• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Ketch

You need to go talk to Hawkeye Gough first, above the arena you fought Artorias. Did you find the Crest Key in the township?

yea done that.. I mean while actually fighting him. I'm thinking maybe I need to summon help for this guy. I mean manus was a piece of cake compared to this guy.

yea done that.. I mean while actually fighting him. I'm thinking maybe I need to summon help for this guy. I mean manus was a piece of cake compared to this guy.

Really? I thought Manus was way tougher. Kalameet felt pretty easy to me. All his attack tells were easily recognizable. Of course, I spent a lot of time going after his tail so I was behind him for most of the battle :D

Ketch

Really? I thought Manus was way tougher. Kalameet felt pretty easy to me. All his attack tells were easily recognizable. Of course, I spent a lot of time going after his tail so I was behind him for most of the battle :D

Yea I was able to just stay up in manus' grill and block all his attacks I couldn't dodge... but Kalameet's various fire attacks are proving harder to avoid... and you really can't block them. Maybe I should try flash sweat? Or just not locking on and running around like it's an S&O fight.

VandalD

Yea I was able to just stay up in manus' grill and block all his attacks I couldn't dodge... but Kalameet's various fire attacks are proving harder to avoid... and you really can't block them. Maybe I should try flash sweat? Or just not locking on and running around like it's an S&O fight.
If it's the one where he flies up in the air, you just run away as fast as you can. If it's any of the ones where he flames straight in front of him, as long as you're circling him, you should strafe or be able to roll out of the way, with your shield up just in case. If it's the one where he starts flaming to his left and slowly turns right, either charge him and get some quick hits in, or run away depending on how close you are to him. Once you lose lock on by running, you're well out of range of his flames. Worked out for me at <25% equip load.

2AdEPT

Whether you want to dismiss it as "easy mode" or not, it's necessarily easier as you said. I've tried to get friends into this game because obviously I think it's a great game and I think they'll like it a lot if they give it a chance. However, one of the roadblocks is the game's undeserved reputation for having masochistic difficulty. People just get a mental block and want to give up, or they'll bang their heads against the wall (aka go to Catacombs first) because rather than realize that they probably shouldn't be in that area, they're figuring that the game's just THAT hard. I try to help out as much as possible without spoiling things.

Now, obviously, if they really wanted help they could just summon me. Co-op is great, it's a lot of fun. Problem here is if they summon me and we co-op, I'm going to be robbing them of that same great experience of figuring out the game and overcoming challenges that I had. Dark Souls won me over in the tutorial, with the way that you feel so defenseless and weak at first but manage to overcome what looked like an unbeatable enemy in the Asylum Demon. This cycle of helplessness and accomplishment basically continues through the whole game, but if I co-op with a friend the whole time I'm taking that away from them. If they're struggling on a boss that I know they can beat, letting myself be summoned and doing the boss for them allows them to progress in the game but it's a hollow victory. That's why I would recommend that new players go without summons their first time, and it's pretty much the same reason I would heavily advise against using a walkthrough. It's got nothing to do with bragging rights or anything like that.

It takes a good deal of insight to try to ascertain what each player's comfort level is for help, and when too much help spoils it. Most players will quit without the help and most will enjoy the community aspect more than the elation from doing it themselves. Subsequent playthroughs, once the "i get it now" factor comes in, is fine for the self indulgence.

Many bosses that have aoe's actually have magic damage in there...not fire...queelag and stray demon e.g. I cant remember if kalameet is one of the magic breathing [checks] yeah I was right its magic...dont use flash sweat...the flames are dark sorcery and physical damage. Try upping your magic defence. Use crest shield etc.

VandalD

Many bosses that have aoe's actually have magic damage in there...not fire...queelag and stray demon e.g. I cant remember if kalameet is one of the magic breathing [checks] yeah I was right its magic...dont use flash sweat...the flames are dark sorcery and physical damage. Try upping your magic defence. Use crest shield etc.
So that's why the Black Knight Shield wasn't working out so well for me against Kalameet..

Randam

Did you mean the Heater Shield? Compared to the Caduceus or Tower Kite Shield, it's 1 unit lighter with a little less stability, and a lower STR requirement.

