• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So, I did my Elite Knight build with broadsword and at the end, got bored, and went with a Shiva build. Great weapon (murakumo!) Fantastic shield! (Iron Round Shield!) But kinda ho-hum armor for how damn heavy it is. Elite Knight +10 armor shits all over it... but with the whole set together, you gotta love the aesthetics. The one thing I think I'd like to see more of in Dark Souls are complete set armor bonuses. That's a standard practice in RPG gaming for decades... I'd like to see it here, too.

Btw, what is the basis for the Eastern Set? I always presumed it was based on some Chinese armor, but now that I think about it, I have no idea what Chinese armor would look like after like 500AD. You don't see many movies about 1200-1600 China, which seems to be where most of the armor in DrkS1 comes from. Solaire's armor seems like 13th century (probably based on the Knights Templar), where the Elite Knight set seems more like 16th century or something. But, I don't know for sure, just what I've seen and read about English history and some drawings from my own family's historical records.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
tumblr_nwuiyoxBC01qed0geo1_1280.jpg
As you cross the fog, you find yourself in a rather cramped room with vine-covered walls, with a few pillars to your right and a small staircase at the back. But before you can take in your surroundings further, you are immediately ambushed by a huge goat-shaped demon lunging at you with a giant cleaver in each hand. You only have enough time to see that the demon is surrounded by two snarling hounds who also come rushing at full speed. You must react swiftly if you hope to survive.

If you would like to attack the dogs first, turn to 53.

If you prefer to ignore the dogs and attack the goat demon instead, turn to 127.

If you think it more prudent to avoid them for now and dash towards the stairs at the back of the room, turn to 221.

If you'd rather take cover behind the pillars to buy yourself some time, turn to 5.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Morrigan, those are consistently great, thank you.

(also note that one hound has already been fried ;)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Some of these pieces will be taken to full color once inktober is done with, Capra Demon will definitely be one of them. I want to give this a traveling journal look and feel, so it will be done in digital watercolors. Kinda like if The Chosen Undead was taking a break from dying 50 times in a row and decided to draw what he remembered of the encounters, so it might not be perfectly exact, but it should evoke the same feelings.

After October I'll have to figure out a schedule or scope, to "finish the game" will probably take another 15 or so pieces, but that would be about 45 pages of content, not enough to do a book, so Im sending some feelers out for more ambitious plans :)

Some of these pieces will be taken to full color once inktober is done with, Capra Demon will definitely be one of them. I want to give this a traveling journal look and feel, so it will be done in digital watercolors. Kinda like if The Chosen Undead was taking a break from dying 50 times in a row and decided to draw what he remembered of the encounters, so it might not be perfectly exact, but it should evoke the same feelings.

After October I'll have to figure out a schedule or scope, to "finish the game" will probably take another 15 or so pieces, but that would be about 45 pages of content, not enough to do a book, so Im sending some feelers out for more ambitious plans :)

I can't wait to see some in colour, you're one talented person thanks for sharing them :)

Manu

Just wanted to join everyone else in saying that's some amazing artwork, Spaniard.

Capra and Gaping Dragon specifically look incredible. Dat Quelaag too.

Manu

Well, that's another run that I've been unable to save Siegmeyer.

He destroyed the brain things in Lost Izalith in like, five seconds, and then he died anyway :(

Booshka

He destroyed the brain things in Lost Izalith in like, five seconds, and then he died anyway :(

Kill all but one of them before you drop down with him, then quickly kill it so he doesnt take any damage. If he loses a certain amount of HP during that part then he will just die when you talk to him.

I usually just sit next to him, snipe the chaos eaters with a bow, spells or firebombs, then initiate his dialog.

As you cross the fog, you find yourself in a rather cramped room with vine-covered walls, with a few pillars to your right and a small staircase at the back. But before you can take in your surroundings further, you are immediately ambushed by a huge goat-shaped demon lunging at you with a giant cleaver in each hand. You only have enough time to see that the demon is surrounded by two snarling hounds who also come rushing at full speed. You must react swiftly if you hope to survive.

If you would like to attack the dogs first, turn to 53.

