• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Randam

- Went to the valley of drakes by mistake: another 10k souls lost as I was trying to escape. Fell in the elevator shaft when I tried to go get them back and died again

- got my ass handed to me by the crystal golems and the guy that has the havel ring, three times. Until I realized I had no weapon equiped.

- Havel's rign <3

how did you know that?
stop using a guide.
it will spoil the fun for you.

Stopped playing... Farmed a few dozen thousands souls by getting summoned again and again in the depths. Easy.

Now, I just need to buy some titanite shards and reinforce my equipment.
stop grinding for souls.
it will spoil the fun/rewarding feeling you get after beat a thouhgh sction/enemy.

I have 8 charges of whatever the first pyromancer spell is. Haven't used magic at all except for against the worms that bust outta them one dudes.

Edit: The knight is dead, but how do you kite? In all my attempts they just blob up and run you over. Couldn't separate anyone.

On another note, got to O&S, Got O almost dead and figured I'd try to get S low on health too for when he switched, this was my second attempt. Got Smough down to under a half and the other dude almost dead then died.
Of course that took 30 minutes, because I only got an opening to attack like every 10 times I circled the room :/

Does their health carry over to phase 2?
how did you know there is a phase 2?
stop using a guide.

Context: Playing this for the first time.

pro tip: dont use a guide.
if you are stuck come here and ask for spoiler free help.

Killed him, dropped his soul and found a hornet ring. Soul says he guarded a grave. :( So sad!!

the killed him so fast, i didnt see him limping the first time too.

btw.: the other ring he droppe, is way more imported!!

I just killed the
giant dragon
in the valley of the drakes. Got some cool gear that makes me want to reroll as a cleric.
dont.
the stuff sucks ass.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm getting a strong feeling you don't reccomend using a guide.

And I agreee, sort of, especially when talking about exploration. I do reccomend using one for strategies if you really get stuck. I have used a guide as well, three times now. For strategies on beating Seath, Dickstick and Smough and where the first bonfire in the Tomb of Giants was at. Just "completed" that area, first time a boss went down on my first try. Feels good.
I hate that area, though. Least fun i've had in the enitre game. There's still some loot down there I haven't picked up, but I don't care. I never want to return down there.
So dark. And those dogs, ugh. :/

Two lord souls down, no idea how many more to go!

Divius

I agree with Randam, using a guide 'ruins' part of what makes this game so great. My first playthrough was completely blind and it was probably the best gaming experience I ever had.

Then the second playthrough (where I did use a guide extensively to find hidden items/areas, as well as learning about multiplayer, weapon scaling etc) was like a whole other game together where I learned so many new things.

Two lord souls down, no idea how many more to go!

jk

how did you know that?
stop using a guide.

stop grinding for souls.
it will spoil the fun/rewarding feeling you get after beat a thouhgh sction/enemy.

First off, I knew he had Havel's ring because guess what... I KILLED HIM ON THE FOURTH ATTEMPT.

Secondly, stop trying to tell people how they should or should not enjoy a game they're playing. You enjoyed it the way you played it, fine, I'm so happy for you. But if you're here to tell me what I should or should not do, be nice and leave me the fuck alone.

Just got killed by some fire spitting toads in blight town. Fuck my life :(

Ferr986

stop grinding for souls.

I dont see the problem in grinding souls. In my first playthough I grinded a lot of souls (dont worry, didnt use a guide lol) and it was plenty of fun, difficult and rewarding. Theres plenty of uses for souls, not just levels but also for upgrading shit. Especially if you co-op, because co-op is so much fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. Artorias is my favourite boss fight. Just barely scraped through.

What a fight!

Hystzen

Eh grinding is fine for getting materials for uprgrading weapons or even stats if you feel like it. It all down to player choice it doesn't affect your game or even players game apart from when they figure out boosting stats does not help that much :p

I don't know man, you tell me what's permitted in an honorable playthrough of Dark Souls and I'll do my best to conform to your standards. Ever summoned help before? Killed an undead dragon at range? Used magic? Chain backstabbed an enemy to death?

If you can't beat Manus at SL1 dual-wielding shields you're really not a very good player, if you ask me. The true Dark Souls starts there. ;)
Using a guide--unnaceptable? Exploiting poison arrows--perfectly acceptable? Ok. None of those things you listed require you to just sit there and wait for the enemy to die. I'm fine with magic and I'm fine with poison if used as supplemental dps or even main dps. My point didn't have anything to do with honour or how cheap it is. There are plenty of (cheap) options that don't require you to wait. I never even really said not to do it either, just that I think it's terrible way to "play" since you have to wait so much (i.e. not actively playing). If you find waiting fun, by all means wait.

