• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Finally out of that stupid fucking world omg

I just jump attacked the undead dragons legs, ran through the fog gate and didn't fight the boss. That was so stressful and my weapon is now half durability :(

Solaire is useless 🌝

I need him to attack Ornstein while I keep Smough busy and he just runs across the room to try and help me, which then lets Ornstein keep hitting him in the back. -_-

pFTdwoD.png
the fucking thunderdrop butt smash attack is so shit
MCRt2U7.gif

fucks sake
MCRt2U7.gif

Jimrpg

I assume I can post without spoiler tags?

I'm Level 59, played about 40 hours now? I just beat Sif and played a bit of Sen's Fortress last night.

Damn this game has got me beat... its really hard. I don't remember Demon's being this hard... Like since getting to Blighttown, ive had to go back to Darkroot Garden to get Purple Moss Clump and then back down to Quelaag's domain, then climb back up to Firelink shrine and then go defeat Sif and its been a whole lot of back tracking, side tracking, avoiding poison darts and taking on super tough enemies. Progress has slowed down to a crawl and I'm practically following a guide every step of the way now. As someone who has about 6-8 hours gaming time a week, I just don't have the time to explore like I used to and find things out for myself. I think I only used a guide less than five times in Demon's.

Anyways I love the design and aesthetic of Dark Souls, though I think it is a little too tough for the regular player.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
went into the catacombs to fight that pinwheel dude. i just ran right past all the skeletons from firelink and jumped down all the ledges to get to his area. god damn those skeletons are annoying. i'm not looking forward to returning here later. pinwheel was pretty easy to defeat but it was confusing trying to figure out what one was the real one. i just kept my lock on him and threw firebombs at him then got some claymore attacks into him when possible.

all i wanted was the rite of kindling. now got my bonfires giving me 20 estus flasks. still kicking myself for consuming that firekeeper soul i got from the parish. i haven't found anymore since. also now got my first pyromancy but not really sure if thats how i want to play.

now about to head into blighttown.

The skeletons will be a push over when you come back to the Catacombs later on, that area is one of my favourites in how it's set up with enemy placements and the general level design. There are I think two other Firekeeper's Souls you could find 'in the wild' right now with where you are in the game btw, you'll come across them eventually. :)

I assume I can post without spoiler tags?

I'm Level 59, played about 40 hours now? I just beat Sif and played a bit of Sen's Fortress last night.

Damn this game has got me beat... its really hard. I don't remember Demon's being this hard... Like since getting to Blighttown, ive had to go back to Darkroot Garden to get Purple Moss Clump and then back down to Quelaag's domain, then climb back up to Firelink shrine and then go defeat Sif and its been a whole lot of back tracking, side tracking, avoiding poison darts and taking on super tough enemies. Progress has slowed down to a crawl and I'm practically following a guide every step of the way now. As someone who has about 6-8 hours gaming time a week, I just don't have the time to explore like I used to and find things out for myself. I think I only used a guide less than five times in Demon's.

Anyways I love the design and aesthetic of Dark Souls, though I think it is a little too tough for the regular player.
The game does give you options - You could buy the purple moss from the Undead Female Merchant and just homeward bone back to Blighttown to continue against the boss - homeward bones are so useful for traveling or 'backtracking' in this game, they half your journey. There are two Spider Shields you can pick up before entering Blighttown, this shield blocks toxic and poison completely (not build up from the swamp, but the toxic blowdart guys it helps with), I believe the Crystal Shield that the merchant in the Depths sells has the same properties. Conveniently both are found right before opening the door to Blighttown. Sif is an optional early boss and can be done much later when he would be a lot easier.

Also SL59 and just opening up Sen's is very overleveled - I expect a first playthrough to be overleveled, but for comparison I think the co-op guides usually recommend doing Sen's at SL30-35. So if you're having a hard time maybe your weapon is not upgraded to where it should be? You should definately be at +10 by Sen's, there's enough large titanite in there to loot or buy that the game is telling you to get your weapon to +10, but I always go in there with a weapon at that level at least. The Snake men telegraph their moves and are easy to parry and that's the best way to deal with them quickly - did you find the loot in Sif's boss area? That will help with that too. Also if you have any decent wood-based shields, this will help if you need to block the lightning attacks of the Serpent Mages - Wooden Shield and Eagle Shield both have decent physical block percentages too.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
so i entered blighttown. this is gonna be fun...

i've already fell off the walkways so many times and the poison/toxic is depleting my flasks/moss so quickly. i already don't like this area.

update: reached the bonfire at the very bottom level. it's the one that's inside the tunnel. there is a message that says "chest ahead"...although i'm not sure if it's the same one that i always see mentioned in relation to the boss.

navigating my way down all those wooden levels from the first bonfire was a pain. i've got rid of those guys who blow toxic darts but i still wish i had enough moss with me but i'm not backtracking now! i'll manage somehow. stat wise i've levelled up my resistance a bit to help with the poison.

zma1013

so i entered blighttown. this is gonna be fun...

i've already fell off the walkways so many times and the poison/toxic is depleting my flasks/moss so quickly. i already don't like this area.

update: reached the bonfire at the very bottom level. it's the one that's inside the tunnel. there is a message that says "chest ahead"...although i'm not sure if it's the same one that i always see mentioned in relation to the boss.

navigating my way down all those wooden levels from the first bonfire was a pain. i've got rid of those guys who blow toxic darts but i still wish i had enough moss with me but i'm not backtracking now! i'll manage somehow. stat wise i've levelled up my resistance a bit to help with the poison.

