• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Chitown B

what the fuck. I've been booted from Xbox Live twice in the last 10 minutes. Each time it loses connection it boots me out of Dark Souls.

It's not my internet - everything else works just fine.

what the fuck. I've been booted from Xbox Live twice in the last 10 minutes. Each time it loses connection it boots me out of Dark Souls.

It's not just you. It's happening for a bunch of people.
Hopefully they get it fixed soon.

sikkinixx

YEAH, speaking of the wonder twins:

Grats! I just beat them myself last night. Holy shit you have a lot of health. I'm less than 2/3s that and I just escapes the Ariamias painting.

I also always find it weird to see people in bulky armour. I've been rolling with rags and some chain mail leggings since I got to sens fortress. Too addicted to the seemingly long invincibility the ninja flip gives me. It would have been amazing pre patch to have the 50% weight load plus ninja flips. I ground out about 9 levels to get my endurance up to 33 now (vitality still a lowly 19) and my faith up to 34 so my divined up claymore still wrecks shit.

Chitown B

checked off the list tonight:

Killed the golden crystal golem, got the lady

Got the magic ember and gave to the blacksmith (didn't kill the mushroom dudes - WTF??)

Killed all the huge cats

Killed Gaping Dragon and got his tail

Killed Lautrec, because fuck that guy

checked off the list tonight:

Killed the golden crystal golem, got the lady

Got the magic ember and gave to the blacksmith (didn't kill the mushroom dudes - WTF??)

Killed all the huge cats

Killed Gaping Dragon and got his tail

Killed Lautrec, because fuck that guy

Regarding the first and last spoilers:

you can return to the area where you rescued Dusk to get her armor drop, if you haven't yet. it has good Curse resistance. You can also summon her near the hydra location (where the Knight armor was lying) and she sells you spells.

By killing Lautrec early, you lost the chance to advance a quest line where you can kill him after he does something evil and acquire his armor. But the ring he dropped is pretty cool, although it breaks if you remove it.

2AdEPT

you can return to the area where you rescued Dusk to get her armor drop, if you haven't yet. it has good Curse resistance. You can also summon her near the hydra location (where the Knight armor was lying) and she sells you spells.

By killing Lautrec early, you lost the chance to advance a quest line where you can kill him after he does something evil and acquire his armor. But the ring he dropped is pretty cool, although it breaks if you remove it.

I just watched a new player live stream where the player killed an NPC that was "mean" to her.....just for new player reference, Dark souls does not offer up any non-useful NPC's there RARELY is a use to killing them early unless you are doing a speed run etc. ALWAYS figure out a way to let even the most annoying NPC live as long as possible unless you know what yo are doing....there are usually perpetual rewards. Once they go hollow and attack you, then kill them. There is one notable exception:
Petrus...buy his shit and kill him once you have what you need.

I haven't cast a single spell in Dark Souls yet. I'm not sure but I think I need to level either intelligence or attunement? I need slots apparently, whatever that is. Been putting all of my levels into STR, END, and VIT.
It's better to do a separate character for magic or faith builds since you just end up spreading your stats too thin otherwise or not getting access to the best spells which require high investment in INT or Faith. Pyromancy on the other hand isn't tied to any stat (other than Attunement which increases how many spells you can "carry"), so any character build can use it, and very effective it is too. Rip through bosses with Power Within for example.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Happened to me twice last night too, very annoying.

MilkBeard

It's better to do a separate character for magic or faith builds since you just end up spreading your stats too thin otherwise or not getting access to the best spells which require high investment in INT or Faith. Pyromancy on the other hand isn't tied to any stat (other than Attunement which increases how many spells you can "carry"), so any character build can use it, and very effective it is too. Rip through bosses with Power Within for example.

Dex does help pyromancy.

Chitown B

thanks. I'll check back for her later.

To the second one - I knew about that and I was OK with it, since I didn't want him to do that. I didn't care about the armor.

Rizzi

Man, fuck the white guys inside of the church in Anor Londo.
Oooh look at me flip all over the place while my buddies throw knives at you and back stab you.
Fucking bullshit mobs.

