• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Korosenai

are you planning for pvp or pve? i guess it depends how you want to play. if i was pvping with that i would take great magic barrier, sunlight blade, possibly a heal if you want to be a douche, great combustion/black flame. i guess think about what spells you'll ultimately be using though since attunement is a 'bigger' commitment than some stats since it takes a few just to get something you might not use often

Yeah that's why i'm going to focus on attunement and faith last after everything else is done and leveled up.

Yeah that's why i'm going to focus on attunement and faith last after everything else is done and leveled up.

great magic barrier, WOTG, and sunlight/darkmoon blade are amazing spells for sure, and you can't go wrong with a pyro. but if i was just playing pve WOTG isn't worth it at all, GMB kind of depends. at high level throwing on GMB is one of the best buffs you can get for a legit duel, but if you're playing people who don't actually duel, it can be a little more useless

The best part is that there are so many ways to play it. My first time I did a quality build, so for my second character I did a pure sorcerer (which is kind of OP). Then I tried starting a pure dex build, and now I'm thinking of a no-shield character....

It's awesome to be able to go straight from the start of the game to killing queelag, after spending so long on your first playthrough getting there (w/ the master key I mean).

It's not even that. The world of Dark Souls is consistent and cohesive, it manages to so fascinating that I can't help but explore it, even though it's very likely what I'd find would likely kill me.

While most here would say that the appeal of DaS would be defeating the bosses, the game appeals to me because I like finding weird items and areas, it's like going on a road trip!

Korosenai

Should I be using the ring of favor and protection? So far I've been using the wolf ring and havels ring, didn't realize until just now how good the ring of fap is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What is that supposed to mean? That the DS1 OT thread is the community thread to talk about everything related to the Dark Souls (and maybe even Bloodborne) series?
You asked for a Dark Souls community thread. This is the thread.

You didn't say "Souls series", you wrote "Dark Souls". There isn't a Soulsborne series community thread right now.

pixxxelz

Ok so I was messing around with the dragon stone head yesterday and I "accidentally" attacked frampt, he got pissed at me and now he's gone..
I know I can access the place where the Lord vessel is without him (I'm only missing the witch of izalith soul) but am I going to miss anything by completing the game without him?

Ok so I was messing around with the dragon stone head yesterday and I "accidentally" attacked frampt, he got pissed at me and now he's gone..
I know I can access the place where the Lord vessel is without him (I'm only missing the witch of izalith soul) but am I going to miss anything by completing the game without him?
Nothing. You can't feed him any stuff is all. (Admittedly that can be useful, i.e. 1 green shard = 5 regular).

Guys,
I've been strugling for quite a while with this one, just recently picked it up again and after a lot of tries managed to beat second boss.

Right now I'm lvl 17 and have uppgraded STR, VIT, DEX and a few other stuff that I can remember. I think I chose warrior at the start but am not sure.

So right now
I got burned by this red dragon and that not being enough big guy waits for me on the other side of the bridge :)

I try and use the shield and light attack with Longsword, but damn it is hard for me. Any tips on what stats to prefer and general combat tips?
Also how do I use magic? Would love to be able to at least pull stuff from a range, right now I'm "body pulling", but it would be nice if I could at least weaken some foes before they arrive close to me.

That would be all for now I guess, hope I get better soon

Right now I'm lvl 17 and have uppgraded STR, VIT, DEX and a few other stuff that I can remember. I think I chose warrior at the start but am not sure.
Class doesn't matter, so don't worry about class, it just detemines your starting gear - all classes gear is available as loot in game. Also look at leveling endurance which ups your stamina (VERY important for every action your character takes) and equipment load.

So right now
I got burned by this red dragon and that not being enough big guy waits for me on the other side of the bridge :)
You can go under the bridge to avoid the dragon. There is a set of stairs halfway across the bridge, go down and explore for an important shortcut if you haven't already.
It's possible to take out the dragon now but you would need a shitload of arrows, unlikely you would survive melee.

I don't know what the spoiler means, do you mean the Black Knight at the top of the tower? You can also avoid him for now if you lilke.

I try and use the shield and light attack with Longsword, but damn it is hard for me. Any tips on what stats to prefer and general combat tips?
The best combat tip I can give is STAMINA MANAGEMENT. Never let the green bar deplete completely. If you block an enemy attack and you have no stamina you will be guard broken and open to attack. If you can swing your sword 4 times on a full stamina bar, only do 3 attacks and save that little bit extra for evasion (backstep or roll etc).

Just as important: UPGRADE YOUR WEAPON. Any weapon is viable to play through the game, but upgrade it asap. You can buy upgrade materials from blacksmiths or they drop off enemies, this should be your main priority as soon as you find a blacksmith and have a few titanite shards, it will make a HUGE difference.

