• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

That's the place. Your options are 1) backtracking 2) wait until you've killed O&S when backtracking won't be as much of a problem.

It sounds far away, but you can be at the Parish bonfire in less than a couple of minutes really. If you found the cage key in Sen's you can use the cage elevator to get from top to bottom. Or if you didn't get the key (it's at the bottom of the tower with the merchant that you need to jump to), there are a couple of drops that get you there just as fast. Just fall down the shaft around the corner from the final set of swinging blades and the double pressure plate trap.

Unai

What sort of computer do you need to get 60fps in Blighttown? I have a 970 + an i5 4590 and the framerate tanks as soon as I get in there :/

By tanks you mean sub 30? I also have a 970 but with an i7 2700k and I can't notice much problems. But I also use a G-Sync monitor, so I guess that helps if it isn't sub-30.

That's the place. Your options are 1) backtracking 2) wait until you've killed O&S when backtracking won't be as much of a problem.

It sounds far away, but you can be at the Parish bonfire in less than a couple of minutes really. If you found the cage key in Sen's you can use the cage elevator to get from top to bottom. Or if you didn't get the key (it's at the bottom of the tower with the merchant that you need to jump to), there are a couple of drops that get you there just as fast. Just fall down the shaft around the corner from the final set of swinging blades and the double pressure plate trap.
I don't even know what key you're talking about, it's been years since I've last played. If it's the key that allows me to go down to New Londo Ruins from that area in Firelink then yes I have it.

No, it's called "Cage Key" or something like that.
This that cage elevator thing right before I start having to dodge swinging blades? If so I think I have that as well. I do recall playing with a guide with that character so certain things I know I have. I know I have a +10 Pyromancy Flame, but I have no fucking idea how I got it that god damn high.

I don't even know what key you're talking about, it's been years since I've last played. If it's the key that allows me to go down to New Londo Ruins from that area in Firelink then yes I have it.
No it's called 'Cage Key' I think, it's found in Sen's Fortress and unlocks the cage elevator at the top of Sen's, it takes you all the way to bottom of Sen's Fortress (well not to the very bottom of the tar pit with the Titanite Demons). It's a useful shortcut, or you can just drop down as I say.

No it's called 'Cage Key' I think, it's found in Sen's Fortress and unlocks the cage elevator at the top of Sen's, it takes you all the way to bottom of Sen's Fortress (well not to the very bottom of the tar pit with the Titanite Demons). It's a useful shortcut, or you can just drop down as I say.
Well now that sounds new. At some point I'll have to check. I haven't even dealt with the painted world or anything, don't even know if I could access it.

I know I'm complaining about it a lot but there is just something so frustrating about this game to me. It feels so much more punishing than Bloodborne and a lot less fair - it likes to throw you into tiny rooms with bosses with AoE attacks that take up 80% of the space which you can occupy and unless you're standing outside of that you're absolutely fucked. :/

It's almost putting me off. I'm 15 hours in and I've beaten the gargoyles, asylum demon, capra demon, gaping dragon, taurus demon & moonlight butterfly, as well as every black knight i've come across. but I don't feel like I'm getting better in the way I did with Bloodborne, which I nearly platinumed (got to the second last Chalice Dungeon before moving on to other games).

edit: beat the stray demon now too. will try to salt post less. :p

I know I'm complaining about it a lot but there is just something so frustrating about this game to me. It feels so much more punishing than Bloodborne and a lot less fair - it likes to throw you into tiny rooms with bosses with AoE attacks that take up 80% of the space which you can occupy and unless you're standing outside of that you're absolutely fucked. :/

It's almost putting me off. I'm 15 hours in and I've beaten the gargoyles, asylum demon, capra demon, gaping dragon, taurus demon & moonlight butterfly, as well as every black knight i've come across. but I don't feel like I'm getting better in the way I did with Bloodborne, which I nearly platinumed (got to the second last Chalice Dungeon before moving on to other games).

edit: beat the stray demon now too. will try to salt post less. :p
Are you at blighttown now?