P.s. I don't think using a guide is that bad. I would recommend against it, but I'd rather someone resort to a guide than poison. And if you really want me to answer your questions, no to all on my first playthrough. Maybe just coincidence though, I prolly did plenty of cheap stuff, just none that you listed.

Anustart

how did you know that?
stop using a guide.

stop grinding for souls.

how did you know there is a phase 2?
stop using a guide.

pro tip: dont use a guide.
if you are stuck come here and ask for spoiler free help.

the killed him so fast, i didnt see him limping the first time too.

btw.: the other ring he droppe, is way more imported!!

dont.
the stuff sucks ass.

Not using a guide sir, that was my second attempt at the boss :)

Edit: Might have been my third try actually, think I died before getting to phase 2 my first go around. Also,classes cancelled today due to inclement weather, woot. More DS progress :D

So...

- kept dying in Blight Town, a fuck-ton of times: fell from up high, got poisoned, stabbed in the back, poisoned, surrounded by ennemies, poisoned...

- finally managed to get to New Londo, where I found an elevator that took me back to Firelink Shrine, FUCK YAAAAR

- firekeeper isn't there anymore... gotta try and find her now :(

Divius

btw I could always use more Dark Souls playing steamfriends. Feel free to add me. I'm available for game information, jolly co-op and moral support.

Ketch

So...

- kept dying in Blight Town, a fuck-ton of times:

- finally managed to get to New Londo, where I found an elevator that took me back to Firelink Shrine, FUCK YAAAAR

I know that feel! My favorite part of the game so far was that last hallway in blight town. Inching forward, slowly battling those last couple enemies, and then finally stepping out on that ledge. Someone left "praise the sun" written there, and if I could have kissed the ground I would have.

I never understood that meme until that very moment.

Chitown B

I love how everything seems to be connected even though initially it seems like all areas are so far away from each other and you'll never get back. Then, shortcut right back the start! Crazy level design.

lol.

I think it's fine to refer to a wiki if you're stuck or just interested in areas. But knowing everything about every area and boss before you even get there seems excessive.

I would suggest new players reference a single wiki article: "Darkstalker Kaathe".

The only secret in DaS that I feel is too well-hidden for how important it is. Read how and where to find him and use that knowledge as you see fit.

Anustart

I would suggest new players reference a single wiki article: "Darkstalker Kaathe".

The only secret in DaS that I feel is too well-hidden for how important it is. Read how and where to find him and use that knowledge as you see fit.

I've heard of him, dunno where he is, but I do know it has something to do with the
lord vessel
so I've refrained from doing anything with it until I find him. That's how I found Sif last night, was going back to areas to look around.

I love how everything seems to be connected even though initially it seems like all areas are so far away from each other and you'll never get back. Then, shortcut right back the start! Crazy level design.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I heard the music that usually plays in the Shrine. I thought my ordeal was finally over, until I realized that the bonfire wasn't lit anymore.

divius: I'd add you, but I'm playing on 360. Are there as many framerate drops on PC ? Because I think the average fps in Blight Town on 360 was around 15 fps...

I've heard of him, dunno where he is, but I do know it has something to do with the
lord vessel
so I've refrained from doing anything with it until I find him. That's how I found Sif last night, was going back to areas to look around.

You're on the right track, then.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I need to stop reading this thread. I haven't had the chance to play the game over the past few days (after reaching the bottom of Blighttown) and Anustart's blow-by-blow commentary is giving me a lot of information about stuff I would rather experience on my own. :/

Chitown B

I need to stop reading this thread. I haven't had the chance to play the game over the past few days (after reaching the bottom of Blighttown) and Anustart's blow-by-blow commentary is giving me a lot of information about stuff I would rather experience on my own. :/

lol seriously. All day long it's "i did this and found this guy, and then discovered this, and this"

Anustart

lol seriously. All day long it's "i did this and found this guy, and then discovered this, and this"

It's not like I say anything in a overly spoiler-y way. Just drop in and mention my progress or vent frustration on a boss.

Not like I'm painting a verbal picture of the step-by-step process on how to do things or where things are at :/ What's the point of a community thread if people aren't discussing what they're doing in the game? Sure we could sit around in a circle jerk and just post "Dark Souls is fun." over and over.

LogicStep

Last night I made a lot of progress.

Cleared New Londo, the
4 kings
went down in my third attempt. What I did was wear as much light magic resist armor so I had max mobility and relied on dodging and my resist to survive.

Got my Claymore to +12.

Then I went to the Demon Ruins and the boss went down in one go.

Started clearing the Demon Ruins, killed
Kirk
again and stopped at the bonfire, damn worms messed me up.

