• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Gorillaz

I found some awesome leather pants for my female character in the Lower Undead Burg and I have been wearing them ever since then. I have much more defensive and badass leg pieces but I'm never going to wear them because the idea of this chick running around the world of Dark Souls in leather pants slaying everything in her path is just too good.

Anyway I found my way to an area in Darkroot Garden that has
near-invisible enemies
that can literally three-shot me. I tried going back a few times and I can kill one or two of them but I always die eventually. I'm guessing this area is way too high level for me and I should go somewhere else?
Its an open ended area. There are multiple places to go, but that area just serves as the connecting point to them. The enemies have a line of sight and if you keep running far enough they will leave you alone

Mistel

Banned
This makes me so happy. It's a sentiment I wish the whole community shared. Not that there's anything wrong with playing to win. I'm just a perpetual roleplayer.
From a purely aesthetic sense dark and demon souls have great armor choices. I just need to have more than 2/3 of a balder set, my starting set and elite knight armor to find some cool combinations that look nice. I'm thinking elite knight helmet, dark knight torso and havel's stuff for legs and arms of armor with a balder knight shield and a claymore would look nice.

I've got a black knight halberd but I'm level 19.

Anustart

I've got a problem guys :(

I've become obsessed with Bravely Default and I haven't been playing Dark Souls at all :( I need to rectify this, NOW. In fact, yes, I'm booting it up now.

I've become obsessed with Bravely Default and I haven't been playing Dark Souls at all :( I need to rectify this, NOW. In fact, yes, I'm booting it up now.

See, I'm forgoing BD for now because I know I won't be able to give it a fair shake before DSII comes out.

Soulhouf

The only game that managed to take me away from Dark Souls is SMTIV.
My 3DS clock is telling me I already spent more than 1000 hours on it :(

Anustart

Finally found the Moonlight Butterfly, after killing the boss in The Duke's Archives. Was pretty dang easy at that point lol. Also gave me the watchtower basement key, which I assume is the key that was supposed to open the area to Havel, who I already killed since I bought the master key from that dude near firelink.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I'm still trying to get used to this game.

I just found a boss door in Undead Burg near the top of a tower. Decided to explore a bit, went downstairs, and some dude with a big club or something ran upstairs and I got literally flattened.

mannerbot

So I'm still trying to get used to this game.

I just found a boss door in Undead Burg near the top of a tower. Decided to explore a bit, went downstairs, and some dude with a big club or something ran upstairs and I got literally flattened.

Yep, that happened because you took the Master Key and have no idea what you're doing. :p Once you know what you're doing that guy is easy (though he will still one-shot you), but if you want to avoid situations like this then you should probably walk away when you open a door and it says that you used the Master Key to unlock it. This basically means that you haven't progressed far enough to get the actual key to unlock that door, so it may be a more difficult area than what you're used to. Just go in the boss fog at the top of the tower.

Mistel

Banned
That was my first experience with Havel as well that tooth is something, now I can run past him into darkroot basin. I hope I make it to his gear eventually.

ok i'm stuck at the taurus demon in undead burg :(

i cant get the lightning from the house before him because i need a key to unlock the door either :(

halp :(

nvm got him with 3 plunge attacks :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

i cant get the lightning from the house before him because i need a key to unlock the door either :(

A undead merchant sells the key just before of the bondfire of that area where you see the red drake for the first time, there are two undead knights you have to kill and break some barrels to see the hidden stairs.

krakov

You can buy that key from the merchant close to the bonfire, if you haven't met him already you should explore some more. My advice for taurus demon is to keep your distance. Bait an attack, run in and hit him once or twice and retreat before he can punish.

sikkinixx

Fuck the dark ass Tomb of Giants. Fuck. That. Place.

Beat the Pinwheel today (super easy) and just ran past those cartwheel skeletons. Those are the most horrifying enemy so far when there are a bunch of them. Tried three times to get to the bonfire in ToG and said fuck it, warping my ass outta there.

