• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Ugh this is bugging me so much. I'm stuck between the bonfire next to the ladder up to the bridge and whatever's next. I keep getting to the undead parish, I take out the goons outside, but it always takes up so much of my health that by the time I get past them and into the area full of weak but fast ghoul things that rush you I always die. :/

Ugh this is bugging me so much. I'm stuck between the bonfire next to the ladder up to the bridge and whatever's next. I keep getting to the undead parish, I take out the goons outside, but it always takes up so much of my health that by the time I get past them and into the area full of weak but fast ghoul things that rush you I always die. :/
You're really close to a few really important ways to go, literally just past the little part where you are now. The regular enemies (I guess you mean below where the metal boar was) are easy to take out, just block their hit and then a slash or two will kill them.

Don't rush, take out each enemy one by one, or as few as possible. You aggro a bunch of enemies you're probably just going to get stunlocked or guard broken (blocking when you have no or little stamina). Seriously you're so close to some really helpful things. :)

You're really close to a few really important ways to go, literally just past the little part where you are now. The regular enemies (I guess you mean below where the metal boar was) are easy to take out, just block their hit and then a slash or two will kill them.

Don't rush, take out each enemy one by one, or as few as possible. You aggro a bunch of enemies you're probably just going to get stunlocked or guard broken (blocking when you have no or little stamina). Seriously you're so close to some really helpful things. :)
they're not too bad, it's in the next room - I get rushed down by these weird red thin people and stun locked. :p
Go up and across the bridge (mind the dragon) and there is a bonfire waiting there for you! Much easier to go from there.
I have a bonfire under the bridge, do you mean that one? Because if I try and run into the building under the dragon it sets me on fire. :p

SDR-UK

Go up the bridge and wait in one of the shoulders until the dragon swoops down and quickly run under and into the room. You'll find a bonfire in the centre waiting for you.

they're not too bad, it's in the next room - I get rushed down by these weird red thin people and stun locked. :p

Now that you know they rush you, take advantage of this and backtrack into the hallway once they start tracking you. They'll all converge into the corridor which will make them easier to deal with as a group.

Go up the bridge and wait in one of the shoulders until the dragon swoops down and quickly run under and into the room. You'll find a bonfire in the centre waiting for you.
Managed it, thanks :)
Now that you know they rush you, take advantage of this and backtrack into the hallway once they start tracking you. They'll all converge into the corridor which will make them easier to deal with as a group.
I'm using a hand axe which is quite stubby so when there's many of them very close to me it's still not much use unfortunately :/

Thanks everyone btw! :) playing it for the first time and trying to play as blind as possible, as I did Bloodborne :)

Nista

So I've been playing our 360 copy of this on XBONE and have gotten up to the Gaping Dragon by using the Drake Sword. I see there's lots of talk about upgrading weapons here, what would be a good normal weapon to upgrade to replace the Drake Sword in the future?

I've been putting most points into VIT/END, but I feel like I'd enjoy dex scaling weapons more than the giant slow two handers. I don't really like killing NPCs in games, so I don't have the uchigatana yet. Is it possible to survive the Catacombs to get the scythe at this point? Or should I keep pushing on with the drake sword for now and just upgrade a shield or bow?

So I've been playing our 360 copy of this on XBONE and have gotten up to the Gaping Dragon by using the Drake Sword. I see there's lots of talk about upgrading weapons here, what would be a good normal weapon to upgrade to replace the Drake Sword in the future?

I've been putting most points into VIT/END, but I feel like I'd enjoy dex scaling weapons more than the giant slow two handers. I don't really like killing NPCs in games, so I don't have the uchigatana yet. Is it possible to survive the Catacombs to get the scythe at this point? Or should I keep pushing on with the drake sword for now and just upgrade a shield or bow?
It's absolutely possible to get the Great Sythe that early, it's only about 25% the way in to the Catacombs. If you take some poison arrows with you to deal with the Necromancers from afar it's a doddle. The quicker you ditch the Drake Sword the better imo.

As for other weapons, it depends on the moveset you like. The Drake Sword is kind of basic except for the R2 attacks, it has a standard Long Sword R1 swings, so that's one ot try, the R2s are a nice thrusting jab that is useful. The Broadsword has the same R1's but with a wide arching R2 instead of a poke - a bit boring maybe. Balder Side Sword has a similar moveset to the Long sword and is really popular because it's fast and long. I think it scales better with DEX too iirc.

Nista

It's absolutely possible to get the Great Sythe that early, it's only about 25% the way in to the Catacombs. If you take some poison arrows with you to deal with the Necromancers from afar it's a doddle. The quicker you ditch the Drake Sword the better imo.

