• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Stuck on Artorias, just can't make it past his buff ability. It's a really fun fight so far, rolling never felt so satisfying.

Don't let him buff, after a certain amount of damage, he will retreat to buff. When he does, rush toward him with your weapon two-handed and stagger him out of it. A couple 2 handed R1's should stagger him out of his buff animation and allow you to manage the fight much easier.

One R2 Zwei hit (2 handing) will stagger him out of the buff.

Basically this, with one caveat; if he's buffing all the way across the arena, don't run up and try to stagger him if you're not sure you can make it. Getting caught in the attack is worse than just letting him buff. And if he does successfully buff, don't panic. Your fight strategy can pretty much remain the same.

ElTopo

Banned
If you have a good 100% physical defense great shield you can block everything Artorias does. I've done it with the Artorias Great Shield and one other great shield and had no real problem.

Woffls

Welp. I'm on NG++ and I was strolling through Sen's fortress with 9 soft humanity and 200k souls - I made the mistake of facing the Iron Golem. Not because it's difficult, but I forgot that you could get thrown off the edge and have your blood stain out of reach. This happened on my first attempt and I lost everything. :( This game man. Sometimes it's just straight up bullshit.

[edit] aaanddd there goes another 200k to the Anor Londo archers. Uggghhhhhh.

So after beating Bloodborne a few times I started up a new DS1 run on PC last week, I played it a bunch on 360 but I never got to see the dlc content or the painted world.

Anyways I reached the painted world last night and I really regret missing out on it initially. Such a cool area with great exploration.

Red Mage

So, weird question. I have a Repetitive Stress Injury between my thumb and index finger, which means I cannot grip a controller for about six+ weeks. -_-;

I was thinking of buying an arcade stick if I can find one cheap enough. Anyone know how hard it is to play Dark Souls with an arcade stick?

ElTopo

Banned
So, weird question. I have a Repetitive Stress Injury between my thumb and index finger, which means I cannot grip a controller for about six+ weeks. -_-;

I was thinking of buying an arcade stick if I can find one cheap enough. Anyone know how hard it is to play Dark Souls with an arcade stick?

It would be impossibly difficult to play a Souls game on an Arcade Stick. You may as well be using a guitar hero controller.

I assume you can't use a mouse otherwise I would suggest using a mouse/keyboard with DSMousefix.

Red Mage

It would be impossibly difficult to play a Souls game on an Arcade Stick. You may as well be using a guitar hero controller.

I assume you can't use a mouse otherwise I would suggest using a mouse/keyboard with DSMousefix.

PS3, and even if I could, I have to use my left hand for the mouse at work due to the RSI. (Speaking of controllers, there's a youtube video of some dude who uses a rockband controller to beat the game. o_O;)

Ah well, just have to wait then.

MUnited83

For you.
Basically this, with one caveat; if he's buffing all the way across the arena, don't run up and try to stagger him if you're not sure you can make it. Getting caught in the attack is worse than just letting him buff. And if he does successfully buff, don't panic. Your fight strategy can pretty much remain the same.
Also, if you can aim quick enough, you can headshot him with a bow and he will stagger and not buff.

Serpico99

Question

I just got the lord vessel and killed Sif. I looked at guides and they say new Londo is the next place to go. Is this true? If so how do I deal with these ghosts? I have a claymore +8 and the zeighander +10. Is it worth cursing one of these weapons to beat this area?

Question

I just got the lord vessel and killed Sif. I looked at guides and they say new Londo is the next place to go. Is this true? If so how do I deal with these ghosts? I have a claymore +8 and the zeighander +10. Is it worth cursing one of these weapons to beat this area?

Just use transient curse items. You'll meet a NPC awhile into that area who sells more too.

You don't have to go to New Londo, though. You have four objectives you need to get through to fill the lordvessel.

