• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I don't get why people like to twink in the Burg with lvl 1 NG+ characters. I did it for a while and it's just a waste of time for both you and the guy you are attacking. Just, oh there you are "1-hit kill" okay yay. I knew it was wrong... but shit, I had to try it out with my onebro just as payback for the dickery I face whenever I got a low-level character in the Undead Burg.

Anti-twink brigading is fun, too, but nowadays the opportunities are really rare.

I don't get why people like to twink in the Burg with lvl 1 NG+ characters. I did it for a while and it's just a waste of time for both you and the guy you are attacking. Just, oh there you are "1-hit kill" okay yay. I knew it was wrong... but shit, I had to try it out with my onebro just as payback for the dickery I face whenever I got a low-level character in the Undead Burg.

Anti-twink brigading is fun, too, but nowadays the opportunities are really rare.
Thet do it because they're shit at pvp otherwise and need that overwhelming advantage to compensate for their incredibly small penises.

My bro Solaire keeping Ornstein busy while I fuck Smough's day up (easy), but then Sol barely having any health for the second phase so getting beat early. Died at least 10 times trying it, but good lordy, the overwhelming relief of having been whittled down to no estus flasks, 1 twin humanity left, 1/4 health left, in a tight spot with his spear hanging over my head to finish me off ...... pull out a last dash two handed crystal halberd heavy double swing ...... both hits connect and take him out :D

That's what the souls games are all about !

Thet do it because they're shit at pvp otherwise and need that overwhelming advantage to compensate for their incredibly small penises.

Well, let's be real: You are rarely ever going to get a fair battle in Dark Souls 1 PvP. It's a crap shoot. Seems like 90% of people are either 40int + mages or Elemental Zweihander poise tanks.

Well, let's be real: You are rarely ever going to get a fair battle in Dark Souls 1 PvP. It's a crap shoot. Seems like 90% of people are either 40int + mages or Elemental Zweihander poise tanks.
If everyone is in the same SL range with appropriate gear, I call that fair. That's why I prefer SL matching to Soul Memory. You have to make choices where your stats go, if you dump them all in to INT you're a glass cannon, if you dump them all into HP you're a tank.

If you invade at SL1 with a +5 Lightning weapon, fully ascended pyro flame and 99 Divine Blessings and the dude you invaded was just making his way to the Burg bonfire and has starting gear - that's not fair.

My bro Solaire keeping Ornstein busy while I fuck Smough's day up (easy), but then Sol barely having any health for the second phase so getting beat early. Died at least 10 times trying it, but good lordy, the overwhelming relief of having been whittled down to no estus flasks, 1 twin humanity left, 1/4 health left, in a tight spot with his spear hanging over my head to finish me off ...... pull out a last dash two handed crystal halberd heavy double swing ...... both hits connect and take him out :D

That's what the souls games are all about !

Congrats! Such a good feeling to take them out.

I had someone invade me in Anor Londo and in my own stupidity I was wildly hacking at the invader, not knowing he was trolling me by standing behind Solaire in the bonfire room and I killed Solaire.

I then proceeded to engage O&S with no summon. Took about 12 tries and I got it though. What a feeling!

If everyone is in the same SL range with appropriate gear, I call that fair. That's why I prefer SL matching to Soul Memory. You have to make choices where your stats go, if you dump them all in to INT you're a glass cannon, if you dump them all into HP you're a tank.

If you invade at SL1 with a +5 Lightning weapon, fully ascended pyro flame and 99 Divine Blessings and the dude you invaded was just making his way to the Burg bonfire and has starting gear - that's not fair.

They are invader roleplaying, I'd say. Dickwraiths gonna dickwraith. The real fucked up dickwraiths are the ones who shut doors that the game won't let the player open again. Or do things that ruin the other's game... but shit, I guess that's a lore-safe style of play.

They are invader roleplaying, I'd say. Dickwraiths gonna dickwraith. The real fucked up dickwraiths are the ones who shut doors that the game won't let the player open again. Or do things that ruin the other's game... but shit, I guess that's a lore-safe style of play.
Roleplaying, right! :p

I shut those doors on invaders to trap them, or leave fog gates up intentionally - some of them will wait FOREVER, then the messages start, and the dropping of items..... oh dear! Actually my favourite dickwraith-baiting was on my SL1 NG+7 run, I'd trap them in the Parish with the gate behind the metal boar and then summon Lautrec or Solaire and push them down. NPC phantoms get a boost from NG+ just like enemies do, so by about NG+4 invaders would start having a really hard time against them - nothing like seeing invaders get one-shot by Solaire!

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Congrats! Such a good feeling to take them out.

I had someone invade me in Anor Londo and in my own stupidity I was wildly hacking at the invader, not knowing he was trolling me by standing behind Solaire in the bonfire room and I killed Solaire.

