• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
so this might be a stupid question but if i've made it this far, as in 2 remaing Lordsouls, will I be able to finish it? For the entirety of the game I've been worried it might become too much and give up. When going to a new area I dread it and so far have thought "that wasn't as bad as expected" after it. Did it for The Depths, Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, New Londo Ruins, Duke's Archive, Crystal Cave. Now I'm thinking the same about Lost Izalith and I'm really worried about Catacombs/Tomb of Giants and the final fight.

I'm not sure if this was posted before probably was...
CiDVz-nUgAAijfv.jpg

Race the Sun!

Mistel

Banned
so this might be a stupid question but if i've made it this far, as in 2 remaing Lordsouls, will I be able to finish it? For the entirety of the game I've been worried it might become too much and give up. When going to a new area I dread it and so far have thought "that wasn't as bad as expected" after it. Did it for The Depths, Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, New Londo Ruins, Duke's Archive, Crystal Cave. Now I'm thinking the same about Lost Izalith and I'm really worried about Catacombs/Tomb of Giants and the final fight.
Arguably you've already done most of the hard non gimmicky bosses so probably.

You'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on
bed of chaos

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
You'll be fine.

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on
bed of chaos

That's where I am going right now. Just about to load up and head to Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. In preparation for Catacombs/ToG I have got the Cast Light spell but need to lvl up to 14 int to use it and need to find a good divine weapon to kill the skeletons.

Tarkus

That's where I am going right now. Just about to load up and head to Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. In preparation for Catacombs/ToG I have got the Cast Light spell but need to lvl up to 14 int to use it and need to find a good divine weapon to kill the skeletons.
You don't need a divine weapon. Just kill the necromancers.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Just went through Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Catacombs, Tomb of Giants. Got all the Lord Souls now. Just need to put them in the Lordvessel then I'm off to face Lord Gwyn himself.

The Bed of Chaos boss was really easy. All you need to do is hack away at the shields then run inside and 1 hit kill it. Nito wasn't too difficult either.

zma1013

Just went through Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Catacombs, Tomb of Giants. Got all the Lord Souls now. Just need to put them in the Lordvessel then I'm off to face Lord Gwyn himself.

The Bed of Chaos boss was really easy. All you need to do is hack away at the shields then run inside and 1 hit kill it. Nito wasn't too difficult either.

You should probably take this time to play the DLC, otherwise you have to playthrough a lot of the game again on NG+ to get to it.

So back to this after Uncharted now. Facing off the Firesage Demon. I hate these ones, their Aoe attack is so annoying. Hope this is the last boss of this type in the game.

Make sure you play the DLC, it's so good.
Yeah I plan on :) is the best time after getting all four important souls but before placing them? Also how is it triggered, where is it?

That's Nito down btw. Was a super clutch victory lmao, Pyro glove + max armour and even then I died a few seconds after I got the Victory screen, heh. Had to run back to collect all my souls and light the bonfire :p

So I think that leaves Seath and one other.

Reached the Duke's Archives, kept dying to that sorcerer though so think I will call it a night. Not bad, beat Firesage, Centipede (lol that was easy), Bed of Chaos, and Nito.

Unai

Yeah I plan on :) is the best time after getting all four important souls but before placing them? Also how is it triggered, where is it?

You can place the souls. The area that opens has some enemies that drop all kinds of titanite chunks with 100% drop rate, so it's a good way to finish uprading all the weapons that you like. Just don't go past the fog door at the end of the way.

strafer

bed of chaos is probably the worst boss in the history of videogames.

Truly awful boss.

it's not even a boss..it's just a kick in the dick.

It is the only boss they've ever officially apologized for I think, so at least they know it sucks.

I think DS3 did this style of boss the best with Wolnir, I think it was probably closer to what they originally wanted to achieve before they made BoC in to Dragon God mk2.

Unai

The DLC area in NG++ is a lot of fun with my sorcerer. I tried to kill Artorias with my melee weapons (Moolight Greatsword, Velka's Rapier, Lightning Zweihander) but it's getting a little too much for me. Had to finish him with the good old Crystal Soul Spear. Looking forward to fighting Manus and Kalameet.

Should I do New Londo or Duke's Archives first? I went to Duke's Archives but my weapon doesn't do very much damage against those enemies, and apparently to upgrade past +10 I need an item from New Londo. Also, I got the Broken Pendant for the DLC so I will do that after I collect the remaining souls.

Should I do New Londo or Duke's Archives first? I went to Duke's Archives but my weapon doesn't do very much damage against those enemies, and apparently to upgrade past +10 I need an item from New Londo. Also, I got the Broken Pendant for the DLC so I will do that after I collect the remaining souls.
Sounds like you got your answer :p

I would do Duke's first if you are a magic-user, otherwise the very large ember takes presidence, you need to have
killed Sif
in order to take on the boss of New Londo though, but you can get the ember before the boss.

Sounds like you got your answer :p

I would do Duke's first if you are a magic-user, otherwise the very large ember takes presidence, you need to have
killed Sif
in order to take on the boss of New Londo though, but you can get the ember before the boss.
Alright. What's the best way to deal with New Londo? Get cursed? Cus there's a merchant that sells transient curses but I'm worried that she'll run out :p

Already defeated
Sif
btw. :) and managed to get far enough into Duke's to find the bonfire you can warp to. So going to do New Londo now then go back for Seath.