Quick question for the whole community. Anyone here have any skill with music/song-writing? I had written some lyrics for a song about the Souls Series a while back but never really planned on doing anything with them. I considered sending it in to VaatiVidya for use with his SoulSongs series, but so far it is just the lyrics and a vague tune. I had gotten in contact with him and he estimated it would cost about $800 to have it someone digitally create music to accompany the words. Anyone feel like trying to come up actual music to go with it? As I have no musical talent whatsoever, I'm kind of stuck with lyrics that will now never become a full song at this rate. I basically just want to see someone with actual talent do something with it at this rate rather than letting it collect dust.

Also, if you can aim quick enough, you can headshot him with a bow and he will stagger and not buff.
Didn't know you could headshot him with a bow during the buff, sounds like fun - I feel a bow only run coming on!

Question

You can tackle New Londo any time, although you need to kill Sif to defeat that areas boss (as the guides probably say). Like RecursiveFault says, you can do any of the four post-Lord Vessel objectives in any order, but it's worth doing New Londo asap because of the important loot there. Even if you don't kill the boss right away it's worth exploring fully now and 'unlocking' the shortcut to the boss for use later.

Don't worry about cursing - you pick 4 up as treasures very early, a couple of merchants sell them and the drop rate is very high from the ghosts themselves. They also last a decent amount of time, 5 minutes - when you know the area it's possible to clear out every single ghost on a single transient curse with time to spare.

Killed Manus a few days ago, such a fun fight. It's a very Bloodborne like fight as well because of his mobility and the frequency of his attacks.

Overall I thought the bosses that artorias of the abyss added were amazing but the new areas themselves are kinda "meh". Oolacille township was the only area I thought was kind of cool, royal woods are too similar to darkroot forest.

Amaris is still my favorite area in the game by far. Although Duke's Archives is a close second.

Killed Manus a few days ago, such a fun fight. It's a very Bloodborne like fight as well because of his mobility and the frequency of his attacks.

Overall I thought the bosses that artorias of the abyss added were amazing but the new areas themselves are kinda "meh". Oolacille township was the only area I thought was kind of cool, royal woods are too similar to darkroot forest.

Amaris is still my favorite area in the game by far. Although Duke's Archives is a close second.

Yes, Manus is by far the most agressive boss for me in the Dark Souls series and well Darkroot forest is actually royal woods in the present timeline. And yes Oolacile feels lacking more depth and size in its own structure, maybe exploring the castle and more dungeons size would make the DLC a blast for exploring

Yes, Manus is by far the most agressive boss for me in the Dark Souls series and well Darkroot forest is actually royal woods in the present timeline. And yes Oolacile feels lacking more depth and size in its own structure, maybe exploring the castle and more dungeons size would make the DLC a blast for exploring

What I found amazing though was how they stuck a Bloodborne reference in the Artorias dlc with the Chester NPC years before Bloodborne was even released.

The Darkroot/Royal Woods connection makes sense, I wondered why Alvina was in the Abyss.

Socreges

Banned
So I'm struggling to decide/discover which bosses are intimidating because I'm simply too weak to take them and which are intimidating because I simply don't know how to take them down. I'm guessing this is a common problem? I've covered a large portion of the world (I think) and am at lvl 29, but I've only defeated a single f'ing boss!

I think I'm just chicken shit. Strangely, I've had no problem taking out all sorts of knights, giants, etc. But bosses are uniquely discouraging....

So I'm struggling to decide/discover which bosses are intimidating because I'm simply too weak to take them and which are intimidating because I simply don't know how to take them down. I'm guessing this is a common problem? I've covered a large portion of the world (I think) and am at lvl 29, but I've only defeated a single f'ing boss!

I think I'm just chicken shit. Strangely, I've had no problem taking out all sorts of knights, giants, etc. But bosses are uniquely discouraging....
If you've only defeated one boss you have at most seen about 25-30% of the world.

Are you upgrading your weapon? What's the boss you've defeated?

Souls really puts the emphasis on upgrading you equipment rather than leveling your character, so getting your weapon upgraded as high as possible as soon as possible is the way to go.

