• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Well, right now I'm using a Tin Banishment Catalyst as it can double as a melee weapon. Have any suggestions for a good DEX weapon?

The tin banishment kinda nerfs your Mafic damage. It's really whatever you think is cool. Balder swag sword is really good, I used great scythe once which wrecked. Ricards/Velkas rapier are also ones to consider as those scale with INT as well

Running a tank build -- str 40, end 40, vit 30, Dex 19 (only enough to use my primary weapon, Black Knight Greatsword). Been messing around with other weapons but not really impressed -- dragon Greatsword + 4 (too slow, too heavy), Demon Greataxe + 10 (good, but also extremely slow and a stamina hog compared to BK Greatsword). I just want to hand out absurd melee damage. ;)

Nice that's a sweet weapon. I'm using man serpent greatsword which has B str scaling, a great move set and weighs 10 units. It attacks a lot faster than the BKGS so I bet after upgrading it you could get better DPS.

Plus it weighs 4 less units. worth considering

VinFTW

I might be late to this but, is there really no way to get DSfix working on Windows 7/Steamworks version of the game?

Already tried 2.4 and it just crashes on loading the game (after start menu).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I tried the Black Knight Greatsword last night....it's so slow, you really have to anticipate and hope your timing is right on. Black Knight Halberd is far superior imo because it's just as powerful, yet very quick and has a good move set.

I like the Black Knight Greatsword, but at first I didn't. Only has 2 useful attacks. R1 for a 360 (almost) swing, and two handed R1 for a relatively quick, sharply overhead downwards slash. The R2 attacks are WAY too slow to be practical, unless you're backstabbing, then two-handed r2 is pretty devastating and will knock most enemies on their back.

Nice that's a sweet weapon. I'm using man serpent greatsword which has B str scaling, a great move set and weighs 10 units. I recommend checking that and demon great axe which has A scaling I believe

Serpent Greatsword? Sounds good, what is required for that? Does it have a claymore-esque move set? I love that weapon.

Mistel

Banned
Serpent Greatsword? Sounds good, what is required for that? Does it have a claymore-esque move set? I love that weapon.
It's dropped by the man serpents in sens. No thrusts in its moveset but it makes up with that with the slashes it has and the upwards one.

Tarkus

I like the Black Knight Greatsword, but at first I didn't. Only has 2 useful attacks. R1 for a 360 (almost) swing, and two handed R1 for a relatively quick, sharply overhead downwards slash. The R2 attacks are WAY too slow to be practical, unless you're backstabbing, then two-handed r2 is pretty devastating and will knock most enemies on their back.
Yeah, the Black Knight swords are boring as hell. The Claymore and MSGS both have great movesets, are relatively quick, and do great damage at +15.

Actually, Claymore is much quicker with great reach.

Booshka

Yeah, the Black Knight swords are boring as hell. The Claymore and MSGS both have great movesets, are relatively quick, and do great damage at +15.

Actually, Claymore is much quicker with great reach.

image.php

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Didn't expect that from SourShoes :lol

Booshka

Didn't expect that from SourShoes :lol

To be fair, he is right, the Swords are pretty lame, the BKH and BKGA on the other hand, are fun as hell, deceptively fast and very strong weapons with great movesets. Black Knight Swords are outclassed in the Great and Ultra Great class.

Auctopus

Sorry if this is old but my friend just sent me it and I'd never seen it before, I consider myself pretty up to date on DS fan-art etc.

lordran.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
W... wow. Is that accurate?

think i may have done the wrong thing...i thought i was supposed to kill
Gwynevere

i also didn't realise you weren't supposed to heal if you bow to an invader...is this true? i thought bowing was just manners...

Mistel

Banned
Gwynevere

i also didn't realise you weren't supposed to heal if you bow to an invader...is this true? i thought bowing was just manners...
The first thing isn't wrong at all it just results in you now having dark Anor Londo opening you up to darkmoon invasions. The second isn't true you're being invaded do what ever you want.

Auctopus

i thought i was supposed to kill
Gwynevere

lol, you're not supposed to but at the same time you're not not supposed to. It should be okay, luckily after you meet Gwyenevere, you can be just about done with Anor Londo for your play through.

