• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Sirstaroth

Neo Member
Hello fellow Gaffers,

Huge fan of the site. After buying this game a year ago and playing for just a few hours before setting it down due to graduate school work continuously keeping me busy, I have returned to play this game all the way through and I also pre-ordered Dark Souls 2. Is there any new tips that people could pass along to me? I picked the Warrior class and just arrived in Firelink Shrine.

LogicStep

Hello fellow Gaffers,

Huge fan of the site. After buying this game a year ago and playing for just a few hours before setting it down due to graduate school work continuously keeping me busy, I have returned to play this game all the way through and I also pre-ordered Dark Souls 2. Is there any new tips that people could pass along to me? I picked the Warrior class and just arrived in Firelink Shrine.

Welcome! Upgrading your equipment is better than leveling. So as you level don't forget to upgrade!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hello fellow Gaffers,

Two-hand your weapon and don't use a shield. Dump all your points into Resistance. Defense is very important, so the heavier the armor the better. When in doubt, sprint. Most enemies are too slow to catch up to you.

Have fun!

Hobobloke

Hello fellow Gaffers,

Two-hand your weapon and don't use a shield. Dump all your points into Resistance. Defense is very important, so the heavier the armor the better. When in doubt, sprint. Most enemies are too slow to catch up to you.

Have fun!

Ignore everything not bolded.

Oh and obligatory prepare to die.

Mindlog

Ignore everything not bolded.

Oh and obligatory prepare to die.
You forgot to bold the most important part!
Have fun!
Patience is key. Frustration may be common, but that just sweetens the VICTORY ACHIEVED splash screen. You don't have to worry too much about doing everything 'correctly.' Have fun. When everything seems to be going wrong: Yeah that's supposed to happen. Have fun.

Ferr986

Have fun!

you mean Endurance, right? Resistance is useless

Hobobloke

You forgot to bold the most important part!

Good catch!

For some actual advice from me, try to read the description of all the items you find, for things like keys it will help you figure out where they're used and other items often reveal hidden bonuses or lore details.

Poor
Ceaseless Discharge

I wasn't even really intending to fight it. It looked like something I should come back and kill later. I figured I'd just scope it out, then noticed that
it wasn't attacking me as I approached, and there was a corpse nearby.
Jackpot! So I grab the loot, then
of course, the boss awakens and starts throwing fire everywhere. I head back toward the fog gate, not really expecting to escape but hoping to see what it'll do to pursue me. Turns out that doing that can bait it off the edge and to its doom.

Hooray?

Gorillaz

Hello fellow Gaffers,

Shield up...if your using them

Eyes opened

Go crazy, if you get stuck just ask for hints or help

Sirstaroth

Neo Member
Thanks. From what I have read so far through the forums, I was going to go STR/END/VIT, and I assume I need some dex for certain weapons. Since I am at the beginning of the game should I get 20 Str and then pour the rest into END/VIT? And obviously focus on upgrading weapons and armor. Is there a weapon/armor I should think about holding on to through the game and just continue to upgrade?

mannerbot

Thanks. From what I have read so far through the forums, I was going to go STR/END/VIT, and I assume I need some dex for certain weapons. Since I am at the beginning of the game should I get 20 Str and then pour the rest into END/VIT? And obviously focus on upgrading weapons and armor. Is there a weapon/armor I should think about holding on to through the game and just continue to upgrade?

Anything you like will be fine as far as weapons/armor. Seriously. Just keep them upgraded and you'll be fine. As far as what stats to put points into, you should really see what weapon(s) you like and look at the scaling to see what you should level. End/vit are always good, don't put any points in resistance, but otherwise what you should level all depends on what playstyle you like, your weapons' minimum requirements, and what your weapons scale off of. There's no reason to arbitrarily level 20 str, you might wind up liking dexterity weapons etc.

Hello fellow Gaffers,

never give up. Trust your instincts ;). Practice and patience are key. I almost gave up completely on this not long ago, now its among my favorite games ever. Just keep pushing forward

In other news, are most other players like me in being stuck holding havel's ring? My equipment is so heavy (black knight halberd, Artorias greatshield) that I'm more or less forced to use it. Not sure if I should go lighter on armor or what

mannerbot

never give up. Trust your instincts ;). Practice and patience are key. I almost gave up completely on this not long ago, now its among my favorite games ever. Just keep pushing forward

In other news, are most other players like me in being stuck holding havel's ring? My equipment is so heavy (black knight halberd, Artorias greatshield) that I'm more or less forced to use it. Not sure if I should go lighter on armor or what

Do you need Havel's just to wear the equipment at all, or is it to get under 50% equip load? If the latter, you could always just equip another ring; judging by what you've said you're content to just let people hit you and tank it all, so what does it matter if you can roll or not? Otherwise, I recommend swapping out the greatshield for a medium size one (Grass Crest or Crest are good options) and swap out a few pieces of gear or go without gloves etc. to see how you like being under 50% equip load and under 25% equip load. Ring of Favor and Protection helps a lot and is probably the best ring in the game, but you'd be "stuck" with it as well so maybe not what you're after.

