• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

When I say DS controls are unresponsive, I'm talking about the time it takes from [button press] to [action happening]. In most games -- no matter the genre -- you press a button and the action starts before you can remove your finger from the button; DS has such a delay that I can literally (yes, literally. I've tested it) press R1 to attack, completely remove my hand from the controller and tap my table 3 times; the animation doesn't start until the 1st tap and doesn't finish until the 3rd.
A Black Knight dropped his sword when I returned to the Asylum and I just cut down all things in my path from then on, I'd knock 10% health off of bosses with it -- thank you Mr. Black Knight. :)

Big heavy weapons are slow. Slight, small and slashy weapons are fast.

It's not the speed of the movements I take issue with, it's that when I attack, or dodge, or sprint, and it takes at least half-a-second for the animation to even start -- that is the problem and that is the "unresponsiveness" I'm referring to.

I can use a slow-ass Greatsword in Dragon's Dogma no problem because when I press the button to attack/jump/evade, it does that action instantly.

It's not the speed of the movements I take issue with, it's that when I attack, or dodge, or sprint, and it takes at least half-a-second for the animation to even start -- that is the problem and that is the "unresponsiveness" I'm referring to.

I can use a slow-ass Greatsword in Dragon's Dogma no problem because when I press the button to attack/jump/evade, it does that action instantly.

Half-second doesn't sound right to me. I was playing last night. I'll take a look this evening.

What's your equip load percentage?

Unai

That sounds like a problem on your end. The game definitely doesn't take that long at all.

Half-second doesn't sound right to me. I was playing last night. I'll take a look this evening.

What's your equip load percentage?

Don't know exactly, but I can roll at medium speed with Havel's ring equipped

That sounds like a problem on your end. The game definitely doesn't take that long at all.

I don't see how it could be on my end; 2 different TVs, 2 different controllers, same stuff. Maybe it's like how some people can easily notice FPS dips and screen tearing and some people don't?

It's not unplayable, of course -- and I've adjusted to it -- I just see and feel it with every action taken. I wish I could've played it on PC but mine died last summer.

Unai

When you say "half a second" you are exaggerating, right? I wouldn't play even a turn-based RPG with half a second of delay, let alone Dark Souls. That's literally unplayable.

When you say "half a second" you are exaggerating, right? I wouldn't play even a turn-based RPG with half a second of delay, let alone Dark Souls. That's literally unplayable.

I'm sure it's not .5s, but it is extremely noticeable to me. I can fire up Revengeance and perfect-block Monsoon like nothing, so it's not my reaction-time dwindling.

Like, an enemy/boss just starts to wind up their attack > I press the button to dodge before they start swinging > I get hit because it takes to long to start the action. Same with sprinting, I'm jogging along and decide to sprint, and it feels like it takes a full second before the character actually starts sprinting.

Mistel

Banned
Like, an enemy/boss just starts to wind up their attack > I press the button to dodge before they start swinging > I get hit because it takes to long to start the action. Same with sprinting, I'm jogging along and decide to sprint, and it feels like it takes a full second before the character actually starts sprinting.
Are you fat rolling?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, sounds like his TV or screen has huge input lag or something. And he played the whole game like that? o_O

Look at the gif Cannon Goose posted, Ryanardo. Do you still see the delay?

Also, did you play on the PS3? I wonder if you played an unpatched version or something...

It was the combat in DD that turned me off the game, I just couldn't get in to it at all.

I have to agree with Morrigan, DS1 is the definition of responsiveness to me.
Where as DD had me completely dumbfounded the whole time I was playing as to whether I was doing any damage or not to an enemy. It's still in the back of my mind to give it another go because I really wanted to like it going in, but I've tried on about 3 or 4 separate occasions to get in to it and I always give up a few hours in.
Sounds like you were playing DD wrong, too. ;)

Kazdane

Weapons, it depends on your stats (for bonus damage scaling) and the moveset. If you like the moveset of the BKS, no reason to switch to something else, any weapon in Souls can see you through the game.