I then proceeded to engage O&S with no summon. Took about 12 tries and I got it though. What a feeling!

Lololol that's pretty funny. Glad you still made it

Archon473

I arrived in Anor Londo Level 40 with +Nothing weapons and spent a week fighting the duo. This was the first time I ever struggled with a section of the game for more than a day. Whether a boss or an area, persistence always conquered in the end. I was questioning whether a pure melee build was possible, at least for a brand new player's first playthrough, when I realized blacksmiths sell upgrade materials. 20 minutes of Sentinel skirmishing and a +5 Giant Halberd later, I went from dealing 100 damage in 3 hits to 492 in one, laugh aloud. Bosses are dying in less hits than I can count on one hand and I'm pumped for part two of this fabulous game.

I arrived in Anor Londo Level 40 with +Nothing weapons and spent a week fighting the duo. This was the first time I ever struggled with a section of the game for more than a day. Whether a boss or an area, persistence always conquered in the end. I was questioning whether a pure melee build was possible, at least for a brand new player's first playthrough, when I realized blacksmiths sell upgrade materials. 20 minutes of Sentinel skirmishing and a +5 Giant Halberd later, I went from dealing 100 damage in 3 hits to 492 in one, laugh aloud. Bosses are dying in less hits than I can count on one hand and I'm pumped for part two of this fabulous game.
!!

How did you end up halfway through the game without realising you could upgrade weapons?!

Hey guys I have this start to a sleeve on my arm:

pvIt9tQ.jpg

Right now it's just freehand loosely inspired by the art of the souls/bloodborne games. i'd like to tie it more into the series though. I was thinking about doing the symbol of the path of the dragon from DS in the circle, and I'd like to put the darksign somewhere but my elbow has some coverage around it so the natural placement of around it probably wouldn't work now, so I'm not sure where to go to make that not look like an out of place circle....i want to incorporate the hunters mark somewhere for sure, but other than that...Anybody have any ideas? i'd appreciate anything, i've been thinking about it for a while but haven't found an image that i'm dead set on yet...i'd like to incorporate some cool symbols/things from DS/BB

NG+ 4 Kings fight, 7th attempt, 1 down, 2 down, 3 down ..... come on come on ....... 4TH DOWN WOO ....... wait why isn't it over ...... 3 of em still chasing me ?!?!? FECK OFF. STOP SHOOTING SPELL SHIT AT ME ...... stabbed in the back, as I die I notice the boss health bar has 1mm of health left.

Fuck you Dark Souls. This game is an abusive relationship :(

Hey guys I have this start to a sleeve on my arm:

pvIt9tQ.jpg

Right now it's just freehand loosely inspired by the art of the souls/bloodborne games. i'd like to tie it more into the series though. I was thinking about doing the symbol of the path of the dragon from DS in the circle, and I'd like to put the darksign somewhere but my elbow has some coverage around it so the natural placement of around it probably wouldn't work now, so I'm not sure where to go to make that not look like an out of place circle....i want to incorporate the hunters mark somewhere for sure, but other than that...Anybody have any ideas? i'd appreciate anything, i've been thinking about it for a while but haven't found an image that i'm dead set on yet...i'd like to incorporate some cool symbols/things from DS/BB

That looks sweet. I'd suggest getting the Design Works books for some great artwork you could incorporate and/or adapt.

NG+ 4 Kings fight, 7th attempt, 1 down, 2 down, 3 down ..... come on come on ....... 4TH DOWN WOO ....... wait why isn't it over ...... 3 of em still chasing me ?!?!? FECK OFF. STOP SHOOTING SPELL SHIT AT ME ...... stabbed in the back, as I die I notice the boss health bar has 1mm of health left.

Fuck you Dark Souls. This game is an abusive relationship :(
Have you tried using power within? The fight is a DPS race as it is, so upping your damage output is the best way to ensure you are only dealing with one king at a time.

Power Within + fully ascended pyro flame + Dusk Crown + Bellowing Dragon ring will make short work of them.

That looks sweet. I'd suggest getting the Design Works books for some great artwork you could incorporate and/or adapt.

Thanks! I've been leafing through those lately. Right now I'm thinking possibly something inspired by a four king or the cleric beast (maybe some blood starved beast inspiration), on some part of my forearm/inner bicep. not quite sure if it'd work with the other face being so big though.

still not totally sure if we should throw in some colour highlights (for instance, make the inside of that circle coloured, or the eyes, or highlight the weapon on the future addition). opinions? a little undecided, on one hand, black ages better for sure, but on the other hand, man some highlights or fire might really pop, idk.

