• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

After I found on google what this was.. I'm not noticing any change.

Does it appears in a specific area? I was in the darkroot basin bonfire, the one before valley of drakes.

You need to be into ng+ to see any difference from it. You get added black phantom (red) enemies which have more health and do more damage than regular enemies.

wiibomb

oh I see then.

I'm trying to get to Sif, but I haven't, I got severely distracted by the Forest Hunter covenant since I can get a lot of souls with just one kill. They are still very difficult to kill, and that's if I can kill the host.

also, a red phantom killed me while I ran towards the host of another world, didn't know that was possible and I felt that was such a dirty move

Doing NG+ for the first time now. Absolutely love this game. I tried to do pretty much anything possible in my first run - completing quests, getting most weapons, and farming twinkling and chunks quite a bit to upgrade my stuff, so I'm around lvl 100 now. But keeping my vitality at 15 seems to have made NG+ a reasonable challenge. Either you kill shit fast or you die fast. Just got one shotted by Capra lol.

wiibomb

How worth is to upgrade an armor? After defeating Nito I'm starting to think that's why I'm getting so much damage in the duke's archives after being at level 77.

Added defense is never a bad thing, but it's really only worth upgrading armour if you're flush with souls or upgrade materials. Thinking about wasting chunks on armour upgrading makes me feel queasy.

Enemies in Dukes hit hard regardless, especially when they've been buffed by the Channelers - if you notice the Channelers do a little dance, after which the surrounding enemies have a blue-ish white aura like stink lines around them, it means they've been buffed so it's always a priority to take out the Channelers asap.

How worth is to upgrade an armor? After defeating Nito I'm starting to think that's why I'm getting so much damage in the duke's archives after being at level 77.

The crystal guys deals a lot of damage, a good defense gear can helps you absorb some of the damage but wont make you a tank, so yep, worth it

Replaying this in my "shake out the cobwebs for a new installment run" and playing DEX for the first time ever. Not having the combo of power, poise, and armor im having to get used to, but parrying or sneaking up and shanking every other humanoid is fun.

Fighting Kalameet is amazing. One of my favorite parts of the whole game. So so good. Every boss in the DLC is so on point.

So Four Kings on NG+ was a pain. The first 5 times or so I couldn't even manage to kill the first before two more spawned. Only after combining PW with SLB/DMB was I able to (barely) get by. I thought O&S with low vit would be the hardest part of NG+ but Four Kings were wayyy harder for me

Also just did my first invasion ever and felt super bad afterwards

wiibomb

Just wanted to let you know guys that I just finished the game, thank you a lot to all of you who helped me with all those bothersome and often stupid questions.

I loaded the save data from before Gwyn because I want to visit Oolacile before I move on to Dark Souls 2.

Also, do any of you have a good youtube channel to check lore and design of this First Dark souls? I've been watching a lot of VaatiVidya lore videos, but I still feel I could check out more content from others

What armor are you currently using?

sorry for the late reply, I was using the paladin armor I found in the same boss room, the gravelord altar was it?

in any case I didn't upgrade any armor in the whole game, just got a real git gud and managed to finish Nito

He spammed a lot the shockwave that killed all the minions

Arjen

Just wanted to let you know guys that I just finished the game, thank you a lot to all of you who helped me with all those bothersome and often stupid questions.

I loaded the save data from before Gwyn because I want to visit Oolacile before I move on to Dark Souls 2.

Also, do any of you have a good youtube channel to check lore and design of this First Dark souls? I've been watching a lot of VaatiVidya lore videos, but I still feel I could check out more content from others

sorry for the late reply, I was using the paladin armor I found in the same boss room, the gravelord altar was it?

in any case I didn't upgrade any armor in the whole game, just got a real git gud and managed to finish Nito

He spammed a lot the shockwave that killed all the minions

Check out Epic Name Bro. He has the best Darks Souls videos imho.

