• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Holmes

Thanks for the tip. I brought him down! I got close one time, I cut his tail off and his HP was at half, and I thought "the hard part is over." Then I read that his head is weak point, so I attacked it when it was down... then it decides to charge at me and makes quick work of me.

But yeah, going slow and patient won the battle for me. He hits like a truck, but leaves himself open a lot, so I just went in when I thought it was safe, dual wielding my Drake Sword, and slowly chopped away at him.

Thanks for the tip. I brought him down! I got close one time, I cut his tail off and his HP was at half, and I thought "the hard part is over." Then I read that his head is weak point, so I attacked it when it was down... then it decides to charge at me and makes quick work of me.

But yeah, going slow and patient won the battle for me. He hits like a truck, but leaves himself open a lot, so I just went in when I thought it was safe, dual wielding my Drake Sword, and slowly chopped away at him.
That Drake Sword will have seen you ok so far, but you're getting to the point where it's going to be more of a hinderance than help. Before moving on to the next area, it's worth taking the large ember you got in the Depths back to Andre and upgrading a weapon to at least +6 (don't rest at any bonfires on the way and then just use a homeward bone to get back to the Depths) - Only Andre can take a weapon past +5 once you give him the large ember but then you can take it from 6+ to 10+ yourself at a bonfire or with any other blacksmith.

Farming or buying a few purple and blooming purple moss clumps will also come in handy, as would the Spider Shield if you found it in the Depths.

Tarkus

I just invaded somebody and they gave me all of their stuff: multiple slabs of every color, +15 weapons, armors, rings, arrows, items...everything

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Blighttown via the Depths/front door is probably the most annoying area of the game. Blighttown via the master key back door is cake. The first half of that area is probably a little easier to clear/loot if you go at it from the back entrance too, but not much. The toxic blowdart guys might be the most annoying enemies in the game.

Holmes

yeah looks like they are, just finished the boss from Blightown which was surprisingly easy and now I'm in Sen's Fortress
I had a tough time until I realized that the boss quivers a bit before using her annoying powerful attack that killed me instantaneously.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I'm getting close to finishing my SL1 run. I have Manus, Kalameet and Gywn to go. It has been a great experience. I even became a Darkwraith and invaded people, I'm a terrible person!
I was worried going into the run that bosses would one shot me and it would be frustrating but I didn't die at all until Artorias.

I really recommend it if you've completed the game before. It's great fun.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I asked in the ds2 thread cause i didnt think this was active but;

i just started the first dark souls as a wanderer class.

What are the skills to focus on leveling? My research has told me VIT, DEX, and to a lesser degree END and STR are the best? Any other advice?

I asked in the ds2 thread cause i didnt think this was active but;

i just started the first dark souls as a wanderer class.

What are the skills to focus on leveling? My research has told me VIT, DEX, and to a lesser degree END and STR are the best? Any other advice?
Class is unimportant really, only governs your stater weapon/armour, all of which can be found as loot.

VIT, END are always worth leveling (up to the soft caps at least), avoid leveling resistance. After that, find a weapon type you like and look at what stats it scales with (it tells you the letter grading on the weapon's info in the menu) - then level those stats to take advantage of the weapon's damage bonus from the stat scaling.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Class is unimportant really, only governs your stater weapon/armour, all of which can be found as loot.

VIT, END are always worth leveling (up to the soft caps at least), avoid leveling resistance. After that, find a weapon type you like and look at what stats it scales with (it tells you the letter grading on the weapon's info in the menu) - then level those stats to take advantage of the weapon's damage bonus from the stat scaling.

Thanks!

Tarkus

Yeah, well... my Uchigatana is +10, so... how do you like that
That's the little area I was talking when you asked earlier if Blighttown was the most annoying area. Booshka just makes it looks easy while also playing nice tunes in the background. It's really a cunt section.

Man these stupid lizard dudes in Sens Fortress are kicking my ass. If I have space I seem to do ok but in some of the small areas they get me. I can parry then sometimes but I usually fuck that up

Booshka

Man these stupid lizard dudes in Sens Fortress are kicking my ass. If I have space I seem to do ok but in some of the small areas they get me. I can parry then sometimes but I usually fuck that up

Manage their aggro so you are only fighting one at a time, they are susceptible to thrust damage, bleed, and are pretty easy to stagger, especially if you two hand your weapon. If you get the timing down right you can parry and backstab them repeatedly.

