• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

vladdamad

Just ended up tanking him with Havel's Armour and Eagle Shield. Cheap, I know, but it worked. I've done everything else in the DLC now except for Kalameet and Manus. The Manus fight is by far the most difficult thing I have fought in this game. Tanking doesn't seem to work here so I am using my shadow armour with Child's Mask and Grass Crest Shield and rolling all over the place. Every mistake is fatal, and I've only ever managed to get him down to 33% health, but it is enormously entertaining.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just one more drawing to go before I take a break on this, almost to Anor Londo!

tumblr_nxcu6eStSf1qed0geo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nxcuehKmaS1qed0geo1_540.jpg

tumblr_nxcur69oAf1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nxcv43YnnM1qed0geo1_540.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I've played DS2 but I don't remember where and who mentions it.
God, it's been a while since I played DS2, but the whole set-up basically confirmed you linked the flame in DS1 didn't it? I know they patched in an alt. ending and everything, but the whole set up of the game is that age after age someone linked the flame (Vendrick being the last).

Tarkus

God, it's been a while since I played DS2, but the whole set-up basically confirmed you linked the flame in DS1 didn't it? I know they patched in an alt. ending and everything, but the whole set up of the game is that age after age someone linked the flame (Vendrick being the last).
Yes the flame was linked in DS1, but did Vendrick actually link the flame? I don't think he ever did. Nashandra tricked him into destroying the Giants, but Vendrick learned of her real motive to usher in the Age of Dark. He sealed her behind the great doors that must be opened while wearing Vendrick's ring. In his journey to stop her and link the fire, Vendrick became a victim of the undead curse and hollowed in the Undead Crypt. Still protected by his powerful aegis.

DarkFlame

Banned
came to pay my respects to this monumental game.Definetely the best of the Soul series,an game experience unlike any other.

Need.More.Souls

PS:I really liked DS2 btw

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
VaatiVidya plots this out as well as Ive seen but basically.

Vendrick was initially going to link the flame until he realized the queen coveted it, thusly Vendrick fled and locked himself in, realizing he had changed and now preferred the age of Dark.

DS2 actually heavily implies that in DS1 you may have linked the flame or not, the whole idea is that its that ever since Gwyn linked humanity to the flame, its a neverending cycle of light and dark.

The PC version of Dark Souls in 2015, folks:
darksouls_2015_11_07_06_06_46_110_by_realghostvids-d9fqvlk.jpg

Nine signs at this bonfire and several more strewn throughout the area! It's amazing that there are still people actively playing and co-oping in this game.

Of course, every sign I tried gave me a "Summoning Failed," but just it wouldn't be Dark Souls without that... ;_;

Living in a construction camp and got invaded for the first time in Anor Londo, internet dropped out and the phantom flew off into the corner of the room after poisoning me. I feel bad that it ended prematurely but not much I can do on that... Didn't think anyone could possibly connect to me at this place.

Anybody here listened to the bonfireside chat episodes about Dark Souls?

Also, finally got my Prepare to Die edition... First character is a legitimate Artorias role-play.

strafer

Nine signs at this bonfire and several more strewn throughout the area! It's amazing that there are still people actively playing and co-oping in this game.

Of course, every sign I tried gave me a "Summoning Failed," but just it wouldn't be Dark Souls without that... ;_;

I can never be human in Anor Londo. I get invaded constantly. I played offline the entire time in AL.

Korosenai

Since Dark Souls is coming to bc on xbone, i have a question about where i should go next in the game.

I haven't played this game in a while (because I don't like playing on my 360 anymore and was waiting for the game to move to bc on xbone) but the last thing I did in the game was kill the bell tower gargoyles. Where do I need to go after this, or could someone link me to a specific part of a guide that tells me where to go?

Tarkus

Since Dark Souls is coming to bc on xbone, i have a question about where i should go next in the game.

I haven't played this game in a while (because I don't like playing on my 360 anymore and was waiting for the game to move to bc on xbone) but the last thing I did in the game was kill the bell tower gargoyles. Where do I need to go after this, or could someone link me to a specific part of a guide that tells me where to go?
You have many options, but it's typical to go to Lower Undead Burg next.

Tarkus

Where is the entrance to this area located? I think i'm still currently at the bell tower. I rang the bell tower, the achievement popped, and i just haven't played it since.
You need the key from the Parish or the master key. It's the door on the right just before the Hellkite bridge.