As for other weapons, it depends on the moveset you like. The Drake Sword is kind of basic except for the R2 attacks, it has a standard Long Sword R1 swings, so that's one ot try, the R2s are a nice thrusting jab that is useful. The Broadsword has the same R1's but with a wide arching R2 instead of a poke - a bit boring maybe. Balder Side Sword has a similar moveset to the Long sword and is really popular because it's fast and long. I think it scales better with DEX too iirc.

Interesting, I guess instead of doing the Butterfly it's off to the catacombs for me. I was hoping to get a Balder Side Sword, but haven't seen one drop yet off the guys in the Cathedral. Only special thing I have so far is a Black Knight Halberd, but the stat requirements on that are so high I can't even use it anytime soon. I kinda feel like it'd be too slow for me, since I'm not that good at targeting enemies.

Unai

I love the Great Scythe and it's not rare that I get it as soon as I arrive in Firelink Shirine. You just have to do some suicide runs into the the Catacombs. If you run and dodge like a mad man there's no need to kill the necromants just to get the Great Scythe.

btw, the BSS will only drop from the Balder Knights that are using one. A few of the them are using Rapiers instead, plus it's a relatively rare drop - but not stupid rare. The Balder Shield is really good too.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
I just started playing this. Came to the gargoyles for the first time. Summoned Solaire but still died. Went back as a Hollow and beat them alone on the second try.

Currently going down in the lower burgh and getting killed by assassins.

So, how long should i stick with the drake sword? I got a large axe from the gargoyles as well...

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yo, I'm playing through for the first time and I'm at Sen's Fortress. I jumped to the boulder giant's roof and I don't know how to get off. Can I jump into the boulder hole and survive?

Divius

Summoned Solaire and beat it first try. Hm.
Nice, congrats! \[ ]/ Jolly Coop~~

So, how long should i stick with the drake sword?
How'd you even find out about the drake sword? ~_~ I don't recommend using it at all, it kind of ruins some of the essential skills you're supposed to learn in the early game since it is super OP for now.

Yo, I'm playing through for the first time and I'm at Sen's Fortress. I jumped to the boulder giant's roof and I don't know how to get off. Can I jump into the boulder hole and survive?
iirc, yes.

Kid Ska

Mostly because this is my first time playing through and I figured there was no way they'd make me go too far into the next area without a bonfire, I'll be fine. I was right, but I missed the bonfire and got caught in a loop of saving my Souls that eventually I couldn't close. Nbd though these hammer giant's give like 1500 each and they're pushovers. But I did lose the 40k from the Iron Giant

Randam

there was this guide (on reddit afaik) where you get the black knight halberd early and a few other things before beating the first boss after the asylum.

anyone got the link maybe?

FunnyJay

Neo Member
How'd you even find out about the drake sword? ~_~ I don't recommend using it at all, it kind of ruins some of the essential skills you're supposed to learn in the early game since it is super OP for now.

Ehh.... I might have looked up a guide to get some tips on how to cross that bridge, and it mentioned the tail....

Yeah drop that weapon now and start upgrading another weapon you like the moveset of (and scales well with your stat of choice)

OK, so I might go back to a shortsword or longsword (already got those), but how do I know if a weapon "scales well with my stat of choice"? This game explains nothing regarding stats and the like...

Mistel

Banned
OK, so I might go back to a shortsword or longsword (already got those), but how do I know if a weapon "scales well with my stat of choice"? This game explains nothing regarding stats and the like...
It does show it in the scaling for the weapon what sort of build do you want to use?

@FunnyJay

foYeP.jpg

The letter under ParamBonus (marked in red) shows the scaling, in this case C/C (from STR and DEX) - The more you level up those stats, the more damage bonus you get (highlighted in yellow)

Stuck on Capra demon now LOL

I wonder if I made a mistake going light. I went speedy in Bloodborne but in this blocking seems like a big deal and I can't block anything. Hmm.

Tarkus

Stuck on Capra demon now LOL

I wonder if I made a mistake going light. I went speedy in Bloodborne but in this blocking seems like a big deal and I can't block anything. Hmm.
Capra is going to teach you 4 things: light roll is key, two-hand your weapon for more damage, don't get greedy when you have an opening, and use the environment if possible.

This whole game is doable (more fun) without a shield (for blocking) imo

Capra is going to teach you 4 things: light roll is key, two-hand your weapon for more damage, don't get greedy when you have an opening, and use the environment if possible.

This whole game is doable (more fun) without a shield (for blocking) imo
ATM I'm running with a battle axe + light shield and my weight is low enough that I get light roll. But I can't seem to do anything upon entering that room - I get rushed down by the dogs and no matter which way I roll Capra demon seems to track me. :p

I know I'm terrible but I genuinely do think this is harder than Bloodborne. Not giving up though!