Stone Armour, I think it's bettered by a couple of other sets off the top of my head
Havels and Giant set
but it's splitting hairs imo. What can be more important than pure physical defense for some fights is elemental or status resistances, so it's often better to mix and match armour sets to get a balance of defenses rather than just go full tank mode with a the heaviest set you have - Unless you like tanking everything, I always prefer evasion to defense so always use the lighter armours with maybe one piece of something like Stone armour.

If you haven't tried moving around in gear weighing less than 25% of your total equipment load, give it a try - the movement speed and rolling is far better for dodging.

Oh, I think I'll definitely give a shot to lighter armor then, I'd really like being to able to dodge better

Sounds like you were playing DD wrong, too. ;)
You're probably right. Honestly I don't think I knew how to play it. I tried melee and it just seemed like a mash-fest - I really don't like games where you just hammer the attack buttons and it seemed like that is what I had to do. I couldn't see any life drain on enemy life bars - like visually it didn't make sense to me that I was hitting enemies, but the lifebar didn't drain in a logical way the way they do in Souls.

And when I chose magic (which I'm naturally drawn to do in such games) I just didn't get what was happening. The whole pawn thing was confusing too, spending half the time resurrecting them. It just didn't click with me in general - but I've been dipping in and out of LobosJr's playthrough on YT and it has made me want to give it another go since there's so much of the game I haven't seen - I only reached the first really big town.

/offtopic, sorry!

Are you fat rolling?

Nah, mid-rolling, but even when I was testing the controls with nothing on, it's still there.

Man, sounds like his TV or screen has huge input lag or something. And he played the whole game like that? o_O

Look at the gif Cannon Goose posted, Ryanardo. Do you still see the delay?

Also, did you play on the PS3? I wonder if you played an unpatched version or something...)

TV's fine AFAIK, no problems in any other games; and I tried it on my PC monitor when I first played it, and it was still there. That gif looks fine to me.

Yeah, I pulled out the PS3 to play but made sure to DL any patches before playing, then played offline. If you want to test something, while jogging into sprinting, I can hold O and as I press it say "One thousand one" before the character starts sprinting.

This reminded me of Souls-

VF2%20DARK%20SOULS.gif

I can hold O and as I press it say "One thousand one" before the character starts sprinting.
Try doing the same with <25% equipment load.

Also (and I know this is a stupid question), but you are using weapons that you have the starts to weild? There are unique clumsy, slow animations when using a weapon you don't have the strength to hold.

Try doing the same with <25% equipment load.

Also (and I know this is a stupid question), but you are using weapons that you have the starts to weild? There are unique clumsy, slow animations when using a weapon you don't have the strength to hold.

It was the same even if I was naked, there's a noticeable delay with every action.

Yeah, my build had all points going into vit/str/dex, ended with 40ish in all three and used Short sword > Spear > Black Knight Sword.

Mistel

Banned
How do talismans and faith work? Do i need to level up faith to make miracles more powerful?
You do need to raise FTH to increase the scaling of the MAG adjust for your talisman the higher that is the more damage you do. Using it you just equip what you have then use the talisman if you've got the stats for it.

Korosenai

You do need to raise FTH to increase the scaling of the MAG adjust for your talisman the higher that is the more damage you do. Using it you just equip what you have then use the talisman if you've got the stats for it.

Would 30 faith be high enough for as strength faith build, or would it even be worth investing just up to 30?

Korosenai

It was 2 am last night, and I found two people to play with during all of anor londo, and I beat Ornstein and Smough with them. It was my first time ever playing them and I wanted to do it solo, but it was late and I just wanted to get the area done.... I feel sad now that I didn't get to beat them solo for my first time. I feel like a scrub.

At least i'll be forced to do the four kings solo soon to atone for my sins :(

No shame in any of your game Koro, dead bosses are dead bosses in these games to me. There isn't enough cheese in the world for shooting dragons dead from afar, for example.

Return the favor and help others beat OS, atone now through jolly cooperation!

