• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Anustart

Get to the top of Sen's Fortress to kill the big guy throwing boulders. Pull out my pyro glove, charge up spell and...the game freezes. I never saved at the hidden bonfire so it takes me back to Undead Parish. Fuuuuuu

Whatever, I got it beat (twice!). Anor Londo is gorgeous after all the decaying castles, bogs and sewers I've been slogging through, my god

Wish I had known there was a hidden bonfire in sen's castle. Perhaps I'll go back and bang on walls to see if I can find it.

- Went to the valley of drakes by mistake: another 10k souls lost as I was trying to escape. Fell in the elevator shaft when I tried to go get them back and died again

- got my ass handed to me by the crystal golems and the guy that has the havel ring, three times. Until I realized I had no weapon equiped.

- Havel's rign <3

- Went to the valley of drakes by mistake: another 10k souls lost as I was trying to escape. Fell in the elevator shaft when I tried to go get them back and died again

- got my ass handed to me by the crystal golems and the guy that has the havel ring, three times. Until I realized I had no weapon equiped.

- Havel's rign <3

Greg? Yeah, he sucks.

Anustart

It's useless now that you activated the shortcut.

Hell I dunno if I even activated a short cut in sen's fortress.

Also, I'm tired of running up anor londo getting sniped by 2 dudes throwing god spears that 2 shot me only to get near one and can't attack it.

Edit: Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't also get knocked off the ledge so damn easy, not to mention you're taking godspears in the back when you go for one of em.

Stopped playing... Farmed a few dozen thousands souls by getting summoned again and again in the depths. Easy.

Now, I just need to buy some titanite shards and reinforce my equipment.

Hell I dunno if I even activated a short cut in sen's fortress.

Also, I'm tired of running up anor londo getting sniped by 2 dudes throwing god spears that 2 shot me only to get near one and can't attack it.

Edit: Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't also get knocked off the ledge so damn easy, not to mention you're taking godspears in the back when you go for one of em.
If you found the merchant in Sen's, you probably found the key to the shortcut "elevator" as well.

The Anor Londo archers are a trial by fire for everyone, and there's more than one way to skin a cat.

The easiest way is speed - <25% equip load will give you the fastest movement speed and roll. Run up the butress, when you get to the top go right and use the invincibility frames of the roll to roll through the oncoming arrow, then get right in the face of the archer on the right, then either parry and riposte or block and hope he falls off (drop your shield between each of his hits or combo to recharge your stamina quicker, it refills very slowly with shield up - no stamina = stun/stagger = death). You can also shield bash if you're using a great shield that doesn't parry with R2.

Hystzen

Sliver knight archers are easy the one on right does not attack if you stay in the area where two those pink gargoyles are. Just stand back shoot 3 poison arrows hide behind pillar then get a cup of tea. Shoot 3 more if needed, rinse wash repeat with one on left.

Poison arrows are god tier useful for anything even giants in sens. Soon see that damage counter go down go make a brew and read stuff online with phone

Anustart

Got up there. Looks like there's one of those things in the castle that's also near the blacksmith in undead parish.... I tried to tussle with it once, didn't go well.

Edit: Dawww, the blacksmith in anor londo is soooooo cute :3

Anustart

Jesus. Trying to kill this knight who killed the firekeeper is just fucking irritating. Run up > RUN THE FUCK AWAY BECAUSE THERES 3 AND I CANT USE ESTUS > Die.

Try getting them on the stairs to funnel, but they just blob up and overwhelm me like a fucking hungry pack of zerg.

cj_iwakura

Jesus. Trying to kill this knight who killed the firekeeper is just fucking irritating. Run up > RUN THE FUCK AWAY BECAUSE THERES 3 AND I CANT USE ESTUS > Die.

Try getting them on the stairs to funnel, but they just blob up and overwhelm me like a fucking hungry pack of zerg.

Lure them in from a distance. Get hits on the mage if you can. They'll fall like dominoes once they chase you up the stairs, especially if you can firestorm those fools.

It's one of my favorite fights, savor it. You only get one shot.

Do you have any kind of magic at your disposal? If so, hitting lautrec with it while he's chasing you up the stairs is a viable option. Otherwise your best bet would be to rush in, take out the mage first (you can usually get one good backstabbing in on him while he's charging a spell if you run in) and then just lure the other two to the stairs. The claymore knight can be a pain if you stay on the floor, so just keep dragging them around the stairs. Eventually he should get caught on thhe side of the staircase while lautrec chases you up them.

For fighting lautrec himself, just keep going for backstabs, he's bad at defending against them. Parry if you're confident in your ability to do so, but if you can do to begin with you will have a much easier time with this fight in general.

It blends into the wall so well you can barely see it. But once you're up there you're outside of his attack zone. Easy way to get past him without running for your life, or an easy way to pelt him with short-range pyromancies if need be.

Wow, you're right! I never noticed it before.

dmr87

I just killed them, do some kiting and then go full 2 hand action on one's ass and run away, repeat. Killed the mage first and then the lancer.

