• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

eyeless

am i nuts or is there no better light armor than the tattered cloth manchette that i started with, it annoys me cause it looks fucking terrible but there doesn't seem to be anything better

in demon's souls i just wore the thief armor even though i wasn't thief class cause it looked badass but in dark souls i feel more vulnerable so i'm trying to wear actually statistically good armor, so unfortunately i'm stuck in these rags, also i want to stay under 25% of my equip load

i wish i could wear the thief set or the shadow set cause i like to look like a thief/ninja in games but their stats are shit compared to the potato sack i started with, ffff

i just beat the
iron golem
, if anyone has any suggestions i would be pleased thx

Did you pick up the Dingy set? I'm not up on stats, I pay more attention to fashion souls in general, but it is one of the best light armour sets.

If you've already killed Lautrec (noooooo!) then you missed your chance until NG+

valouris

Don't know if I should post this here, seemed like the best place to.

So I had played Dark Souls back before the transfer to Steamworks, I had reached the final boss but I never beat him, and I also never got to finish the DLC content.

I now want to get back in the game and re-play it:

1) I have the save files from last time, is there a way to use them now?

2) I want to start a new run, but since I really enjoyed and truly got the game's experience the first time around, I would like to do a calculated, efficient run and
save Solaire and talk to Queelag's sister
. My character started as a wanderer and I mostly ended up playing with a 1h sword and shield. Much of the game's mechanics flew right over my head especially in the beginning, and I must have wasted tons of level-ups and resources. What do you think I should play for this second run, wanting to min-max some stuff (but not go into a total spree).

1) I don't know I haven't played the PC version since they removed GFWL, but 2) Just dump points into VIT, END, and pick a weapon you like and also level up the stats it scales with.

Since you've already played board and sword, you could go for a magic build or magic-hybrid. My favourite playstyle is magic/rapier. Or you could roleplay as a pyromancer thief, so using pyro and a dagger. Magic builds become very OP really quite quickly, but that doesn't mean it has to be a cakewalk - if you have a catalyst/talisman/pyro glove in the left hand and a weapon in your right hand without a shield you're relying on dodging and distance as your main defense.

Or you can go the exact opposite and do a hulking great tank - dump everything into END for more equip load and go heavy armour and big STR-scaling weapons - big damage, again bosses melt under your attacks just like they do with magic once you stack all the magic-boosting gear (bellowing ring, dusk crown, best catalysts, red tear stone ring and/or Power Within).

There's so many character builds and playstyles, get the biggest bang for your buck/time by playing a style completely different to your first run through.

Beta Stage

Neo Member
I beat this for the first time two days ago and I have to say that it is an awesome game. I am playing a NG+ right now and it is infinitley easier than my first playthrough right now. I am kind of at an impass though. I'm not sure whether or not I should go to the Depths now, to get the Large Ember, or if I should just skip it for now and go immediatley to Lower Blightown by way of the Firelink shortcut. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I beat this for the first time two days ago and I have to say that it is an awesome game. I am playing a NG+ right now and it is infinitley easier than my first playthrough right now. I am kind of at an impass though. I'm not sure whether or not I should go to the Depths now, to get the Large Ember, or if I should just skip it for now and go immediatley to Lower Blightown by way of the Firelink shortcut. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Do you need the ember? I assume you already have a +15 weapon so unless you'r upgrading a new weapon leave it for later, if at all.

Half the time I grab the ember by jumping over the handrail from above, plunging attack on the butcher, grab the ember, drop down the shortcut to above the giant rat and then homebone out, or use the water slide to go direct to Gaping Dragon - Depths done in 30 seconds!

Completely unrelated edit so as not to double post:

Has anyone ever seen Pinwheel summon (what I presume is) maximum dopplegangers at once? I'm messing on a new bow-only character and as per dropped down to let Leeroy take him out first thing. I get Leeroy down first, then jump down myself - Immediately run up to Pinwheel, he summons one, then immediately summons again but now the room is full of Pinwheels (I'd say 8-10, probably 8 + original). In all my time playing this game, I've never seen him summon so many at once, I almost shat myself!