Resistance is useless, don't level it. Your souls are better spent anywhere else.

^ Well done!

That would mean going all the way back through Sen's Fortress, wouldn't it? :(
The giant blacksmith sells large titanite shards if you don't have enough. Assuming you gave the large ember to Andre so he can ascend your weapon to +6, you can upgrade it the rest of the way yourself at a bonefire. And now you've done O&S you can warp between bonfires, even easier!

^ Well done!

The giant blacksmith sells large titanite shards if you don't have enough. Assuming you gave the large ember to Andre so he can ascend your weapon to +6, you can upgrade it the rest of the way yourself at a bonefire. And now you've done O&S you can warp between bonfires, even easier!
Yeah, I'll do that now :) going to go upgrade shit then come back and fight the person to get Firekeeper from Firelink restored!

edit: got my claymore at +10, and I restored Firelink Shrine. feeling good again after a night of O&S hatred. :p

strafer

The camera can really fuck you over in this game. When it turns suddenly to the left or right.

scary shit, especially in the great hollow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Omg where is the Sen's shortcut? :p
You know those upper bridges where you have this archer shooting at you (and likely had to avoid the giant's flaming projectiles before you kill him)? There's a broken bridge in there, you can make that running jump (if playing on PC you might need to toggle back to 30 FPS to make the jump easier... don't ask). On the other side is some tower you can explore, there's an NPC, and at the bottom, an enemy that drops the cage key.

Now go back to that area opposite of that one Balder Knight, there's a cage elevator. Use that key to unlock it and it'll take you down to the beginning of the level.

Incidentally, that key also lets you free Logan from his cage, if you're interested.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
arrived at Anor Londo. got my ass kicked off those huge sentinels but i figured them out and they aren't a problem anymore. reached the second bonfire. using a crystal halberd now but won't give up my claymore just yet. at lvl 52 now.

I'm so worried that all my Dark Souls skills will perish since Uncharted just came out and I'm mostly playing that :p going to make an effort to try and get a bit of this in every day anyway. I've just placed the
lordvessel
and defeated the
ceaseless discharge
in the Demon Ruins.

strafer

I'm so worried that all my Dark Souls skills will perish since Uncharted just came out and I'm mostly playing that :p going to make an effort to try and get a bit of this in every day anyway. I've just placed the
lordvessel
and defeated the
ceaseless discharge
in the Demon Ruins.

may I ask how you defeated ceaseless?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
roughly how far have i got to go once i beat ornstein & smough? my route so far has been firelink > undead burg > undead parish > lower undead burg > the depths > blighttown > sen's fortress > anor londo.

may I ask how you defeated ceaseless?
if you run past it before attacking it there is a chest with clothes inside. Those clothes have really high Fire def. I just equipped everything with high fire def and made sure I had light roll. Then when it does the laser beam of fire attack roll to the left, attack the bits that come down, rinse and repeat. If you get hit by the beam full on it seems to be an instant death so you just need to roll to the side of it and then attack!

can't get by these archers in anor londo. it's not so much the arrows but fighting on those small ledges.
I ran past literally everything there until you get to them, then if you run along the wall and go towards the knight on the left archway. Roll past him so that the other archer is blocked, then engage him and kill him. Then slowly work your way back along the thin wall, rolling underneath every arrow, and then either pull that knight onto one of the arches so you can hit it better or engage them on the ledge.

If you stand just out of range rather than up in his face often he will swing and fall off himself. Parrying is also good, they're one of the enemies you will want to get used to parrying.

strafer

if you run past it before attacking it there is a chest with clothes inside. Those clothes have really high Fire def. I just equipped everything with high fire def and made sure I had light roll. Then when it does the laser beam of fire attack roll to the left, attack the bits that come down, rinse and repeat. If you get hit by the beam full on it seems to be an instant death so you just need to roll to the side of it and then attack!

Ah, you took him down the old fashion way. Nice.

mdzapeer

I just finished a replay of the game with all bosses using a str build.

Suprisingly got o and s down on my 3rd try.

The first 2 failed cause I used solaire. Bought em down solo easily.

Funny I ended up dropping the game for 6 months on these the first time.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
defeated ornstein & smough (3rd try). first time i survived longer than i thought i would but did hardly any damage to them. after that i went away and levelled up my gear and switched my claymore for the Zweihander. both my claymore/zweihander are +10 and my elite knight armor is +9. i'm lvl 64 now. second time i came so damn close, there was just a tiny bit of health left on Smough. Literally 1 more hit would have finished him off. On the third try Solaire lasted a little longer, i kept my cool, and defeated him.

