about it that keeps you going back for more. And I actually kinda love the game.

About the curse. I went all the way back, all the while thinking "why the fuck am I still playing this game?" and got the purging stone. Decided to only get one and try to be more careful.
Got cursed again....I got so pissed off and alt+f4'd like usual. Except when I got back, it showed the text about purging, but I wasn't cursed. I must have quit too fast for the game to save my state. So I guess I cheated a little. Whoops.

But anyways, I am at the boss gate at anor londo. So I'm pretty proud I made it that far with no cheating and barely any internet help.

But my proudest moment was tackling sen's fortress on my first try and beating it. I got to the top where the boss is. I literally had zero potions, and like 3 quarters health. I couldn't find the piece of shit bonfire (fuck you hidden bonfire) and I didn't know where the shortcut was. Luckily, I was human (I never go human), and there was a summon next door. Fucking guy tanked the shit out of that boss, and he fell off the stage. No idea if that was supposed to happen or what.
Anyways, so I am completely fucked at this point, health wise and of course I cant find the bonfire or shortcut. So I backtrack, trying to find anything. Then I see part of this bridge missing. I was so scared at this point. I didn't know what to do. I had no checkpoint, no health, no shortcut. So I jumped the broken bridge and fell to my death.
I then proceeded to fucking do Sen's fortress 3 more times.

I gotta say, that hidden bonfire and that jump to get the shortcut are kinda horseshit to be honest. Thats kinda not fair from the developers.

Anyways, I am excited to play NG+.

Glad I stuck with it. I can now be hyped with everyone else for bloodborne.

I gotta say, that hidden bonfire and that jump to get the shortcut are kinda horseshit to be honest. Thats kinda not fair from the developers.

Welcome to Dark Souls.

The jump to where the merchant and cage key are? Even if you fall it isn't fatal, it's not really a difficult jump and once you've made it if you look around you can see the bonfire.

btw, do you have any curse-resistant armour at all? Even wearing one piece of it will usually mean you are free to face the basillisks without fear of being cursed.

teiresias

LTTP:

The bonfire I can sort of agree with, particularly if you don't take the time to (poison?) arrow the crap out of the giant and can just explore the roof unaccosted, or don't do the jump to the merchant first and look around.

The jump though completely broadcasts itself as "hey you might want to look here!!". As for the jump itself, it's cake, and the only issue I have is when I have frame unlock and 60fps enabled in DSfix, I have to hit "delete" and disable it to make the jump (same with the roll to get to the nest to go back to the asylum actually), otherwise the physics changes to rolling and stuff haven't really affected me while using DSfix. I usually give myself two chances to try a jump, just in case I'm doing it wrong, and then I disable the fps unlock to check and make sure it's not just that . . . it usually is.

In other news, I finally beat O&S last night . . . they're pretty much a cake walk if you summon Soltaire . . . imagine that in a two-mob boss fight. I also used the black eye and can finally use the Firelink bonfire again. I'm pretty lost on what's the best thing to do next though - I went and tried Ceaseless Discharge and died about five times all from his first attack . . . yeah, not sure about that one yet.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Uhhhhhhhh so apparently there is some way to save both Siegmeyer and Sieglende.

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/2rmk4h/somehow_i_saved_the_onion_knight_no_i_dont_know/

k9nHVmV.jpg

eN1ELMQ.jpg

Mistel

Banned
That's probably a bug considering the fact that she only spawns in the golem after he buggers off to blighttown. Wonder what happened to cause that?

As far as I remember she have a dialogue in the firelink shrine and you can lie to her to save siegmer and a extra dialogue (that can save him) if he survives with more than half of his health in the boss battle and go talk to her again in the firelink shrine and says she talked to him and leave so you can see siegmeyer alive in the ash lake.

Siegmeyer sidequests is the most complex sidequest in Dark Souls

just loaded up an old save that and am back into the souls series

lvl 46 blightown with knight armour (normal armour i think) and a black knight sword

Booshka

They're incorrect at max with no humanity a chaos blade is 216 with B DEX scaling weaker than the uchigatana is 225 with A DEX scaling. It's really the chaos style scaling humanity scaling that will give it the edge with max humanity. A +15 uchi with 40 DEX is 420 damage stronger than the chaos blade which is 372 without the +10 humanity. It is 452 with the +10 humanity.

Technically if you want to get really really picky a +5 chaos uchi with 10 humanity and 40 DEX is the strongest katana with 467 damage outperforming the chaos blade. It's also dealing split damage though as it's chaos.