Coreda

Anyone know if it's possible to map the in-game 'Gestures' to the DS4 controller on the PC version using a wrapper like DS4Windows? Tilt functionality is available using that tool but only in one direction afaik, so was wondering if someone had found a way.

Holmes

I beat Ornstein and Smough. Killed Ornstein first, because everywhere I read told me that's the best course of action. Took me a few tries, my Uchigatana was just not doing enough damage, so I reinforced my Falchion to +10, then modified it into Quelaag's Furysword. Then I was able to defeat them on my first try with the sword.

And now I can warp between bonfires. I am truly blessed.

Booshka

I beat Ornstein and Smough. Killed Ornstein first, because everywhere I read told me that's the best course of action. Took me a few tries, my Uchigatana was just not doing enough damage, so I reinforced my Falchion to +10, then modified it into Quelaag's Furysword. Then I was able to defeat them on my first try with the sword.

And now I can warp between bonfires. I am truly blessed.

I suggest leveling Dexterity so that your Uchigatana and Furysword get some bonus damage from stat scaling. Wait until you find the Very Large Ember so you can take that Uchi to +11 and onward to +15. With Dexterity scaling it will begin to do a ton of damage, and it can bleed.

Furysword also scales with Humanity in your Counter on the Top Left of your screen. It scales up to 10, and it doesn't matter if you are Human or Hollow Form. It will add a good amount of Chaos Fire Damage.

aravuus

Has anyone managed to get the hyper aggressive enemies mod/cheatengine script to work with the new non-GFWL version? Someone posted an updated script on the steam forums a couple of days ago but it only makes the enemies seek me out, they won't attack at all.

Has anyone managed to get the hyper aggressive enemies mod/cheatengine script to work with the new non-GFWL version? Someone posted an updated script on the steam forums a couple of days ago but it only makes the enemies seek me out, they won't attack at all.

It's been broken since the most recent update on Steam, unfortunately. I wanted to do another NG+7 Gravelord run with the Aggression Mod but I can only get the Gravelord phantoms to work. In fact, the Aggression Mod seems to be working in the opposite way, making enemies retreat away from me until they fall off cliffs.

aravuus

It's been broken since the most recent update on Steam, unfortunately. I wanted to do another NG+7 Gravelord run with the Aggression Mod but I can only get the Gravelord phantoms to work. In fact, the Aggression Mod seems to be working in the opposite way, making enemies retreat away from me until they fall off cliffs.

That's a damn shame. No way to revert back to an older patch, I suppose?

Hopefully someone manages to update the mod, regular old DkS is a bit boring after experiencing the aggro mod insanity.

First attempt against Four Kings... died in 10 seconds.
Gotta run all the way back there from firelink shrine :(
It'll wait until tomorrow I guess.
Do you know the 'shortcut' of dropping down where the first two ghosts are? It's not much but it makes the trip back as quick as possible.

4 Kings are one of my favourite boss fights, but it's a tough one at first. You can either tank their hits by wearing heavy armour (havel's, stone etc) or go the opposite and dodge their attacks, which is easy and very rewarding - once you know their attack patterns. Either way this fight is a DPS race, you want to be slugging them hard and as fast as possible so you are only ever faced with one king at a time. Any stamina regen gear or items you have also comes in handy. As does Power Within if you're using pyromancy.

They're weak to fire especially iirc, so some charcoal resin on your weapon will help, or pyromancy. Also making use of the very large ember that you should've found by now in New Londo goes without saying, weapon should be maxed or very close for the rest of the game at this point.

^ The Paladin armor set is also amazing if you want some heavy armor with good protection and poise without the insane weight of Havel's or other HA sets.

Plus it looks really freaking cool.

Sullichin

Went to play this yesterday and online on PC seemed pretty dead :( Tried doing coop and invading at level 42 and 70 and no luck. Oh well.

A new playthrough is in order. It's time.

