• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

The game is already very forgiving, but you want to remove such areas? This is a joke right?

I don't think difficulty has anything to do with it, ToG is probably one of the zones were I died the least but it's still my least favorite zone. It wasn't very fun, I actually stopped playing for a bit.

I enjoyed blighttown though, my main problem with it was the FPS till I lowered my settings, it also had a satisfying end boss unlike tomb.

Soulhouf

I liked the Tomb, it reminded me of 2-1 (?) from Demon's Souls, where I just got lost in the tunnels, fought the big bugs and stuff, all while being way too weak. What a great area.
Having to carry a lamp or something was annoying, that's true - should've went with a lantern like in DD games, would've been much better imo.

As for Blighttown, while the area was super hard for me personally, I wouldn't mind it if the FPS didn't drop to one digit numbers.
I really hope that they do something about those FPS drops on PS3 in DS2.

I agree, technical issues are a thing and it would be wonderful if we don't encounter them in DSII.
But the design itself is good. It puts the player out of his comfort zone and you need to adapt your play style to the given situations and traps.

Oh I didn't see you finished the game already. Congratulations, I'm impressed.
I hope you really enjoyed it.

BigDug13

I'm brand new to this game on PC and I'm not understanding how to advance my character. I gain a few hundred souls then die, then I always die before I can get back to my corpse to reclaim and I've been stuck in that same loop against those early skeletons for 3 hours. If you get stuck in loops like that, does all advancement for your character cease?

Or are levels not really important?

(I chose Warrior as my class BTW in case that is relevant)

Ghosts are the worst on NG+.
What is some good gear to kill the ghosts on ng+? My sorcerer is lv 77 with 44int and only 19vit, so when they surround you in the buildings im getting slaughtered faster than i can fight. Using a enchanted great scythe +4 atm but when i get surrounded, i die so quick with my low vit.

I'm brand new to this game on PC and I'm not understanding how to advance my character. I gain a few hundred souls then die, then I always die before I can get back to my corpse to reclaim and I've been stuck in that same loop against those early skeletons for 3 hours. If you get stuck in loops like that, does all advancement for your character cease?

Classes don't really matter, as it's just starting gear and stats. When you level up, you can allocate stats into whatever you want. If you wanna go melee, choose either Strength or Dex. Put points into that stat based on the weapon whose moveset you like the most. And points into Vitality and Endurance are never wasted. Never put points into Resistance.

Also, keep your equip weight below 50% so you can roll. It's always better to roll than to tank hits by blocking.

And if you're fighting skeletons, you shouldn't. Try looking for another area. Hint: that guy you talked in Firelink Shrine is looking towards something important...

Return to Firelink Shrine and explore a bit more. You may find a path with a bit less resistance.

Seance

Banned

Stop banging your head against a brick wall there bud. Explore elsewhere.

Overdoziz

Banned
What is some good gear to kill the ghosts on ng+? My sorcerer is lv 77 with 44int and only 19vit, so when they surround you in the buildings im getting slaughtered faster than i can fight. Using a enchanted great scythe +4 atm but when i get surrounded, i die so quick with my low vit.
I don't know about gear, but I say just take it really slow. At the second church I just ran in and back out again to lure a couple out so I could fight them one or two at a time. Once you lower the water they become a non-issue.

Unfortunately gear isn't really going to change much of anything for you there. You're going to need to get good at dodging is all. Block as many attacks as you need to, but dodge anything else. If they can't hit you you can do it naked.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Instead of finishing up Crystal Caves I decided to go back and explore the Graveyard outside of Firelink Shirne. For no other real reason than curiosity. Found the entrance to the Catacombs and spent a few hours down there exploring. Really cool area, lots of hidden paths and shortcuts. Seems very easy to me too compared to where I was in Duke's Archives and Crystal Caves. I'm wondering if I should have gone back here much earlier, lol.