Also two handing your weapon gives a damage boost to attacks, but obviously blocking with a weapon you take some damage, so learn to switch between two and one handed until it's second nature.

Also how do I use magic? Would love to be able to at least pull stuff from a range, right now I'm "body pulling", but it would be nice if I could at least weaken some foes before they arrive close to me.
You need a catalyst to cast the spell and at least one attunement slot to equip a spell. Attune spells at a bonfire, if you have no attunement slots, level up the attunement stat until you have one.

Have you explored the area under Firelink Shrine down the lift? There is a basic blacksmith there who sells a catalyst and basic soul arrow spells. You will also find a catalyst for free very shortly, but they are cheap any way.

I don't know what the spoiler means, do you mean the Black Knight at the top of the tower? You can also avoid him for now if you lilke.

Just as important: UPGRADE YOUR WEAPON. Any weapon is viable to play through the game, but upgrade it asap. You can buy upgrade materials from blacksmiths or they drop off enemies, this should be your main priority as soon as you find a blacksmith and have a few titanite shards, it will make a HUGE difference.

Have you explored the area under Firelink Shrine down the lift? There is a basic blacksmith there who sells a catalyst and basic soul arrow spells. You will also find a catalyst for free very shortly, but they are cheap any way.

Regarding spoiler I meant
the dragon is waiting for me at the other end of the bridge now and if I try and go that way he burns me

I played this like a year ago and am not sure if I have found any blacksmith, can I hop between fires? Or do I have to go all the way back. Oh and those rats are bitches

You can warp between bonfires, but not until about halfway through the game. It's a very short way back to Firelink, but if you push on there is also another blacksmith not too far ahead. Your call. If you don't sit at any bonfires on the way, use a homeward bone to instantly warp back to the last bonfire you sat at. There are a few of them for free in a chest near Firelink if you look around, and you can buy some from various merchants.

Yes the dragon is guarding the other end of the bridge. You can either a) go underneath where the rats are or b) bait the dragon to land and then run by it. Stand at either side of the bridge where the flame breath can't get you (in front of the stairs, you are blocked by the small alcove wall) and eventually he will land, just bolt past it.

What about all those messages on the floor? A lot of "Praise the Sun" and "Here is it" or "jump here" although I'm pretty sure I would die if I jump there :)

Can you sell items?

Got to some kind of
Cathedral or something with Big fella at the far end, I'm preparing mentally to fight him and of course some thing is shooting at me from above :p
It is crazy how they find ways to humble you :p

Still haven't found a blacksmith but I'll keep trucking

Kieli

Can you sell items?

Got to some kind of
Cathedral or something with Big fella at the far end, I'm preparing mentally to fight him and of course some thing is shooting at me from above :p

Yes, you can sell items. But the return you get is so low that you may as well grind souls instead.

Can you sell items?

Got to some kind of

The blacksmith is so close of that location, you can sell stuff later but not worth it

Oh man. The Lordvessel and bonfire warping makes such a difference especially after smashing my head against the wall that is(was) O&S. Was about to walk away from the game for a moment there hahaha.

Question for those in the know; I ascended my Utichanga into the chaos blade. Maybe a mistake for someone who has as lil humanity as I tend to have most of the time. I'm assuming I can disenchant it at the blacksmith in Anor Londo, but my question is, if I do so will I get the soul of queelag back? Cause I'm thinking I'd be better of with queelag's fury sword.

Thanks in advance!

Mistel

Banned
Question for those in the know; I ascended my Utichanga into the chaos blade. Maybe a mistake for someone who has as lil humanity as I tend to have most of the time. I'm assuming I can disenchant it at the blacksmith in Anor Londo, but my question is, if I do so will I get the soul of queelag back? Cause I'm thinking I'd be better of with queelag's fury sword.
No to both of those questions you can't gain it back. You can purchase another uchi from Shiva however.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck me, I got to Blightown and died 20 times to the first orges and just logged off in disgust. I quit the game last year so I'm rusty as hell and clueless about the game in general (I have finished Bloodborne though so I get the combat) and it just feels like I'm really weak, I'm using a Battle Axe +4 and some shield which should be OK but I tickle the orges balls even with a backstab.

I'm playing on PC with DSFix and the dragon fight was dropping from 60 - 35ish all the time, is that normal with a 3570k 4.4GHz, GTX 970? I've since turned off AO and lowered the internal res to 900p from 1080p and it's 60fps solid ATM, but I won't know until the next boss. I also had the add up firing at me constantly which made the fight much harder, plus I went in blind so didn't know the strat.

