• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Yeah. I will be replaying the game after I beat it with Solaire alive. I've gone in mostly blind and I didn't realize until later that NPCs weren't just fluff, or that I didn't have to kill them once I pissed them off.

lol I see. I was actually scared of the NPCs mostly because I feared that they may kill me easily and that they may be useful for something even though they weren't blacksmiths, etc.

But as far as the Bell Gargoyles, I tried summoning Lautrec after I rescued him, but I had little humanity left because I didn't understand how that worked at the time either. They wrecked me, and I lost the ability to summon for a while.

I'm playing a Wanderer with high DEX. I got a good shield: I think Andre sells a good shield that can work, but I used Solaire's shield. I wouldn't recommend that, though, so I'd say one of the two best shields Andre sells work good. I leveled the shields to +5, then I took on the boss. When blocking, side swings wouldn't do any damage to me, and I could easily dodge the downward swings. I kept hitting from the side until the second one came down. Then I got nice and clear of their fire breath. I got them into the middle of the roof area and circled them so that I was never at their front, and went in for side strikes. Baiting them into breathing fire was a good tactic and I got lucky that they never blocked me off by breathing in hugely different directions. I also managed to get the Gargoyle Tail weapon and the Gargoyle Helm drops while I was at it. I managed to do it with a +5 rapier, but could've used Drake's Sword too, I guess. I just don't want to get reliant on it since I can't level it.

Originally the biggest problem I had was the fire, but once I got clear of that and got to where they couldn't trap me with it, the fight was made.

That sounds pretty awesome. Looks like you really put in work and destroyed that boss. I love how there are so many and nice to see you got those cool drops - I only got the Gargoyle Helm but for me it's unnecessary since I'm playing as Sorcerer with light clothes for fast and quite movement.

lol I see. I was actually scared of the NPCs mostly because I feared that they may kill me easily and that they may be useful for something even though they weren't blacksmiths, etc.

They are. They can.
Solaire wasn't really an easy battle. I thought I accomplished something cool when I killed him. Turns out I fucked future parts of the game up for myself. Oh well.

They are. They can.
Solaire wasn't really an easy battle. I thought I accomplished something cool when I killed him. Turns out I fucked future parts of the game up for myself. Oh well.

Oh yeah, actually I did mischievously
hit that smartass in the Firelink Shrine, thinking that if I did die, everything would return to normal. But no :( They keep on attacking you every time you restart from the bonfire. And the guy was really tough! It was a total fluke since he fell off a cliff and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

I killed that guy in the barrell
in the depths

Wanted to free him, but didn't know I was only allowed to roll against the barrell for doing that, not striking the barrell with my weapon.

He then started to attack me, and one thing led to another... Damn

Seems he was the dude that was supposed to sell my pyromancy stuff...

I think "Even if you accidently aggro an NPC don't kill them you can pay to de-aggro them" should be added to that 20 top tips image!

+1

I think "Even if you accidently aggro an NPC don't kill them as you can pay to de-aggro them" should be added to that 20 top tips image!

Oh yeah, actually I did mischievously
hit that smartass in the Firelink Shrine, thinking that if I did die, everything would return to normal. But no :( They keep on attacking you every time you restart from the bonfire. And the guy was really tough! It was a total fluke since he fell off a cliff and I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
The Crestfallen Warrior is a nice easy early source of a 1000 souls. Kill him immediately when land at Firelink Shrine from the Asylum unless you want his flavour text and hints at what do!

Kazuhira

What´s your favourite place to farm souls? i need to upgrade the ascended pyro glove before
killing bed of chaos
and i want to do it as fast as possible.

^ Co-op. Depending on what your level is will determine what bosses to put your summon sign down for. Also before you get the souls from a boss kill (a few seconds after it dies) you have enough time to do a quick swap out of souls-increasing gear like the mimic headpiece and the silver serpent ring, they give a nice boost for farming.

That's cool but cruel....!
It's going to happen sooner or later when he goes hollow!

I think "Even if you accidently aggro an NPC don't kill them as you can pay to de-aggro them" should be added to that 20 top tips image!

If you aggro an NPC,
you can go to the priest at the top of the Undead Parish belltower, and pay him to absolve you of all sins, resetting NPCs to peaceful.