Worked my way all the way down to the bottom, and fuck those wagon wheel skeletons. What twisted mind thought those guys up? Found myself fighting a boss named Pinwheel and one shot him on my first attempt. It was an easy but fun battle, didn't even need half of my estus swigs either.

But now I'm in some super dark place, fell down a hole I didn't see and died and found out I'm in the Tomb of Giants? I can't see a damned thing.

So I think I'll head back to the Crystal Caves and see if I can finish that up.

dmr87

Posting this again for new players.

QXNVwLa.jpg

Booshka

Somehow, some way, this game sucked me back in. I started a cleric to make a faith build, told myself I play until the bonfire in undead berg. Ended up getting to and killing Gaping Dragon after 5 or 6 hours.

I LOVE lightning spear, its also nice that I can heal myself as a phantom during co-op. The game feels brand new again

PatzCU

Somehow, some way, this game sucked me back in. I started a cleric to make a faith build, told myself I play until the bonfire in undead berg. Ended up getting to and killing Gaping Dragon after 5 or 6 hours.

I LOVE lightning spear, its also nice that I can heal myself as a phantom during co-op. The game feels brand new again

I have been using the Reinforced Club (on a GAFer's advice in this thread) for the first 20 or so hours through Sen's Fortress. Got the Lightning Spear and tried it out since I could equip it with my current stats. Holy shit, it's like cheating!

I like the Reinforced Club, but it feels way too slow in comparison to the spear. Are there any other good weapon types out there that are somewhere between the club and spear on dmg:speed ratio? I'm so afraid to mess around with the STR/DEX stats without knowing what weapon to settle on.

finally got used to the game mechanics and having more fun now

currently in undead parish trying to grind out a few more levels with my newly obtained beast: the Drake Sword
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

this thing is a beast

Booshka

currently in undead parish trying to grind out a few more levels with my newly obtained beast: the Drake Sword
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

this thing is a beast
Make sure to grind some soul levels in Strength and Dexterity, the Drake sword will do way more damage if you keep leveling those skills.

Every time I want to start a new game of DS I just want to play the same kind of character over and over again - strength/faith. Don't know why. It's just the most fun way to play the game in my opinion.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
well I beat a couple bosses I guess, got this boar helmet deal, now stuck at this boss fight at the top of that church

manage to whittle down the guy okay, then Dark Souls happens and I just have no idea how to handle the situation

Rizzi

My problem with Blighttown (besides the framerate) is that that the swamp takes forever to get through. And the mosquito enemies that love to hover just out of reach and spit poison goop at me.

My problem with Blighttown (besides the framerate) is that that the swamp takes forever to get through. And the mosquito enemies that love to hover just out of reach and spit poison goop at me.

If you have the
Rusted Iron
ring, you can run in the swamp and in water.

E92 M3

For all the love that Dark Souls gets, there sure are some shittily designed areas.
If Dark Souls 2 has anything like Blighttown or Tomb of Giants in it, I'm not buying it.

Blighttown was worlds better than Valley of Defilement; so I can do another Blighttown. Now, Tomb of Giants - I hate that place. In general; I highly dislike ultra dark areas in video games. Nothing to do with difficulty.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i dont get it

:(

Drake Sword doesn't scale with your stats. It has high attack power, but increasing strength and dexterity doesn't do anything.

If you look at a weapon's stat page it'll have letter grades next to stat icons. Except on the Drake Sword

Booshka

i dont get it

Press X/Square to Toggle Display under the weapon stats screen. Upgrade weapons and watch the stat scaling go up with some weapons, and not at all with the Drake Sword. The Drake Sword is an early game noob trap that has no benefit from stat scaling. Stat scaling is a very confusing and obfuscated mechanic of Dark Souls that you won't learn unless you invest in upgrading normal weapons and pay attention to how and how they are not benefited by your stats.

Have fun with the Drake Sword for now, but look for something that actually benefits from core mechanics of Dark Souls RPG and upgrading mechanics, (i.e. nearly everything else).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All dragon weapons, there are plenty of tail acquired weapons that do scale with stats. Moonlight Greatsword being one of the standouts with an S scaling in Intelligence.
The Moonlight Greatsword is technically a dragon weapon though, it requires dragon scales to upgrade (assuming that's what you mean by it).