The 'recommended' straight and narrow path for progressing the first part of the game would be: Taurus Demon > Gargoyles > Capra Demon > Gaping Dragon > Quelaag. (there are other optional bosses like the ones in the forest area)

gaming_noob

I bought DS:prepare to Die on Steam and the wiki says it comes with Artorias of the Abyss DLC...is this true and if so how do i find the DLC?

I bought DS:prepare to Die on Steam and the wiki says it comes with Artorias of the Abyss DLC...is this true and if so how do i find the DLC?
With DLC is the only version on PC, so you have it.

You can only enter the DLC about 60% way through the main game, method:
1. Kill Darkroot Basin Hydra, leave area or quit out/reload and return to cave around from where the Hydra was
2. Kill golden Golem that is now there and rescue Dusk and answer 'yes' to her request for help.
3. Acquire and place Lord Vessel at Firelink Altar
4. Kill the blue crystal golem at the start of Dukes Archives for the broken pendant
5. Return to where you rescued Dusk, enter the purple swirly portal

gaming_noob

With DLC is the only version on PC, so you have it.

You can only enter the DLC about 60% way through the main game, method:
1. Kill Darkroot Basin Hydra, leave area or quit out/reload and return to cave around from where the Hydra was
2. Kill golden Golem that is now there and rescue Dusk and answer 'yes' to her request for help.
3. Acquire and place Lord Vessel at Firelink Altar
4. Kill the blue crystal golem at the start of Dukes Archives for the broken pendant
5. Return to where you rescued Dusk, enter the purple swirly portal

Sweet!! Thanks! This game keeps on giving!

Socreges

Banned
If you've only defeated one boss you have at most seen about 25-30% of the world.

Are you upgrading your weapon? What's the boss you've defeated?

Souls really puts the emphasis on upgrading you equipment rather than leveling your character, so getting your weapon upgraded as high as possible as soon as possible is the way to go.

The 'recommended' straight and narrow path for progressing the first part of the game would be: Taurus Demon > Gargoyles > Capra Demon > Gaping Dragon > Quelaag. (there are other optional bosses like the ones in the forest area)
Broadsword +4/+5.

And I haven't even tried the Gargoyles yet. Just the Capra Demon, which really just kicked my ass because it's awkward to fight in tight spaces.... and those damn dogs.

Thanks. Time to take on a few bosses

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Broadsword +4/+5.

And I haven't even tried the Gargoyles yet. Just the Capra Demon, which really just kicked my ass because it's awkward to fight in tight spaces.... and those damn dogs.

Thanks. Time to take on a few bosses

You've definitely killed the Asylum Demon, almost certainly killed the Taurus Demon, and you've killed Capra! That's 3 bosses, and is a great start. There isn't really a right order to kill the bosses because the game lets you really go all over the place. For some insight, my line of boss killing compared to the other posters was Taurus, Butterfly, Capra, Gaping, Gargoyles, Quelaag. And up through gaping I had been working without an upgraded weapons at all.

Broadsword is kind of crappy to me, but only because of it's moveset - I don't like the R2 attack. iirc the Longsword has the same moveset but it's R2 is a very nice ranged stab/poke which is more useful to me than the Broadsword's horizontal slash which is covered by other attacks in the moveset of the broadsword/longsword - BUT any weapon at all is viable and worth using if you like it. Like I said the earlier you upgrade your weapon as high as you can, the better - especially for a first playthrough, there's no prizes for using an unupgraded weapon unless you're specifically challenging yourself to do so.

If you've killed Capra you can now explore the Depths, which has a very important item
large ember
and is worth spending a bit of time down there farming upgrade materials (or in Blighttown which is easier for farming but not so close to Firelink, etc)
The slimes and slug enemies in Depths and Blighttown respectively drop large titanite shards and green titanite - large will take your weapon to +10
So grab that item and upgrade your weapon asap.