Also, do people use small (parry) shields? Everyone I've ever summoned never used them.

no, the kite shields.

Hypron

Anyway, blocking Kalameet's breath is a pretty bad idea regardless of what shield you're wearing :p Going light and running/rolling around him/her is the way to go.

So I FINALLY make it to crystal caves. Those stupid sorcerers were a pain in the archives, but I made it outside and into the cave. I jump down to the moonlight butterfly and...my 360 freezes up. Piece of shit. Annoying that I probably lost progress, but whatever. Until I restart my console. It will turn on but cant get any picture; my 360 is toast. I planned on jumping into next gen soon anyway but I can't play DS2 that way. I almost had this game beat too.

Sorry for the off topic post, just needed to vent. Fuck. FUCK. FUUUUUUUUUUCK

Vastag

When killing the Golden Golem down in darkroot basin I messed up a combo and killed the chick trapped inside... did I just fucked myself out of the DLC?

Judderman

drawer by drawer

Yeah, I didn't use lock-on during Kalameet. It messes up when you're trying to escape from his various fire attacks. I was at <50% equip load and could easily escape all of his attacks, you just have to recognize his tells (If he flies straight up it's his AOE flame, if he flies towards you he's probably going to do his flame breath from one side to the other, if he gets on his hind legs he's doing either Telekinesis or another fire attack.)

Most of the time when you approach him after he's gotten some distance on you, he's going to do his 1-2 head swipe attack. I tried to stay around his back right leg for most of the fight. It's not too bad once you get a feel for him.

Chitown B

killed
Havel
. Not that hard. But I didn't get any weapons or armor, which sucks. The ring is nice, but I wish it did more. I still need to level up some to get completely "light"

DaciaJC

Gold Member
The only thing I don't get about SL1 runs is how you do enough damage. I can hit Manus for a decent chunk but then again I have high strength and a str scaling weapon.

For Manus, I two-handed my Lightning Battle Axe +5 and used Power Within. I was doing something like 340 damage with one R2 attack and 230 when PW had expired. I only had a shield in my hand when he did his Dark Circle attack, as I couldn't consistently roll through that one.

Against Kalameet, though, it's true, I feel like I'm barely grazing him. I think I do a paltry 140 damage with a two-handed R2. It seems like this is going to be very much a battle of attrition.

Randam

The only thing I don't get about SL1 runs is how you do enough damage. I can hit Manus for a decent chunk but then again I have high strength and a str scaling weapon.
/QUOTE]

it is all about weapon upgrades.

killed
Havel
. Not that hard. But I didn't get any weapons or armor, which sucks. The ring is nice, but I wish it did more. I still need to level up some to get completely "light"
you'll find his stuff later.

and you guys srsly need to learn when and how to use spoilers.

the name havel is not spoiler.
and if it would be, how should anyone, even someone who beat the game and the character already know, what to expect behind that spoieler?

Chitown B

I don't really know what would be spoilers here.

Anyway, I kicked the Hydra's ass. But I fell into an invisible cliff in the water once before that. Stupid geometry.

Ketch

Yeah, I didn't use lock-on during Kalameet. It messes up when you're trying to escape from his various fire attacks. I was at <50% equip load and could easily escape all of his attacks, you just have to recognize his tells (If he flies straight up it's his AOE flame, if he flies towards you he's probably going to do his flame breath from one side to the other, if he gets on his hind legs he's doing either Telekinesis or another fire attack.)

Most of the time when you approach him after he's gotten some distance on you, he's going to do his 1-2 head swipe attack. I tried to stay around his back right leg for most of the fight. It's not too bad once you get a feel for him.

Alright thanks for the tips. I'll give it another shot tonight.

Randam

I don't really know what would be spoilers here.

Anyway, I kicked the Hydra's ass. But I fell into an invisible cliff in the water once before that. Stupid geometry.

stuff like locations of hidden passanges. i.e.
stuff that people want to find on there own.

and that cliss is visible. ;)

Chitown B

not visible in the water if you're looking at it normally. Was running to the Hydra to hit it since I couldn't do anything else at the moment, and just fell right off. Had to go to the other side next time (barely killed it with arrows at the end - the final head would not get to me, and the water just makes you run like molasses)

Ferr986

I remember losing 5 million there and a bunch of humanity. Due to stupidness. I just pvp now days,but it still hurt...a lot.