I've got the lord vessel now. warping between bonfires is damn cool. i guess i need to go through those orange fogs now? i think at this point i might just focus on those optional areas i passed.

Is your weapon at +10? You could always get it to +15 but it means backtracking and at least one boss.

O&S is really all about spacing and timing. Use the pillars to separate them, try and keep them both in view at all times. Don't try to kill them both equally, one will always super-size, and whoever supersizes determines who's soul you get (and boss armour you can buy). Ornstein also drops a unique ring that is useful for thrust type weapons, but most would agree Smough is the easier of the two.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Is your weapon at +10? You could always get it to +15 but it means backtracking and at least one boss.

O&S is really all about spacing and timing. Use the pillars to separate them, try and keep them both in view at all times. Don't try to kill them both equally, one will always super-size, and whoever supersizes determines who's soul you get (and boss armour you can buy). Ornstein also drops a unique ring that is useful for thrust type weapons, but most would agree Smough is the easier of the two.

i've just updated my post. beat them after levelling up my gear.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Looks like I need to go to Darkroot Garden next to get a ring so I can face the boss in New Londo. After that it's off to The Duke's Archive/Crystal Cave, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, Catacombs/Tomb of Giants then finally Kiln of the First Flame.

Not sure how long that's gonna take me.

Looks like I need to go to Darkroot Garden next to get a ring so I can face the boss in New Londo. After that it's off to The Duke's Archive/Crystal Cave, Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, Catacombs/Tomb of Giants then finally Kiln of the First Flame.

Not sure how long that's gonna take me.

If it's your first time and you're not using a guide, I'd guess 10-15 hours. Also depends on what level you are now and your build.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
If it's your first time and you're not using a guide, I'd guess 10-15 hours. Also depends on what level you are now and your build.

I'm using a guide but a little as possible. I'm lvl 67 right now. Focusing mostly on HP, Endurance, Strength and Dexterity but will probably raise my attunement stat to get more slots.
____

Went to fight the Moonlight Butterfly. That was just pathetic. I used my Dragonslayer Greatbow and fired a few shots. Easy. Went to the Watchtower in the Basin to fight Havel The Rock. He hit hard but he didn't last long. Returned to the Darkroot Garden and took on Great Grey Wolf Sif. That was awesome but again not too difficult.

Been to New Londo Ruins. Died against the Four Kings. Died again...and again. I am doing damage but it's when all that purple stuff starts appearing I get hit with it even though I try run away and by the time I can get up and use an estus flask he hits me again and kills me.

Cathcart

Been to New Londo Ruins. Died against the Four Kings. Died again...and again. I am doing damage but it's when all that purple stuff starts appearing I get hit with it even though I try run away and by the time I can get up and use an estus flask he hits me again and kills me.

Yeah that spell is really hard to dodge, I think mostly because it's so hard to gauge how far away things are in that area. When it does hit you, don't get up and drink. Instead, get up and wait for the next sword attack, dodge it, then drink.

Just did 4K on my sorcerer last night. Took a few tries, but man it was a lot easier on my strength/endurance character. Just run right up and zweihandered the crap out of them, lol.

If it's the AoE ground blast, roll back 3 times, same for the grab.

There are two schools of thought on Four Kings - put on something like Havel's or Stone armour and tank it, two hand your weapon and Estus chug as needed. Not fancy, but it gets the job done. The other is to learn their (limited) movset and dodge roll everything. Either way you want to stay close unless you're rolling back from the AoE or grab and kill each one as fast possible so you only have one King active at a time.

However you do it, since it's a DPS race, try giving Power Within a go it helps a lot.

This is a fight I dreaded for along time, and would always tank it, but once I learned to dodge their attacks it became one of my favourites.

I'm using a guide but a little as possible. I'm lvl 67 right now. Focusing mostly on HP, Endurance, Strength and Dexterity but will probably raise my attunement stat to get more slots.
____

Went to fight the Moonlight Butterfly. That was just pathetic. I used my Dragonslayer Greatbow and fired a few shots. Easy. Went to the Watchtower in the Basin to fight Havel The Rock. He hit hard but he didn't last long. Returned to the Darkroot Garden and took on Great Grey Wolf Sif. That was awesome but again not too difficult.

Do you have the Prepare to Die edition? The DLC is really really good too.

Adaren

Hey GAF, technical troubleshooting question for my friend.

He's unable to play online currently (no messages, no bloodstains, can't use the White Sign Soapstone, no game version listed on the title screen).

When he starts up the game, the second message that comes up (after the "This game auto saves" one) comes and goes almost instantly. There's never a "Connecting to server..." message.

I tried forwarding a bunch of ports that I found on the Steam forums to no avail.
4379-4380
27000-27050

Only other thing that's odd is that, every time he starts the game up, he gets the "Will you allow Steam to make changes to this computer?" popup and Steam briefly displays a "Step 1/1: Installing" window (similar to the first time you start up a game). That might be completely unrelated, though.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Top Bottom