Tarkus

Fast roll, 2 hand weapon, learn the pattern. A buff is helpful. You need high damage per second.

I would solo the Four Kings. The HP increase they get with a phantom isn't worth it.

If you're still having trouble, try the Power Within pyromancy.

Fast roll, 2 hand weapon, learn the pattern. A buff is helpful. You need high damage per second.

I would solo the Four Kings. The HP increase they get with a phantom isn't worth it.

Did they change that fight btw? When I first did that encounter on 360 years ago I remember having more than one king engage me at the same time. On PC a couple of months ago it seemed like only one was engaging me at a time.

Akainu

i'm not having trouble i'd just rather not use it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did they change that fight btw? When I first did that encounter on 360 years ago I remember having more than one king engage me at the same time. On PC a couple of months ago it seemed like only one was engaging me at a time.

If you take long enough against the current king the next one will come. Basically, if you kill them fast enough you only face one at a time.

Akainu

if you are going to call a boss the four kings there should only be 4.

to this day i keep getting that gravelord message but never see the affects of it.

I just started up a new game in this after completing Demon's Souls. I've played Dark Souls before, but I didn't complete it. This time I might - although I remember it being a lot longer than Demon's Souls. That might be the case or I am just imagining it because of the different structures of the two games.

Anyway! As I was playing Demon's Souls I kept thinking 'man this is a lot better than Dark Souls' but after 2 hours of Dark Souls I am not so sure!

The big difference in fun so far is Demon's Souls multiplayer on PS3 seems to be totally dead. I ran around human ALOT and NEVER got invaded or found any summon signs (well I might have seen a sign one time, but I didn't want to summon cos it was early in the game and I thought there would be plenty).

I just played through the Undead Burg and I already got invaded! And it was great! I'm definitely going to be spending a lot more time human in this than I did the first time.

Started playing again a few days ago, hadn't touched the game for almost a year and a half (never beat it btw).

Loving it once again. Reached Anor Londo, finished the Painting of Ar... whatever the name was. Then back to Anor Londo where I get invasions every 5 minutes. Of course, lost a few dozen thousand souls in the process.

Wondering how I can craft a divine weapon though.

Pachimari

What resolution should I set the game to in the DSfix file?

It is currently 1920x1080 but I want if higher so it'll downsample and I can get some good AA going on.

The big difference in fun so far is Demon's Souls multiplayer on PS3 seems to be totally dead. I ran around human ALOT and NEVER got invaded or found any summon signs (well I might have seen a sign one time, but I didn't want to summon cos it was early in the game and I thought there would be plenty).

I just played through the Undead Burg and I already got invaded! And it was great! I'm definitely going to be spending a lot more time human in this than I did the first time.
PS3 is still surprisingly active throughout most areas, the last couple of runs I've done were very low level and I still saw summon signs and got summoned myself in Anor Londo, Dukes etc. I think most of the people still playing are probably vets.

Started playing again a few days ago, hadn't touched the game for almost a year and a half (never beat it btw).

Loving it once again. Reached Anor Londo, finished the Painting of Ar... whatever the name was. Then back to Anor Londo where I get invasions every 5 minutes. Of course, lost a few dozen thousand souls in the process.

Wondering how I can craft a divine weapon though.
The divine ember is got after defeating the Moonlight Butterfly in Darkroot Garden and then taking it to Andre. If it's only for the skellies in the Catacombs you might just want to downgrade the Occult club you find for free in Anor Londo to Divine+5, or just take out the Necromancers which shouldn't be any problem coming to the Catacombs this late in the game.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered DS1 Design Works, it seemed to get somewhat low in numbers on Amazon.de. Hopefully giving me some good tattoo ideas :x

The divine ember is got after defeating the Moonlight Butterfly in Darkroot Garden and then taking it to Andre. If it's only for the skellies in the Catacombs you might just want to downgrade the Occult club you find for free in Anor Londo to Divine+5, or just take out the Necromancers which shouldn't be any problem coming to the Catacombs this late in the game.