If you prefer to ignore the dogs and attack the goat demon instead, turn to 127.

If you think it more prudent to avoid them for now and dash towards the stairs at the back of the room, turn to 221.

If you'd rather take cover behind the pillars to buy yourself some time, turn to 5.

Glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of those adventure books ! That artwork is truly brilliant, someone tweet From !

If you kill all but one of them before you speak to him it will increase your chances of keeping him alive.

I always snipe them with arrows or soul arrow, get the last one down to low enough HP so one hit will kill it, then speak to him, he jumps down then kill the last beasie, take out the one around the corner and Seigmeyer should stil be in rude health. This is especially useful in NG+ onwards.

Heres the last 5 days, only 5 more to go until inktober is done!
tumblr_nwujclTJZY1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

I've been really enjoying seeing your art when I pop in and out of this thread every so often, this one in particular I am loving because I just got finished with Blight Town last week. Fuck those poison darts.

Also, dem abs on Quelaag :)

strafer

So I just looked through The Servant Roster you get from the Chaos Servant, and there are dudes who are level 710 and with 99 in all stats.

That's pretty dedicated play.

Manu

So I reached the DLC again with my latest character, and I got Artorias on my second try this time. The first attempt went bad, obviously, since I only did this fight once a year and a half ago and I only beat it by summoning back then. Then on my second try I wrecked him. I think I only used 4 estus or something like that.

I'm kinda proud of myself right now.

Bulk_Rate

Thinking of picking this up on 360 for my son, who has beaten BB and DSII and now wants to try the first one.

Question: How is the online scene on 360? I recall some folks saying that hackers had ruined it? Is there a decent scene for summoning?

Tarkus

Been doing some fairly high level invading at NLR. First time using the Jagged Ghost Blade. This is a pretty nice little weapon. I can see this being useful on an SL-1 build.

krakov

Thinking of picking this up on 360 for my son, who has beaten BB and DSII and now wants to try the first one.

Question: How is the online scene on 360? I recall some folks saying that hackers had ruined it? Is there a decent scene for summoning?

Kinda dead sadly. You are likely to find summons for the most popular bosses and areas. Quite a few modders around the PvP hotspots but it won't bother you unless you are invading for most part.

Manu

Finished my second run. I don't know why I always lose interest halfway through the game, I guess this one went so smooth I just pushed on.

I ended up killing Artorias on my second try, Manus on my third try (I almost got him on my first try but got greedy), Kalameet on my fourth try (never killed him alone before), and Gwyn on my first attempt.

Also, I ditched the Diablo cosplay and went for this look for the final part of the game:

I almost feel like getting the Platinum with this character.

Bulk_Rate

Kinda dead sadly. You are likely to find summons for the most popular bosses and areas. Quite a few modders around the PvP hotspots but it won't bother you unless you are invading for most part.

Thanks --- maybe he should just play it on Steam - he's a fan of TV couch gaming though

strafer

Good lord,
of cinder!
I had no idea you could parry Gwyn! Went in decked in all Black Knight armor and whooped his flaming ass.

Jombie

Good lord,
of cinder!
I had no idea you could parry Gwyn! Went in decked in all Black Knight armor and whooped his flaming ass.

He can be an asshole. I just finished another playthrough and it seemed like all he did was the grab attempt and kick. But yeah, set-up parry is OP. It was the point in the game where I 'got gud' and learned how to parry. Now I parry the world.

Tarkus

I've been reading lists of DS1's hardest bosses and I tend to disagree with almost all of them. Kalameet and Manus were way harder to me than O&S or ng+ 4 Kings. I guess you could Greatshield turtle Manus to death, but Kalameet...no way, right? Am I missing a good strategy to beat him?

strafer

I've been reading lists of DS1's hardest bosses and I tend to disagree with almost all of them. Kalameet and Manus were way harder to me than O&S or ng+ 4 Kings. I guess you could Greatshield turtle Manus to death, but Kalameet...no way, right? Am I missing a good strategy to beat him?