Fuck me, I got to Blightown and died 20 times to the first orges and just logged off in disgust. I quit the game last year so I'm rusty as hell and clueless about the game in general (I have finished Bloodborne though so I get the combat) and it just feels like I'm really weak, I'm using a Battle Axe +4 and some shield which should be OK but I tickle the orges balls even with a backstab.

I'm playing on PC with DSFix and the dragon fight was dropping from 60 - 35ish all the time, is that normal with a 3570k 4.4GHz, GTX 970? I've since turned off AO and lowered the internal res to 900p from 1080p and it's 60fps solid ATM, but I won't know until the next boss. I also had the add up firing at me constantly which made the fight much harder, plus I went in blind so didn't know the strat.

What level are you? You can run past the trolls or ogres or whatever. Have you already rung the first bell? Explored darkroot?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What level are you? You can run past the trolls or ogres or whatever. Have you already rung the first bell? Explored darkroot?

Don't think so [edit: Actually I seem to remember I did after checking it was after the boss], and not really, I remember I have been to Darkroot before I quit but I didn't do much there. I'd have no idea how to get back there either, where's ma fast travel. And without checking I think I'm level 33, does that sound right?

Don't think so [edit: Actually I seem to remember I did after checking it was after the boss], and not really, I remember I have been to Darkroot before I quit but I didn't do much there. I'd have no idea how to get back there either, where's ma fast travel. And without checking I think I'm level 33, does that sound right?

I think the level's fine, where have you been putting your stat points? So you've already beaten the gargoyle fight right?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think the level's fine, where have you been putting your stat points? So you've already beaten the gargoyle fight right?

Yeah, I've done Taurus Demon, Asylum Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Moonlit Butterfly & Gaping Dragon. Even split of HP, Stamina and Strength.

Yeah, I've done Taurus Demon, Asylum Demon, Bell Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Moonlit Butterfly & Gaping Dragon. Even split of HP, Stamina and Strength.

You're in good shape. Just run past those trolls, they're slow and chances are they will jump off the bridges.

Are you entering blighttown from valley of the drakes or the depths? I much much prefer the former. You skip a lot of crap.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Depths. I'm also worried about the poison dart shitters, I don't have anything to remove it and it applies almost instantly.

The Depths. I'm also worried about the poison dart shitters, I don't have anything to remove it and it applies almost instantly.

The toxic dart throwers don't respawn, FYI, so you only need to kill them once. You can get drops from the tree things in darkroot garden for curing toxic/poison. Or you can find the miracle Remedy inside blighttown IIRC.

If you have the master key you can go in the back way easily. Or you can go in the back way by getting to valley of the drakes from darkroot basin.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest issue ATM is I have completely forgotten where everything is, and with no fast travel back tracking is really difficult. I wouldn't mind going back to the Forest though, apparently the ring you get from the cat really helps in Blightown. I'm going to finish AC: Syndicate then try and give DS1 a real go. I'm trying to convince myself that picking up DS3 day 1 is worth it, it seems better in every way but after quitting DS1 it would be an expensive gamble, less so if DS1 starts to sing for me. Honestly though, my biggest issues with DS1 aren't in DS3 so I think I'd really enjoy it (I gave Bloodborne a 9/10 so I do enjoy the gameplay style).

My biggest issue ATM is I have completely forgotten where everything is, and with no fast travel back tracking is really difficult. I wouldn't mind going back to the Forest though, apparently the ring you get from the cat really helps in Blightown. I'm going to finish AC: Syndicate then try and give DS1 a real go. I'm trying to convince myself that picking up DS3 day 1 is worth it, it seems better in every way but after quitting DS1 it would be an expensive gamble, less so if DS1 starts to sing for me. Honestly though, my biggest issues with DS1 aren't in DS3 so I think I'd really enjoy it (I gave Bloodborne a 9/10 so I do enjoy the gameplay style).

I think there is a spell that instant cure you in that zone or use the green moss (from the darkroot garden) too

My biggest issue ATM is I have completely forgotten where everything is, and with no fast travel back tracking is really difficult. I wouldn't mind going back to the Forest though, apparently the ring you get from the cat really helps in Blightown.
The ring of fog? You'd need to make 3 kills in the forest pvp covenant to get it. I think it would be better going back to the forest to farm the trees for moss if you're having trouble in Blighttown (the female merchant sells them too). I assume you want the ring for dealing with the blowdart guys? 3 or 4 blooming purple moss should see you through, there's more as loot in Blighttown and the blowdart guys can drop them too. By the time you have a few of those you should have more than enough regular purple for dealing with the swamp.