Got rid of them using a Silver Knight Spear. I had two of them in my inventory, turns out they have the divine attribute :D

Anyway, finished the catacombs, and died 4 times trying to make it to the tombs of giants... and that as while being cautious and trying not to fall.

I'll try again :(

edit: regarding the divine ember, I thinking I gave it to him already. I guess it's just that my weapon (raw gargoyle's halberd +5) can't be upgraded anymore.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I received a gifted copy thanks to a wonderful GAFer today and I'm having a little issue with performance. I'm using DSFix and I'm getting dips, for example on the first "boss" it dropped as low as 49 with particle effects on the screen. The game is very modest graphically so I'd expect 60 without dips with my i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz / GTX 970.

My config:

# You can configure DSfix by editing this file
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by the program and contain descriptions of the options

###############################################################################
# Graphics Options

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 0
presentHeight 0

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 4

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Ambient Occlusion

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 3

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
# 3 = lowest quality, lowest impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Determine the type of AO used
# "VSSAO" = Volumetric SSAO (default, only option pre-1.9)
# "HBAO" = Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion
# "SCAO" = VSSAO + HBAO
# "VSSAO2" = Volumetric SSAO with more samples (tweaked by Asmodean)
# VSSAO and HBAO types have a slightly different effect. and similar performance
# SCAO combines both, with a higher performance impact
# VSSAO2 is generally more accurate, but also requires more performance
ssaoType VSSAO

############# Depth of field

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 810 = DoF pyramid starts at 1440x810
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160
# higher values will decrease performance
# do NOT set this to the same value as your vertical rendering resolution!
dofOverrideResolution 540

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# Depth of field additional blur
# allows you to use high DoF resolutions and still get the originally intended effect
# suggested values:
# o (off) at default DoF resolution
# 0 or 1 at 540 DoF resolution
# 1 or 2 above that
# 3 or 4 at 2160 DoF resolution (if you're running a 680+)
dofBlurAmount 1

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 60

# FPS threshold
# DSfix will dynamically disable AA if your framerate drops below this value
# and re-enable it once it has normalized (with a bit of hysteresis thresholding)
FPSthreshold 28

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
# if in doubt, leave this at 0
filteringOverride 0

# HUD options

# Enable HUD modifications
# 0 = off (default) - none of the options below will do anything!
# 1 = on
enableHudMod 0

# Remove the weapon icons from the HUD
# (you can see which weapons you have equipped from your character model)
enableMinimalHud 1

# Scale down HuD, examples:
# 1.0 = original scale
# 0.75 = 75% of the original size
hudScaleFactor 0.75

# Set opacity for different elements of the HUD
# 1.0 = fully opaque
# 0.0 = fully transparent
# Top left: health bars, stamina bar, humanity counter, status indicators
hudTopLeftOpacity 0.8f
# Bottom left: item indicators & counts
hudBottomLeftOpacity 0.75f
# Bottom right: soul count
hudBottomRightOpacity 0.5f

# Window & Mouse Cursor Options

# borderless fullscreen mode
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
captureCursor 0

# Save Game Backup Options

# enables save game backups
# 0 = no backups
# 1 = backups enabled
# backups are stored in the save folder, as "[timestamp]_[original name].bak"
enableBackups 0

# backup interval in seconds (1500 = 25 minutes)
# (minimum setting 600)
backupInterval 1500

# maximum amount of backups, older ones will be deleted
maxBackups 10

# Texture Override Options

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 0

# enables texture override
# textures in "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].png" will replace the corresponding originals
# will cause a small slowdown during texture loading!
enableTextureOverride 0

# Other Options

# skip the intro logos
# this should now be slightly more stable, but should still be
# the first thing to disable in case you experience any problems
skipIntro 1

# change the screenshot directory
# default: . (current directory)
# example: C:\Users\Peter\Pictures
# directory must exist!
screenshotDir .

