• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Arjen

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Where do I find the Black Knight Ultra? I'm assuming a Black Knight but I may have killed most of them.

I really like my Black Knight Greatsword but am considering trying the Greatsword Of Artorias. Just need to level up about 20 more times for the Intelligence and Faith requirements. :/

That sword is really underwhelming. Not worth the heavy stat investmen.

Mistel

Banned
Thank you guys for your suggestions. Where do I find the Black Knight Ultra? I'm assuming a Black Knight but I may have killed most of them.

I really like my Black Knight Greatsword but am considering trying the Greatsword Of Artorias. Just need to level up about 20 more times for the Intelligence and Faith requirements. :/
Their from the knight past the hellkite drake in the parish or the kiln if you've killed it already. There's the greataxe from the catacombs from the black knight there if you've not got that already. Unless you are wanting to spilt you points four ways it's not that worthy of investment at least to me shame though the moveset is nice.

Tarkus

I've been reading the bad boss designs thread and I keep seeing Ceaseless Discharge being brought up as tough. I've seen comments like that before and I just don't get it. I honestly thought he was one of the easiest bosses in the game even if I can't remember the specifics of the fight. I don't think I ever died to him. He must've been nerfed before I played the game or something.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Is there an important blacksmith after The Giant? I seem to be missing some options -- chaos, fire, and demon weapons, for one. Currently on The Duke Archives

Golgo 13

That sword is really underwhelming. Not worth the heavy stat investmen.
I'll take your word for it, but wouldn't an 18 Intelligence and Faith be nice for anyone, just from a spell/miracle perspective? I'm already considering dumping some points into intelligence for Magic Weapon.

I'll take your word for it, but wouldn't an 18 Intelligence and Faith be nice for anyone, just from a spell/miracle perspective? I'm already considering dumping some points into intelligence for Magic Weapon.

Some melee players put some int point for the magic weapons , yes it quite useful for PVP

Golgo 13

Just found/passed the catacombs for the first time at level 78. ;) Pinwheel died in 2 hits. I think I pretty much got everything, including the Skull Lantern. Dark Souls is so much different when there's little danger. Interesting experience.

Arjen

If you want a nice weapon buff you can go with INT, I think 15 is enough for great magic weapon, i wouldn't bother with faith for your build, the best spells require a heavier investment.

Booshka

If you want a nice weapon buff you can go with INT, I think 15 is enough for great magic weapon, i wouldn't bother with faith for your build, the best spells require a heavier investment.

I dunno man, Aural Decoy and Seek Guidance are must haves.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
SL65 atm and going for a STR/Faith build. Man, Claymore+10 and Lightning Spear is a really great combo (stabbing at foes from behind the shield). I'll probably only use the Claymore as soon as I got Sunlight Blade though. I have tried to find good places to summon people/or be summoned for sunlight medals for Great Lightning Spear, but they are just so rare....(playing on PC)

Currently in Anor Londo and about to take on Ornstein and Smough. Expecting to die...a lot.

Considering I've returned to this after clearing DS2 NG+7 it really makes me think how great the level design was in the first game. I mean, perhaps not all the levels themselves, but rather how they are so well interconnected. That seemed like an afterthought in DS2 as I'm sure a lot of people have brought up before.

Golgo 13

People seem to bag on Dark Souls 2 quite a bit. Funny that it got generally better reviews than Dark Souls, which is now considered by many to be one of the best games of all time. Just odd.

I think Dark Souls took a little bit of time to be fully uhm digested by most (myself included). By the time DkS2 rolled around reviewers were probably more adjusted to a DkS way of thinking and better able to appreciate its merits even though it is maybe not a better game than DkS1.

Sammyzuko

Neo Member
Dark Souls is the one that will be remembered as a classic because it had a more cohesive world. The level design, story, and combat were exceptional. Being able to warp from bonefire to bonefire really destroyed the feeling of immersion (which is why I don't care for it even in the first Dark Souls)
DS2 improved on a number of small things like freedom to roll in more directiongs, better menu layout, etc.