Sliver knight archers are easy the one on right does not attack if you stay in the area where two those pink gargoyles are. Just stand back shoot 3 poison arrows hide behind pillar then get a cup of tea. Shoot 3 more if needed, rinse wash repeat with one on left.

Poison arrows are god tier useful for anything even giants in sens. Soon see that damage counter go down go make a brew and read stuff online with phone
That sounds like a terrible way to "play" the game.

Anustart

I have 8 charges of whatever the first pyromancer spell is. Haven't used magic at all except for against the worms that bust outta them one dudes.

Edit: The knight is dead, but how do you kite? In all my attempts they just blob up and run you over. Couldn't separate anyone.

On another note, got to O&S, Got O almost dead and figured I'd try to get S low on health too for when he switched, this was my second attempt. Got Smough down to under a half and the other dude almost dead then died.
Of course that took 30 minutes, because I only got an opening to attack like every 10 times I circled the room :/

Does their health carry over to phase 2?

Overdoziz

Banned
The only issue I've ever had with the archer knights is killing them (well, only the one on the right actually) without falling off myself. Don't really understand how people have issues with running up to them because you can easily avoid their arrows by zigzagging or even just running fast in a straight line.

dmr87

On another note, got to O&S, Got O almost dead and figured I'd try to get S low on health too for when he switched, this was my second attempt. Got Smough down to under a half and the other dude almost dead then died.

Does their health carry over to phase 2?

Depending on who you kill first their power will transfer over to the other and he will get full health and a power boost, killing Ornstein first is generally considered easier. There's also different rewards depending on the order you kill them, you can check up on that if you want.

Anustart

Depending on who you kill first their power will transfer over to the other and he will get full health and a power boost, killing Ornstein first is generally considered easier. There's also different rewards depending on the order you kill them, you can check up on that if you want.

Oh yay, full health. Doesn't matter, weapon I'm using broke and I don't even know how to repair this kinda weapon. No smith can do it.

Only other weapon I have that will do more than 5 damage takes 30 seconds to wind up.

Overdoziz

Banned
If it's a crystal weapon it can't be repaired. Also, it's probably wise to buy a repairkit if you haven't yet, makes it much less of a hassle.

Context: Playing this for the first time.

So, I get down to the lower level of Blighttown. I run toward the hill, realize there are giants holding boulders. Decide that maybe I should check around some of the other nearby areas. I see a mill that serves as a makeshift elevator. Ride that thing up to the top. Find an entrance to a waterway... with tons of Blowdart Snipers. My wife decides that now is a great time to walk in the door and tell me about her day. I get Toxic and am getting pummeled by the snipers, so I decide to use a Homeward Bone to warp back to the last Bonfire and cleanse my status/not die.

... There was a Bonfire at the lower level? Shit.

Anustart

O&S dead! Took me probably 10 tries, and lemme tell ya, wasn't easy when I was swinging this black knight sword.

Had 0 estus left, just about half hp, and what looked liked 2 hits left on the big O. I run in and smack him, he jumps to do his electric boogaloo ass slam, I mis-time my roll and get hit, somehow it doesn't do the damage it usually does and leaves me with a fraction of a percent of my life left, waited for one more jump attack smash and I ran in for the murder, woo.

Chitown B

I just got fucking cursed by an exploding frog. Should I just re-roll? this is ridiculous.

edit: looks like I can go to Oswald, thankfully.

dmr87

I refused to give up, countless wipes later.

Praise the sun

EF7.jpg

Main thing was to figure out how to reliably dodge his lightning grab.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I refused to give up, countless wipes later.

Main thing was to figure out how to reliably dodge his lightning grab.

I decided to do this for the first time through.

Finally said fuck it and summoned a havel-wearing phantom to assist in diverting his attention during phase 2 after who knows how many tries, but it still felt damn good.

Also, holy shit @ the difference having beaten the game makes for a new character. My warrior is tearing through Undead Burg and Parish.

Do STR users generally go for the STR/DEX mix items due to superior dex scaling (compared to STR scaling on dex weps), or is STR maxed up to 40-50 for poise builds more feasible?

Yeah, just like all those minutes spent waiting to be summoned. Why would anyone subject themselves to that sort of "gameplay"?

Go on thinking that your way to play is the only right one.
That's not even close to the same thing unless you mean doing co-op to just leech by letting the other person do all the work.

Hystzen

That sounds like a terrible way to "play" the game.

Do you also think using magic and pyro is also terrible way to "play" due to how goddamn broken it is?

Poison arrows are useful for:

Killing lightning shooting serpents who attack you on Sen Fortress walkways while you dodge the blades

Sliver archers

Fire bomb giant

The two boars before Dukes

Undead dragons in painting and valley

Yes I admit can be cheap but the developers give you options how to play and solve certain issues in different ways. Like I tend be pure melee as I find if wayy more fun fighting bosses and normal enemies up close.

