• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Approx. 1 week ago, RIP, the right controller (Dark Souls 2).

Just 5 minutes ago, RIP, the bottom controller (Dark Souls 1).

rd3JOIv.jpg

It's funny. I've played over 1500 hours of Demon's Souls and only broken one controller for that game. Dark Souls 1 and 2 has accumulated a total of like 15 controllers in the span of 600-700 hours. What does that say about the Dark franchise?

I hope to God Bloodborne isn't a shitfest like both Dark.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's funny. I've played over 1500 hours of Demon's Souls and only broken one controller for that game. Dark Souls 1 and 2 has accumulated a total of like 15 controllers in the span of 600-700 hours. What does that say about the Dark franchise?

Absolutely nothing. It says a lot about you, though. It's pretty amazing that you so utterly lack in self-awareness to see that, as well.

Arjen

rd3JOIv.jpg

Someone needs to work on his anger issues.

MUnited83

For you.

rd3JOIv.jpg

Breaking 15 controllers?

If anything that says a crapload about you more than it does about the games. I'd be scared to play anything with you, holy shit. My PS3 controller has like 7 or 8 years of use and it still works fine even after thousands and thousands of gameplay with various games.

MUnited83

For you.
What's the best SL to get summoned to help someone in the O&S fight? I'm currently at SL 30 but I get summoned like once every other hour.

What's the best SL to get summoned to help someone in the O&S fight? I'm currently at SL 30 but I get summoned like once every other hour.

50-ish seems to be the sweet spot.

That said, I'm having alot of trouble getting any sort of online play today. Installed PvP Watch Dog for the online node monitoring feature, and alot of times I get 0 nodes even after waiting for 30+ minutes. Sometimes I'll get around 10, but there's still 0 invasions, 0 signs on the ground, etc. I know there should be alot of activity in the area. Anyone experiencing this?

I think it says you played the shit out of those games?

I've had 3 PS3 pads, one is totally fucked, one I took apart and fixed a button problem but now it's a bit creaky, and the last one the left stick likes to wander off on it's own and make me fall off ledges and lose millions of souls. I blame all the faults on playing these games for the hundreds or thousands of hours that I have done, not the games themselves - you could've played any game for hundreds of hours and your pad would be fucked, they don't last forever unfortunately.

edit - wait 15 controllers? Are you the Hulk?! :p

50-ish seems to be the sweet spot.

That said, I'm having alot of trouble getting any sort of online play today. Installed PvP Watch Dog for the online node monitoring feature, and alot of times I get 0 nodes even after waiting for 30+ minutes. Sometimes I'll get around 10, but there's still 0 invasions, 0 signs on the ground, etc. I know there should be alot of activity in the area. Anyone experiencing this?
Did you turn on increased node count? If you did turn that off. It kills online activity for me

All those controllers, my god... Why do you keep playing the games? I mean, you must be getting some enjoyment out of it if you've put in ~600 hours between both DkS games and yet you're demolishing hundreds of dollars of controllers.

Did you turn on increased node count? If you did turn that off. It kills online activity for me

I didn't. Tried again a bit ago and even though I was connected to 15 nodes I got 1 summon and 0 invasions over the course of ~45 minutes. Annoying. Some days the activity is insane, some days are like this. Wonder if it has anything to do with # of players currently in-game.

2AdEPT

Sorry, if this is the wrong spot, but I tried loading Dark souls since the last patch (this was AFTER I finally got the migration to work and IT DID WORK, with all my dsfix settings tweaked a week ago) but now I dont thinkt he patch downloaded right. When I check the integrity, it says I'm missing a file so I wait for it to update....sort of hangs after 100% but not sure...then if I click on launch it asks me if I will allow valve to modify my computer, click yes.....endless loop...doesnt even catch. THis is with the beta. I turn off the beta it loads, although it is GFWL and says I may have corrupted characters etc. I am hoping I dont lose the characters and figure that if I just try to do the process over it will be ok...no dice.

Does anyone think there is a way to fix this without losing the characters? I realize that de-installing and re0installing will likley fix this but only will do this as a last result as I had a full ten characters I would rather keep! I have gamsave manager, but is it likely that it would work when the saves were originally saved whe it was GFWL?

F**k its annoying that steam has no support and forwards me to the namco bandai support site...WTF are they goign to do? Probabaly jsut tell me not to use dsfix.
edit:
confirmed: my characters are all dead...I think all I had to do was NOT turn off the beta, and NOT go into GFWL after migration was complete, and NOT get the imposssible to leave prompt to remove corrupted characters int eh GFWL...what BS. Hope this helps someone else preserve theri characters. Turns out it didnt like the last DSFIx (2.23 or whatever) and likely all I had to do was get dsiable 2.23 temporarily and then get 2.24. Didint know there was a newer update.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Tarkus

Yes that it and i have my equipment load under 50%
Like Storm said, you should probably upgrade your weapons. The Black Knight Sword is a pretty good weapon for PvE. You can start at the bonfire room and kill all the Silver Knights and Sentinels up to the O&S fog gate. Run back to the bonfire and start over, stopping at the blacksmith to buy twinkling titanite and upgrading from time to time. You'll have a maxed out sword and armor in no time.

