• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Was reading a few DS threads at work yesterday while I couldn't play and someone pointed out that not playing the game as Human means you're really missing out: co-op invasions.

Last night I went human for the first time (excepting the need to kindle), threw down my summon sign and engaged in some Jolly Co-op! It was pretty badass. I got summoned twice. The first time, the host summoned another phantom too and all 3 of us did a run and wrecked the boss. The 2nd time, the host and I just ran around and fought off two invasions. It was a lot of fun protecting the host and gave me a risk free way to explore the level. And I also made tons of souls! So doing this more.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Was reading a few DS threads at work yesterday while I couldn't play and someone pointed out that not playing the game as Human means you're really missing out: co-op invasions.

Last night I went human for the first time (excepting the need to kindle), threw down my summon sign and engaged in some Jolly Co-op! It was pretty badass. I got summoned twice. The first time, the host summoned another phantom too and all 3 of us did a run and wrecked the boss. The 2nd time, the host and I just ran around and fought off two invasions. It was a lot of fun protecting the host and gave me a risk free way to explore the level. And I also made tons of souls! So doing this more.

You don't need to be human to be summoned for co-op. You do need to be human to do the summoning.

JustinBB7

I got class in 9 hours but I'm thinking about booting up the game to do a bit more adventuring! I can't even put a finger on why I like the game so much, but I do.

Didn't you post like 2 days ago you didn't get the appeal and wanted to stop playing? :p

Anustart

Didn't you post like 2 days ago you didn't get the appeal and wanted to stop playing? :p

No sir!

Think I said it was good, but didn't yet think it was great at the time. I'm like a kid now with cinnamon toast crunch, I SEE!!!

Also, stayed up til 3am last night, get up at 8 to go take an exam, then while taking it my other classes were cancelled! Woo.

Chitown B

a problem with being human is you can get invaded by assholes who just want to kill you and get souls. That happened to me last night in the Depths. I forgot I was human.

Hystzen

Last time played this game DLC was out but never bought it (no idea why I did not).

So this new run ready for DS2 got it and holy crap the sanctuary guardian buggered me hard. was not expecting a boss that kills your stamina with shock wave then insta follows up with a attack. Also that 4 hit combo god damn lol I been wondering why people been saying don't do DLC til near end game now I know.

Anustart

Sure I get time to hit Queelag every once in a while, but if she jumps, I'm just screwed. Jump -> Stun -> Swipe -> Dead. :/ Even if I'm running away from her and roll away at last second it still results in a seemingly unavoidable stun death.

Not to mention I'm running out of purple moss trekking threw that damn swamp every time.

mannerbot

Sure I get time to hit Queelag every once in a while, but if she jumps, I'm just screwed. Jump -> Stun -> Swipe -> Dead. :/ Even if I'm running away from her and roll away at last second it still results in a seemingly unavoidable stun death.

Not to mention I'm running out of purple moss trekking threw that damn swamp every time.

There's no such thing as an unavoidable stun death by a boss (though sure, one-shots can happen). You're invincible when you get knocked down and you can roll/block as soon as you get up. And if you're getting hit by the jump, there are probably a few things you're doing wrong: you're not actually rolling at the last second, because clearly she's hitting you so your invincibility frames are gone; you're not rolling to the side to minimize the amount of time that she has to hit you; and possibly you're over 50% equipment load so you're fat rolling, making it harder to dodge attacks? In any case, she shouldn't be jumping much at all if you're staying in melee range as she obviously jumps to close distance.

There is a route across the swamp to Queelag that you can use to avoid being poisoned.

Anustart

Doing alright I guess, perhaps after enough attempts of me getting lucky. Sometimes she seemingly cancels her breathing lava to light her butt on fire which hits, stuns, hits and kills. :/

Edit: Killed the bitch. Dropped my puny Battle Axe + 5 that hit for 60 a pop for my black knight sword. Strafe around her shielding, switch to 2hand when I could and hit her twice. Finally went down.

Alright guys, VaatiVidya has recently made a video about his first impressions of Dark Souls 2 the full version, if ENB hasn't convinced you enough, this should. The game looks amazing!!!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys, VaatiVidya has recently made a video about his first impressions of Dark Souls 2 the full version, if ENB hasn't convinced you enough, this should. The game looks amazing!!!

It's not the full version, it's the same 1 hour that all the press has played recently.

That being said, I'm debating putting in a pre-order for Dark Souls 2. It's my first time playing Dark Souls and I just got to the bottom of Blighttown yesterday, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish the game before DS2 comes out. And even if I do, I imagine I'll want to do NG+ or something before I jump into DS2.

Decisions, decisions.

Anustart

After Quelaag should I be heading into Demon Ruins or going back up topside? I poked around in demon ruins, but there's a big scary gold door I'm afraid to go in.

JustinBB7

After Quelaag should I be heading into Demon Ruins or going back up topside? I poked around in demon ruins, but there's a big scary gold door I'm afraid to go in.

You can't go through the scary door yet. You need to go back to firelink and talk to somebody, he will tell you what to do.