Fire, Chaos and Lightning Elemental upgrade paths remove all stat scaling, so if you have a Chaos Uchi with 40 DEX then I don't even know what to say. AR means nothing too when it's split damage.

Mistel

Banned
Fire, Chaos and Lightning Elemental upgrade paths remove all stat scaling, so if you have a Chaos Uchi with 40 DEX then I don't even know what to say. AR means nothing too when it's split damage.
That's just the numbers I left it whilst I was doing it you can get that same value with the minimum requirements chaos uchi +5 at 14/14 with ten humanity.

Was thinking about best designed areas (including enemies) of the game..

1) undead burg/parish
2) painted world
3) dark root
4) catacombs
5) sens
6) anor londo

Something like that. Last is definitely Demon Ruins

I have an ascended +5 glove and the other spells, so I don't know why I only bought Great Fireball once in 3 playthroughs.

She is easily missable because no ones wanders so much in blightwon swamp after killing Queelag also she appears after you have enough int or progressed to anor londo and also she is kinda invisible.

EDIT: If you are in the forest covenant Shiva of the east acts as a Vendor in that area too

Booshka

This is my first Steamworks run, and I haven't gotten invaded, can't invade and all summonings fail.

What gives?

What is your Download server? game is region locked for Steam version, so if you are on a less populated server than you aren't going to get much activity.

Try Luxembourg or US Dallas Download Region for decent activity.

wolfhowwl

Banned
I've been working my through the DLC content.

The fight with Artorias was excellent. I felt like there was a little camera wonkiness with the Dragon Kalameet but it was still very satisfying.

She is easily missable because no ones wanders so much in blightwon swamp after killing Queelag also she appears after you have enough int or progressed to anor londo and also she is kinda invisible.

EDIT: If you are in the forest covenant Shiva of the east acts as a Vendor in that area too

I know about Queelana, I have the ascended pyro glove on at least two characters. Just wondering why I didn't bother to buy Great Fireball on the two previous playthroughs.

And it's been a long time since I fought Artorias. Trying to beat him with Dark Souls 2 dodging strategies, which get you killed.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Alright, I just beat Manus. That guy...hit like a ****ing freight train.

After burning through all 20 of my estus and running on empty, it felt damn good seeing his last punch whiff into the ground and watching my sword slide right into him.

I'm glad I saved the DLC for right before the end. Some of the stuff I played before it (Lord Souls quest) was a bit of a drag and a step down.

RPGamer92

Banned
I need help with the Divine Weapon Achievement. I've given Andrei the required embers but when I reinforce a weapon to +5, it never shows up in the occult section for modifying. Help??

Mistel

Banned
I need help with the Divine Weapon Achievement. I've given Andrei the required embers but when I reinforce a weapon to +5, it never shows up in the occult section for modifying. Help??
Sure you've given him all the right embers? Maybe you're looking on the wrong tab as occult is different to divine.

MG310

Got summoned to fight Seath on PC by a guy using the Dragon Head/Torso stones. Don't think I've ever actually seen either one in action before.

Not sure where the problem is, but there is large divine (divine +6-10) and occult, they're two separate upgrade paths with two different embers needed. Both use white titanite chunks and a white slab to upgrade. So either you don't have any white chunks or you don't have the ember maybe.

Just finished blighttown thankfully although i accidentally killed that thing that looked like a spider nest/egg near the spider covernant which turned out to be an npc...oops!

Booshka

http://www.mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=429608187305360255

This a current build I'm doing. It is DEX/INT, but I need tips since I rarely bother with magic/faith in this game.

It is for PvE, not a PvP build.

Start as Wanderer for that build, you lose a good amount of levels starting as Thief. I would get some more efficient armor, weight/defense ratio is a bit bad. If you actually want to use spells then increase your ATT to at least 16, if not, 12 is fine for just Buffing your weapon. You can lower your STR to 12-14 depending on what you are gonna use, you only really need 16 if you want to use Halberd or Flamberge, even then those are much better 2 handed, so don't really need 16 STR for them.

Lower your Endurance a little bit for more Vit, or try to get your INT to 32 so you can use Tin Crystal Catalyst for a much stronger Crystal Magic Weapon Buff. Also, Dex to 45 will decrease your casting speed significantly, so invest in more dex if you are going to cast some more spells for damage. If it is just for weapon buffs, then don't bother.

Those are my current stats though. :p

The 16 str was because I was using the Gravelord Sword 2handed almost all game. I already got attunement to 16. So I'm gonna focus on upping that INT to something like 38 to use the soul spears at least.

Top Bottom