What happened?

Same as always with me and this game. I lost the souls and when trying to get them back I rushed it and... fell down a cliff u_u

I'm in NG+2 to finish off trophies, I was wrecking Taurus Demon in Undead Burg, then he decided he didn't want any more and jumped backward off the bridge.

Mindlog

I'm in NG+2 to finish off trophies, I was wrecking Taurus Demon in Undead Burg, then he decided he didn't want any more and jumped backward off the bridge.
I still can't believe how easy Dark Bead and Crystal Spear made NG++. Everything melts. I had to get all the way to defeating O&S because I ate one of their souls on my first playthrough thinking I wasn't going to bother with the final trophies. However, my character was so strong that it basically turned into a speed run. I may have finished NG++ O&S faster than any other run.

Pursuers is pretty strong, but it takes up two slots and decent PvP players know how to evade it. Bad PvP players are just as easily dispatched through other means.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I wish people would realize that asking for help without mentioning SL and platform is counter-productive.

PROBLEM: Passive aggression.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: "Let us know what your level and platform is and we'll see what we can do!"

Soulhouf

I hope the Dark Slayer (Moonlight Sword's rival) will be in Dark Souls II.
It has a very cool design:

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

(screens taken from King's Field II)

Has anyone here managed a no deaths playthrough? I've been trying it for fun since yesterday...it's actually pretty enjoyable, albeit very frustrating. It really makes you focus on every encounter. It makes everything really tense. I've made it as far as Capra without dying...

I'm not doing it like the speedrunners do, though, since they just run past most of the enemies. That can really reduce the difficulty, I think. I'm making a point to fight most enemies and pick up most items. It's fun, but so frustrating when I actually do end up dying.

My goal is to to get to and beat O&S without ever dying. The rest of the game, eh, don't care as much.

Does no death entail that you can level up?

So I've been having weird controller issues where it randomly switches weapons and other such oddities. After googling for a solution, I also came across this weapon switch glitch that supposedly allows you to swap movesets. For example, hold a spear, perform the glitch, then equip a great hammer that now has the spear's moveset. Anyone heard of or tried this?

mannerbot

So I've been having weird controller issues where it randomly switches weapons and other such oddities. After googling for a solution, I also came across this weapon switch glitch that supposedly allows you to swap movesets. For example, hold a spear, perform the glitch, then equip a great hammer that now has the spear's moveset. Anyone heard of or tried this?

The Optimelle speedrun route is basically built around this. You moveswap the Black Knight Greatsword with an Estoc so that you get the two-hit running attack. It doesn't swap the whole moveset, just the running and rolling attacks.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
I started a new Wanderer on PC after quitting with my warrior due to stacked curses on my 360 playthrough ages ago. So far so good and I have my Schmitar up at +5 and an am SL22 after beating the gargoyles. Now I am at the age old Capra Demon problem. I cannot beat that goat faced monstrocity no matter what I try. I made a run or two at Havel aswell and am being killed in one hit.

So a bit stuck as to where else to go really. I have a few titanite shards is it worth upgrading my armour set or is that a waste? Im rocking a Balder shield and still keeping optimum roll speed but I doubt upgrading that is going to help me much either. I have been pumping mostly Dex and End with a couple of points in Vit.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Finished NG, just finished the ringing the first bell in NG+. This Fire Gargoyle Halberd +10 is great! Everything is just dying super fast. Havel was a piece of cake this time around, too.

mannerbot

I started a new Wanderer on PC after quitting with my warrior due to stacked curses on my 360 playthrough ages ago. So far so good and I have my Schmitar up at +5 and an am SL22 after beating the gargoyles. Now I am at the age old Capra Demon problem. I cannot beat that goat faced monstrocity no matter what I try. I made a run or two at Havel aswell and am being killed in one hit.

So a bit stuck as to where else to go really. I have a few titanite shards is it worth upgrading my armour set or is that a waste? Im rocking a Balder shield and still keeping optimum roll speed but I doubt upgrading that is going to help me much either. I have been pumping mostly Dex and End with a couple of points in Vit.