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English, fr = French, it = Italian, de = German, es = Spanish
# ko = Korean, zh-tw = Chinese, pl = Polish, ru = Russian
# this does not work in Windows XP!
overrideLanguage none

# Dinput dll chaining
# if you want to use another dinput8.dll wrapper together
# with DSfix, rename it (e.g. "dinputwrapper.dll") and put the new name here
dinput8dllWrapper none
# dsmfix.dll

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

# The settings below are not yet ready to use!!

# You can only set either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed (or neither)
# 0 = off, 1 = on
forceWindowed 0
forceFullscreen 0

# turn on/off Vsync
enableVsync 0
# adjust display refresh rate in fullscreen mode - this is NOT linked to FPS!
fullscreenHz 60

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I received a gifted copy thanks to a wonderful GAFer today and I'm having a little issue with performance. I'm using DSFix and I'm getting dips, for example on the first "boss" it dropped as low as 49 with particle effects on the screen. The game is very modest graphically so I'd expect 60 without dips with my i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz / GTX 970.

I'm not an expert at this, but I think this game is very specifically built to be run at 30 fps. I tried to unlock the FPS to play at 60 and while it looked amazing in action, my game glitched and bugged out so badly that I had to go back to locked at 30. Some of the bugs I got included things like your jump distance being shorter, not being able to stand up after resting at a bonfire, and the game completely locking up in certain areas. I'd say if the biggest issue you're having is frame dips you're in pretty good shape. Wait until you get to areas like Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. That's where most people have problems.

It hurt to have to play a modern PC game on a decent computer at 30 FPS, but this port specifically is notoriously awful and DSFix can only do so much.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Seems better after turning AA to high instead of ultra.

Struggling ATM, summoning phantom keeps failing whatever that is, guess it's co-op? And I'm on the first boss but I don't feel ready for a boss. Plus I think I started as the wrong class, I want to be more nimble which is dex I guess but I have more strength base.

Edit: First boss down!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Seems better after turning AA to high instead of ultra.

Struggling ATM, summoning phantom keeps failing whatever that is, guess it's co-op? And I'm on the first boss but I don't feel ready for a boss. Plus I think I started as the wrong class, I want to be more nimble which is dex I guess but I have more strength base.

Edit: First boss down!

How nimble your character is is only determined by what percentage of your equip load your equipment puts you at. Keep your gear under 25% of your total equip load to keep your roll speed the fastest. If your armor and weapons are too heavy you will "fat roll."

STR and DEX determines what types of weapons you will be using. STR weapons are heavier swords and clubs. DEX are like spears, rapiers, bows, etc. It's just a preference which way you want to build.

Your class pick just gives you a set of starting gear and a head start down a build path, but your character is malleable.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
First impressions aren't great so don't hate me boys. I have put 6 hours into it and there are more negatives than positives for me. I really hate the humanity system, dying once and not being able to summon phantoms really sucks. The weight limit system as well, it's just annoying more than anything, oh you want to use your new armour that's way better? Well you're going to move at a snails pace if you do, enjoy! The combat also feels clunky after playing Bloodborne, you can tell this was one of their first efforts. Another thing is the lack of fast travel, I couldn't believe it when I found out it's not in the game until much later on and even then it's not a proper fast travel. I knew DS2 had it, and I knew BB had it so I never for a second thought it would be missing from DS1. Back tracking and travelling on foot is not fun. Another major negative is the quality of the port, even with DSFix there are lots of issues from massive frame rate dips to speed issues.

I will try it out again tomorrow to see if something clicks, purely out of respect for " OverBlood 3" who was kind enough to gift me the game. But I have to admit I am struggling to enjoy it right now. I honestly think Bloodborne has spoiled me, it's just so good it highlights all the faults and missing features of Dark Souls so they shine even more brightly.

I think you actually need a super duper overclocked mega CPU for consistently high frame rates in Dark Souls. But even with the right hardware I don't think a locked 60 is very likely though.

Holmes

Hi everyone! First time player here. I'm playing the PS3 version of the game. Haven't gotten too far yet, only reached the Undead Burg. I actually accidentally wandered into the New Londo Ruins, and that didn't really work out well. Reading St3v3's post has me a little worried, because I haven't really gotten far enough to encounter those problems. But I'll persevere. I'm looking forward to dying more.

LiQuid!