Kid Ska

YEAAAAH FATTY AND SLIM ARE DOWN
God bless the claymore
Also farmed for like 50 humanity that I never ended up needing.

Edit: lol wow... This lautrec fight is fucked

FunnyJay

Neo Member
@FunnyJay

The letter under ParamBonus (marked in red) shows the scaling, in this case C/C (from STR and DEX) - The more you level up those stats, the more damage bonus you get (highlighted in yellow)

Great tips! Thanks!

Too bad the game never explained this... It's one thing keeping the lore and story mysterious, it's quite another to make the game mechanics obscure and hard to understand...

I need to check my inventory and character to see what kind of weapon suits me best...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Great tips! Thanks!

Too bad the game never explained this... It's one thing keeping the lore and story mysterious, it's quite another to make the game mechanics obscure and hard to understand...

I need to check my inventory and character to see what kind of weapon suits me best...

Just a suggestion, but try out the moveset of the reinforced club. It's very easy to get, scales well with str (so you only need to focus on upping strength), and is a great weapon overall. Good moveset, ideal for a first playthrough. The jump attack is useful, it has bleeding, and you're good to go for most of the game. It may be more effective early than late game, but this thing can carry you through the entire game. Don't let the looks fool you.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
BTW, has anyone else had problems with connectivity?

I can't recall seeing any bloodstains, or messages at all during my gameplay...

Kid Ska

BTW, has anyone else had problems with connectivity?

I can't recall seeing any bloodstains, or messages at all during my gameplay...
Yeah it's been really hit or miss for me. I think it was working Saturday but I played a bunch Sunday and didn't see any messages or anything. Not sure what's going on.

Okay, that's Capra demon down. Decided to switch it up and play more defensively. Better shield, better defensive armour, slower weapon. Seems to suit me better in this game :)

Kid Ska

Wow, now I get the joke about Pinwheel. What a cakewalk. At least the mask is sweet.

Edit: well... Found gravelord nito... Shit

So I fell into a hole in the depths and have been cursed - upon looking online I don't have access to that healer yet. I assume I should just try and forge my way back to Firelink and buy them from the undead woman in the tunnel?

Edit: grinded for 6k souls then went to the merchant underneath the bell tower and got two of them. Used one but I dread having to use the next one. Kind of an annoying status effect as it feels like it is literally just a penalty/forced time out to go and grind for souls, at least as early as I am in the game.

Mistel

Banned
So I fell into a hole in the depths and have been cursed - upon looking online I don't have access to that healer yet. I assume I should just try and forge my way back to Firelink and buy them from the undead woman in the tunnel?

Edit: grinded for 6k souls then went to the merchant underneath the bell tower and got two of them. Used one but I dread having to use the next one. Kind of an annoying status effect as it feels like it is literally just a penalty/forced time out to go and grind for souls, at least as early as I am in the game.
Usually most go to the depths after parish on their first run, but with the basilisk once you've seen it its easy to avoid.

There's a way to get a couple purging stones for free
trade a cracked red eye orb with Snuggly the crow, you can find some orbs free at Firelink if you drop down under the Parish elevator

Now you know the basilisks can curse you, it's unlikely to happen again. Wear a piece of armour that has the highest curse resistance you can find and that will help a lot even if you get caught out by their breath attacks again. But there's very few parts of the game where curse is an issue, so it's not a big thing really.

Usually most go to the depths after parish on their first run, but with the basilisk once you've seen it its easy to avoid.

There's a way to get a couple purging stones for free
trade a cracked red eye orb with Snuggly the crow, you can find some orbs free at Firelink if you drop down under the Parish elevator

Now you know the basilisks can curse you, it's unlikely to happen again. Wear a piece of armour that has the highest curse resistance you can find and that will help a lot even if you get caught out by their breath attacks again. But there's very few parts of the game where curse is an issue, so it's not a big thing really.
Okay, thanks guys. I hope it won't happen again :p

Beta Stage

Neo Member
I am kind of in a pickle so to speak. I joined the WoS for the first time and I am about 4 medals away from ranking up. Plus, I have Gwyn's soul. Should I trade it to the covenant for Sunlight Spear? Or should I hold on to it until I get to Anor Londo and forge it into the Great Lord Greatsword?

Kid Ska

Jeeeez, this Manus fight is nuts

Is online still dead? I haven't seen any blood stains whatsoever, much less invasion or summon signs. Ugh.

It's pretty spotty this week, but it has been working well for me today. Even got a summon and an invasion in.

Top Bottom