Picked this up about 2 years ago for $20, played up to the bridge with the dragon and shelved it. Hated everything about it: bad combat, bad animations, input lag that makes Killzone 2 seem lightning fast. Couldn't comprehend how anyone could like this.

After playing, loving, and platinuming Bloodborne, and watching streams of DS3, I figured I'd give it another shot.

I don't love it -- don't even like it much, really -- but I am steadily progressing and somewhat enjoying it now. I don't want to swim to Japan and shit on Miyazaki's head anymore, so that's a plus. :p

I'm lvl63 and just beat Ornstein and Smough on my first try. I assume I'm overleveled because I was expecting to get viciously and savagely slaughtered, from all I've heard of them over the years -- and if I am, good -- Anything that makes this easier is welcomed.

Man, this game would be amazing (and probably a cake-walk) if I could just wholesale copy/paste my Mystic Knight from Dragon's Dogma into it.

Out of all the creepy, disgusting and horrific things in this series (Bloodborne especially), nothing actually disturbs me and makes me feel uncomfortable...

Except for FRAAMPT!

Gah! I didn't even want to google a picture for this post because I can't stand his buck-toothed, bunnyear-cheeked, oddly well-spoken face staring at me. lol

Quick question: Does DSFix interfere with online functionality in the PC version? Do I need another mod? I've played about 6 hours and haven't seen any online activity-- no summon signs or player messages. I haven't played in a couple years, just wondering if I missed a memo about online stuff.

Quick question: Does DSFix interfere with online functionality in the PC version? Do I need another mod? I've played about 6 hours and haven't seen any online activity-- no summon signs or player messages. I haven't played in a couple years, just wondering if I missed a memo about online stuff.
It does not as far as I'm aware of. Are you on a first playthrough or NG+ ? I found that a lot of the PC DS crowd is beyond their first, I found much more summons and signs on NG+. Just an observation, but I believe it's the nature of the player base at this point in time.

Everything about it is off putting and insanely creepy. Bunny ears, oddly stilted voice, a perverse joy in finding a potential
Chosen Undead
, its giddiness at dispatching your mission, strange hints of horrors to come...

I'm still not convinced it operates for entirely selfish reasons. Absolute perfection in its grey morality.

Quikies83

I've been having the same problem since opting out of the beta for DS. I was seeing player messages, phantoms, and getting connected to a lot of nodes. Nothing since switching game from beta version.

I'm thinking about finally playing dark souls after I bought it in during a Steam sale back in 2014. I loved Bloodborne after a while, never finished Demons Souls (got bored halfway through), and I keep hearing Dark Souls is the best of the souls series.

Thanks, guys-- guess it's just how it is. I'm on my first playthrough, but I'm surprised. I thought people would be hyped up for Dark Souls III and revisiting the series but it's a complete ghost town in the PC version. Apparently it's so dead there aren't even any player messages. (Guess it's up to me to carry on the torch and leave an "amazing chest ahead" in Anor Londo.)

edit: I did a little research. Online is working but it looks like the players are all split up. The first split is beta players vs non-beta players. Within that, players are split according to region. So, apparently, I can only interact with other non-beta New York steam server players.

Korosenai

Currently rocking a strength build on my first play through of the game (currently at Sens Fortress), but I kind of want to transition to a Strength/Faith build like I used for Dark Souls 2. What should I start leveling up to transition to that stage, and what's a good stopping point for Strength, Vitality, and Endurance?

Screenshot-Original.png

Thanks, guys-- guess it's just how it is. I'm on my first playthrough, but I'm surprised. I thought people would be hyped up for Dark Souls III and revisiting the series but it's a complete ghost town in the PC version. Apparently it's so dead there aren't even any player messages. (Guess it's up to me to carry on the torch and leave an "amazing chest ahead" in Anor Londo.)

edit: I did a little research. Online is working but it looks like the players are all split up. The first split is beta players vs non-beta players. Within that, players are split according to region. So, apparently, I can only interact with other non-beta New York steam server players.