Capra is actually a very good boss to do early as possible for that very reason. And yes there is no order to do the bosses in (my first one is usually Capra or Pinwheel for example), but the 'recommended' order is just the usual order most new players would find themselves taking just because of how the game flows and what you need to achieve in-game. Go your own pace and explore, the forest has some nice loot for example and isn't too challenging early on.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Like I said the earlier you upgrade your weapon as high as you can, the better - especially for a first playthrough, there's no prizes for using an unupgraded weapon unless you're specifically challenging yourself to do so.

I don't know that I agree with this. If you just start upgrading weapons, you end up running out of upgrade materials. I found it better to spend some time with a weapon, get familiar with it, compare it against other weapons you have or find then decide whether to upgrade or not. You spend a lot less time grinding that way.

I don't know that I agree with this. If you just start upgrading weapons, you end up running out of upgrade materials. I found it better to spend some time with a weapon, get familiar with it, compare it against other weapons you have or find then decide whether to upgrade or not. You spend a lot less time grinding that way.
Absolutely agree - find the weapon you want and like, then upgrade it.

Socreges

Banned
You've definitely killed the Asylum Demon, almost certainly killed the Taurus Demon, and you've killed Capra! That's 3 bosses, and is a great start. There isn't really a right order to kill the bosses because the game lets you really go all over the place. For some insight, my line of boss killing compared to the other posters was Taurus, Butterfly, Capra, Gaping, Gargoyles, Quelaag. And up through gaping I had been working without an upgraded weapons at all.
My bad, I had beaten 2. Asylum and Taurus. Forgot about Asylum. Capra I'd tried early on and failed.

HOWEVER, I just beat the Gargoyles and Capra. Pretty handily. I definitely could have defeated them earlier. With Capra I just needed to know how to dodge/roll better.

Broadsword is kind of crappy to me, but only because of it's moveset - I don't like the R2 attack. iirc the Longsword has the same moveset but it's R2 is a very nice ranged stab/poke which is more useful to me than the Broadsword's horizontal slash which is covered by other attacks in the moveset of the broadsword/longsword - BUT any weapon at all is viable and worth using if you like it. Like I said the earlier you upgrade your weapon as high as you can, the better - especially for a first playthrough, there's no prizes for using an unupgraded weapon unless you're specifically challenging yourself to do so.

If you've killed Capra you can now explore the Depths, which has a very important item
large ember
and is worth spending a bit of time down there farming upgrade materials (or in Blighttown which is easier for farming but not so close to Firelink, etc)
The slimes and slug enemies in Depths and Blighttown respectively drop large titanite shards and green titanite - large will take your weapon to +10
So grab that item and upgrade your weapon asap.

Capra is actually a very good boss to do early as possible for that very reason. And yes there is no order to do the bosses in (my first one is usually Capra or Pinwheel for example), but the 'recommended' order is just the usual order most new players would find themselves taking just because of how the game flows and what you need to achieve in-game. Go your own pace and explore, the forest has some nice loot for example and isn't too challenging early on.
You can do Capra before Taurus?

And yeah, I just spent some time in the Depths. Didn't know what I was getting into, but found it fine.... until I was cursed and lost 10k Souls! Fortunately I was able to get rid of the curse, reach my bloodstain, and escape. Actually a pretty cool experience as my first time I dropped down a chute... the second time I decided to take another route so I knew I actually had a way out.

I very rarely use the R2 attack, but I'll try it out for various weapons and see if I want to invest the ember on something other than the Broadsword.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I very rarely use the R2 attack, but I'll try it out for various weapons and see if I want to invest the ember on something other than the Broadsword.

Oh oh, by the way, the embers aren't one time use. Once you have the ember, you can scale any weapons up using it, the problem is that you also need the materials (titanite shards, large titanite shards, chunks, slabs) to elevate it to the next level. Basically, the ember is unlocking the ability to scale your weapons to +10.

Also, I would recommend you try and get comfortable with using R2. Dark Souls gives you a lot of weapons with some really varied movesets and knowing the best tool to use in the situation is what makes the game such a blast to fight through.