Ive been able to tolerate getting hit through walls and shit up till now, but im getting seriously fucked off with Ornstein hitting me through Smough AAAAAAAAARRGGHH

I really hope they sort this shit in DS2

Anustart

You can't go through the scary door yet. You need to go back to firelink and talk to somebody, he will tell you what to do.

In that case, I'll be back for you later scary door!

The_Scary_Door_by_tibots.jpg

Edit: Found an illusory wall near quelaag's place, and killed one of those dudes with worms in him....then he talked as he was dieing... Did I dun goof?

2nd Edit: Oh lordy. I attacked a "wall" turned out to be the damn firekeeper :( Coulda upgraded my damn estus. NOW WHAT

mannerbot

Edit: Found an illusory wall near quelaag's place, and killed one of those dudes with worms in him....then he talked as he was dieing... Did I dun goof?

2nd Edit: Oh lordy. I attacked a "wall" turned out to be the damn firekeeper :( Coulda upgraded my damn estus. NOW WHAT

You sure do like attacking NPCs. I don't think these are "accidents."

LogicStep

The_Scary_Door_by_tibots.jpg

There is still another fire keeper. Keep playing.

Anustart

You sure do like attacking NPCs. I don't think these are "accidents."

Not my fault the npc looked like another random worm infested dude :)

I'll admit, firekeeper was all me though, I just got a little over zealous with the wall.

Edit: Who was worm dude? I shoulda known when I couldn't target him, but whatever, he was icky.

There's no such thing as an unavoidable stun death by a boss (though sure, one-shots can happen). You're invincible when you get knocked down and you can roll/block as soon as you get up. And if you're getting hit by the jump, there are probably a few things you're doing wrong: you're not actually rolling at the last second, because clearly she's hitting you so your invincibility frames are gone; you're not rolling to the side to minimize the amount of time that she has to hit you; and possibly you're over 50% equipment load so you're fat rolling, making it harder to dodge attacks? In any case, she shouldn't be jumping much at all if you're staying in melee range as she obviously jumps to close distance.
It's important to note that enemies tend to have certain moves depending on where you are. This is very exploitable for certain bosses, but can still be used advantageously for most others. Sometimes you may actually be worse off trying to run behind or even away from them. For Quelaag, I find it's best to be just directly in front of her. She actually has a blind spot where her sword attacks don't hit, so you don't have to waste time or stamina blocking/dodging them. If you have a long weapon, you can also actually stunlock her if you can reach her bewbs.

mannerbot

Do you guys watch other people play this game on YouTube? Do you have any recommendations / preferred players?

Biggest name in the community is EpicNameBro. Decent gameplay and lore, cool personality:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI6keWArpxmfeiuAATv7jZw

VaatiVidya is a lore guy with great production:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w

vageta311 has some educational videos and also some great gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7oUxtyTa4K4y2L5toWN-Ag

Kay Plays is uploading vids from her first blind playthrough (still ongoing). Lots of people really like it for her methodical playstyle and enjoy the way she takes notes and figures out things for herself. This one's just meh for me because I like watching people that are good, but it's enjoyable enough:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g

And lastly, my favorite channel, Emarrel's. SL1 NG+7, what else needs to be said? Amazing gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKXqcI40NlIJYAmtzaieCFA

I've defeated the Gaping Dragon.

Now, I have to think about what to do next.
The Blighttown key dropped after the boss, and that is the logical choice, but if you haven't already I would go back to the Parish and give the item you should've found in the chest in the Depths to Andre and then farm some of the tree monsters in the forest for purple and blooming purple moss - they will come in VERY handy in Blighttown.

If you haven't done the Moonlight Butterfly and Hydra bosses in the forest, they are also very easy/managable, Hydra is especially useful if you use magic.

This one's just meh for me because I like watching people that are good, but it's enjoyable enough
Kay parries Dragonslayer arrows, that's about as hardcore as it gets! :)

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Not my fault the npc looked like another random worm infested dude :)

I'll admit, firekeeper was all me though, I just got a little over zealous with the wall.

Edit: Who was worm dude? I shoulda known when I couldn't target him, but whatever, he was icky.

He's offers a few pyromancies.

mannerbot

Kay parries Dragonslayer arrows, that's about as hardcore as it gets! :)

Heh, she's certainly gotten a LOT better since she started playing. I think I stopped watching after the first 20 or so and watched the latest one the other day, and yeah in the span of those 30 episodes she's turned into a totally different player. In the beginning she'd stop moving when she adjusted her camera and it was really jarring, haha.

Anustart

do you want to actually play the game, or just have someone tell you a story? lol :)

Hey, to be honest that's the first fork I asked about. Didn't want anyone to say where, just if I should be heading down or up :)

I'm up in sen's fortress, just ran past a snake wizard, got shot in the back 3 times with something and promptly died.

Chitown B

Hey, to be honest that's the first fork I asked about. Didn't want anyone to say where, just if I should be heading down or up :)

I'm up in sen's fortress, just ran past a snake wizard, got shot in the back 3 times with something and promptly died.

haha it's cool. Just seems like the last day you've been asking what to do next a lot. But to each their own. I do that sometimes here too.