Tonight I think I'll keep going forward into the ruins.

takriel

I'm envious of you guys enjoying this gem for the first time! But hey, Dark Souls II is right around the corner, so I have that to look forward to :)

LogicStep

I'm envious of you guys enjoying this gem for the first time! But hey, Dark Souls II is right around the corner, so I have that to look forward to :)
I beat the game once when it came out. I replayed the first areas, up to Anor Londo, a whole bunch of times, but what comes next I only played once and right now I don't remember a lot so it feels like my first time sort of. What I'm excited for is the DLC area that I haven't visited yet. That should be awesome. Perfect as I wait for DS2.

mannerbot

I beat the game once when it came out. I replayed the first areas, up to Anor Londo, a whole bunch of times, but what comes next I only played once and right now I don't remember a lot so it feels like my first time sort of. What I'm excited for is the DLC area that I haven't visited yet. That should be awesome. Perfect as I wait for DS2.

The DLC is some of the best content in the game, enjoy.

Anustart

Was I supposed to get anything after killing
Stray Demon
? Me and him both died at the same time and when I went back nothing was there.

Oh my, that's a juicy drop to miss, unfortunate. Have you been keeping up with Seigmeyer's questline as that will make up for it (there's also the same item in the DLC right guys?)

btw Anustart, I've been trying to figure out if your username is A Nu Start, or Anus Tart? :)

Sullichin

Oh my, that's a juicy drop to miss, unfortunate. Have you been keeping up with Seigmeyer's questline as that will make up for it (there's also the same item in the DLC right guys?)

btw Anustart, I've been trying to figure out if your username is A Nu Start, or Anus Tart? :)

Both, if it's a reference to Arrested Development season 4 like I think it is

And yeah, there's another titanite slab in the DLC
behind the waterfall in Kalameet's basin

Ferr986

theres one slab in the area where you fight
Kalameet

Anustart

Don't even know who Seigmeyer is lol.

And yep, it's both!

Randam

I dont see the problem in grinding souls. In my first playthough I grinded a lot of souls (dont worry, didnt use a guide lol) and it was plenty of fun, difficult and rewarding. Theres plenty of uses for souls, not just levels but also for upgrading shit. Especially if you co-op, because co-op is so much fun.

well, you get stronger, so you could become to strong for certain areas and it could get boring.

and there isnt even reason to grind.
nowadays you get a lot more souls anyway.

- firekeeper isn't there anymore... gotta try and find her now :(

check the items you found where she was befor.

lol.

I think it's fine to refer to a wiki if you're stuck or just interested in areas. But knowing everything about every area and boss before you even get there seems excessive.

best thing imo is asking here and we give spoiler free tipps.

that was really well hiden, but still, that is something for the 2nd playthrough.

Yeah, you're supposed to get a Titanite Slab. Sucks that you died at the same time because when that happens you don't get it.

really?
didn't know that.

you don't find those items in the chest a firelink either?

I stopped playing last year somewhat due to the giant rape-wolf destroying me over and over and mostly because I moved.

Started a new character(thief) last night and ended up getting the Black Knight's Sword and GS, and managed to kill Havel for the first time. Once this game clicks - so god damn fun. I was struggling on my first character but this one has been a blast. Itching to get off work and play some more.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
For people that don't follow every DkS II thread, I got to play the game today and posted some impressions here.

8 hours of train travel for 2 hours of DkS II + interview. Most definitely worth it.

Ferr986

well, you get stronger, so you could become to strong for certain areas and it could get boring.

and there isnt even reason to grind.
nowadays you get a lot more souls anyway.

That may be true, but I dont think grinding some levels gives you a solid advantatge (unless you grind for days and days..). I mean, people can beat this game at SL1, that shows that this game is more about skill than levels.

For people that don't follow every DkS II thread, I got to play the game today and posted some impressions here.

8 hours of train travel for 2 hours of DkS II + interview. Most definitely worth it.

Seems like everyone is enjoying DS2, despite some questionable changes.

LogicStep

Oh man that sounds amazing! Thanks for marking spoilers! Can't fucking wait for this game. Damn PC release date, what are you?! Have they officially stated it?

Spoilers, spoilers everywhere. Don't touch the black bars, don't touch the black bars. Hhhnnnnnnnnggggggg!

Thanks! :)

Anustart

Woo, got cursed. Now I get the pleasure of having half hp until I run across a purging stone, of which I've had exactly 1 in my entire playthrough. Pretty fucking stupid status effect.

Woo, got cursed. Now I get the pleasure of having half hp until I run across a purging stone, of which I've had exactly 1 in my entire playthrough. Pretty fucking stupid status effect.

Fight the mobs in New Londo. You can hurt them now that you're cursed! And there's a guy there who can cure you. He wears red, don't kill him!

Top Bottom