The Ghosts drop transient curses like candy. If you have the 2 they give you, I wouldn't worry about buying more.
So it sounds like I can actually do New Londo Ruins before I beat O&S then. I was worried about only having two Transient Curses and then not having enough to get through the level.

So it sounds like I can actually do New Londo Ruins before I beat O&S then. I was worried about only having two Transient Curses and then not having enough to get through the level.
Kind of. There are conditions for opening up the area, in that you need the Lord Vessel unless you
kill Ingward, the NPC that resides on top of the ghost house
- without doing this or having the Lord Vessel you only access half the level, crucially the half you can't access is where both the very large ember and the boss are.

But yeah, do the above and you can potentially have a +15 as early as beating the Capra Demon.

Kind of. There are conditions for opening up the area, in that you need the Lord Vessel unless you
kill Ingward, the NPC that resides on top of the ghost house
- without doing this or having the Lord Vessel you only access half the level, crucially the half you can't access is where both the very large ember and the boss are.

But yeah, do the above and you can potentially have a +15 as early as beating the Capra Demon.
I have never gotten far enough into NLR to even know about
Ingward
. Is he useful? Granted I'd like to think I don't need a plus +15 to beat O&S I think I mainly just want to plus 10 my great Scythe cause the Claymore just reduces my roll speed too much. Or maybe even +10 my Halberd cause that's a surprisingly good weapon I just started using.

Interesting. I usually do my best not to kill the NPC's in souls games. I didn't even kill them in Bloodborne until I was on my way to beating the game and I needed runes out of some of them. I guess if I just buy the spell before I kill him that should be fine. How much of a problem is curse? I think I got cursed once on an older character or something. I know the Basilisks cause that, but they're barely in the game I think.

Garlador

Beat Dark Souls for the first time with DLC installed. It was my third playthrough.

Still a great experience, but I'm also REALLY upset about one thing: my achievements glitched.

I was very thorough. I kept a list. I got all the weapons and items I could. I got down to the final rare weapon I needed and... nothing. The achievement didn't pop. I went over my list and checked it over and over. Nope, I have everything. No achievement.

I kept playing. I only need one more miracle to get that achievement too. I get that last miracle and... nope, nothing. It didn't pop.

So I have all the achievements of the game, but I'm missing those final two, but because I DO have all the miracles and rare weapons, I have no idea how to fix it. I may just be stuck with those final two achievements, and the 1 "get all the achievements" achievement, forever glitched.

And as much as I love Dark Souls, I'm not sure I'm up for starting from scratch and playing three more times and hoping it works next time...

Interesting. I usually do my best not to kill the NPC's in souls games. I didn't even kill them in Bloodborne until I was on my way to beating the game and I needed runes out of some of them. I guess if I just buy the spell before I kill him that should be fine. How much of a problem is curse? I think I got cursed once on an older character or something. I know the Basilisks cause that, but they're barely in the game I think.
You can avoid curse just by wearing one piece of armour that has high resistance to it, Dusk's set is good iirc. Also just avoiding the Basilisks cloud of course.

Purging stones cure curse, and they're sold by the pardoner in the Gargoyle tower, Undead Female merchant in aquaduct and are dropped by the clam enemies and the crow gives a couple for one cracked red eye orb = Ingward RIP. :p

You can avoid curse just by wearing one piece of armour that has high resistance to it, Dusk's set is good iirc. Also just avoiding the Basilisks cloud of course.

Purging stones cure curse, and they're sold by the pardoner in the Gargoyle tower, Undead Female merchant in aquaduct and are dropped by the clam enemies and the crow gives a couple for one cracked red eye orb = Ingward RIP. :p
Sounds like he isn't needed at all then. Wow.

If you can find a black knight halberd, that shit is super OP (at least in early-mid game). You can get one from the knight hanging out in darkroot, near the tunnel that goes to valley of the drakes.

Yeah that fight can get out of hand if you aren't fast enough in taking them out.
Yeah I was having trouble with them as I was taking it too carefully so just put on Stone armour, ring of steel protection + mask of the child and then just two handed my claymore lol. Down on the first attempt.

Unai

That's Seath down now as well, so I have all the souls I need.

DLC time, I guess!

If you don't have your weapons/shields of choice at least at +14 remember that now is the best time to upgrade them all.
2 of the first 3 Black Nights that appear in the path to the final boss after you put the souls in the lordvessel
drop titanite chunks with 100% drop rate, and they respawn!

I trashed them with the Claymore too. Man I miss the DS1 claymore
Is it not as good in later games?
If you don't have your weapons/shields of choice at least at +14 remember that now it's the best time to upgrade them all. 2 of the first 3 Black Nights that appear when you put the souls in the lordvessel drop titanite chunks with 100% drop rate, and they respawn!

Backup my save, finish the game, then go back and do the DLC - this is really tempting tbh

Do the DLC first then finish it

Doesn't really matter which, right? I'm going to a friend's for the weekend starting Friday and I won't be back till Monday so I would like to finish the game before I go, but I don't know how long the DLC will take me. Might be best to finish it first then restore my save and do DLC tbh.

I really wanted to finish the game first, so I backed up my save and did that. Then reloaded it and did the DLC.

Whatever way you want to do it.

Decided to finish it, and just did :)

got the
To Link the Fire
ending. Really enjoyed it :)

going to go back and do the DLC + maybe the boss in Painted World later today/tomorrow.

Top Bottom