If you aggro an NPC,
you can go to the priest at the top of the Undead Parish belltower, and pay him to absolve you of all sins, resetting NPCs to peaceful.
That's my point, that just that should be added to that top tips image because so many new players always say "I had to kill _____ because I accidently hit them"

20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg

That's my point, that just that should be added to that top tips image because so many new players always say "I had to kill _____ because I accidently hit them"

Yup, I agree, but I guess it wasn't originally added to try to avoid spoilers and maximize the amount of things players figure out on their own.

maybe a dumb question, but:

The bigger weapons stay as slow as they are, don't they?

I mean, there is no way upgrading them to be faster, i guess?

I have never used big weapons in Demon's, and my main weapon in Dark Souls is the Halbard (which I upgraded up to +8 ), but I really like the Sever giving me back HP. I am just not sure if it's worth it, since I often get mauled before I can even connect a strike against a foe with it...

gogosox82

maybe a dumb question, but:

The bigger weapons stay as slow as they are, don't they?

I mean, there is no way upgrading them to be faster, i guess?

I have never used big weapons in Demon's, and my main weapon in Dark Souls is the Halbard (which I upgraded up to +8 ), but I really like the Sever giving me back HP. I am just not sure if it's worth it, since I often get mauled before I can even connect a strike against a foe with it...

It won't swing faster so you either have to tank through hits with poise or learn enemy attacks well enough to know when you'll have an opening and take it.

Red Mage

So, after clearing Andor Londo and the Painted World, I cleared out the Demon Ruins, but before I continue onto Lost Izilath, should I use the shortcut for clearing it, or no? I already opened it to save
Solaire
, but not sure if I'd miss anything awesome by using that route.

If you aggro an NPC,

However, do it ASAP, because it's incredibly expensive, and the cost is multiplied by your Soul Level.

So, after clearing Andor Londo and the Painted World, I cleared out the Demon Ruins, but before I continue onto Lost Izilath, should I use the shortcut for clearing it, or no? I already opened it to save
Solaire
, but not sure if I'd miss anything awesome by using that route.
You miss
two bosses, a shortcut back to the Fair Lady bonfire, the Demon Catalyst, the lava ring, and that also means you can't explore the lavafield - although there's nothing there except a few consumable souls/items.

Red Mage

You miss
two bosses, a shortcut back to the Fair Lady bonfire, the Demon Catalyst, the lava ring, and that also means you can't explore the lavafield - although there's nothing there except a few consumable souls/items.

Oh, I killed those bosses. I just didn't know if there was anything in the lavafield worth exploring. Sorry for not being clear.

jb1234

Had a rough time with Kalameet but he eventually went down like the bitch he is. Compared to him, the final boss was cake (mostly). Amazing, amazing game. Have to decide whether to go back to Demons or onward to DS2.

addyb

Well after spending the last 5 weeks on bloodborne and DSII on ps4 I've finished the latter but wanted more so thought hey I've not played DS for years.

So last night bought a steam key for £8 and installed and slapped some mods on that were recommended (dsfix, hd textures etc) any other must have mods on pc?

So far it looks and runs great on my lappy (Alienware 14) had issues with my 360 pad. Start button wouldn't work but it does on my other games. So for now I'm using the xb1 pad. I heard the DS4 also works. What do I need to get this working? And does it have to be permanently connected via usb?

Anyway the game itself. Felt weird cutting through the opening stage of the game as I've always traditionally struggled lol. I guess coming straight from DSII dlc it is a lot easier at the start.

Really love these games though. Definitely my favourite series over 35 years of gaming. These threads are fantastic as well. I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences and getting tips and helping others when I can. I'm looking forward to my play through and encountering some old foes.

So to summarise. It's great to be back GAF and praise the sun!!!

addyb

Ok capra done thank ye gods. Now I can't remember what route I took last time I played this. I seem to recall doing darkroot before blighttown. Does is it really matter? Just have it in my head I faced Sif before queelag.

mfaex

Doesn't matter significantly. Quelaag's easier. Most probably do Quelaag first.

Story spoilers:
Sif drops a ring you need to kill a boss you can access earlier than "intended" if you so choose. Quelaag guards the 2nd bell.

Red Mage

Having just beat the Bed of Chaos, allow me to say that I *hate* puzzle bosses. They're almost never creative, and tend to emphasis the weaker elements of an otherwise fine game. In this case, that From should never, ever make a platformer. Bleh.