Decided to go take on Sif, forgot the Forest club was super pissed at me for killing the Ninja and stealing his ring so... yeah. Luckily I beat Sif on the second try so I only had to dash like a mad man past all the forest guys, save and quit to de-agro all of them, then carried on.

Sif was super easy using some speed runner's strategy (just stay underneath them the entire time, roll when he attacks).

Now I'm hanging out in Anor Londo making myself available for summoning to get another 4 sunlight medals so I can get the Lightning Spear upgrade. Level 70 so I think I'm a bit high for there (?).

Next is... Duke's Archive I guess? I really don't wanna do the Tomb so I'm putting it off as long as I can. Decided to leave the dragon-chick in the Painted World alone so I can't hang around there since I just get invaded (fuck invaders, so annoying).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yep, that happened because you took the Master Key and have no idea what you're doing. :p Once you know what you're doing that guy is easy (though he will still one-shot you), but if you want to avoid situations like this then you should probably walk away when you open a door and it says that you used the Master Key to unlock it. This basically means that you haven't progressed far enough to get the actual key to unlock that door, so it may be a more difficult area than what you're used to. Just go in the boss fog at the top of the tower.

Thanks for the advice!

Gonna try it. Have to see if I can get my souls back though. Also wondering if maybe I should try that weird knight at the bottom of the stairs earlier, since he at least doesn't tend to one-shot me.

Rizzi

Alright. Got the lordvessel, went off to explore a bit and ended up making Greatsword of Artorias.
Didn't notice it requires 20 intelligence to wield.
Damn it!

Chitown B

found the blacksmith in the catacombs. Then promptly got pinned to the wall by stupid wagon wheels. wtf. I hope that last button I pushed opened a shortcut.

Jhoan

Since Xbox Live Gold is free for the weekend, I'm going to need help cutting off Kalameet's tail. I remember Booshka helped me out last time so if anyone is in the area of SL104, shoot me a message in several hours at if you see me on at Johan El Fuerte. I'm almost heading to sleep but I'll post again in several hours to give a heads up for when I do get on the 360.

Chitown B

76h 46min, level 92.

RIP Dark Souls.

PS - Tomb of the Giants, fuck that.

LOL. Is that area optional?

I just beat Pinwheel and homeward boned up to the bonfire above him. Now to wander back out. Not doing the Tomb, at least yet.

Got the father. Meh.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks for all the advice regarding the stats/eq etc.
I'm rocking a Scythe +15 now and everything is dying super fast.
Killed Sif, Seath, Stray Demon and Four Kings yesterday/today. Next stop - Demon Ruins.
oHqWfS3.jpg

Divius

I am a Darkwraith.
I do not have the flipring.
I want the flipring.
I want to remain a Darkwraith.

Can I join the Darkroot CatCovenant (thus breaking the darkwraith covenant), get the flipring, then join the Darkwraiths again?

Soulhouf

Thanks for all the advice regarding the stats/eq etc.
I'm rocking a Scythe +15 now and everything is dying super fast.
Killed Sif, Seath, Stray Demon and Four Kings yesterday/today. Next stop - Demon Ruins.

Ooooooh you look a lot better than last time :D
If you're using pyromancy, consider upgrading your Pyro Flame to max.

@Divius: I hope you're not well ranked in your covenant because you'll lose ranks if you quit and come back.

Divius

@Divius: I hope you're not well ranked in your covenant because you'll lose ranks if you quit and come back.
Yeah I read about that, did not care. I never drain humanity anyway. Thanks for the warning though.

I love dickwraithing in the undead burg, boxing with new players, giving them a fighting chance. Seeing them learn from their mistakes and giving them tips.

Sometimes I keep running into guys who are in like NG+++ with super gear and weapons. My Caestus+3 are no match for that :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I love dickwraithing in the undead burg, boxing with new players, giving them a fighting chance. Seeing them learn from their mistakes and giving them tips.

Sometimes I keep running into guys who are in like NG+++ with super gear and weapons. My Caestus+3 are no match for that :p
That's not dickwraithing, that's actually very fair.

Yeah I read about that, did not care. I never drain humanity anyway. Thanks for the warning though.