Mistel

Banned
Belfry gargoyles suck, I'm in full elite knight armor with a claymore 3+ and a grass crest shield. And they just slaughter me, I might get balder knight armor.

Do I need to talk to laurtec in firelink to summon him for the gargoyles fight?

My xp is going to str and sex should I put some in stamina and faith? (not that I know how to use miracles)

got this game last night on GOD for $20 and man is it difficult. I'm patient so I don't really mind the difficulty cause it's also a ton of fun, but I'm stuck at the skeletons at Lordren and I keep dying :(

time to watch some walkthroughs.. :p

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I just watched a new player live stream where the player killed an NPC that was "mean" to her.....just for new player reference, Dark souls does not offer up any non-useful NPC's there RARELY is a use to killing them early unless you are doing a speed run etc. ALWAYS figure out a way to let even the most annoying NPC live as long as possible unless you know what yo are doing....there are usually perpetual rewards. Once they go hollow and attack you, then kill them. There is one notable exception:

First thing I did when I got to Firelink Shrine in NG+ was:

1) Check if he had anything I didn't have already.
2) Get his gesture again for some reason
3) Proceed to destroy him.

It felt real good.

Oooh look at me flip all over the place while my buddies throw knives at you and back stab you.
Fucking bullshit mobs.

I pulled those guys one at a time and used the pillars to make them come to me. Makes that room a bit easier.

got this game last night on GOD for $20 and man is it difficult. I'm patient so I don't really mind the difficulty cause it's also a ton of fun, but I'm stuck at the skeletons at Lordren and I keep dying :(

Noooo, don't do it! I assume you're talking about the skeletons in the graveyard, if that's the case that's not where you should be.

Chitown B

Belfry gargoyles suck, I'm in full elite knight armor with a claymore 3+ and a grass crest shield. And they just slaughter me, I might get balder knight armor.

My xp is going to str and sex should I put some in stamina and faith? (not that I know how to use miracles)

you should dump a bunch into END (stamina). don't bother with faith unless you want to be a cleric. Sounds like with Elite Knight Armor you want to go more tank.

Summon Solaire. If you haven't recruited him yet, you should. He'll tank those gargoyles for you.

Chitown B

I didn't care about his armor and I didn't want him to carry out his deed.

Noooo, don't do it! I assume you're talking about the skeletons in the graveyard, if that's the case that's not where you should be.

i went there at first, but then i found a staircase to the very right of the firelink bonfire. i think it goes to the demon bridge boss.

I think the skeletons are a rite of passage for new players, heh.

yes they are.... :(

i can't down them even with my morning star :(

Mengy

I remember back when I first got Dark Souls, and before the game "clicked" for me, my first direction after reaching Firelink was the graveyard, and of course I died horribly every time I ventured in there. I'd play for an hour, then quit in frustration. A week later I'd try it again, and of course just get frustrated. I'd always heard how hard the game was, so I though I just wasn't good enough or something. Then one day I realized that there were other directions you can go from Firelink. Once I realized that I had been hitting my head against a brick wall and been too dumb to try another direction, well I felt like an idiot.

Then I made slow and tedious progress all the way to the Taurus Demon. That was my new brick wall, and he stumped me for two weeks of frustrated rage quits again.

Then I learned how to roll and dodge.

And then I learned how to manage my endurance while blocking.

And suddenly, the game opened up, and I've been loving every second of it since.

But yeah, those damn graveyard skeletons, lol.

Mistel

Banned
you should dump a bunch into END (stamina). don't bother with faith unless you want to be a cleric. Sounds like with Elite Knight Armor you want to go more tank.

Summon Solaire. If you haven't recruited him yet, you should. He'll tank those gargoyles for you.
Okay I'll do that, I've got no intention of going the cleric route. I started as a knight I aim to have a tank for fights. So solaire is that good then?

I remember back when I first got Dark Souls, and before the game "clicked" for me, my first direction after reaching Firelink was the graveyard, and of course I died horribly every time I ventured in there. I'd play for an hour, then quit in frustration. A week later I'd try it again, and of course just get frustrated. I'd always heard how hard the game was, so I though I just wasn't good enough or something. Then one day I realized that there were other directions you can go from Firelink. Once I realized that I had been hitting my head against a brick wall and been too dumb to try another direction, well I felt like an idiot.