Hi everyone! First time player here. I'm playing the PS3 version of the game. Haven't gotten too far yet, only reached the Undead Burg. I actually accidentally wandered into the New Londo Ruins, and that didn't really work out well. Reading St3v3's post has me a little worried, because I haven't really gotten far enough to encounter those problems. But I'll persevere. I'm looking forward to dying more.

You're totally ready for New Londo Ruins
suicide runs!
. There's so much good loot in there!

I will try it out again tomorrow to see if something clicks, purely out of respect for " OverBlood 3" who was kind enough to gift me the game. But I have to admit I am struggling to enjoy it right now. I honestly think Bloodborne has spoiled me
I think you're right. A big part of the fun of DS1 early on is specifically discovering the shortcuts back to earlier areas. That could never really happen with fast travel. Even though Yarnham is a tightly woven world, that level design ethos was built on from DS1 especially.

Stick with it. All the Souls games are special and remember if BB is your first the other three are kind of separate beasts since they're sword and board medieval fantasy. BB's combat was specifically about speeding up the winning formula and getting away from shields - but when you have a huge dragon with it's belly fully of teeth about to stomp on you whilst a sorcerer from above buffs it with magic you might be grateful for that shield! ;p

Looks like there was at one point going to be a respec option in DS1: http://imgur.com/a/Ekd9y#3

tumblr_inline_nqn5hrpc5B1syrfhm_500.jpg

Found in the debug menu by way of illusory wall / reddit

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think you're right. A big part of the fun of DS1 early on is specifically discovering the shortcuts back to earlier areas. That could never really happen with fast travel. Even though Yarnham is a tightly woven world, that level design ethos was built on from DS1 especially.

Stick with it. All the Souls games are special and remember if BB is your first the other three are kind of separate beasts since they're sword and board medieval fantasy. BB's combat was specifically about speeding up the winning formula and getting away from shields - but when you have a huge dragon with it's belly fully of teeth about to stomp on you whilst a sorcerer from above buffs it with magic you might be grateful for that shield! ;p

I think I'm done, the humanity system can fuck off. I have 0 humanity, so I can't summon the NPC to fight the boss with me, so I can't progress. I don't enjoy the game enough to farm humanity (although I did kill the trees leading up to the boss about 5x with no result). It's just not what I was expecting at all. Bloodborne was hard but still fun at its core, Dark Souls is just annoying more than anything.

Booshka

I think I'm done, the humanity system can fuck off. I have 0 humanity, so I can't summon the NPC to fight the boss with me, so I can't progress. I don't enjoy the game enough to farm humanity (although I did kill the trees leading up to the boss about 5x with no result). It's just not what I was expecting at all. Bloodborne was hard but still fun at its core, Dark Souls is just annoying more than anything.

You can solo bosses though, farm rats for humanity. Put your white summon sign down while you do it. If you beat a boss in another player's world, you get a good amount of Souls and Humanity.

Summoning makes the Boss have much more HP, so try it solo a few times. Use Gold Pine Resin if you havent, don't give up so easily.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You can solo bosses though, farm rats for humanity. Put your white summon sign down while you do it. If you beat a boss in another player's world, you get a good amount of Souls and Humanity.

Summoning makes the Boss have much more HP, so try it solo a few times. Use Gold Pine Resin if you havent, don't give up so easily.

I might try joining someone else's game, just so I can see what co-op is like if nothing else.

I might try joining someone else's game, just so I can see what co-op is like if nothing else.
That's a good idea, it also gives you practice at fighting a boss so you're more prepared when you want to take it on in your own world.

Are you upgrading your weapon? You can use the souls you earn from co-op to buy titanite shards and upgrade your weapon or buy resins etc at merchants (you soon find one who sells these kind of consumables),

LiQuid!

Dark Souls 1 was the first one of these games for me and I played the entire thing 100% solo, not even summoning NPCs. Why even play these games if you want bots or other people to do all the work for you? Every single boss in this game can be beaten by a naked character with a half way decent weapon. What boss are you stuck on that the lack of a poor AI companion is halting your advancement?