Biggest name in the community is EpicNameBro. Decent gameplay and lore, cool personality:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI6keWArpxmfeiuAATv7jZw

VaatiVidya is a lore guy with great production:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w

vageta311 has some educational videos and also some great gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7oUxtyTa4K4y2L5toWN-Ag

Kay Plays is uploading vids from her first blind playthrough (still ongoing). Lots of people really like it for her methodical playstyle and enjoy the way she takes notes and figures out things for herself. This one's just meh for me because I like watching people that are good, but it's enjoyable enough:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu3T-57vLRVEjF8viOEjm9g

And lastly, my favorite channel, Emarrel's. SL1 NG+7, what else needs to be said? Amazing gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKXqcI40NlIJYAmtzaieCFA
I recently found SunlightBlade, he has several great PvP compilations: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWJb-VSoWcKiEznjcnZCmXQ

Try not attacking things that don't attack you first. :D

Anustart

haha it's cool. Just seems like the last day you've been asking what to do next a lot. But to each their own. I do that sometimes here too.

Only things I've asked about is boss' while I'm at them if I'm getting frustrated and the whole demon ruins or up. Other than that just been talking :) I don't like to follow a guide while playing!

Also, anyone know where I'm at? There I was, fighting the iron golem on top of sen's fortress, I wound up a TERRIFIC swing, at the same time he went to grab me!

Well, two unstoppable forces met (my black knight sword, his fist) and I went flying across the map, landed on a small tower with 2 chests in it, divine blessing and something else. Boss fight still going on too lol.

2nd Edit: Another NPC may have just been pissed off.... Some knight with a bow ran up in my tower with the 2 chests gun's ablazin. He dropped Ricard's rapier, though if he was an npc I didn't attack him first!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
ALLRIGHT, Dark Souls has me hooked now.

I started playing it about a month ago, had a rough time at the start but I knew it was a hard game from the hype. Fought my way to the Taurus Demon, failed at him miserably for a long time but eventually got by him (barely). Then the rest of Undead Burg frustrated me with those caped knights who wield rapiers and shields, I just died relentlessly to them. So I played the game in spurts of a half hour here, an hour there, quitting after dying too much and just feeling stumped.

In the past week though something has happened. I dedicated last weekend to it, spending time trying things out, different armor, various weapons, practicing dodging, rolling, evasion and parrying. Suddenly the normal undead monsters are like soul fodder to me. I can even reliably beat two caped knights at once now, hell I took on three simultaneously the other night just for kicks. I beat the sorcerer up in the church, and then fought the Gargoyles on the church rooftop. After dying many times to them, I eventually figured out a strategy and took them down! That was a week ago...

So during the past week I've played the shit out of Dark Souls. I found the Blacksmith and learned how to upgrade weapons and armor. I've unlocked many shortcuts and bonfires. I've explored a lot of the Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin, and the Undead Depths. I've collected a bunch of new weapons and armors. I'm now Soul level 31. I've beaten several bosses, including Havel, a giant Hydra, the Butterfly, the Goat creature with Two Swords, and an armored Pig or something. It's like I've finally learned how to actually play the damn game, and now it's fun as all hell. I've died a metric crap ton of times too, but it no longer seems to bother me much. I embrace death as a lesson now.

I've also found many other routes to other areas, some of them seem hard at my current gear and level. The game is so open ended in it's world design, it really doesn't tell you what to do or where to go at any time, it just lets you wander about and try things out. I like that. There is a large boss with horns, a tail, and a huge staff under the blacksmith that I always just run around, I don't know if he can be killed or not but I don't seem able to dent him currently. I also found some huge white wolf wielding a sword in its mouth that utterly decimates me every time I try to kill him. I think for now I'll keep pushing down into the Depths after the dual welding Goat, it's an interesting area so far.

I think Dark Souls has taken my soul, I think I'm addicted to it. I can now see why this game is so popular.

Only things I've asked about is boss' while I'm at them if I'm getting frustrated and the whole demon ruins or up. Other than that just been talking :) I don't like to follow a guide while playing!

Also, anyone know where I'm at? There I was, fighting the iron golem on top of sen's fortress, I wound up a TERRIFIC swing, at the same time he went to grab me!

Well, two unstoppable forces met (my black knight sword, his fist) and I went flying across the map, landed on a small tower with 2 chests in it, divine blessing and something else. Boss fight still going on too lol.

2nd Edit: Another NPC may have just been pissed off.... Some knight with a bow ran up in my tower with the 2 chests gun's ablazin. He dropped Ricard's rapier, though if he was an npc I didn't attack him first!
Wow, you somehow were glitched into another part of Sen's Fortress (it's a path you went by on your way up to fight the Iron Golem).

The enemy that attacked you was Ricard himself, he is always hostile. There are some NPCs that are always hostile, or turn hostile based on some other event other than you directly attacking them.

Get to the top of Sen's Fortress to kill the big guy throwing boulders. Pull out my pyro glove, charge up spell and...the game freezes. I never saved at the hidden bonfire so it takes me back to Undead Parish. Fuuuuuu

Whatever, I got it beat (twice!). Anor Londo is gorgeous after all the decaying castles, bogs and sewers I've been slogging through, my god

Top Bottom