Sif is a non-optional boss, but he can be done much later. I think the reason he is open to being fought so early is because it leads to something else, so experienced players can get to that straight away. If he's too much right now, come back later. Sif is a really quick boss fight if you have your roll times down though, his moves are good practice and really show the power of the i-frames on rolls.

Salt post away, we all need to vent when these games get frustrating, some bosses in DS3 have made me salt post a few times in the DS3 OT, it's all good, after getting it off my chest I went back and just barely scraped through the fight kicked their ass!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
just rang the first bell. summoned the sun guy from the dragon bridge but he died and then i died. i had to go back and talk to that golden knight (sorry i'm terrible with names) before i could summon him. we made short work of them gargoyles. anyway after that i went back and kicked the golden knight right off the edge so he doesn't kill the fire keeper.

seems like i need to head back to the dragon bridge to get to the next area. i really want to find the boss that gives me Rite of Kindling so I can get more estus flasks but I'm not sure where to go and if i'm ready for him. i got 10,000 souls from the gargoyles so managed to get to lvl 27. upgraded my HP, endurance and dexterity. also i got a ring from that knight i kicked off the edge and it improves HP/stamina so my character is feeling a lot less sluggish now. rolls feel nice and quick. can't wait to see what i'm up against next!

update: now facing the Capra Demon. can get his health down to the last third. camera is rather awkward because it keeps getting blocked so i can't see when he is about to attack. taking a break just now and will try again tomorrow.

Ikon

Wow, finally managed to get the platinum for this! It's a bit of an anti climax having to go to NG++ just for the crafting but as a whole this was an amazing ride.

Are you at blighttown now?
Yeah, I got the rusty iron ring from Asylum so I'm heading back to Blighttown. Oh, the framerate. :p
Sif is a non-optional boss, but he can be done much later. I think the reason he is open to being fought so early is because it leads to something else, so experienced players can get to that straight away. If he's too much right now, come back later. Sif is a really quick boss fight if you have your roll times down though, his moves are good practice and really show the power of the i-frames on rolls.
Ah okay, I will come back to Sif later then.
Salt post away, we all need to vent when these games get frustrating, some bosses in DS3 have made me salt post a few times in the DS3 OT, it's all good, after getting it off my chest I went back and just barely scraped through the fight kicked their ass!
yeah this happened with the stray demon. Got mad, frustrated, posted on here and then went back and beat it. Best feeling!

So I have tried to get into this 2 times but I always stopped after Taurus demon on the wall. Mostly because I don't have so much free time anymore. But after completing DS3, I finally came back and this time I made it as far as killing the Gargoyle twins in one run. This time I think I will stick with it. Having a blast so far.

But damn the graphics kind of sucks after DS3. Even with downsampling from 4K and using the best AO option in DSFix.

Kieli

Yeah, I got the rusty iron ring from Asylum so I'm heading back to Blighttown. Oh, the framerate. :p

Ah okay, I will come back to Sif later then.
yeah this happened with the stray demon. Got mad, frustrated, posted on here and then went back and beat it. Best feeling!

When you get Sif to low health, don't keep wailing. You'll see something interesting that a lot of other people miss because they keep hacking away.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
beat the capra demon and headed to the depths. beat the big rat but can't seem to find the bonfire! i have 21,000 souls and want to level up but keep dying. i found the merchant who sells crystal stuff. now i've been cursed by they weird looking frogs and need to go pick my souls up.

update: found the bonfire. got killed easily due to curse so said goodbye to those 21,000 souls. i tried returning to undead asylum to give snuggly the cracked red eye in exchange for a purging stone but couldn't reach the big crow's nest. ended up just using some large souls to get 6,000 and buying one off the women behind the bars in the tunnel towards the lower undead burg from firelink shrine. so that's me at the bonfire in the depths. taking a break at the moment and will explore my way through that area. hopefully i won't get cursed again.