Light attack | R1
Heavy attack | R2
Leaping attack | Forward + R2
Guard break (dat kick!!!) | Forward + R1
Running attack | Hold B to run, then press R1 while running
Dodging attack | While not moving, tap B to back step, then tap R1 to lunge forward and attack

Then of course, you know that you can press R1 multiple times to do multiple light hits, and if you're feeling ballsy like you don't need your shield, you can press Y to hold with both hands, change your moveset up, and increase your damage output.

Along with that on the left hand you have
Block (or light hit) L1
Parry (or shield bash) L2

With light shields/no shield L2 will parry, and with a heavy shield you'll do a shield bash.

Whenever I got a new weapon, I liked to just run through the basic assortment of moves available above and see how useful they looked and get a feel for it. Once you get a basic competency with what the attack options available to you are, the combat really opens up.

Stuff like parries are tough to learn because missing one is so punishing, and it's not something you need to master, so don't feel like you need that as a priority. But once you do get decent at them, pulling off a parry then obliterating your enemy is an awesome feeling.

best_black_knight_axe_parry_256colors_smaller_by_alo81-d6fthxy.gif

Socreges

Banned
Oh oh, by the way, the embers aren't one time use. Once you have the ember, you can scale any weapons up using it, the problem is that you also need the materials (titanite shards, large titanite shards, chunks, slabs) to elevate it to the next level. Basically, the ember is unlocking the ability to scale your weapons to +10.

Also, I would recommend you try and get comfortable with using R2. Dark Souls gives you a lot of weapons with some really varied movesets and knowing the best tool to use in the situation is what makes the game such a blast to fight through.

Light attack | R1
Heavy attack | R2
Leaping attack | Forward + R2
Guard break (dat kick!!!) | Forward + R1
Running attack | Hold B to run, then press R1 while running
Dodging attack | While not moving, tap B to back step, then tap R1 to lunge forward and attack

Then of course, you know that you can press R1 multiple times to do multiple light hits, and if you're feeling ballsy like you don't need your shield, you can press Y to hold with both hands, change your moveset up, and increase your damage output.

Along with that on the left hand you have
Block (or light hit) L1
Parry (or shield bash) L2

With light shields/no shield L2 will parry, and with a heavy shield you'll do a shield bash.

Whenever I got a new weapon, I liked to just run through the basic assortment of moves available above and see how useful they looked and get a feel for it. Once you get a basic competency with what the attack options available to you are, the combat really opens up.

Stuff like parries are tough to learn because missing one is so punishing, and it's not something you need to master, so don't feel like you need that as a priority. But once you do get decent at them, pulling off a parry then obliterating your enemy is an awesome feeling.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/211/8/6/best_black_knight_axe_parry_256colors_smaller_by_alo81-d6fthxy.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]Thank you! Just started trying out your tips. This game is even deeper than I'd thought.

By the way, just got the Drake sword... What's the catch? Seems like it's a huge step up for swords yet not that difficult to get?

Thank you! Just started trying out your tips. This game is even deeper than I'd thought.

By the way, just got the Drake sword... What's the catch? Seems like it's a huge step up for swords yet not that difficult to get?

It is amazingly strong for the early game, but will start to lose its value about 40% into the game. A lot of new players use it and because they start to one shot Undead Soldiers/other early enemies, they mash R1 instead of learning enemy tells and attack timing. Also, by using the Drake Sword and ignoring other weapons, people also miss out on learning about the weapon upgrade system and how weapons scale with your stats.

Thank you! Just started trying out your tips. This game is even deeper than I'd thought.

The downside of the Drake Sword is it doesn't scale with stats, so it's capped at the same damage. You can only raise your dmg with it by using dragon scales to upgrade it.

Tarkus

There's a much better sword very near to where you got the Drake Sword.

Socreges

Banned
There's a much better sword very near to where you got the Drake Sword.
... the Claymore? Got that, too. Seems slow, though?

That dragon definitely did not want me crossing that bridge...

I'm going to ignore the Drake Sword then. Eventually I can start selling all of this extra equipment, no?