Do you need Havel's just to wear the equipment at all, or is it to get under 50% equip load? If the latter, you could always just equip another ring; judging by what you've said you're content to just let people hit you and tank it all, so what does it matter if you can roll or not? Otherwise, I recommend swapping out the greatshield for a medium size one (Grass Crest or Crest are good options) and swap out a few pieces of gear or go without gloves etc. to see how you like being under 50% equip load and under 25% equip load. Ring of Favor and Protection helps a lot and is probably the best ring in the game, but you'd be "stuck" with it as well so maybe not what you're after.
I'm under 50% with it on, but there are times I wish I had that slot for wolf ring instead. I'm already using favor and protection in the other slot

Its hard going back to medium shields after using this greattshield, it just eats everything with limited stamina loss. I really just want to have my cake (heavy equipment) and eat it too (fast movement) lol. Its hard deciding with I prefer

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Praise the Sun! Manus prevailed for five hours, but in the end, he, too, succumbed to my SL1 hero. I guess the key was learning the timing for dodging his Dark Bead attack.

I'm under 50% with it on, but there are times I wish I had that slot for wolf ring instead. I'm already using favor and protection in the other slot

Its hard going back to medium shields after using this greattshield, it just eats everything with limited stamina loss. I really just want to have my cake (heavy equipment) and eat it too (fast movement) lol. Its hard deciding with I prefer
I'm not sure why you need heavy armour if you have a greatshield. Or why you need a wolf ring either. To me, both seem like they are suitable for 2-handing. Also, some of the heavier armours have slower stamina regen, so it sounds counterproductive to me with the greatshield blocking.

soontroll

Banned
Praise the Sun! Manus prevailed for five hours, but in the end, he, too, succumbed to my SL1 hero. I guess the key was learning the timing for dodging his Dark Bead attack.

The only thing I don't get about SL1 runs is how you do enough damage. I can hit Manus for a decent chunk but then again I have high strength and a str scaling weapon.

Any reason to hold onto a divine weapon after the GY/Tomb of Giants if you're not using a faith build?

Divine weapons are good against the Four Kings but not necessary.

mannerbot

The only thing I don't get about SL1 runs is how you do enough damage. I can hit Manus for a decent chunk but then again I have high strength and a str scaling weapon.

Fully upgraded weapons do decent damage without stats (especially elemental, obviously), add Red Tearstone Ring + Green Blossoms, and don't get hit.

I'm not sure why you need heavy armour if you have a greatshield. Or why you need a wolf ring either. To me, both seem like they are suitable for 2-handing. Also, some of the heavier armours have slower stamina regen, so it sounds counterproductive to me with the greatshield blocking.
I'm not wearing heavy armor, never said I was. Its a mix medium sets. Just that my best equipment is heavy enough to push me over the 50% limit, hence the need for Havel's ring. Why wouldn't I want more poise?

Randam

try learn how to dodge moves.

i would do END first.

and yeah, always upgrade your stuff.
if cant upgrade any further, put the souls you have left into leveling.

and for normal shields, I recommand one of the two Kite Shields.
not to heavy, but one of the best stabilities.

I'm not wearing heavy armor, never said I was. Its a mix medium sets. Just that my best equipment is heavy enough to push me over the 50% limit, hence the need for Havel's ring. Why wouldn't I want more poise?
Too much is unnecessary. Do you really expect to poise tank more than 3 hits? But you need armour with good pose:weight ratios. Sometimes it's best to not even wear a chest, for example, and substitute it for Wolf. I use wolf quite a bit and when I do, the poise from my actual armour ranges from 0-15. Anything more I find to be overkill.

Do you have 40 end? If you don't, to me that's what it sounds like you'd want the most.

Too much is unnecessary. Do you really expect to poise tank more than 3 hits? But you need armour with good pose:weight ratios. Sometimes it's best to not even wear a chest, for example, and substitute it for Wolf. I use wolf quite a bit and when I do, the poise from my actual armour ranges from 0-15. Anything more I find to be overkill.

Do you have 40 end? If you don't, to me that's what it sounds like you'd want the most.
no, not yet. I'm around 30.