Manu

Where is the entrance to this area located? I think i'm still currently at the bell tower. I rang the bell tower, the achievement popped, and i just haven't played it since.

It's a door that was previously locked right after you met Solaire. You should now have the Basement Key.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So get the master key, and then go to a door on the bridge with the dragon that would swoop across it and breath fire?

The master key is only a starting gift I think. Either way as the other guy said you should have the basement key by now which opens that door

And kill the dragon if you're not a pussy. Or at least cut off his tail and main the Drake sword :3

The master key is only a starting gift I think.
You can buy it from Domnhall, but only after he leaves the Depths.

Korosenai - When you pick up something like a key, read the item description, in this particular case (Basement Key) it tells you exactly what the key is for and where to use it. That's kind of how the game is, the info is there for you to use, but it's not rammed down your throat like it is in most games. Have fun!

I can never be human in Anor Londo. I get invaded constantly. I played offline the entire time in AL.

Yeah, I got invaded by the same guy like 3 times in a row in AL before saying "fuck it." Didn't even know you can get invaded by the same person back to back (to back).

Manu

Four playthroughs and I just found the blacksmith in the Catacombs for the first time.

This is the game that keeps on giving.

There are more than half a dozen new games I want to play in my Steam library and yet I've spent the last couple of weeks replaying this game three times back to back with three different builds. Dark Souls has to be my most replayed game, for some reason it just refuses to get old.

My three characters: A Zweihander/Claymore strongman, a Mage with no magic, and a lightweight flippy guy with no shield.
screenshot_2015_11_11_12_23_45_by_realghostvids-d9g971t.jpg

Eastern Leggings are best leggings.

So at the catacombs, Do the enemies just keep coming back? Is there any way to kill them permanently?
What strafer said. But if you coming to the Catacombs after Anor Londo (which means you're probably a bit overleved any way for the Catacombs), you can downgrade the Occult Club found in Anor Londo to a Divine +5 for a free divine weapon without having to upgrade another one.

I would actually recommend NOT using a divine weapon though just for the fun of taking out the Necromancers, once you know where they all are in the area using a divine weapon is kind of pointless/easy mode.

strafer

What strafer said. But if you coming to the Catacombs after Anor Londo (which means you're probably a bit overleved any way for the Catacombs), you can downgrade the Occult Club found in Anor Londo to a Divine +5 for a free divine weapon without having to upgrade another one.

I would actually recommend NOT using a divine weapon though just for the fun of taking out the Necromancers, once you know where they all are in the area using a divine weapon is kind of pointless/easy mode.

It helps a lot against the fight with Gravelord Nito, those adds are real assholes.

Tarkus

WHY IS SPANIARD BANNED?
I checked his/her history and could not find anything bannable in the slightest. Must be self-imposed. Maybe he/she had a big exam or project coming up.

I keep saying I'm done with PvP but I can't stop. I really just want to play the game with different builds, but I always end up at the Township or Painted World spamming Dried Fingers. Last night might have been the last straw though. Nothing but backstab fishers and WotG spammers. I got so pissed when the latter kept invading. No fun what so ever. Then the asshole sent me "u mad bro" messages. Ugh.

Tarkus

Check his post in the SFV R. Mika thread.

You can't use that word like that in here.
That's reta..... Seriously, that must've been a sensitive mod. I read much worse on a daily basis in political threads. People also call others cunts all the time. To me, that's a much more ugly word.

Red Hood

Banned
Yeah, banning him just for that is way too extreme. You could call it "distasteful" or whatever -- which even then is subjective -- but enough for a ban? People call other people idiots, imbeciles, tools, dimwits, and morons all the time, here on GAF as well. What's the difference between the before mentioned and calling someone "retarded". All of them imply a somewhat intellectual disability, rarely meant literally.

Anyway I digress, since we can still see his avatar, I'm assuming it's a temporary ban, so we can enjoy more of his art in a week/month or so.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, banning him just for that is way too extreme. You could call it "distasteful" or whatever -- which even then is subjective -- but enough for a ban? People call other people idiots, imbeciles, tools, dimwits, and morons all the time, here on GAF as well.
Uh, newsflash, you're probably going to get banned if you call other posters that here as well...