LobosJR is messing around with SweetFX color settings and had blues and oranges switched or something. Estus and fire were blue and the sky was soft orange color. It looked pretty neat, but I have no idea how you would do that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Enemies dont scale in any of the souls games right? The whole point is the effort spent into leveling will always be worthwhile etc etc.

Im having that feel where you spend 50$ during steam summer sale only to play the game you got for 4.99 a year ago. This game is really addicting.

Holmes

I think I got lucky by killing Sif on my first try. He hits like a truck, but getting some good shots in between his legs goes a long way.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Up until very recently Sif was one of my hardest fights. I knew how I was supposed to fight him (up in his grill) but it never worked out for me in practice. He was a thorn in my side for my entire playthru and again in NG+ but then my last few fights against him I've bodied the shit out of him and I'm still not sure what I do differently.

Enemies dont scale in any of the souls games right? The whole point is the effort spent into leveling will always be worthwhile etc etc.

Im having that feel where you spend 50$ during steam summer sale only to play the game you got for 4.99 a year ago. This game is really addicting.
That's right enemies don't scale. Bosses do get more HP if you summon co-op players/NPCs.

Do you know the 'shortcut' of dropping down where the first two ghosts are? It's not much but it makes the trip back as quick as possible.

4 Kings are one of my favourite boss fights, but it's a tough one at first. You can either tank their hits by wearing heavy armour (havel's, stone etc) or go the opposite and dodge their attacks, which is easy and very rewarding - once you know their attack patterns. Either way this fight is a DPS race, you want to be slugging them hard and as fast as possible so you are only ever faced with one king at a time. Any stamina regen gear or items you have also comes in handy. As does Power Within if you're using pyromancy.

They're weak to fire especially iirc, so some charcoal resin on your weapon will help, or pyromancy. Also making use of the very large ember that you should've found by now in New Londo goes without saying, weapon should be maxed or very close for the rest of the game at this point.
Didn't know about the shortcut, will look around and try to find it later. I also am far from having my weapon fully upgraded. The one I use at the moment is +3 (can't remember the name, big sword you get when you join the covenant in the Tomb of Giants).

Also, I have no idea how to use charcoal resin for instance :D

Didn't know about the shortcut, will look around and try to find it later. I also am far from having my weapon fully upgraded. The one I use at the moment is +3 (can't remember the name, big sword you get when you join the covenant in the Tomb of Giants).

Also, I have no idea how to use charcoal resin for instance :D
OK, I can't remember what that sword upgrades with, demon titanite I guess. +3 with special weapons like this that upgrade with twinkling or demon titanite max out at +5, so that's not quite as low as it first sounded (since normal weapons max out at +15).

Resins are temporary buffs to your weapon to add elemental damage (fire, lightning or poison). I doubt you can use them on Nito's sword, but not sure. You can buy them from various vendors any way (undead female merchant in aquaduct sells fire/poison), the mushroom enemies in the forest also drop lightning resin. Just use them like any other item.

'Shortcut' in New Londo is just a simple drop down where the first two ghosts are - don't go up the stairs, just to the right/behind them is a pot with another 2 transient curses in, from there you can see the lower part of the zone - the courtyard in between the two houses that have the big black slime monsters that don't respawn. Drop down there and it cuts out all of the area above with the ghosts and you can just run straight to the fog door.

Someone made a Limbo mod for Dark Souls. There's no color,HUD, menus, and lighting is determined by draw distance.

Actual gameplay starts here:https://youtu.be/BH-QmpBUUsk?t=241

0Wt7gHJ.png

xf8BI5z.png

qoxnesW.png

A video on how to set it up if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh1AYgJKbHk

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fwiw, it's not really a "limbo mod". It's the depth buffer of the game. Reshade has a setting to display the depth buffer so you can tweak SSAO or Depth of Field to look good.

This is just a byproduct of that, though it does offer a cool visual.

Fwiw, it's not really a "limbo mod". It's the depth buffer of the game. Reshade has a setting to display the depth buffer so you can tweak SSAO or Depth of Field to look good.

This is just a byproduct of that, though it does offer a cool visual.

Yeah that's just what the guy who made the video called it. It's just tweaking some settings on reshade like you said.

Top Bottom