I never get tired of seeing people successfully getting through S&O. I have a character set up specifically to help people through it and experience the fight over and over again. One of the most interesting battles in the entire game.

That's not even close to the same thing unless you mean doing co-op to just leech by letting the other person do all the work.

I don't know man, you tell me what's permitted in an honorable playthrough of Dark Souls and I'll do my best to conform to your standards. Ever summoned help before? Killed an undead dragon at range? Used magic? Chain backstabbed an enemy to death?

If you can't beat Manus at SL1 dual-wielding shields you're really not a very good player, if you ask me. The true Dark Souls starts there. ;)

Anustart

Fought some wolf with a sword. Dunno why everyone gets hits with the feels, maybe I'll learn something about him after I beat him. Managed like 3 hits against him :/

Ran into Queelag. She roasted me. Dunno yet what I can do, as she moves quick and seemingly doesn't relent enough to attack much. Perhaps I should come back later. Did head out of blight town through the valley of drakes way, found the fire keeper dead (dangit, I have a firekeeper soul!).

The easiest and least risky time to attack that I found was when she does that lava spewing attack. Not all of them though, there's one where she moves the head from side to side for an extended period of time, rather than just spitting it out quickly. That one let me get 2 or 3 hits in each time if I was close when she started the attack.

Booshka

Been a while since I posted on GAF, glad to see OT5 up for Dark Souls. I posted way too much in OT4, never stopped playing the game.

dmr87

Fought some wolf with a sword. Dunno why everyone gets hits with the feels, maybe I'll learn something about him after I beat him. Managed like 3 hits against him :/

Rinse and repeat, just need to learn his attacks and avoid the 360 slash.

Killed him, dropped his soul and found a hornet ring. Soul says he guarded a grave. :( So sad!!

You saw the way he moved when you were close to the end of the fight, right? What did you think of that?

PROTIP: you can actually loot that ring without triggering the boss fight.

Anustart

You saw the way he moved when you were close to the end of the fight, right? What did you think of that?

I didn't notice anything really. He had a hunk of life left when I wailed on him twice with my dark knight blade. He was right on top of me! Don't think he moved at all lol.

I didn't notice anything really. He had a hunk of life left when I wailed on him twice with my dark knight blade. He was right on top of me! Don't think he moved at alllol.

That is because
he was injured and limping from the beating you were giving him. He was just being a faithful dog and guarding his master's grave. :(

Spoiler for anyone who hadn't beat Sif yet.

Anustart

I'll say though, that lil forest leading up to him is quite ferocious. People that take like 8 hits to kill, and some deadly magic as well.

After my first death against Sif I just #yolo'd straight to him. Downed him on second try after I threw on a different shield and weapon.

Ketch

Fuck your avatar. god damnit.

edit: Not funny. LOL. I'm watching video on giant bomb here with the lights out and then switch tabs to neoGAF and freak the fuck out because there's a giant spider on my monitor.

I just killed the
giant dragon
in the valley of the drakes. Got some cool gear that makes me want to reroll as a cleric. I'm currently using the black iron set with the black knight great sword and black knight shield, prettty decent heavy armor I think and I still have fast roll so I think it's a pretty good build.

I've got my str up to 40 because it's the main stat for the BKGS, but now I'm not sure if I want to start leveling dex for the extra damage, or start speccing into miracles or sorcery, or just put all the rest into end/vit.

I'm just starting new londo, so I think I just have to kill the four kings and gravelord neeto and then the last boss?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
This game never fails me, got inspired by certain players running around trying to put up costumes like a spartan warrior (from the movie 300) and I started doing it myself.

Note: :/ but my char is a woman..

Invading people with with these items
http://mmdks.com/5ked (or alternative link)

But none of them are fully upgraded, armor pieces at +3, shield at +10 and weapons at +5.

The running two handed (L1) attack with the Pike looks really unique, haha.

Booshka

Fuck your avatar. god damnit.

edit: Not funny. LOL. I'm watching video on giant bomb here with the lights out and then switch tabs to neoGAF and freak the fuck out because there's a giant spider on my monitor.

I just killed the
giant dragon
in the valley of the drakes. Got some cool gear that makes me want to reroll as a cleric. I'm currently using the black iron set with the black knight great sword and black knight shield, prettty decent heavy armor I think and I still have fast roll so I think it's a pretty good build.

I've got my str up to 40 because it's the main stat for the BKGS, but now I'm not sure if I want to start leveling dex for the extra damage, or start speccing into miracles or sorcery, or just put all the rest into end/vit.

I'm just starting new londo, so I think I just have to kill the four kings and gravelord neeto and then the last boss?

just keep leveling Vit and Endurance, the gains from Dex are nominal with E Scaling, and if you want to dabble in Faith or Intelligence, it would be better to just start a new character and try it out fresh from the beginning. Just go full STR Warrior with tons of Vit and Endurance.

Top Bottom