Booshka

The Moonlight Greatsword is technically a dragon weapon though, it requires dragon scales to upgrade (assuming that's what you mean by it).

Yea I meant scaling, it is a Dragon weapon more than the Drake sword actually lol. But, I was talking in the lines of stat scaling weapons acquired from Tails, Priscilla's Dagger, Gargoyle's Halberd, Moonlight Greatsword essentially.

Little buzzed so excuse my dumb responses, I just can't help but Troll when I see yet another, "OMG Drake Sword, SO BEAST" post.

I am having issues with the PC version exexutable error. Deleting and redownloading GFWL did not help despite being the most popular troubleshoot option.

I watched a detailed YT vid explaining how to install the DSfix and I'm hooked up to my tv. Any tips? I've already played through once on the PS3 but I want to see it in its gloriousness.

2AdEPT

I am having issues with the PC version exexutable error. Deleting and redownloading GFWL did not help despite being the most popular troubleshoot option.

I watched a detailed YT vid explaining how to install the DSfix and I'm hooked up to my tv. Any tips? I've already played through once on the PS3 but I want to see it in its gloriousness.

Good choic e MS..... do I recognize you from the demon's threads or just dark? anyway there are lots of reasons why you can get executables...most common is that the people didnt read the readme and they have AA on in the game menu...turn AA off read the readme is the first step. I fyou did that, then watch out for on screen framerate counters etc. turn off MSI afterburner for example. Other common tips include using the borderless windowed mode option and ensuring that your native resolution is properly listed in the dsfix notepad.

if you let us know what you have and have not tried it might help....windows 8 is the most recent culprit, but this along with GFWL was stuff you seem to have tried...the other stuff I mentioned were problems like a year ago so some may have been fixed int the interim by Durante etc. Check out the GAF thrad on the dsfix for a comprehensive and thorough trouble shoot archive.

Anybody interested in helping me test something tomorrow? So I'm sure a lot of you saw the "Twitch Plays Pokemon" thing today...

I woke up and saw that, and decided that we must have a Dark Souls version. Horrid idea, I know, but I got it working (I guess).

It's different then the Pokemon one, in that it queues up 10 actions at a time. Each action must get 10 votes before it goes on the queue. And each action executes for about 1.5 seconds (so, for example, if "FORWARD" is next in the queue, the character moves forward for 1.5 seconds). Requiring the votes should hopefully drive it towards some sort of group consensus about what to do. (It may increase above 10 votes per action, depending on how things go.)

Given the 20 or so second Twitch delay, this means that everybody has to sort of think ahead. The screen shows the queued actions, so hopefully that will lead to some sort of strategy.

I used Cheat Engine (yeah, I know, sorry) to get the character up to level 125 with some decent armor and weapons. In the hopes that, given the Twitch delay and the utter insanity of the idea, the character can run into some early game enemies and not worry about dying instantly.

Currently you can move forward, back, left, right, center the camera, R1, R2, use Estus, roll, run, shield, or interact.

I've tested it with just myself, and it seems to do what I'm expecting, but I'd like to see if anybody would be interested tomorrow in hopping onto my Twitch page and seeing how it goes. (Too tired to stay up later and do it tonight.) It's starting at Firelink, and if it can ever get to Undead Berg I will consider it a Huge Succeeded.

Sullichin

Anybody interested in helping me test something tomorrow? So I'm sure a lot of you saw the "Twitch Plays Pokemon" thing today...

I woke up and saw that, and decided that we must have a Dark Souls version. Horrid idea, I know, but I got it working (I guess).

It's different then the Pokemon one, in that it queues up 10 actions at a time. Each action must get 10 votes before it goes on the queue. And each action executes for about 1.5 seconds (so, for example, if "FORWARD" is next in the queue, the character moves forward for 1.5 seconds). Requiring the votes should hopefully drive it towards some sort of group consensus about what to do. (It may increase above 10 votes per action, depending on how things go.)