I go back and forth on which game I prefer the control of. DS2 is quick to respond to input and feels really good, although less realistic than DS. The slow, deliberate movement in DS requires well thought out decisions or you'll be punished.

Funny thing is I think I enjoy playing 2 more than 1.

Golgo 13

Cool, I'll download it tonight, seems like I'm in the perfect spot for it, too (since I'm at The Duke Archives and can get the pendant from thr golem while I'm there).

Quick question about Seath -- I'm finding that chopping his tail off is a pain in the ass, whereas just outright killing him would be so much easier -- is the moonlight Greatsword anything to write home about?

Cool, I'll download it tonight, seems like I'm in the perfect spot for it, too (since I'm at The Duke Archives and can get the pendant from thr golem while I'm there).

Quick question about Seath -- I'm finding that chopping his tail off is a pain in the ass, whereas just outright killing him would be so much easier -- is the moonlight Greatsword anything to write home about?
It's great if you're investing in INT, if not don't bother with it.

An easy way to get a good start on cutting his tail (besides having co-op phantoms to distract him) is to stand in front of the crystal and let him break it with his breath beam it will temporarily freeze him during which you can run around and cut his tail. And it has to be the tip, if you hit him closer to his butt it won't count for the cut.

The sword is great for Int players mostly not quite good for STR players

Doing a fun faith + strength playthrough, but I think I levelled too high to get 10 sunlight medals in a timely fashion (lvl 78).

I always screw one thing up every time lol. Sunlight blade on my +15 Man-Serpent Greatsword tho...

Doing a fun faith + strength playthrough, but I think I levelled too high to get 10 sunlight medals in a timely fashion (lvl 78).

I always screw one thing up every time lol. Sunlight blade on my +15 Man-Serpent Greatsword tho...
SL78 should be ok to be summoned for any of the post-O&S bosses and Artorias.

4 Kings might be your best bet.

Booshka

Well I feel like I will be helping a lot of people drain the water, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks for the advice

You cant help people drain the water, they have to do that solo. The area only becomes open to invasion/summons when the water is drained. I say that area because literally everyone will walk over it as they enter the New Londo Ruins. It's where I had my sign the majority of the time to help players, and where I see the most for co op. When you get summoned, just take the shortcut off to the right and drop down to where the Darkwraiths are; lead the way so your Host knows where to go and doesn't waste time fighting Ghosts.

gaugebozo

Dark Souls is the one that will be remembered as a classic because it had a more cohesive world. The level design, story, and combat were exceptional. Being able to warp from bonefire to bonefire really destroyed the feeling of immersion (which is why I don't care for it even in the first Dark Souls)
DS2 improved on a number of small things like freedom to roll in more directiongs, better menu layout, etc.

I go back and forth on which game I prefer the control of. DS2 is quick to respond to input and feels really good, although less realistic than DS. The slow, deliberate movement in DS requires well thought out decisions or you'll be punished.

Funny thing is I think I enjoy playing 2 more than 1.

Although the interconnected-ness of the world in DS is amazing, I think it leads to making it slightly more of a slog to play. A lot of time is spent running through the same areas, fighting or dodging enemies that haven't been threatening since 10% of the way through the game. It's an incredible experience the first time through, especially as things start to click, but leads to less replayability. Dark Souls 2 doesn't as frequently hit the highs that 1 does though.

You cant help people drain the water, they have to do that solo. The area only becomes open to invasion/summons when the water is drained. I say that area because literally everyone will walk over it as they enter the New Londo Ruins. It's where I had my sign the majority of the time to help players, and where I see the most for co op. When you get summoned, just take the shortcut off to the right and drop down to where the Darkwraiths are; lead the way so your Host knows where to go and doesn't waste time fighting Ghosts.

ahhh ok thanks. I'm currently waiting right there. and I'm actually SL 70, so not as bad as i thought.