Thanks! I've been leafing through those lately. Right now I'm thinking possibly something inspired by a four king or the cleric beast (maybe some blood starved beast inspiration), on some part of my forearm/inner bicep. not quite sure if it'd work with the other face being so big though.

still not totally sure if we should throw in some colour highlights (for instance, make the inside of that circle coloured, or the eyes, or highlight the weapon on the future addition). opinions? a little undecided, on one hand, black ages better for sure, but on the other hand, man some highlights or fire might really pop, idk.

I bet a good artist (which you clearly have) will be able to fit it in so it looks good. I generally like black for that kind of tattoo, but some accent like red eyes isn't a bad idea! I wonder if there will be a Bloodborne Design Works?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Stunning work again Spaniard.

You're not playing for the first time as you do these are you?!

Thank you! I beat the game last year and Im pretty into the lore. Only thing I havent done is the DLC (game went into NG+ right away, while I thought I could do it after the final boss)

These are done with simple tools btw. Moleskine sketchbook, colerase pencil, micron pens, an inkbrush pen and a Muji pen

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Okay cool so they're just scanned then I guess? I didn't know if you were doing it digitally. Very cool stuff

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah after I scan I do clean them up a bit in Photoshop, adding greytones to the gargoyle piece or removing the creases from the sketchbook, for example ... But its still 95% real media.

Have you tried using power within? The fight is a DPS race as it is, so upping your damage output is the best way to ensure you are only dealing with one king at a time.

Power Within + fully ascended pyro flame + Dusk Crown + Bellowing Dragon ring will make short work of them.

You the man ! Power within did the trick, didn't even need to finish off the 4th King :D Hello Abyss serpent ......

I'm doing a straight-up Elite Knight set with broad sword build. Basically, just making a good old-school 15-16th century fantasy knight. AND, I'm going through Blighttown the legit way for the first time in years. Man, that area is ROUGH. Not with difficulty, necessarily, but with weird design and god-awful frame rate. I totally forgot about everything in this area! The giant parasite monster that blocks your path, for example.

Raging Spaniard

Amazing work! Hope you play the DLC this time around!
I will forever hate the titanite demon in the small room filled with pews in Anor Londo.

You can just snipe it with magic from the balcony, right? Thats all I did.

Then again, magic was easy mode.

And done !

Ii5wV8F.png

Again, lots of grindy bullshit, but some of the achievements force you to see areas, NPC's etc that you may have missed, so some of it is good fun.

I can see why Dark Soul's is so highly praised, I absolutely love a game that has pretty much the entire world connected seamlessly, and also varied all over. Bosses looked great, fun to fight, Solaire is a true bro, and that dragon at the bottom of the hollow looked crazy good, shame no fight ! So much atmosphere in the game, its a masterpiece to me. Massive upgrade all round from Demon's Souls.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I came to the conclusion last night that I don't want to grind anymore in this game. I just want to play builds, lots of different builds. So I broke down and
used a hack
. And wham!! The game has new life. So many things I haven't tried before. Very refreshing.

No shame bud, thats the beauty of PC gaming. If there are components you don't enjoy, you're free to circumvent them as long as you have the know-how. Embrace it!

And done !

Ii5wV8F.png

Again, lots of grindy bullshit, but some of the achievements force you to see areas, NPC's etc that you may have missed, so some of it is good fun.

I can see why Dark Soul's is so highly praised, I absolutely love a game that has pretty much the entire world connected seamlessly, and also varied all over. Bosses looked great, fun to fight, Solaire is a true bro, and that dragon at the bottom of the hollow looked crazy good, shame no fight ! So much atmosphere in the game, its a masterpiece to me. Massive upgrade all round from Demon's Souls.

LOL
Was that today? Congrats!

Coincidently I happen to have reached 100% completion this evening as well.

thedarksouls_steam0zpcn.png

darksoulscomplete30qeo.png

I'm happy my brother helped me out with some spare boss souls. Otherwhise there was not much grinding for me. But it took me 3 characters and two-and-a-half playthroughs.
I may have unlocked the platinum trophy on PS3 years ago too but I still love this game. Can't believe I actually had the patience to 100% it again.

Manu

That feeling when the balder swag sword casually drops on a new character.

This happened to me today. It's already at +10 and my dex at 30. Life is good.

Also, I solo'd Ornstein & Smough for the first time today. I usually give up around my 20th try and just coop. Today I persisted and killed both of them myself.

Then I went and killed Lautrec on my first try too. This new character is just on a row.

strafer

This happened to me today. It's already at +10 and my dex at 30. Life is good.

Also, I solo'd Ornstein & Smough for the first time today. I usually give up around my 20th try and just coop. Today I persisted and killed both of them myself.

Then I went and killed Lautrec on my first try too. This new character is just on a row.

Now if the Balder shield would drop. But then again, I can buy it later in Sens Fortress though.

Quikies83

How's the PC community these days? I havent fired it up since opting in to the beta patch removing GFW component. Would love to jump back in for some co-op fun.

Top Bottom