It seems like there's a certain kind of pride in the souls community in not summoning for bosses if you want to do it the "real" way (or so I've understood it but I might be wrong on this) but to me summons and invasions are definitely big parts of the games and I've always loved that feeling of cooperating, both helping others and getting help, with both going through areas and fighting bosses. Cooping throughout all of AL sounds amazing too. I'm personally looking forward to doing a lot of jolly co-op in DS3.

Of course there's a feeling of acomplishment in doing something by yourself, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. My first playthrough is always offline/solo, but after that in DS1 I was all about co-op and pvp in Souls, I think it's one of the huge pulls of the series.

Play the game however you like, the real way is however you feel like playing as long as it's in the game there's no right or wrong - this also plays in to the old discussions of no Estus chugging during invasions etc, play the way you enjoy the most.

Korosenai

No shame in any of your game Koro, dead bosses are dead bosses in these games to me. There isn't enough cheese in the world for shooting dragons dead from afar, for example.

Return the favor and help others beat OS, atone now through jolly cooperation!
And see, this is the problem for me. Coop in Souls games are just so fun! I love playing coop over solo.

You can always come back and kill them again in NG+ hehe!

Oh, I will for sure in NG+

So, I just finished the game for the first time. I think I only summoned once throughout my playthrough. Rest of the game I played solo.

I thought the game was really fun all the way through, honestly. There aren't many games that give such a sense of adventure, discovery, and danger. Definitely my favorite aspect.

I am really glad I gave this a chance. Now one of my favorites.

So, I just finished the game for the first time. I think I only summoned once throughout my playthrough. Rest of the game I played solo.

I thought the game was really fun all the way through, honestly. There aren't many games that give such a sense of adventure, discovery, and danger. Definitely my favorite aspect.

I am really glad I gave this a chance. Now one of my favorites.

The best part is that there are so many ways to play it. My first time I did a quality build, so for my second character I did a pure sorcerer (which is kind of OP). Then I tried starting a pure dex build, and now I'm thinking of a no-shield character....

It's awesome to be able to go straight from the start of the game to killing queelag, after spending so long on your first playthrough getting there (w/ the master key I mean).

my friend and i were trying to coop (same level) on xbox last night and man, we could only get together so freaking rarely, i swear it took over an hour for the first time, trying all the techniques i remembered. i know it was always a pain in the butt, but man i never remembered it being that bad!

Korosenai

What's a good stopping point for Vitality and Endurance? I'm going for around a SL 120 build, and I currently have 35 vitality and 30 endurance. It seems like a pretty good stopping point for me, but just wondering if I should level either up any more.

Mistel

Banned
What's a good stopping point for Vitality and Endurance? I'm going for around a SL 120 build, and I currently have 35 vitality and 30 endurance. It seems like a pretty good stopping point for me, but just wondering if I should level either up any more.
That's fine for a SL 120 build, you could go to 40 END if you really need it but I doubt you would.

Korosenai

Another post about my build and suggestions but you guys give out great help and tips so I have to ask

This is my current build
4X8hHP8.png

and this is what I eventually want it to be
w2JEEKO.png

Any tips or suggestions on what I should do different or change, or does it look fine? The second build is all based off tips and suggestions you guys have already given me. The attunement and faith are just for a couple miracles to do every now and then, but strength is the main thing behind this build.

Another post about my build and suggestions but you guys give out great help and tips so I have to ask

This is my current build
4X8hHP8.png

and this is what I eventually want it to be
w2JEEKO.png

Any tips or suggestions on what I should do different or change, or does it look fine? The second build is all based off tips and suggestions you guys have already given me. The attunement and faith are just for a couple miracles to do every now and then, but strength is the main thing behind this build.

are you planning for pvp or pve? i guess it depends how you want to play. if i was pvping with that i would take great magic barrier, sunlight blade, possibly a heal if you want to be a douche, great combustion/black flame. i guess think about what spells you'll ultimately be using though since attunement is a 'bigger' commitment than some stats since it takes a few just to get something you might not use often

Top Bottom