Kalameet? I went in with full havel armor, greatshield of artorias and a fully upgraded black knight halberd. And just took the damage.

also, make sure gough shoots him down first

Artorias was easy when I went butt naked and 2 handed a long sword (roll dodge jump attack, strong attack as he recovers, can get 2 hits in if lucky).

Used same technique on Manus, ez !

Manu

So I've been thinking and I have a lore-related question:

Since the Gwynevere we meet is an illusion created by Gwyndolin, why would he/she even give you the Lordvessel in the first place? Gwyndolin surely must know the Chosen Undead must kill his father in order to link the fire. And even then, how can he be so sure he will link the fire? What if the Chosen Undead kills Gwyn and then just leaves the world to enter the Age of Dark? I mean, that's one of the possible endings. Is Gwyndolin even aware of Frampt's plan? So many questions.

Tarkus

So I've been thinking and I have a lore-related question:

Since the Gwynevere we meet is an illusion created by Gwyndolin, why would he/she even give you the Lordvessel in the first place? Gwyndolin surely must know the Chosen Undead must kill his father in order to link the fire. And even then, how can he be so sure he will link the fire? What if the Chosen Undead kills Gwyn and then just leaves the world to enter the Age of Dark? I mean, that's one of the possible endings. Is Gwyndolin even aware of Frampt's plan? So many questions.
Gwyndolin and Frampt are working together to encourage the chosen undead to link the fire. Gwyndolin's illusion tells you that Kingseeker Frampt "shall guideth thee." That's why Frampt butters up the chosen undead so much. They want you to kill the severely burned Gwyn, Lord of Cinder. Gwyn is completely mad from being burned and wants the flame linked, but he is afraid of humans because they will usher in the Age of Dark. I believe that's why you have to battle him as opposed to him just patting you on the back for wanting to link the flame.

I imagine most people would never know to walk out and not link the flame if they never met Kaathe. Especially since Frampt and company intensely steer you towards linking. They don't know what you'll do but Frampt trusts that the chosen undead is a "good" guy. Frampt, Gwyndolin, and Gwyn are all "good guys" imo.

strafer

So im guessing that is the canon ending. As i was watching a playthrough of dark souls 3 and i noticed that your body is kinda burning and you can restore your health like in demon souls with whats called an ember. Maybe you are the new gwyn.

So im guessing that is the canon ending. As i was watching a playthrough of dark souls 3 and i noticed that your body is kinda burning and you can restore your health like in demon souls with whats called an ember. Maybe you are the new gwyn.
Have you played DS2? It also answers this somewhat.

vladdamad

Finally beat Capra Demon a while back after being stuck for over three years, 35 hours later and now I am almost finished, pretty sure I only have Gwyn left to kill (got all the Lord Souls, the door under Firelink Shrine where the Lordvessel is has been unlocked). Is there anything that I missed potentially that is worth doing before starting NG+? I have: returned to the Undead Asylum, done the Painted World (although decided to spare the boss there), visited The Hollow/Ash Lake. Going through the DLC now.

Game is pretty close to top five of all time for me, and I am really glad I decided to return and delve more deeply into it. Highlights for me were finding the Blighttown shortcut up to Valley of the Drakes, the Ornstein and Smough boss fight, and the entirety of Sen's Fortress. The only thing that brings the experience down for me are the areas after you get the Lordvessel (except for New Londo, that was incredible). Never want to set foot in Lost Izalith ever again lol

Is there anything that I missed potentially that is worth doing before starting NG+?
It sounds like you've hit up all the areas including hidden. Have you fought
Gwyndolin
, if you haven't been using a guide/wiki etc this one is pretty difficult to find imo.

vladdamad

It sounds like you've hit up all the areas including hidden. Have you fought
Gwyndolin
, if you haven't been using a guide/wiki etc this one is pretty difficult to find imo.

Just got him now! Had no idea you could turn Anor Londo
dark, what a cool moment.
Not sure what that means story wise though, it's gonna be fun to delve into the lore once I'm finished.

Currently on the Artorias boss fight in the DLC and man is it hard, it feels more like a Bloodborne boss so I am just practicing evading it as much possible.

Top Bottom