There's no need to cure poison (or even toxic) straight away - poison is slow enough to be almost negligible and with toxic as long as you kill the blowdart guy even if you die yourself they don't respawn so that's progress imo, just chug Estus until you get close then kill them, then use the moss. The Spider shield also blocks toxic completely if you found it in the Depths, iirc the Crystal shield sold by Domnhall also blocks it.

Unai

I think there is a spell that instant cure you in that zone or use the green moss (from the darkroot garden) too

That spell is on the other side of the level. He will only get it when he's leaving or if he re enters the area through the Valley of Drakes.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The ring of fog? You'd need to make 3 kills in the forest pvp covenant to get it. I think it would be better going back to the forest to farm the trees for moss if you're having trouble in Blighttown (the female merchant sells them too). I assume you want the ring for dealing with the blowdart guys? 3 or 4 blooming purple moss should see you through, there's more as loot in Blighttown and the blowdart guys can drop them too. By the time you have a few of those you should have more than enough regular purple for dealing with the swamp.

There's no need to cure poison (or even toxic) straight away - poison is slow enough to be almost negligible and with toxic as long as you kill the blowdart guy even if you die yourself they don't respawn so that's progress imo, just chug Estus until you get close then kill them, then use the moss. The Spider shield also blocks toxic completely if you found it in the Depths, iirc the Crystal shield sold by Domnhall also blocks it.

Yeah, Ring of Fog. And I will go back to the Forest, if there's a fast way back from the Depths bonfire let me know, because I have no idea how to get back there.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, Ring of Fog. And I will go back to the Forest, if there's a fast way back from the Depths bonfire let me know, because I have no idea how to get back there.
Not really other than back out > aqueduct > firelink > parish > garden. You could go forward shortcut > valley > basin > garden however if you think you can manage that.

Korosenai

Trying to find one more boss to help coop, but I can't find anyone anywhere. I'm on xbox level 85, what's a good popular boss I could help coop?

Unai

In my experience is very difficult to coop after O&S because people mix a lot of the boss order. At this level I would say maybe Gwyn, but perhaps it's a bit too soon.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Nah fuck it, quit again. Doing the Hydra mini boss which halves the frame rate, like every other boss for me with DSFix and I'm one head away and fall through the world because why the fuck not put deep water there which looks exactly the same as every other water. Just not worth the hassle, it runs and looks shit for me even with DSFix and it's just frustrating to play. I wish I hadn't bothered with it now because it has put me off DS3 as well :/

EDIT: I've calmed down, my main issue is the frame rate, is it possible to run at 60fps solid or is that just not possible? Bosses keep dropping me to 30fps and so does some particle effects. And I will still get DS3, I just need a Valium refill!

Korosenai

Just beat this game and got the Dark Lord ending.... so good. I rate it a solid 9/10. I still think Bloodborne is better (maybe because it was my first true 'Souls' game) but this game is pretty close to being even with it.

The game world was truly amazing, and I did a couple of hours worth of pvp'ing at the Kiln at the end.... just so good. Wish I had more time to do a proper new game plus before Dark Souls 3 comes out.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice on my journey.... now, on to Dark Souls 3!

edit: Overall it took me 33 hours to beat, and I did skip some stuff like the painted world. I just wanted to make sure I completed the game before Dark Souls 3 came out.

Just beat this game and got the Dark Lord ending.... so good. I rate it a solid 9/10. I still think Bloodborne is better (maybe because it was my first true 'Souls' game) but this game is pretty close to being even with it.

The game world was truly amazing, and I did a couple of hours worth of pvp'ing at the Kiln at the end.... just so good. Wish I had more time to do a proper new game plus before Dark Souls 3 comes out.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice on my journey.... now, on to Dark Souls 3!

edit: Overall it took me 33 hours to beat, and I did skip some stuff like the painted world. I just wanted to make sure I completed the game before Dark Souls 3 came out.

Nice one. BB was also my first souls game, and DS my second. I prefer DS because I like the fantasy setting a lot better, but both are great in their own way. I've always avoided the PVP, just doesn't interest me. Looking forward to DS3 though, my preload is all set. :D

pixxxelz

And man that final boss was amazing! I knew about gwyn before playing the game and I even saw footage of the fight before but I was not expecting it to be this good, I think I liked this boss even more than the first hunter which I didn't think It would be possible 'cause I loved that boss.

I liked the simplicity of the fight, no fancy introduction cut scene, no ohko attacks or anything like that just a duel between two undead, I regret killing him the way I did though but I was disgusted by all the crap I had to go through to defeat bead of chaos before him and I just wanted to get it over with (seriously fuck that boss) I want to fight him again though a real duel this time but with DS3 coming out next week that's gonna have to wait.

Top Bottom