It's all subjective. I don't like people who retreat in duels and heal but that's just me. You'll find people who backstab you mid-bow so it all depends really! Up to you whether you wanna be noble or whatever, haha.

Tarkus

I guess that because you bowed, the invader thought you were receptive of a duel and would abide by the typical PvP "etiquette" instead of being just some unlucky invadee who was caught in human form. I don't mind people healing; it leaves them wide open for more damage than the estus flask restores.

I guess that because you bowed, the invader thought you were receptive of a duel and would abide by the typical PvP "etiquette" instead of being just some unlucky invadee who was caught in human form. I don't mind people healing; it leaves them wide open for more damage than the estus flask restores.

Ok thanks, i normally bow when i join as a summon so i just thought i'd do the same to invaders but then read online it means you acknowledge following all these rules...healing did leave me open but thankfully i also one that fight due to crazy luck (being left with only a small amount of hp as he used one of those field inhibators)

Overdoziz

Banned
For some reason I can't get DS1 (PC) to launch anymore. The GFWL version works, but the beta one doesn't. I try to start up the game, but it doesn't do anything besides show a loading icon next to my cursor for a couple of seconds. Anyone know a fix?

For some reason I can't get DS1 (PC) to launch anymore. The GFWL version works, but the beta one doesn't. I try to start up the game, but it doesn't do anything besides show a loading icon next to my cursor for a couple of seconds. Anyone know a fix?

Does it work if you disable DSfix?

Golgo 13

Nearing the end of my play through of DS for the first time, have many people discussed how fucking terrifying this game can be? I think a lot of it is due to the amazing creature design -- never knowing what insane monstrosity is going to be around the next corner that will reset all your progress. Lol.

Red Mage

Gwynevere

I've only been invaded once, and the guy was apparently newer than I was, because he got killed trying to block the Hellkite Dragon's breath. xD

IceMarker

Gwynevere

If you're new to the game you have every right to heal. Just know that it leaves you vulnerable for about 3 seconds so make sure you can heal safely or you'll end up with a sword in your back.

Golgo 13

Jesus, Tomb Of Giants is a royal pain in my ass. I have the skull lantern, but I give up my shield in the process so I'm taking a shitload of hits. Considering upping my intelligence to 14 (and learning the light spell) so I can use my greatshield +10.

I also killed the jackass that pushed me off the ledge. Hopefully I'm not missing anything by killing him.

Level 101, Soul Level 43000

Havent played DS1 in so long thst I fort whats pertinent info or not :p

Typically your level in Souls games is referred to as 'Soul Level' and your amount of souls doesn't factor into online matchmaking. The only thing people need to know when trying to connect to one another is Soul Level.

Moonkid

My summer holidays are coming to an end, New Zealander here, and I'm stuck on Ornstein and Smough, fuck me. I only have one humanity left, should I gap it back to the Depths to farm humanity or is there a viable place to get some humanity in Anor Londo? I do have the Ring that improves item discovery.

MUnited83

For you.
My summer holidays are coming to an end, New Zealander here, and I'm stuck on Ornstein and Smough, fuck me. I only have one humanity left, should I gap it back to the Depths to farm humanity or is there a viable place to get some humanity in Anor Londo? I do have the Ring that improves item discovery.

What's your Soul Level? You can put your summon sign on the bonfire where Solaire is sitting and wait to be summoned(you don't need to be human or have humanity(. You can then help someone go through Ornstein and Smough and get some experience on how to kill them and if you survive until the end you get humanity. And if it's a party of three it should be pretty easy to stay alive.

VinFTW

Typically your level in Souls games is referred to as 'Soul Level' and your amount of souls doesn't factor into online matchmaking. The only thing people need to know when trying to connect to one another is Soul Level.

I know how it works in DS2, but not in DS1 so I just put as much info in my post as possible :p Didn't know it was similar.

Thanks for the heads up

Tarkus

That's unfortunate. You could complete a co-op but then, you might end up dying a lot while trying and waste a bunch of time. I would go back to the Depths and wear your Gold ring for farming rats. Do the circuit just outside of the bonfire with 10 rats in total. Do it over and over while consuming the humanity that you gain until you have 10 soft for max item discovery. At that point, you'll be gaining like 1-4 each run. 25 in your inventory is probably enough so you don't have to go back for a while. Unfortunate point in the game for that to happen though.