There are a ton of people playing on Xbox 360/One, it's very surprising actually.

MUnited83

For you.
Best DEX weapon on early game? I've been using the Falchion so far and it served me well, but it does absolute shit damage against Sif.

Mistel

Banned
Currently rocking a strength build on my first play through of the game (currently at Sens Fortress), but I kind of want to transition to a Strength/Faith build like I used for Dark Souls 2. What should I start leveling up to transition to that stage, and what's a good stopping point for Strength, Vitality, and Endurance?
STR at 50 VIG and END at 40 then just ATN and FTH until 50 each should be decent enough. A STR/FTH build is a bit different to 2 as you lack scaling off infusions so FTH is miracles only.
Best DEX weapon on early game? I've been using the Falchion so far and it served me well, but it does absolute shit damage against Sif.
Either Uchi, Murakumo, Great Scythe are arguably the best early DEX weapons maybe a Estoc or Ricard's Rapier if you're feeling adventurous.

Korosenai

STR at 50 VIG and END at 40 then just ATN and FTH until 50 each should be decent enough. A STR/FTH build is a bit different to 2 as you lack scaling off infusions so FTH is miracles only.

Either Uchi, Murakumo, Great Scythe are arguably the best early DEX weapons maybe a Estoc or Ricard's Rapier if you're feeling adventurous.

What are some good strength weapons for a pure strength build or a strength/faith build?

Mistel

Banned
Is the Zweihander or Claymore any good?
They are Zwei = a Greatsword sans thrust attacks other than that they're identical. A Claymore is very good in general although it's not really got some of the scaling like a pure STR weapon has other than the Greatsword all of those I suggested have at least A STR scaling at max.

Flame linked.

A Black Knight dropped his sword when I returned to the Asylum and I just cut down all things in my path from then on, I'd knock 10% health off of bosses with it -- thank you Mr. Black Knight. :)

I defeated most bosses on the first try except for:

Asylum and Taurus Demons
- it's been over 2 years since I beat them, but IIRC 2 and 4, respectively.
Capra Demon
- 3, only difficult because of the tiny space that makes the camera flip out.
Gaping Dragon
- 6, 1st time because "WTF do I do?" 2-5, I could not bait it into it's charge, it just kept chasing and I'd run out of stamina and get hit > heal > run > tire > repeat.
Moonlight Butterfly
- 3, didn't have arrows and didn't want to run back and buy any.
Stray Demon
- 3, stupid magic crap.
Gravelord Nito
- 1, framerate tanked and I couldn't see shit cap'n.
Demon Firesage
- 2, got stunlocked once and was too greedy the other.
Gwyn
- 2, 1st time was hit > chug > hit till death. 2nd, tried rolling. Undead Burg Hollows are harder to parry than him! :p

Game was good, not great. If I were to review it, I'd give it a 5/10 (on a scale that actually uses all 10 numbers!). It has far too many technical problems to go any higher; plus, the combat is just not good to me, it's serviceable at best. Dragon's Dogma beats it in every category, Melee/Archery/Magic, DD wins.

I am glad I finally completed it though, I bought it because of the art/atmosphere and DAMN does it deliver!

I'll definitely get DS3 now, and probably wait until the PS4 version of DS2 drops to $20-25.

Mistel

Banned
Game was good, not great. If I were to review it, I'd give it a 5/10 (on a scale that actually uses all 10 numbers!). It has far too many technical problems to go any higher; plus, the combat is just not good to me, it's serviceable at best. Dragon's Dogma beats it in every category, Melee/Archery/Magic, DD wins..
Dragon's Dogma combat is very different to that of Dark Souls although there are some similarities they are few and far between if anything Dragons Dogma is probably close to Monster Hunter combat wise.

Beat Seath, Four Kings(cool design), and Nito all in one day. Thanks Moonlight Greatsword.