Randam

started up the pc version yesterday.
everything was fine.

then I installed the dsfix and now my gamepad doesn't work anymore.
deleted dsfix, but still.
works fine in all other games. :/

Adam Blue

I'm now playign through Dark Souls since Bloodborne became the greatest game I ever played. It's slower...but I still get that rush in boss fast so I'll keep playing.

I'm in the Depths and got cursed. Now I'm trying to fight the Depths boss with half health. I think I can do it, just need to avoid the one-hit kills. I don't think there's an easy way to get uncursed from where I am..

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think there's an easy way to get uncursed from where I am..
You can, don't know about easy. How to get uncursed:
go back to Oswald of Carim, the NPC in the tower after the Belfry Gargoyles. He sells purging stones for 3k a piece. You can also buy them from the zombie lady in the shortcut between Firelink and the Depths, but she sells them at 6K each.

Don't know where to begin... I'm so mad right now :p

Well after seeing all this Bloodborne praise and remembering DS 1 and 2 and how much everyone seemed to love them I finally decided to try them out.

I had a DS1 Steam copy that I haven't even started so I took my 360 controller and started playing. About 3 hours later I'm up to
Taurus Demon
and he is kicking my butt. I'm so stressed out and angry I can't even explain it. I tried going up the stairs and dropping on him but missed. Thing is I was already so angry that I just wanted to go back and start again but that means making mistakes so I die like 10 times to normal enemies and so on and so forth.

How do you people deal with the stress and anger? I've never felt this way about a game, not in a good way.

I'm a warrior and lvl 10 I think using sword and shield but failing miserably

Well after seeing all this Bloodborne praise and remembering DS 1 and 2 and how much everyone seemed to love them I finally decided to try them out.

I had a DS1 Steam copy that I haven't even started so I took my 360 controller and started playing. About 3 hours later I'm up to
Taurus Demon
and he is kicking my butt. I'm so stressed out and angry I can't even explain it. I tried going up the stairs and dropping on him but missed. Thing is I was already so angry that I just wanted to go back and start again but that means making mistakes so I die like 10 times to normal enemies and so on and so forth.

How do you people deal with the stress and anger? I've never felt this way about a game, not in a good way.

If you're feeling that much stress and anger, take a break and put the game down for a couple of days. If you still feel this way when you play the game again, maybe Dark Souls isn't the game for you.

A big thing about dying is that you lose your Souls, which is your XP /currency combined into one unit. I'd say to not worry about that, since you can grind for souls by the Undead Burg bonfire for a while. For every run you fail, try to think about what you could have done better, and try to remember that in the next run. Just treat runs as learning experiences. Dying is a big part of the game, but if you are patient and observant, you will die less often and succeed. Pay attention to enemy attack patterns, keep your shield up when you are not attacking, watch your stamina since it governs every action you can take (put your shield down to make stamina regen faster), unequip some armor to be under 50% equip weight so you can roll a bit faster, and don't mash the attack button since weapon swings have an animation that cannot be canceled out of.

Taurus Demon

At this point people just run past all the enemies. You know the way to the boss so just hoof it. Drop off some armour so that your equipment burden is below 25% which will give you the quickest run and roll.

You could also upgrade your weapon (yes even this early). The hollows with armour (crossbow, spears and sword/shield types) have a chance of dropping titanite shards you can use to upgrade your weapon.
Blacksmith location:
Take the elevator below Firelink Shrine down and enter New Londo Ruins, right at the start down a dead-end flight of stairs is the games first blacksmith who can upgrade your weapon using the titanite shards

Don't get angry, think about how you died and how to avoid it next time. This is key to Souls, deaths aren't punishment, they're a learning opportunity. Watch your stamina (green bar) when it's low if you block an attack it will stun you leaving you wide open. Always better to evade than defend in Dark Souls, which is where the quick roll comes in handy, the invincibility frames will become your best line of defense as you play on.

The plunging attack on the Taurus Demon takes a big slice of HP off, but he's very easy to bait attacks. Stand within range so he does a swing and as he winds up move back, then run in get a couple of slashes - DON'T BE GREEDY! - rinse and repeat.

Good luck, you got this. Soon you will be laughing at how easy the Taurus Demon is
because even more horrible monsters with even bigger weapons will be smashing your face in the dirt! :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thanks! But I actually just killed him on my fourth try.

He seemed hard, but I think I was very lucky as for some reason he would get out of the lava, and stay right on the entrance spamming his slow punch attack. I of course, stood between his legs (more or less) and just hacked away. Took a ton of damage and had to use all five flasks, but he fell first!