Unai

beat the capra demon and headed to the depths. beat the big rat but can't seem to find the bonfire! i have 21,000 souls and want to level up but keep dying. i found the merchant who sells crystal stuff. now i've been cursed by they weird looking frogs and need to go pick my souls up.

update: found the bonfire. got killed easily due to curse so said goodbye to those 21,000 souls. i tried returning to undead asylum to give snuggly the cracked red eye in exchange for a purging stone but couldn't reach the big crow's nest. ended up just using some large souls to get 6,000 and buying one off the women behind the bars in the tunnel towards the lower undead burg from firelink shrine. so that's me at the bonfire in the depths. taking a break at the moment and will explore my way through that area. hopefully i won't get cursed again.

They guy in the bell tower sells purging stones cheaper. Also if you have a lot of souls, homeward bones are your friends!

strafer

Damn, never have I farmed so much in DS like last night.

Farmed the Balder Dudes for the sword which took some time.

Ended up with 40 Titanite Shards and 25 Large Shards though and a bunch of armor. :p

love that sword

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
They guy in the bell tower sells purging stones cheaper. Also if you have a lot of souls, homeward bones are you friends!

i read that but really couldn't be bothered travelling back there. it's not too far but the women was closer. i think i have some of them bones but not sure what they do. i will look into them.
Damn, never have I farmed so much in DS like last night.

Farmed the Balder Dudes for the sword which took some time.

Ended up with 40 Titanite Shards and 25 Large Shards though and a bunch of armor. :p

love that sword

are those the knights at the undead parish?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Homeward bones warp you to the last bonfire you rested at. They are one of the most useful consumable items in the game, if not the most useful.

thanks, i'll remember and use one next time.
_____

A question I have, so I've stopped off at the bonfire in the depths. Should I just continue down there towards Blighttown or go back and head into Darkroot Garden then Blighttown?

strafer

thanks, i'll remember and use one next time.
_____

A question I have, so I've stopped off at the bonfire in the depths. Should I just continue down there towards Blighttown or go back and head into Darkroot Garden then Blighttown?

Do you have any poison moss on you?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
just spent a few hours playing trying to improve my gear. my claymore/balder shield are now +4 and my (starting) knight set is +3 except the armor which is +4. took on the Titanite Demon without much bother. just threw a few firebombs his way and applied gold pine resin for lightning effect then did some jump attacks on him.

went down into the darkroot garden. those tree enemies are easy. i ended up at a locked door so need to figure out how to get past that. backtracked and went into the basin. never managed to get to the bottom because i ran into a huge knight and i fell off the edge of the path while fighting him. probably wouldn't have managed to beat him anyway.

can't seem to decide if i should return to the basin or back to the depths.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Depths.
And claymore/balder shield is a sweet combo. Ran with that for a long time.

thanks, i'll head back to the depths. i love the claymore sword. it uses a lot of stamina so i need to be careful. i've got some other weapons like the Halberd but i'll only use that if I feel i need it. i had a Knight Shield but the Balder Shield is a little lighter and becomes just as powerful. I also have the spider shield which I use in the depths to protect against poison.

update: cleared the depths and just need to take on the boss.

Beat Queelag. Her design is kind of shitty to be honest, just the lazy JRPG sexy-yet-also-gross design. Boss fight seemed very easy too. Anyway :p

I rang the bell, so now I want to leave Blighttown and get Firelink Shrine re-lit.

strafer

Beat Queelag. Her design is kind of shitty to be honest, just the lazy JRPG sexy-yet-also-gross design. Boss fight seemed very easy too. Anyway :p

I rang the bell, so now I want to leave Blighttown and get Firelink Shrine re-lit.

Speak for yourself. Took 30 tries the first time I played.

Speak for yourself. Took 30 tries the first time I played.
Really? That's so weird, maybe my Queelag glitched or something? I know there was a glitch that affected one of the last bosses of Bloodborne, made them essentially a joke.

For me Queelag would just occasionally spew lava and then come at me with her sword which was very easily dodged by walking backwards. Then the moment she started spewing I would just walk around her and attack her legs.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
just beat the gaping dragon in the depths. wow that was pretty damn easy. just 2 handed my +4 claymore and got 3-4 hits into it every time it ran into a wall. easiest boss so far. got 25,000 souls and i'm now lvl 34. need to get into Blighttown now...