Thanks guys

eyeless

i need someone to help me assess the damage here and tell me what to do here

.......ugghghggh

i accidentally hit andre of astoria

i've tried googling and apparently only he can upgrade weapons to +10 and +15? and there's a dude up where the taurus demon was that will "absolve my sins" and make npc's non-aggro for 2000 times my soul level..... and i'm level 50

100,000 souls

so uh.. is there a way to mess around with the game on the pc version and make npc's non-aggro? (this is the ideal solution) is there a trainer or something that's safe to use that i can just give myself 100,000 souls and end this nightmare?

what should i do

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

.......ugghghggh

i've tried googling and apparently only he can upgrade weapons to +10 and +15? and there's a dude up where the taurus demon was that will "absolve my sins" and make npc's non-aggro for 2000 times my soul level..... and i'm level 50

100,000 souls

so uh.. is there a way to mess around with the game on the pc version and make npc's non-aggro? (this is the ideal solution) is there a trainer or something that's safe to use that i can just give myself 100,000 souls and end this nightmare?

what should i do
Are you playing pre-patch somehow? Because that got patched later and the cost was 500 x your level, so it'd cost you 25k souls, not 100k.

But since you're on PC you should have the already patched version with the PTD edition. 25k souls is really not that bad. You can farm that quick in the forest from the NPCs.
And yes Andre is kind of essential unless you're going for a magic build (you can use Rickert then) or a weird non-scaling VIT gouge build (then you can use Vamos or the giant blacksmith with elemental weapons but they won't scale with strength or dex).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

.......ugghghggh

100,000 souls

what should i do

25k souls isn't that hard to get.

If you want to go the illegitimate way, check the cheatengine forums Dark Souls thread. They've got up to date Cheat Engine tables that should allow you to modify your souls value.

Socreges

Banned

.......ugghghggh

100,000 souls

what should i do
This game is so hardcore. Love it.

(sorry)

eyeless

Are you playing pre-patch somehow? Because that got patched later and the cost was 500 x your level, so it'd cost you 25k souls, not 100k.

But since you're on PC you should have the already patched version with the PTD edition. 25k souls is really not that bad. You can farm that quick in the forest from the NPCs.
And yes Andre is kind of essential unless you're going for a magic build (you can use Rickert then) or a weird non-scaling VIT gouge build (then you can use Vamos or the giant blacksmith with elemental weapons but they won't scale with strength or dex).
yeah i must have been looking at some outdated post on gamefaqs

anyway i found out a glitch to get souls and did it and absolved myself so it's all good now, except the glitch involved duping a boss soul and on the last time i used it i actually used it for real and now i have no quelaag soul, also i prefer not to know about glitches, but w/e i don't cheat in games, at least if i ever accidentally attack any hugely important npcs i know i'm not totally boned

Socreges

Banned
yeah i must have been looking at some outdated post on gamefaqs

anyway i found out a glitch to get souls and did it and absolved myself so it's all good now, except the glitch involved duping a boss soul and on the last time i used it i actually used it for real and now i have no quelaag soul, also i prefer not to know about glitches, but w/e i don't cheat in games, at least if i ever accidentally attack any hugely important npcs i know i'm not totally boned
Hmmm ;)

eyeless

doesn't count brah i didn't mean to attack that dude and i don't deserve to have my game ruined i'm a good person i was just putting the world right again, some people might even call me a hero

and i sure as shit wasn't gonna farm 25000 souls for an hour 500 at a time on that dragon bridge i've wasted enough of my life doing that already

You do right, that's something not worth farming for at all. Everyone learns that lesson though: when standing anywhere near an NPC take your fingers AWAAAAY from the shoulder buttons! :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
doesn't count brah i didn't mean to attack that dude and i don't deserve to have my game ruined i'm a good person i was just putting the world right again, some people might even call me a hero

and i sure as shit wasn't gonna farm 25000 souls for an hour 500 at a time on that dragon bridge i've wasted enough of my life doing that already
You can get 25k in the forest in like 10 min or less... but oh well.

Top Bottom