Given the 20 or so second Twitch delay, this means that everybody has to sort of think ahead. The screen shows the queued actions, so hopefully that will lead to some sort of strategy.

I used Cheat Engine (yeah, I know, sorry) to get the character up to level 125 with some decent armor and weapons. In the hopes that, given the Twitch delay and the utter insanity of the idea, the character can run into some early game enemies and not worry about dying instantly.

Currently you can move forward, back, left, right, center the camera, R1, R2, use Estus, roll, run, shield, or interact.

I've tested it with just myself, and it seems to do what I'm expecting, but I'd like to see if anybody would be interested tomorrow in hopping onto my Twitch page and seeing how it goes. (Too tired to stay up later and do it tonight.) It's starting at Firelink, and if it can ever get to Undead Berg I will consider it a Huge Succeeded.
I should be around tomorrow to check this out. Nice.

MG310

Anyone ever deal with Play-SC.com? Finally upgraded to a new PC and it looks like the cheapest way to get it right now (15.99). Need some more Dark Souls to tide me over until 2 and might as well do give the PC version a go.

2AdEPT

I can join in anywhere from 10am to 1:30pm pst.

Rizzi

Skeleton dogs in Tomb of Giants made me hurl my controller at the wall.
23 years, only controller I've ever broken. This is some straight up bullshit.

Soriku

Jesus Christ, Artorias was a tough boss on NG+. Dude moves really fast and his Super Saiyan mode does a ton of damage. Took me a million tries to get him down. I had to use the Soul Spear spells and Homing Crystal Soulmass + Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring (boost sorcery) to do most of the damage to him. My Moonlight Greatsword was only doing somewhere over 100 damage which just wasn't enough, and hitting him from close up is really dangerous anyway.

Managed to stop his SSJ mode once or twice the time I beat him. Towards the end it got REALLY close. I ran out of spells and he had a little bit of HP. He needed like two hits with my sword to go down, and I hit him once but he also hit me which caused a ton of damage, but I decided not to heal as he'd probably hit me again once I healed. I decided to go all out, so I swung again...but I missed. Oh shit. I saw him charging up for another attack again, but I managed to get a hit enough before he hit me. He went down. If he hit me I might've died right there at the finish line, but I got him.

Tough, but pretty good fight. I'm at the Oolacile Township now and for some reason every time I tried summoning someone, the summon would either fail or they'd get summoned and I'd see their HP bar deplete immediately. WTF?

elhav

Obligatory
iAAZ2MpXTZdEa.gif

3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

this thing is a beast
Err I say don't rely on it too much. Later on it will become either too weak or useless. Upgrade a normal weapon, trust me.

Randam

gear doesn't matter.

i can clear that room on starting level by this time.
lure them out one by one.

Well, fuck that place anyway. I haven't even been just seen video. I hate it when I can't see. Catacombs was bad enough.

catacombs were bad enough?

btw.: didn't you get a skull lantern in the catacombs?

yeah, if you can't advance, even after 3 hours, you are in the wrong place.

I don't think difficulty has anything to do with it, ToG is probably one of the zones were I died the least but it's still my least favorite zone. It wasn't very fun, I actually stopped playing for a bit.

I enjoyed blighttown though, my main problem with it was the FPS till I lowered my settings, it also had a satisfying end boss unlike tomb.

ToG is not my favorite place, but I don't have anything against it either.
first time I went down there, I haven't even beaten Anor Londo.
so I ended up in front of a giant yellow fog gate and had to fight my way out of it, because I couldn't warp yet and had rested at both bonfires down there. :D

Err I say don't rely on it too much. Later on it will become either too weak or useless. Upgrade a normal weapon, trust me.

listen to this man.

just run past them.
could take a few tries, but the way to the both is very easy, when you know it.

Top Bottom