Then I made slow and tedious progress all the way to the Taurus Demon. That was my new brick wall, and he stumped me for two weeks of frustrated rage quits again.

Then I learned how to roll and dodge.

And then I learned how to manage my endurance while blocking.

And suddenly, the game opened up, and I've been loving every second of it since.

But yeah, those damn graveyard skeletons, lol.

haha yess. I'm in the exact same position as you were in. those damn skeletons :(

I still need to get used to the controls though. i keep hitting x and using my potions :(

Mengy

haha yess. I'm in the exact same position as you were in. those damn skeletons :(

I still need to get used to the controls though. i keep hitting x and using my potions :(

The start is hard, there is a learning curve to the game that takes a bit of time to "sink in". But stick with it, because man once it clicks (and it will) the game becomes so incredibly awesome. Dark Souls may be one of the finest games I've ever played, certainly one of the most satisfying with regard to feelings of accomplishment and fun.

Chitown B

finally made a divine weapon, so I should make short work of them now :)

Also going to make this since I killed
Sif
:

http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Greatsword+of+Artorias+(cursed)

That should hopefully work on the ghosts in New Londo.

Okay I'll do that, I've got no intention of going the cleric route. I started as a knight I aim to have a tank for fights. So solaire is that good then?

he's good - have you met him yet? he's near the opposite end of the dragon bridge, on the balcony.

Randam

I haven't cast a single spell in Dark Souls yet. I'm not sure but I think I need to level either intelligence or attunement? I need slots apparently, whatever that is. Been putting all of my levels into STR, END, and VIT.

So I made my way through the Duke's Archives now and I'm down in Crystal Caves. This place is strange, and those gold crystal guys are not fun. They've thrown me off the path to my death many times. I did kill one though and it looks like they don't respawn, so thats good.

I'm wondering if I'm in an area I shouldn't be yet. Maybe I'll head back to finish up Darkroot Garden instead, or explore New Londo, which I've barely set foot in yet.

after you beat O&S, there isnt an area, where you shouldnt be.

get a shield with higher stability and one that blocks 100% of physical damage.
kite shield from the blacksmith or balder shield.

maybe put down some of the armor, to get faster.

and yes, but points in stamina!!
way more important then str and dex.
you need that to wear heavier stuff and to block stronger attacks.

NOOOOO!!! don't

if you keep dying over an over again, even after you tried every tactic, you are in the wrong place.

take a look around firelink shrine.
and talk to the guy sitting there.
he tells you where the to bells are, you are supposed to ring.

For me it was wandering down into New Londo Ruins. I thought I was going the right way because it's all Hollows before you get there. I was so wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3d94pxVRQU

Mistel

Banned
he's good - have you met him yet? he's near the opposite end of the dragon bridge, on the balcony.
Yeah I met him and he said I can summon him now. I need to be human to summon him so it's just making it to the summon marker with the one humanity I have.

I've got a kite shield and a knight shield are they both better than the grass crest one?

Chitown B

Yeah I met him and he said I can summon him now. I need to be human to summon him so it's just making it to the summon marker with the one humanity I have.

I've got a kite shield and a knight shield are they both better than the grass crest one?

kite is better than knight. kite and grass are about equal, but each have benefits. grass regens stamina a bit faster if you're wearing it, but it lets through 5% of the damage, and it's a little less stable.

I recommend you the grass shiled for its ability to regen stanima at least after you get to the second part of the game, you can use a two hands sword mode and still get the buff.

Randam

do you know how the weapon/shield stats work?

kite shield is lighter than the knight shield, but has better stability.

the grass shield is as heavy as the kite shield, bit has less stability and only blocks 95% of physical damage.

Fucking bullshit mobs.

Nothing compares to my hatred of batwing demons and their preternatural ability to evade my attacks. I'd rather fight a horde of skeleton dogs.

Kamaji

.Any tips on what to level up? I only play PVE and i'm close to the end on my first New game+. I've started leveling up intelligence and faith to 20 each since I want to try a sword but after that i've got no clue.

