• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

They're special Anor Londo fun-time arrows.

arrowed.jpg

NinjaBoiX

I have been using the wikis and stuff, but I still can't tell the difference between the talismans. Stats wise they look the same apart from magic attunement or whatever.

What is this stat? Which one should I be using?
what the fucking fuck is up with these "archers"? They're not fucking arrows, they're full spears. Get hit with one and they just hit you back and forth into you're dead.
Once you've killed the two Gargoyles on the square platform, just poison arrow them. Try and keep the gargoyle fight to the right hand side of the platform to avoid alerting the archers, then stand as far back as possible and fire a poison arrow at the one on the right. You can ignore the one on the left.

You want to step forward until you're level with the edge of the pillar (on the left to cut off the archers sight line) and aim about half his height above him. Be careful, if you just miss you can agro him making it much more difficult. I found it easier to work upwards rather than overshoot and work down.

Once you hit him just let him die. Then just run and you should avoid the left guy. It's pretty easy if you "cheat".

Fevaweva

I have been using the wikis and stuff, but I still can't tell the difference between the talismans. Stats wise they look the same apart from magic attunement or whatever.

Magic Attunement allows you have more spell slots plus whatever defence/resistance it gives you when you level up that stat

NinjaBoiX

Magic Attunement allows you have more spell slots plus whatever defence/resistance it gives you when you level up that stat
Sorry, it's "Magic Adjustment":

Other than this stat, they seem to be the same. But why magic adjustment? Isn't that what Intelligence is for? It's confusing.

Basically, which talisman should I use?

Other than this stat, they seem to be the same. But why magic adjustment? Isn't that what Intelligence is for? It's confusing.

Magic that deals damage has a number (that's invisible to the player) that is multiplied by the magic adjustment of the catalyst (or talisman/pyromancy flame) to determine the damage output. The higher the magical adjustment, the better. Each talisman has a range of Faith stats where it has the best magical adjustment. Using the chart in the wiki, you can see which is best for your current Faith stat (if it were sorcery, Intelligence would govern, Pyromancy has no stat scaling, only the level of the Pyromancy Flame matters).

Chitown B

Once you've killed the two Gargoyles on the square platform, just poison arrow them. Try and keep the gargoyle fight to the right hand side of the platform to avoid alerting the archers, then stand as far back as possible and fire a poison arrow at the one on the right. You can ignore the one on the left.

You want to step forward until you're level with the edge of the pillar (on the left to cut off the archers sight line) and aim about half his height above him. Be careful, if you just miss you can agro him making it much more difficult. I found it easier to work upwards rather than overshoot and work down.

Once you hit him just let him die. Then just run and you should avoid the left guy. It's pretty easy if you "cheat".

Thanks. I actually did this from up near the archers. However I only have 6 poison arrows left so I hope that I don't have to do this again before I can get more.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks. I actually did this from up near the archers. However I only have 6 poison arrows left so I hope that I don't have to do this again before I can get more.
You don't really need to, the bonfire is right there, and poison arrows aren't needed for a while.

That said, the giant blacksmith resides very close to the cathedral bonfire and he does sell them.
Magic that deals damage has a number (that's invisible to the player) that is multiplied by the magic adjustment of the catalyst (or talisman/pyromancy flame) to determine the damage output. The higher the magical adjustment, the better. Each talisman has a range of Faith stats where it has the best magical adjustment. Using the chart in the wiki, you can see which is best for your current Faith stat (if it were sorcery, Intelligence would govern, Pyromancy has no stat scaling, only the level of the Pyromancy Flame matters).
Sorry, by magic you mean miracles right? I don't mean to be pedantic, it's just an important distinction as my intelligence is at 10, while my faith is at 26. I'm focusing on miracles not magic, I just want to check we're on the same page!

KLonso

So I'm just about ready to start this game (I'm pretty much going in blind), but I'm playing on PC and I know that's a problem. I have a controller, and aside from that and DSFix, is there anything else that I need?

NinjaBoiX

So I'm just about ready to start this game (I'm pretty much going in blind), but I'm playing on PC and I know that's a problem. I have a controller, and aside from that and DSFix, is there anything else that I need?
Patience, skill, tenacity and this thread.

Good luck, enjoy.

Sorry, by magic you mean miracles right? I don't mean to be pedantic, it's just an important distinction as my intelligence is at 10, while my faith is at 26. I'm focusing on miracles not magic, I just want to check we're on the same page!
"Magic" means Sorceries/Mircacles/Pyromancies, everything you can attune and cast.

Sorceries are governed by Intelligence. Miracles by Faith. Pyromancies have no stat scaling.

By this chart http://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Faith-Int+Talisman+Magic+Adjustment+Values

the Thorolund Talisman gives you best Magical Adjustment at Faith 26

Dekanach

In simple terms in a starter player, any talisman is good but the faith scaling varies depending of the faith level. Above 40, Darkmoon talisman scales better, so the magic adjustment would be higher between 40-99, but below 40 doesn't seems many difference in comparision to other talismans. Velka's talisman is an exception, as it scales with INT

mannerbot

You're good to go, prepare to die.