Don't give up, you can beat Capra/Havel. I guess you didn't get that far on your 360 playthrough?
Havel is intimidating because he does one-shot you, but he's actually really really easy. I'm going to assume that you're not good at parrying because if you were you wouldn't have any problems. Just two-hand your weapon, keep circling to your right/his left, dodge forward at the last moment, and backstab after he's whiffed. As for Capra, just go right at first then go up the stairs and kill the dogs first, then he should be pretty easy. Can plunge attack if you want, or else just dodge his telegraphed attacks and punish.

ultron87

Had a good day today. Beat Four Kings after probably 20 or so attempts over the last week and got through the miserable zone that is Lost Izalith and took down Bed of Chaos as well.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Don't give up, you can beat Capra/Havel. I guess you didn't get that far on your 360 playthrough?
Havel is intimidating because he does one-shot you, but he's actually really really easy. I'm going to assume that you're not good at parrying because if you were you wouldn't have any problems. Just two-hand your weapon, keep circling to your right/his left, dodge forward at the last moment, and backstab after he's whiffed. As for Capra, just go right at first then go up the stairs and kill the dogs first, then he should be pretty easy. Can plunge attack if you want, or else just dodge his telegraphed attacks and punish.

I beat capra on my 360 run after at least 20 attempts. It was the frogs that broke my will. I am determined this time though. Will just keep trying I guess, thanks for the tips.

Anustart

Hmm. So I'm trying to play some right now, and even though I'm signed into GFWL the game keeps reporting that the game will start in offline mode?

Anyone having or had this issue? I'm signed into GFWL but the game says Nope, fuck you, we're not going to let you load your save file because we say you're not online!

Edit: Never mind, I had disabled the steam overlay for the game because I was going to stream i and I hear that the OBS has trouble if you left it on. Turned the overlay back on and the game connected :/ Oh ell,

In 250 hours of play, I have never once summoned a human ally for general co-op throughout an area. Last night, I popped my co-op cherry in Anor Londo with two fellow players...

... And it made the game totally trivial. It was really weird. My first time through the game was 99% on my own and the experience was undoubtedly all the more special for it. Basically, unless all privy are on the same page in terms of experience and pacing, I can't fathom why anyone would want to play DS that way. I think I'd rather cop the D from invaders than turn the game into that.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Is it just me or does it not make much sense that upgrading a +10 weapon (in my case, Reinforced Club) to Lightning +1 results in drastically lower damage output against an enemy like Kalameet? The difference in physical damage seems small (20, though that doesn't account for stats scaling, but that shouldn't matter much at SL1), and I imagined the extra 174 lightning damage would more than make up for it. Aren't dragons supposed to be vulnerable to lightning?

Still managed to beat him with a Raw RC +5. I can now understand why many SL1ers prefer this weapon, the R2 attack is most useful.

mannerbot

Is it just me or does it not make much sense that upgrading a +10 weapon (in my case, Reinforced Club) to Lightning +1 results in drastically lower damage output against an enemy like Kalameet? The difference in physical damage seems small (20, though that doesn't account for stats scaling, but that shouldn't matter much at SL1), and I imagined the extra 174 lightning damage would more than make up for it. Aren't dragons supposed to be vulnerable to lightning?

The DLC bosses have strong resistances to elemental damage. The developers really regretted making elemental damage so overpowered in the base game.

Tawpgun

In 250 hours of play, I have never once summoned a human ally for general co-op throughout an area. Last night, I popped my co-op cherry in Anor Londo with two fellow players...

... And it made the game totally trivial. It was really weird. My first time through the game was 99% on my own and the experience was undoubtedly all the more special for it. Basically, unless all privy are on the same page in terms of experience and pacing, I can't fathom why anyone would want to play DS that way. I think I'd rather cop the D from invaders than turn the game into that.

Not sure if it would make sense canonically, but they could do what other games do for co-op.

Make the enemies harder and/or increase enemy count.

Perhaps when you summon someone some of the monsters from their realm come in with them. So you fight normal enemies, and phantom enemies. And Bosses would get a boost in health. I think they already do actually.

Top Bottom