Yep, you're just being a good sport and giving people a memorable invasion.

Dickwraiths are the reason I keep the Burg open for invasions well into SL120.

dmr87

LOL. Is that area optional?

I just beat Pinwheel and homeward boned up to the bonfire above him. Now to wander back out. Not doing the Tomb, at least yet.

Got the father. Meh.

Not optional, need a drop from the boss.

I did Giants last so I was kinda overleveled, and I had an extra light source, still really annoying. At least it's pretty short, compared to Blighttown.

An-Det

It completely skipped me that there would be a community thread before, since I'm on my first playthrough. Spent last night drinking vodka and exploring past the second bonfire in Anor Londo. Found the giant blacksmith, unlocked the shortcut back to the first area, and then took on O+S for the first time before getting promptly demolished (at level 53, I think). decided to grind a bit to level myself to raise endurance so I could fully wear the Black Iron set (got to level 60 doing this) and then more to raise my Black Knight Sword from base to +5. Started going after O+S later in the evening. It took 15-20 tries while I learned their styles and techniques, and a few times Ornstein and I died at the same time or Smough's electric ass pound caught me off guard, but holy shit it felt good when I finally took them down, and without summoning help. I typically tried to recover my souls, so I ended up with a bonus 30k souls at the end from the runs to the boss.

I think I'm going to return to Sen's to hunt down some of the loot that I missed, plus I need to invade Lautrec. The dark eye notice came up the first time I approached O+S's fog door, but do I have to use the item there or can I do it safely from a bonfire now? If/when I die in it, do I respawn in my world in in his and have to find another dark eye to try again?

Buzzed Dark Souls is best Dark Souls. It somehow makes me better at some things (evasion, deftly running past obstacles, etc.) but worse at others (timing-related stuff like parries and wind-up heavy movesets).

Rizzi

For all the love that Dark Souls gets, there sure are some shittily designed areas.
If Dark Souls 2 has anything like Blighttown or Tomb of Giants in it, I'm not buying it.

dmr87

I think I'm going to return to Sen's to hunt down some of the loot that I missed, plus I need to invade Lautrec. The dark eye notice came up the first time I approached O+S's fog door, but do I have to use the item there or can I do it safely from a bonfire now? If/when I die in it, do I respawn in my world in in his and have to find another dark eye to try again?

You use it in the big hall where the fog door is, live or die you get warped back to the place where you used the item, so just rinse and repeat.

Jhoan

All right 360 folks, I'm about to get on and pop the game in to take on Kalameet. Again, if anyone is within 20 levels of SL 104, please shoot me a message at Johan El Fuerte (with spaces). I'll be waiting by the Oolacile Sanctuary Bonfire. Thanks for the help.

Soulhouf

For all the love that Dark Souls gets, there sure are some shittily designed areas.
If Dark Souls 2 has anything like Blighttown or Tomb of Giants in it, I'm not buying it.

These areas are the 2 that have the most old From Soft games spirit in them. That's why I love them.
The game is already very forgiving, but you want to remove such areas? This is a joke right?
I hope Dark Souls 2 has at least as much areas as these with a Blighttown version of Valley of Defilement. That would be glorious.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
These areas are the 2 that have the most old From Soft games spirit in them. That's why I love them.
The game is already very forgiving, but you want to remove such areas? This is a joke right?
I hope Dark Souls 2 has at least as much areas as these with a Blighttown version of Valley of Defilement. That would be glorious.
I liked the Tomb, it reminded me of 2-1 (?) from Demon's Souls, where I just got lost in the tunnels, fought the big bugs and stuff, all while being way too weak. What a great area.
Having to carry a lamp or something was annoying, that's true - should've went with a lantern like in DD games, would've been much better imo.

As for Blighttown, while the area was super hard for me personally, I wouldn't mind it if the FPS didn't drop to one digit numbers.
I really hope that they do something about those FPS drops on PS3 in DS2.

Ferr986

I liked Tomb of giants too. First time there was intense as fuck.
Blightown is good but that framerate...

IMO the only bad area is Izalith

Top Bottom