Steel

Banned
Well, right now I'm using a Tin Banishment Catalyst as it can double as a melee weapon. Have any suggestions for a good DEX weapon?

Falchion. Swing set is horizontal(even better when 2-handing), so you can catch people to your sides and hit multiple enemies at once, modest reach, decent dex scaling with a bit of str and it's light as hell so you can slap on more armor.

Upgrade a katana of some sort(Washing pole is my favorite for range and a dash of str scaling, though Uchi is good) to use on the side, because when the hallways get narrow your falchion will bounce of the wall.

Jesus, Tomb Of Giants is a royal pain in my ass. I have the skull lantern, but I give up my shield in the process so I'm taking a shitload of hits. Considering upping my intelligence to 14 (and learning the light spell) so I can use my greatshield +10.

I also killed the jackass that pushed me off the ledge. Hopefully I'm not missing anything by killing him.

That jackass ends up
becoming a vendor
if you spare him.

Mistel

Banned
Have you not go to lost izlath yet? There's an item there that will help you in the Tomb of the giants at the and you just need to wear it that's it.

Moonkid

That's unfortunate. You could complete a co-op but then, you might end up dying a lot while trying and waste a bunch of time. I would go back to the Depths and wear your Gold ring for farming rats. Do the circuit just outside of the bonfire with 10 rats in total. Do it over and over while consuming the humanity that you gain until you have 10 soft for max item discovery. At that point, you'll be gaining like 1-4 each run. 25 in your inventory is probably enough so you don't have to go back for a while. Unfortunate point in the game for that to happen though.
I got carried away and ended up with 38 Humanity in my inventory lol. Half the time there were no drops which was annoying despite my Item Discovery being about 400.
What's your Soul Level? You can put your summon sign on the bonfire where Solaire is sitting and wait to be summoned(you don't need to be human or have humanity(. You can then help someone go through Ornstein and Smough and get some experience on how to kill them and if you survive until the end you get humanity. And if it's a party of three it should be pretty easy to stay alive.
I tried doing this but wasn't summoned, I'm just not patient enough haha. I think it may have been because I was playing in the morning which is probably when the people that play the game the most are asleep or sleeping in. Thanks for the advice though, I do want to try and get summoned again for practice.

Alright Souls-GAF, I'm looking for some guidance. Back when this originally came out, I played through to Anor Londo on PS3. I got sidetracked by life and never came back to it. I recently restarted it on PC and my build so far is

SL 41, Started Pyro
STR 24, Dex 15, rest dumped to vit/endurance.

The only item I've upgraded so far is the pyro glove. I'm at the boss in Sen's Fortress.

I'm looking for advice into what stats I should be investing in. Are faith builds recomended for first time through? Or have I gimped myself with the Pyro start? Right now I'm playing through mostly Melee, simply using the flame/bow when needed to snipe/thin groups. I've been using a combination of a heavy sword (where the 24 str came from), and the lightening spear.

Mistel

Banned
Alright Souls-GAF, I'm looking for some guidance. Back when this originally came out, I played through to Anor Londo on PS3. I got sidetracked by life and never came back to it. I recently restarted it on PC and my build so far is

SL 41, Started Pyro
STR 24, Dex 15, rest dumped to vit/endurance.

The only item I've upgraded so far is the pyro glove. I'm at the boss in Sen's Fortress.

I'm looking for advice into what stats I should be investing in. Are faith builds recomended for first time through? Or have I gimped myself with the Pyro start? Right now I'm playing through mostly Melee, simply using the flame/bow when needed to snipe/thin groups. I've been using a combination of a heavy sword (where the 24 str came from), and the lightening spear.
No the starting classes really don't matter that much you can do FTH build from a Pyro or you can do a mix of FTH/pyro. You just need to up your ATT & FTH if you want to go FTH and or FTH/Pyro. Or if you can prefer melee you can invest in STR along with END for STR builds or swap STR for DEX if you want to do a DEX build.

It depends what you want out of it to how you tailor your character.

Top Bottom