I can sort of see why some wouldn't like the game after O&S. Crystal Cave is kind of short, but I could see why since you've had to go through Duke's Archives to get there. Tomb of the Giants has a cool concept, but it doesn't leave much room to fight the larger enemies. New Londo is probably one of my favorite places in the game though.

Luckily I can skip most of Lost Izalith. Thanks to the Daughters of Chaos covenant.

Whatever, game is still great.

Dragon's Dogma combat is very different to that of Dark Souls although there are some similarities they are few and far between if anything Dragons Dogma is probably close to Monster Hunter combat wise.
DD is better because of one simple thing:

Responsiveness.

I always feel in control in DD; the character does what I want, when I want.

I never felt in control at any point in DS, button press > thing happening, takes waaaaaay too long, that's just terrible design to me. You can have slow, methodical, committed gameplay with fast and responsive controls.

It all feels like artificial difficulty to me. I have more trouble fighting the controls and camera than any enemy in the game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Responsiveness.

I never felt in control at any point in DS, button press > thing happening, takes waaaaaay too long, that's just terrible design to me. You can have slow, methodical, committed gameplay with fast and responsive controls.

It all feels like artificial difficulty to me. I have more trouble fighting the controls and camera than any enemy in the game.
This post is so wrong it hurts. Dark Souls controls are 100% responsive and do exactly as you tell them.

It was the combat in DD that turned me off the game, I just couldn't get in to it at all.

I have to agree with Morrigan, DS1 is the definition of responsiveness to me.
Where as DD had me completely dumbfounded the whole time I was playing as to whether I was doing any damage or not to an enemy. It's still in the back of my mind to give it another go because I really wanted to like it going in, but I've tried on about 3 or 4 separate occasions to get in to it and I always give up a few hours in.

Kazdane

So, I decided to start playing this again after finding out that I enjoyed Bloodborne way more than I'd expect. For some reason I like the way the combat works and the challenge doesn't really feel unfair (although
Priscilla was rather tricky
). I'm currently making my way through
Anor Londo

I'm using a strength based character and I was lucky enough to get a Black Knight Sword from the very first black knight I killed at the Burgh, but I'm wondering a couple things...

I'm currently using the BKS and the Stone Armor set (I can't remember the name of the shield I'm using), and I haven't really seen anything that I can consider an upgrade (besides a crystal halberd, which obviously didn't last long). Is this going to be my final set (which I'll continue to upgrade, anyways) or are better items waiting at some point down the road?

Also, is the DLC worth playing if my main intention is to play also DS2 and move on to DS3?

Oh, and I have to say this, I hate those two
arrow shooting knights on the top of the ledge in Anor Londo, on the way to the bonfire after the bridge, they aren't hard, but it's so easy to end up tumbling to your death...

napata

So, I decided to start playing this again after finding out that I enjoyed Bloodborne way more than I'd expect. For some reason I like the way the combat works and the challenge doesn't really feel unfair (although
Priscilla was rather tricky
). I'm currently making my way through
Anor Londo

I'm using a strength based character and I was lucky enough to get a Black Knight Sword from the very first black knight I killed at the Burgh, but I'm wondering a couple things...

I'm currently using the BKS and the Stone Armor set (I can't remember the name of the shield I'm using), and I haven't really seen anything that I can consider an upgrade (besides a crystal halberd, which obviously didn't last long). Is this going to be my final set (which I'll continue to upgrade, anyways) or are better items waiting at some point down the road?

Also, is the DLC worth playing if my main intention is to play also DS2 and move on to DS3?

Oh, and I have to say this, I hate those two
arrow shooting knights on the top of the ledge in Anor Londo, on the way to the bonfire after the bridge, they aren't hard, but it's so easy to end up tumbling to your death...

Yes the DLC has the best bosses in the game.

silva1991

Responsiveness.

If DS's controls aren't responsive and doesn't make one feel in control then what can we say about the like of Witcher 2/3, Dragon age etc?