I always leave my summon sign right at the start in the area with all the non-hostile hollows and Rickert - actually usually in front of the stone doorway arch is where you see signs often - people always want help with 4 Kings but not a lot of people hang about there so I find I usually get summoned very quickly (same goes for Nito and the second TotG bonfire).

SL70 should also be ok for Seath, the balcony bonfire is where everyone puts their signs.

IceMarker

People seem to bag on Dark Souls 2 quite a bit. Funny that it got generally better reviews than Dark Souls, which is now considered by many to be one of the best games of all time. Just odd.

After playing Dark Souls 1 for a month and a half straight (started playing for the first time in November 2014) with over 14 characters made, 260+ hours of time, and then beating Dark Souls II for the first time last night after 30 hours, my opinion on the two games is that they are just simply "different". Each game has it's strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day it's very difficult to call one better than the other for me. Although if I was trapped on a desert island with one, it'd have to be the first Dark Souls. Both are fantastic games in their own right and I wouldn't have them any other way!

Golgo 13

After playing Dark Souls 1 for a month and a half straight (started playing for the first time in November 2014) with over 14 characters made, 260+ hours of time, and then beating Dark Souls II for the first time last night after 30 hours, my opinion on the two games is that they are just simply "different". Each game has it's strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day it's very difficult to call one better than the other for me. Although if I was trapped on a desert island with one, it'd have to be the first Dark Souls. Both are fantastic games in their own right and I wouldn't have them any other way!
Damn dude, you are hardcore. Did you play Demon Souls? That is still my favourite Souls game, probably because I played it first, but I can acknowledge the excellence of Dark Souls -- I also can't believe how much harder it is than Demons Souls. My god. ;)

IceMarker

Damn dude, you are hardcore. Did you play Demon Souls? That is still my favourite Souls game, probably because I played it first, but I can acknowledge the excellence of Dark Souls -- I also can't believe how much harder it is than Demons Souls. My god. ;)

Never owned a PS3, so no didn't play it. I played Dark Souls first, so I have bias there as well.

xV8ihuu.png

The reason I've spent so much time other than how much I have enjoyed the game (and regret not playing it at the peak of it's popularity/player count) is I *love* character building, on Dark Souls alone I have a main (melee only) character, a Paladin archetype, a Pyromancer, a Sorcerer, a Necromancy archetype/Gravelord, a Darkwraith/PvP/Evil character, and a high STR Dragon-weapon character. I just love playing the game in all these different ways that give the Souls franchise another part in it's high re-playability. And yes, I am starting multiple characters of the same types on Dark Souls II as well. Hell, I even streamed a large portion of my time with the first game and streamed the last few hours of the second game! I have never had a greater feeling of accomplishment in beating a game then I did with Dark Souls.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good shit man!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You. I like you.

Golgo 13

Never owned a PS3, so no didn't play it. I played Dark Souls first, so I have bias there as well.

xV8ihuu.png

The reason I've spent so much time other than how much I have enjoyed the game (and regret not playing it at the peak of it's popularity/player count) is I *love* character building, on Dark Souls alone I have a main (melee only) character, a Paladin archetype, a Pyromancer, a Sorcerer, a Necromancy archetype/Gravelord, a Darkwraith/PvP/Evil character, and a high STR Dragon-weapon character. I just love playing the game in all these different ways that give the Souls franchise another part in it's high re-playability. And yes, I am starting multiple characters of the same types on Dark Souls II as well. Hell, I even streamed a large portion of my time with the first game and streamed the last few hours of the second game! I have never had a greater feeling of accomplishment in beating a game then I did with Dark Souls.

Nice, I'd imagine the different builds enable some unique playstyles. I may have to check out a different type when I finish up my first run. :)

So I played the Artorias DLC tonight for about 5 hours straight! It is really good.
Just spoke to Hawkeye Gough and saw him shoot down Kalameet. So awesome, that's one of my favorite moments in the game so far

Now I just have Kalameet then I'm done with the DLC, then I suppose I need to tackle New Londo Ruins next.