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So after having had my PS3 and Dark Souls packed away for almost six months, I finally hooked it again yesterday, and continued my quest to complete this game. I had been stuck on Kalameet, but this time decided to cheat, going online, and reading a bit on the fight. I ended up grinding a bit to equip the Greatshield of Artorias, and also equipped the Mask of the Child for faster stamina-regen and the Ring of Rusted Iron for moving in the water, and I actually killed him on about the fifth try - which felt awesome!

While the fight itself was cool and epic, I did not like how the camera would keep going out of control when you stayed close to him, and I also hated when I tried to roll away from his devasting fire that he does straight underneath him, and you end up rolling into a wall lol. Anyways, the way I beat him, was by heavy tanking, blocking alot of his physical attacks, and using as much as 9 estus-flask. I have been playing the whole game with only 5 estus, as I can never get myself to use consumables that I can not buy in rpgs, so I tend to save the humanities for later, but made an exception here since I had been stuck on his so long.

After beating him, I also killed Gwynevere, which was a joke. Now its only Manus and Gwyn himself left.

Well done on Kalameet!

Humanities are pretty free-flowing with several good farming spots, no need to put them in the 'too good to use' pile. You can kindle bonfires up to 20 Estus flasks btw if you didn't know. It sounds like you've fought Pinwheel which is how you get the rite of kindling that allows you to do that. Will come in handy for Manus! Also iirc there's no water in the Kalameet boss area that requires use of the rusted iron ring.

Morfeo

Well done on Kalameet!

Humanities are pretty free-flowing with several good farming spots, no need to put them in the 'too good to use' pile. You can kindle bonfires up to 20 Estus flasks btw if you didn't know. It sounds like you've fought Pinwheel which is how you get the rite of kindling that allows you to do that. Will come in handy for Manus! Also iirc there's no water in the Kalameet boss area that requires use of the rusted iron ring.

Thanks! Yeah, I am always like this in rpgs, in every Final Fantasy, I end with my inventory full og megalixirs and stuff like that :) Anyways, there is water on the ground with Kalameet, but maybe its just for the visuals? If so, guess I wasted a ring :(

I did beat Pinwheel yeah. like I said, I only have Manus and Gwyn yet. Guess its on to DS2 after that!

Morfeo

Just beat Manus on my second try. By using Mask of the Child and Ring of Cloranthy, I was able to always have enough stamina for both offense and defense, and combined with 20 estus flasks (i used 8), the battle went pretty smooth. Kalameet was way harder. Anyways, only Gwyn left, almost sad to soon be finished with this.

Booshka

There are more than half a dozen new games I want to play in my Steam library and yet I've spent the last couple of weeks replaying this game three times back to back with three different builds. Dark Souls has to be my most replayed game, for some reason it just refuses to get old.

My three characters: A Zweihander/Claymore strongman, a Mage with no magic, and a lightweight flippy guy with no shield.
screenshot_2015_11_11_12_23_45_by_realghostvids-d9g971t.jpg

Eastern Leggings are best leggings.

What Server have you been playing on? I've been on Luxembourg. Gonna level a character to 70 and try out some PvPvE runs, hoping for more random action around that SL.

Been playing at SL 120 in Township and getting the same duelists over and over, doing pretty well and having an okay time, but Random Souls is best Souls imo.

Add me on Steam if you are playing regularly, hook up for some co op or whatever.

Oh and this happened last night. PvP watchdog didn't catch this dude with a remarkably modded Soul Level, took me like a dozen Hornet Greatclub Backstabs to crack him open. Then all these souls popped out.

365233C74C7FEBFC0DD7E86BAD1FEDC9540D415F

Just beat Ornstein & Smough a little earlier, ended up summoning Solaire to assist but aside from some distraction in the first stage he didn't do much through the second stage against Ornstein.

I have passed the point I was at when I previously played on consoles and while I have seen bits and pieces of what is ahead in Giant Bomb videos or forum chatter, I do not have the familiarity of well tread land and it is an exhilarating feeling!

strafer

Oh and this happened last night. PvP watchdog didn't catch this dude with a remarkably modded Soul Level, took me like a dozen Hornet Greatclub Backstabs to crack him open. Then all these souls popped out.

365233C74C7FEBFC0DD7E86BAD1FEDC9540D415F

Looks like From doesn't give a fuck about cheating.

*opens cheat engine*

Bulk_Rate

What SL?

Top Bottom