Ok finally back to this after almost a year. Dont know what happened, but its time to complete this - so went on to Lost Izalith today where I think I cleared most stuff. Used a guide to continue Siegmayer and Soltaire. I have a feeling the possibility of loosing them was what made me quit last time. Anyways, amazing game still, just like last year!

I'm in the Depths and got cursed. Now I'm trying to fight the Depths boss with half health. I think I can do it, just need to avoid the one-hit kills. I don't think there's an easy way to get uncursed from where I am..

Do you have any items that can remove the curse - I think you can buy them from that lady in the tunnel near Firelink? It's best to tackle the Depths with the Cursebite ring.

But I'm not sure how you'll get back there from the Depths.

Morfeo

Finally beat the Bed of Chaos after like 3 hours. One of the most disappointing bosses in the game so far :(

Anyways, thinking about doing the Painted World of Ariamis now togheter with the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants is the final worlds I have to beat. Well, I guess there are some NPC's I still could help, and I have also not beat Kalameet and Manus, but think I am waiting with that.

Would you say Vit is less important than END?
Only slightly. You want a reasonable amount of most of your stats.

End has the benefit of allowing for heavier armor while staying in the same weight encumbrance which helps with defense, bundled with cranking up the actual endurance bar, but you still want Vit for the simple benefit of higher HP totally matters.

Short answer, they're both pretty important.

Red Mage

Taurus Demon

This is why I am playing DS and Samurai Warriors 4 in tandem. It's like a palate cleanser.

Morfeo

Taurus Demon

Haha, I dont get this at all. I do feel stress - but also imense enjoyment when I overcome the odds which is what makes playing this game so incredibly fun. Just continue and you will eventually "get it" as well!

Morfeo

Just completed the Painted World which was fun, but maybe a bit uninspiring. Didnt die here once, and the boss was really easy just to spam with regular attacks. Anyways, guess its on to the Catacombs and the Tomb of Giants which is the final part of the game I need to beat!

Would you say Vit is less important than END?

Negative.

Only slightly. You want a reasonable amount of most of your stats.

Surprised to see this. I barely ever upgrade Vit but always pump a ton of points into endurance in these games. All about that equip load/stamina.

Just completed the Painted World which was fun, but maybe a bit uninspiring. Didnt die here once, and the boss was really easy just to spam with regular attacks. Anyways, guess its on to the Catacombs and the Tomb of Giants which is the final part of the game I need to beat!

Painted World has such awesome, tight level design though. The boss is a bit more interesting if you go for the tail.

Neoweee

EDIT: whoops, wrong thread.

Endurance and Vitality are roughly equally important in Dark Souls 1. You get a lot of benefit from both. I still give a slight edge to Vitality for first-time players, as it gives you a larger margin of error while learning boss fights. Returning players that understand enemies, fights, rolls, and attack animations get more benefit from Endurance, which biases the conversation a bit.

I think as a new player you want both, maybe even more VIT if you're being cautious (not expending as much stamina) and trying to survive. Once you know what you're doing VIT is the last thing I'd drop points in to.

Surprised to see this. I barely ever upgrade Vit but always pump a ton of points into endurance in these games. All about that equip load/stamina.
On a returning playthrough I'm content to leave Vit sorta low, like around 20, until 100ish levels. Lately on replays I crank End up to like, 82 by the end, just to
Ninja Flip
with medium or heavy armor.

Vit is really a safety net by design, but that matters a good bit your first time through.

On a returning playthrough I'm content to leave Vit sorta low, like around 20, until 100ish levels. Lately on replays I crank End up to like, 82 by the end, just to
Ninja Flip
with medium or heavy armor.

Vit is really a safety net by design, but that matters a good bit your first time through.

Hell yes. I went to extraordinary lengths on my most recent playthrough to be able to ninja flip while wearing full Elite Kngiht + Zweihander, which is perhaps not the best set or anything, but just looks so good.

But yeah you guys are right, for a first time through Vit is more important. I think I had pretty high Vit when I first played Demon's Souls.

Morfeo

Painted World has such awesome, tight level design though. The boss is a bit more interesting if you go for the tail.

Probably true!

Anyways, I have now completed the Catacombs, and is in the Tomb of Giants overlooking what seems like Lost Izalith. Is that correct? Or is it another ancient city I see?

Top Bottom