Golgo what kind of build are you doing? This isysecond faith build but first time getting wrath of the gods. By far my fav miracle. Last time I accidentally killed Rhea in the Catacombs (uppercutted her accidentally with black knight great sword R2, which although tragic was hilarious because it sent her flying into the air).

How important is DEX in an INT build? It supposedly makes your spells cast faster, but is it worth it?

It's more important in terms of what Melee weapon you want to use on the side than casting speed. You have to get to 45 DEX to really improve casting speed, and it's marginal.

A good DEX scaling weapon is a great accompaniment to an INT build both in terms of being fun and beating certain bosses. If recommend upgrading to +15 and using magic weapon.

How important is DEX in an INT build? It supposedly makes your spells cast faster, but is it worth it?

It only affects your casting speed mostly (and your rolls speed) but slightly, you can spend like 30 points and leave that stat if you want since you will probably use the crystal spears and the pyro spells are really fast.

Golgo 13

Golgo what kind of build are you doing? This isysecond faith build but first time getting wrath of the gods. By far my fav miracle. Last time I accidentally killed Rhea in the Catacombs (uppercutted her accidentally with black knight great sword R2, which although tragic was hilarious because it sent her flying into the air).

Running a tank build -- str 40, end 40, vit 30, Dex 19 (only enough to use my primary weapon, Black Knight Greatsword). Been messing around with other weapons but not really impressed -- dragon Greatsword + 4 (too slow, too heavy), Demon Greataxe + 10 (good, but also extremely slow and a stamina hog compared to BK Greatsword). I just want to hand out absurd melee damage. ;)

Booshka

Running a tank build -- str 40, end 40, vit 30, Dex 19 (only enough to use my primary weapon, Black Knight Greatsword). Been messing around with other weapons but not really impressed -- dragon Greatsword + 4 (too slow, too heavy), Demon Greataxe + 10 (good, but also extremely slow and a stamina hog compared to BK Greatsword). I just want to hand out absurd melee damage. ;)

Make a Crystal Demon Great Machete. Take it to +10, then Crystal with an Ember that you give to the Blacksmith in Anor Londo. That Demon Greataxe is perfect for Crystal as well. Seriously though, you need the Very Large Ember, make a +15 weapon with high STR scaling. Black Knight weapons are easy because they have high base damage, are simple to upgrade, and end up doing good damage at +5. But, if you take a normal weapon with good scaling to +15, it will usually beat out most of the +5 Twinkling Weapons.

Sammyzuko

Neo Member

I tried the Black Knight Greatsword last night....it's so slow, you really have to anticipate and hope your timing is right on. Black Knight Halberd is far superior imo because it's just as powerful, yet very quick and has a good move set.

Red Mage

It's more important in terms of what Melee weapon you want to use on the side than casting speed. You have to get to 45 DEX to really improve casting speed, and it's marginal.

A good DEX scaling weapon is a great accompaniment to an INT build both in terms of being fun and beating certain bosses. If recommend upgrading to +15 and using magic weapon.

Well, right now I'm using a Tin Banishment Catalyst as it can double as a melee weapon. Have any suggestions for a good DEX weapon?

Mistel

Banned
I just want to hand out absurd melee damage. ;)
If you want that you're going to use the crystal path with heavier weapons like the demon great axe they require more stamina but are worth the investment and are a lot of fun.
I tried the Black Knight Greatsword last night....it's so slow, you really have to anticipate and hope your timing is right on. Black Knight Halberd is far superior imo because it's just as powerful, yet very quick and has a good move set.
It like some of the other twinkling weapons are often outshined by normal weapons at maximum due to their scaling and damage. Not so much the black knight sword but black knight greatsword and the halberd certainly are at 40/40.

Top Bottom