Like Storm said, you should probably upgrade your weapons. The Black Knight Sword is a pretty good weapon for PvE. You can start at the bonfire room and kill all the Silver Knights and Sentinels up to the O&S fog gate. Run back to the bonfire and start over, stopping at the blacksmith to buy twinkling titanite and upgrading from time to time. You'll have a maxed out sword and armor in no time.

Thanks and will do!

Yoshichan

Just got myself another dual shock. Umbasa.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
First Dark Souls play through -- Just smashed Smough And Ornstein. I haven't been down below the graveyard yet -- should that be the next place I go? I also haven't investigated the painting in Anor Londo because I felt that it would take me to another area -- and I wanted to finish Anor Londo.

I also didn't kill that jackass who killed the firekeepeer in Firelink -- I hear he's in Anor Londo as well. I am rambling here, just curious if I missed something along the way.

Also, yes, the game is great.

Booshka

First Dark Souls play through -- Just smashed Smough And Ornstein. I haven't been down below the graveyard yet -- should that be the next place I go? I also haven't investigated the painting in Anor Londo because I felt that it would take me to another area -- and I wanted to finish Anor Londo.

I also didn't kill that jackass who killed the firekeepeer in Firelink -- I hear he's in Anor Londo as well. I am rambling here, just curious if I missed something along the way.

If you have killed S&O then you can start to wander around and explore, you can almost always warp out to another bonfire if you can't hang in an area. Graveyard is fine, and where it leads to. Painting is something you should maybe wait on, work on upgrading your gear a bit more, and buy some consumables, moss, homeward bones, arrows if you need them.

Go back and kill the guy that killed your Firekeeper, warp to Chamber of Princess then backtrack through Anor Londo until you can use Black Eye Orb to invade him. Get Firelink Shrine back and go from there.

Tarkus

What have you done with the Lordvessel? Are you in to PvP?

Golgo 13

So, all I've done with the Lord Vessel is warp around. I also visited Frampt, and he told me about some guys I need to kill. Tried to go to the painted world, It's been fine so far, I just run from the Toxic guys ;)

Not into PVP yet, no. Been invaded twice and both times I was not at the TV (AFK if you will). Lol.

Golgo 13

If you haven't placed the Vessel with Frampt, just know he's not your only option.

Already gave it to Frampt, yeah. Didn't know there were other options. Plus, it just seemed like talking to Frampt gave him the Lordvessel. He's freaky btw. Like a giant undead Chihuahua.

Tarkus

Already gave it to Frampt, yeah. Didn't know there were other options. Plus, it just seemed like talking to Frampt gave him the Lordvessel. He's freaky btw. Like a giant undead Chihuahua.
Don't worry about it. If you do another playthrough just remember that there's another option. If you're a mage, go ahead and knock out the Duke's Archives, provided you've freed our friend with a big hat. If you're a DEX build, search the Catacombs. Souls should be in abundance at this point, so you should start experimenting with weapons and maxing them out. Try PvP.

Booshka

Don't worry about it. If you do another playthrough just remember that there's another option. If you're a mage, go ahead and knock out the Duke's Archives, provided you've freed our friend with a big hat. If you're a DEX build, search the Catacombs. Souls should be in abundance at this point, so you should start experimenting with weapons and maxing them out. Try PvP.

Best Scythe is at the bottom of Sen's, Great Scythe gets you Backstabbed and parried by good players.

Tarkus

Best Scythe is at the bottom of Sen's, Great Scythe gets you Backstabbed and parried by good players.
If ya think so. I don't. Both are fine weapons and the Great Scythe has better scaling. It dead angles really well. An experienced player will not get backstabbed easily and parry fisherman are easy to spot and easy to kill with jumping attacks etc. Parry skills work both ways.

Golgo 13

Cool. I'm a melee build with 40 Endurance, 30 STR, 25 VIT.

I'm currently wielding a Black Knight Greatsword +5 and either Sun Armor set +7 or Havels armor, depending on the situation. I also have a +10 Claymore, but none of the options to ascend it sound appealing right now (Artrorias Greatsword is the only one I remember).

Any suggestions on how I should proceed, weapon and armor - wise?

Tarkus

I'm currently wielding a Black Knight Greatsword +5 and either Sun Armor set +7 or Havels armor, depending on the situation. I also have a +10 Claymore, but none of the options to ascend it sound appealing right now (Artrorias Greatsword is the only one I remember).

You could ascend the Claymore to +15. Checkout it's moveset and see if you like it. It all comes down to how you like the moveset of weapons. Try out the Zweihander if you like ultras.

Mistel

Banned

If you raise your STR to 32 you could give the black knight ultra a go. There's a lot of choice it depends what you're after.

Golgo 13

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Where do I find the Black Knight Ultra? I'm assuming a Black Knight but I may have killed most of them.

I really like my Black Knight Greatsword but am considering trying the Greatsword Of Artorias. Just need to level up about 20 more times for the Intelligence and Faith requirements. :/

Top Bottom