I can understand if you think DD's controls are more fluid and responsive, but saying DS isn't responsive is outright wrong in so many levels.

Korosenai

I want to grind the forest protectors for souls, but I also want to join the forest hunters covenant. How should I go about doing this? Grind as much as I want and then talk to the cat? If I talk to the cat and then kill them, will I be kicked out of the covenant for good?

Kazdane

I want to grind the forest protectors for souls, but I also want to join the forest hunters covenant. How should I go about doing this? Grind as much as I want and then talk to the cat? If I talk to the cat and then kill them, will I be kicked out of the covenant for good?

You can grind them as much as you want before you talk to the cat. Afterwards is not a good idea (and the cat tells you so right away).

Weapons, it depends on your stats (for bonus damage scaling) and the moveset. If you like the moveset of the BKS, no reason to switch to something else, any weapon in Souls can see you through the game.

Stone Armour, I think it's bettered by a couple of other sets off the top of my head
Havels and Giant set
but it's splitting hairs imo. What can be more important than pure physical defense for some fights is elemental or status resistances, so it's often better to mix and match armour sets to get a balance of defenses rather than just go full tank mode with a the heaviest set you have - Unless you like tanking everything, I always prefer evasion to defense so always use the lighter armours with maybe one piece of something like Stone armour.

If you haven't tried moving around in gear weighing less than 25% of your total equipment load, give it a try - the movement speed and rolling is far better for dodging.

This post is so wrong it hurts. Dark Souls controls are 100% responsive and do exactly as you tell them.

When I say DS controls are unresponsive, I'm talking about the time it takes from [button press] to [action happening]. In most games -- no matter the genre -- you press a button and the action starts before you can remove your finger from the button; DS has such a delay that I can literally (yes, literally. I've tested it) press R1 to attack, completely remove my hand from the controller and tap my table 3 times; the animation doesn't start until the 1st tap and doesn't finish until the 3rd.

From, has already started to deal with the issue, as I was fighting the controls much less in Bloodborne, but even that still has problems. From what I've seen of DS3, it looks closer to BB, so that's great.

If DS's controls aren't responsive and doesn't make one feel in control then what can we say about the like of Witcher 2/3, Dragon age etc?

I can understand if you think DD's controls are more fluid and responsive, but saying DS isn't responsive is outright wrong in so many levels.

Out of those, I've only played Witcher 3, and I'm not a fan of its combat either and would definitely say it's unresponsive as well. Like DS, I wanted to shelve it in the opening hours for how terrible it was, but it actually had an interesting narrative that made me want to continue on.

If the character doesn't immediately do what I tell it to do, the controls are unresponsive. Period. Controls and responsiveness are a big deal to me, probably the most important part of any game, I feel. So I might take greater issue with and be more sensitive to their goings on than others.

When I say DS controls are unresponsive, I'm talking about the time it takes from [button press] to [action happening]. In most games -- no matter the genre -- you press a button and the action starts before you can remove your finger from the button; DS has such a delay that I can literally (yes, literally. I've tested it) press R1 to attack, completely remove my hand from the controller and tap my table 3 times; the animation doesn't start until the 1st tap and doesn't finish until the 3rd.

From, has already started to deal with the issue, as I was fighting the controls much less in Bloodborne, but even that still has problems. From what I've seen of DS3, it looks closer to BB, so that's great.

Out of those, I've only played Witcher 3, and I'm not a fan of its combat either and would definitely say it's unresponsive as well. Like DS, I wanted to shelve it in the opening hours for how terrible it was, but it actually had an interesting narrative that made me want to continue on.

If the character doesn't immediately do what I tell it to do, the controls are unresponsive. Period. Controls and responsiveness are a big deal to me, probably the most important part of any game, I feel. So I might take greater issue with and be more sensitive to their goings on than others.

What weapon are you using?
edit: nm

Top Bottom