I have Dark Souls waiting on my PC but I have been somehow spoiled by Bloodborne's more nervous gameplay and I was wondering if it was possible to replicate it with DS. Which class should I start with and how should I build it? Is the dodge move as safe as in Bloodborne? BB was my first souls game and I'm super excited to play DS soon... I read they are quite different gameplay wise but I think I can handle it as long as I can build a fast character.

Reached Anor Londo! I accidentally hit A as soon as the Iron Golem was dead though, is it possible to get back to Anor Londo if I use a homeward bone first? I wanted to explore the area around the Iron Golem but was immediately carried off :p

Csr

What sort of computer do you need to get 60fps in Blighttown? I have a 970 + an i5 4590 and the framerate tanks as soon as I get in there :/

The game isn't using all the resources properly, if you see your cpu and gpu usage you will see it is very low. I have a similar performance to yours and i have a much older and weaker pc, i also didn't notice any change in the framerate even after i went from a dual core to a quad. If anyone has any solution to this i would really like to know.

The game isn't using all the resources properly, if you see your cpu and gpu usage you will see it is very low. I have a similar performance to yours and i have a much older and weaker pc, i also didn't notice any change in the framerate even after i went from a dual core to a quad. If anyone has any solution to this i would really like to know.
Thankfully I'm done with Blighttown, but I'm pretty sure it is just as you said. Some weird code thing that hardware can't brute force past easily.

I have Dark Souls waiting on my PC but I have been somehow spoiled by Bloodborne's more nervous gameplay and I was wondering if it was possible to replicate it with DS. Which class should I start with and how should I build it? Is the dodge move as safe as in Bloodborne? BB was my first souls game and I'm super excited to play DS soon... I read they are quite different gameplay wise but I think I can handle it as long as I can build a fast character.
Sure. Make sure you fast roll (<25% equip load, and slightly faster for every third of that 25%). Maybe go for a dex build, I think with a wanderer?

Reached Anor Londo! I accidentally hit A as soon as the Iron Golem was dead though, is it possible to get back to Anor Londo if I use a homeward bone first? I wanted to explore the area around the Iron Golem but was immediately carried off :p
You can freely travel between AL and Sen's. Just talk to the gargoyle/inspect the spot where the golem died.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i'm just about to go into blighttown. have been playing at 60fps but 30fps doesn't bother me too much so i'll just be locking it at 30fps during my stay there.

Fuck I've got myself stuck in the Painted World of Ariamis :(

I was just exploring the cathedral in Anor Londo and I examined the painting and this happened. I haven't even done the main things in Anor Londo yet. Am I fucked?

Mistel

Banned
Yes it is you'll get carried back there again.
Really? That's so weird, maybe my Queelag glitched or something? I know there was a glitch that affected one of the last bosses of Bloodborne, made them essentially a joke.

For me Queelag would just occasionally spew lava and then come at me with her sword which was very easily dodged by walking backwards. Then the moment she started spewing I would just walk around her and attack her legs.
You probably are a bit more equipped than the average first time player if you can get to Sif which is usually don't much later on in game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fuck I've got myself stuck in the Painted World of Ariamis :(

I was just exploring the cathedral in Anor Londo and I examined the painting and this happened. I haven't even done the main things in Anor Londo yet. Am I fucked?
You are already dead.

I'm sure you're fine. The boss is optional and can be skipped, though the level is challenging but not impossible. Hopefully you have some blooming moss though...

You are already dead.

I'm sure you're fine. The boss is optional and can be skipped, though the level is challenging but not impossible. Hopefully you have some blooming moss though...
I don't ;_;
Yes it is you'll get carried back there again.

You probably are a bit more equipped than the average first time player if you can get to Sif which is usually don't much later on in game.
Hmm, I got to Sif through the door seal which I bought from a merchant. :)

Top Bottom