The DLC bosses made me realize how slow my character is (specifically Artorias and the current thorn in my side, Kalameet) and gave me enough issues to make me reconsider my set up. Hopefully I'll be fine for the rest of the game, idk. I just took out the four kings with little issue even though I was over 50% for that fight and I realize Kalameet is optional.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still using the Hollow Soldier Shield that I picked up within the first hour of the game. Should I get a Caduceus Kite Shield from Andre or can I stick with this shield? It seems to be doing the job quite well so far. I also have an Eagle Shield but that only prevents 95% of damage instead of 100%.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's probably fine if it works for you, but that .5 extra pound does not really bring anything good. You'll eventually find a couple of really good 3.0 shields (instead of 3.5 like the Hollow soldier one), including the grass crest shield (not 100% block but almost, and with stamina regen bonus), the dragon crest shield (great for blocking fire) and the crest shield (great for blocking magic), most people prefer those. The lightest 100% block shield is the Heater shield, at 2.0, so you might want to get that one instead of the caduceus kite shield.

mannerbot

I'm still using the Hollow Soldier Shield that I picked up within the first hour of the game. Should I get a Caduceus Kite Shield from Andre or can I stick with this shield? It seems to be doing the job quite well so far. I also have an Eagle Shield but that only prevents 95% of damage instead of 100%.

Hollow Soldier Shield is fine. I mean, it's pretty clearly worse than the Tower Kite Shield but the difference is negligible. If you really want an upgrade or to try something different go with a Grass Crest Shield, Crest Shield, Balder Shield, or Black Knight Shield.

Soulhouf

Eagle Shield is one of the best in the entire game, really.
It's light for a great shield and has an insane stability.
Don't be fooled by the 95%, the damage you take when blocking is insignificant.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping Balder Shield and Black Knight Shield would drop for me (and I usually go out of my way to kill Balder Knights) but no luck so far. I just entered Darkroot Garden so maybe I'll try to find the Grass Crest Shield.

I also didn't realize the Eagle Shield was all that good. I'll give it a shot as well.

Inskipp

Kite shields are decent, but if you're willing to purchase a shield, I'd personally recommend the heater shield from undead burg (merchant sells it). It shares very similar stats with the hollow shield and only weighs 2 units.
I was hoping Balder Shield and Black Knight Shield
You can buy the balder shield from Sen's fortress.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Luckily got Kalameet's tail off so I can just wallop him now. After he's done I'm going to look around for anything I might of missed and then head off to finish the game. Here's what I'm at right now:

SL 91 Bandit

Vit: 37
Att: 10
End: 40
Str: 36
Dex: 15
Res: -
Int: 10
Fai: 14

R1: Lightning Zweihander
R2: Bare Fist
L1: Greatshield of Artorias
L2: Bare Fist

Armor:
Painting Guardian Hood
Havel's Armor
Havel's Gauntlets
Hollow Warrior Waistcloth

Rings:
Havel's Ring
Ring of Steel Protection

No Spells

I'm wearing the helm and legs to be able to midroll. Should I just forego my Greatshield and Havel pieces for a more well rounded build (Maybe even getting to 25% if possible.)? I feel like while Zweihander is great, it's just soooo slow.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Alright, Kalameet is done. Is the DLC area like Painted World where there is an exit somewhere, or do you just warp out?

Randam

kite shield(s) all the way.

after the silver/black knight shields and the balder shield, the best normal shield in the game.
best normal shield would be the silver knight shield.

never gave much about the elemental resistances.

Just incredible. This man takes great screenshots.

This on in particular...

bugzilla.jpg

kite shield(s) all the way.

after the silver/black knight shields and the balder shield, the best normal shield in the game.
best normal shield would be the silver knight shield.

never gave much about the elemental resistances.

Did you mean the Heater Shield? Compared to the Caduceus or Tower Kite Shield, it's 1 unit lighter with a little less stability, and a lower STR requirement.

Also, do people use small (parry) shields? Everyone I've ever summoned never used them.

Ketch

Alright, Kalameet is done. Is the DLC area like Painted World where there is an exit somewhere, or do you just warp out?

Ok, So I need tips for Kalameet. I've attempted it like 5 or 6 times now with complete failure. I think the most I've done is like 2 hits for around 400 damage each. The flame breath seems undodgeable and unblockable so I don't know what.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, So I need tips for Kalameet. I've attempted it like 5 or 6 times now with complete failure. I think the most I've done is like 2 hits for around 400 damage each. The flame breath seems undodgeable and unblockable so I don't know what.
You need to go talk to Hawkeye Gough first, above the arena you fought Artorias. Did you find the Crest Key in the township?

Also, do people use small (parry) shields? Everyone I've ever summoned never used them.
I use small shields, but not the ones with the bigger parry window. I prefer the faster frames on the regular small shields. But coop it's usually pointless. Most boss runs have few parryable monsters along the way. Only a full clear of Anor Londo would I make most use of it. 2h usually is faster for boss farming.

I don't think I'd ever use kite or heater. Good shields but if I'ma go medium, it's gotta be crest. Otherwise I go small for weight and parry.

Top Bottom