Dude, don't give up. When I first got the game in 2011, I played it for a few weeks and felt it was too hard/unforgiving. The flood of 2011 came and washed away almost everything I owned and I gave up on this game and abandoned it for years. I gave it another shot this last year and it's turned out to be my favorite game of all time, and yes I have been playing bloodborne and it's great too, but not as great as this. At least not yet, I'm only up to the cleric beast so I know I have a ways to go. Seriously, I am still playing Dark Souls after having beaten it multiple times. So much fun. The bosses are fantastic and the areas are so varied and gorgeous. There are still times I want to snap my controller in half. Fighting the four kings as a level 1 was insane. Keep trying it though, don't give up. You don't need other people to help you. If you get a fire keeper soul, look up a youtube video about the glitch (as a last resort) to keep you from giving up. Don't give up.

Holmes

I tried two suicide runs at New Londo Ruins. First one, I got the Fire Seeker Soul. Second run, I got cornered by like 10 ghosts and got stomped on.

So what's the best way to go about armor? I can tell pretty quickly that just choosing the armor with the best physical defence will end up being really heavy and might screw me over.

Booshka

I tried two suicide runs at New Londo Ruins. First one, I got the Fire Seeker Soul. Second run, I got cornered by like 10 ghosts and got stomped on.

So what's the best way to go about armor? I can tell pretty quickly that just choosing the armor with the best physical defence will end up being really heavy and might screw me over.

Just use light robes and cloaks for your torso, then some medium or light gauntlets/leggings for the rest. Better to stay light and mobile, upgrading normal light armors. Focus on upgrading your weapons and a good shield. Most light armors upgrade very well and will provide you plenty of defenses, not just physical, but elemental and status effects. Mix and match, wear something you think looks cool.

Level Vitality and Endurance to keep yourself alive.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

So, I just want to talk about something here.

Dark Souls was my first Souls games, and I was awful! Like most beginners, I died a good amount. But, I didn't do any co-op at all until I got to Anor Londo, and I assure you all the bosses are doable solo. I was afraid of going human because I didn't want to get invaded, so my first ~30 hours were totally solo. You seem to be putting a really high importance on humanity and multiplayer, when it truly isn't an essential component to the game. I beat the game with something like 40 humanity items just stowed away in the my inventory, and that was after learning I could use them as healing items if I run out of estus. It seems like because you're placing so much importance on being human, and thus getting humanity, and as a result farming humanity, its making the game way less fun for you. I'd recommend you try just going it alone. A great part of the experience for me was that dreadful feeling that you have overwhelming odds ahead of you and only yourself to depend on. You get better, or you don't progress. You learn your own ways to best handle every situation, and you handle it without any help.

It's obviously not the only way to play, but you should try ignoring humanity for a while and just going for it. I guarantee you can kill whatever boss you're facing. And if you've already played Bloodborne, you've got a leg up in that you have some sense of familiarity with the gameplay. You can do it bud.

LiQuid!

The soul is the best reason to go down there early, so you're good now.

As for armor, it's largely preference. I usually go for something I like the look of. I never really go too heavy, but I guess there are some people that like tanking up and fat rolling. To me that seems like a terrible way to play, but I see more casual players doing it constantly (like all the guys at Giant Bomb that play these) maybe it makes them feel better to be able to take more hits, but I find being able to move a lot more important. There are exceptions however, so it's not a bad idea to keep a heavy set of armor on you for bosses that require tank and spank
specifically 4 kings

If you want a recommendation, the Wanderer starting set is a really good balance of protection and low weight. It actually shits on most sets in its weight class, and you should be able to fast roll with it if your weapons aren't too bulky. If you didn't start as a wanderer
you can find the set if you brave and fully explore the Blighttown area

Ugh, Gaping Dragon keeps stomping me to the curb.
Don't get too greedy, get in your hits and then retreat. Staying to his side or back is safest - once you've lopped off his tail. Also his head is his weak spot and nine times out of ten he will put it down for you as his first attack after entering the fog gate - get in 3/4 good two-handed hits in and then run around to his backside.

Just stay away from his walking animation which hits like a truck and is his most dangerous attack imo especially if you haven't been leveling VIT.

Top Bottom