Soul Level:153
Vit: 40
Att: 8
End: 50
Str: 40
Dex: 50
Res: 11
Int: 16
Faith: 20

I use the following gear

Bow: Black Bow of Pharis+15
Weapon: Sunlight Straight Sword+15 / Iaito+15 / Claymore +14
Shield: Grass Crest Shield+15 / Eagle Shield +14
Head: Elite Knight Helm +10
Chest: Armor of the Sun +10
Hands: Elite Knight Gauntlets +9
Legs: Elite Knight Leggings +10

Accessories: Ring of Steel Protection, Havel's Ring & Covetous Silver Serpent Ring mostly.

I want to continue using mostly melee/archery since I was a heavy mage build before and in Demon's souls as well.

PS: Tips on new good gear would also help!

Randam

.Any tips on what to level up?
PS: Tips on new good gear would also help!

doesnt matter, if you only do PVE.
do what you want.
but remember, above 40 points, you start getting less benefits from leveling up that stat further.
above 50 is almost useless.

about your gear: composite bow is better with your high stats in str and dex.

your shields both dont block 100% of physical damage.

weapons: what you like.
claymore is pretty good.

what ng+ are you on?
a lot will tell you, that you should swap the steel protection ring for something else.

Chitown B

well I feel stupid. I've been wearing my Elite Knight Armor this whole time but I've had the Stone Armor for awhile, and it's not much heavier, but so much more badass.

Mengy

well I feel stupid. I've been wearing my Elite Knight Armor this whole time but I've had the Stone Armor for awhile, and it's not much heavier, but so much more badass.

I've fallen in love with the Silver Knight armor. Been wearing it for awhile now, and while it might not be the best choice (I have no idea if it is or not) it's been working well for me. Plus it has the bonus of looking badass.

Hobobloke

Looking badass should be the primary reason for wearing any armour really.

Which is why everyone should be wearing the Guardian set.

Looking badass should be the primary reason for wearing any armour really.

Which is why everyone should be wearing the Guardian set.

This makes me so happy. It's a sentiment I wish the whole community shared. Not that there's anything wrong with playing to win. I'm just a perpetual roleplayer.

Randam

cheat piece? I've been wearing the elite knight except I did have the black knight helmet.

Seems like the stone armor is really good all around. Plus with Havel's I can still medium roll.

lol, meant chest piece.

and you said stone armor is not much heavier, but the full elite knight set weighs 26.8 and the stone set 45.2.

Chitown B

lol, meant chest piece.

and you said stone armor is not much heavier, but the full elite knight set weighs 26.8 and the stone set 45.2.

ha, whoops. I must've just been looking at difference between chest pieces. Well then. I might be able to boost END up enough still, since right now with the Havel Ring it's at 103 I think. Using Claymore and Tower Kite.

edit: from memory, this is what I'm at:

http://mmdks.com/5p7k

so if I level up END one more, I think, I can do all stone except the helmet and still mid roll

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I found some awesome leather pants for my female character in the Lower Undead Burg and I have been wearing them ever since then. I have much more defensive and badass leg pieces but I'm never going to wear them because the idea of this chick running around the world of Dark Souls in leather pants slaying everything in her path is just too good.

Anyway I found my way to an area in Darkroot Garden that has
near-invisible enemies
that can literally three-shot me. I tried going back a few times and I can kill one or two of them but I always die eventually. I'm guessing this area is way too high level for me and I should go somewhere else?

Chitown B

anyone around level 50 have a black knight halberd they'd be willing to drop for me? :) I missed out in Darkroot. I know there's one more in catacombs, but...

Seance

Banned
I found some awesome leather pants for my female character in the Lower Undead Burg and I have been wearing them ever since then. I have much more defensive and badass leg pieces but I'm never going to wear them because the idea of this chick running around the world of Dark Souls in leather pants slaying everything in her path is just too good.

Anyway I found my way to an area in Darkroot Garden that has
near-invisible enemies
that can literally three-shot me. I tried going back a few times and I can kill one or two of them but I always die eventually. I'm guessing this area is way too high level for me and I should go somewhere else?

The
Forest Hunter NPC's
are reasonably tough. There's almost always somewhere else to go. I think that the area should be manageable for you if you get like a +10 weapon.

Top Bottom