MagAdjust is what will determine the scaling of your spells, whether Miracles, Sorceries, or Pyromancies. The catalyst/talisman/pyro glove that you use gives you your MagAdjust, and different catalysts/talismans will scale differently. For example, some have a fixed MagAdjust which is useful if you aren't putting many points into Faith/Int, and some have good scaling which is useful when you're at 40+ in Int/Faith.

NinjaBoiX

Right, OK.

Thanks a lot guys, I just like to get this kind of thing really sussed in my head. You laid it out very clearly, I now understand!

Edit: much appreciated amigos, I'll get back to it!

Mistel

Banned
Lot's of patience is definitely a help for playing this. Running past some crystal guys up two ladder's past a giant cat thing for a set of armor is really hard. Stupid hydra spitting water at me...

Chitown B

You don't really need to, the bonfire is right there, and poison arrows aren't needed for a while.

That said, the giant blacksmith resides very close to the cathedral bonfire and he does sell them.

didn't see any bonfire, ran around a long time and eventually got invaded. Then while trying to avoid that guy (all the doors were closed before he got there, then they were open and I went in a few - then died after being trapped at a doorway).

So, I got screwed.

NinjaBoiX

didn't see any bonfire, ran around a long time and eventually got invaded. Then while trying to avoid that guy (all the doors were closed before he got there, then they were open and I went in a few - then died after being trapped at a doorway).

So, I got screwed.
If you kill the archer on the right, just run up to the middle square part, round to the other side of it (the right hand side to block the archer on the left), then run up the next bridge and turn right. Keep going along the edge, round the corner, you'll see a door below you (fog door maybe?), the bonfire is in there and to the left.

It's like metres away from the archer you killed.

Chitown B

If you kill the archer on the right, just run up to the middle square part, round to the other side of it (the right hand side to block the archer on the left), then run up the next bridge and turn right. Keep going along the edge, round the corner, you'll see a door below you (fog door maybe?), the bonfire is in there and to the left.

It's like metres away from the archer you killed.

crap. Well I went through the fog door and didn't see any door I open to the left. I'll do that next time. Hopefully I have enough arrows.

NinjaBoiX

crap. Well I went through the fog door and didn't see any door I open to the left. I'll do that next time. Hopefully I have enough arrows.
Well if you died through the fog door I can only assume you either went forward towards the spiral staircase in front of you, or through the door on your right. Both ways have knights to fight.

The bonfire room is the first door on your left once through the main door.

ok so I just killed the moon butterfly. too easy..

should I use his soul to make the unique weapon or just get the souls?

Might as well hang onto it as the two potential items you can create are fairly useful (if your going for a magic build).

FUN (possibly)FACT:
That butterfly used to be a woman, one who was so horrible experimented on and mutated that it left her in that form. You can still see the outline and features if you look closely. Isn't science wonderful?

Chitown B

Well if you died through the fog door I can only assume you either went forward towards the spiral staircase in front of you, or through the door on your right. Both ways have knights to fight.

The bonfire room is the first door on your left once through the main door.

Thanks. Yeah I went forward and tried a door and got no prompt. I must've just missed it. I went around the whole place and then got invaded so I was scrambling.

Mistel

Banned
Whilst being murdered by a sentient mushroom and pretty much every thing else. Can I kill the shiny butterfly thing that looks like it has hair for wings that I saw as I was wandering around?

KLonso

Oh wow I completely forgot that GFWL was a thing. So do I need to log in every time I play if I want my game to be saved? And how the hell will anything work when GFWL goes away?

I'm using a dual shock, so this may not apply to you, but I grabbed the ps3 controller mod for my game. It isn't too bad seeing the xbox ones, but just feels better/easier.

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/200/?

So I can tell this Capra Demon fellow is gonna be a bit of a problem.

heh, yeah. I'm having trouble with it too. I think I'm gonna try to level up and get better gear before trying him. seems as if he just kills me nevertheless the amount of times I try to dodge his attacks.. :/

I managed to get the black knight gear in the garden and kill the moonlight butterfly though. :D

Chitown B

heh, yeah. I'm having trouble with it too. I think I'm gonna try to level up and get better gear before trying him. seems as if he just kills me nevertheless the amount of times I try to dodge his attacks.. :/

I managed to get the black knight gear in the garden and kill the moonlight butterfly though. :D

For Capra
Kill the dogs first, and then jump on him from the stairs

KLonso

Took me about 20 tries to beat the first boss, but that's finally done with. The time I beat him, the boss ended up in this pattern where he just jumped up and down instead of swinging his weapon, luckily for me.

Soriku

THERES NO SPACE TO DO JACK SHIT :( :( :( :( :(

lol. Yeah, "just kill the dogs" is easier said than done.

All I can say is try to get to the top of the stairs and hope you're lucky enough to kill the dogs quickly up there. Use the Drake Sword if you don't have a more powerful weapon.

You can attempt to block Capra's attacks, just don't block too much. I'd say lock on to him, dodge an attack if you can, and quickly run past him and up the stairs. From that point just drop on him and quickly go back up, or go up and wait till he tries to go up the stairs himself. Drop down, and he'll drop down with you, but he's left staggered for a while as he recovers from the drop. Use this opportunity to attack.

ultron87

I just had a truly comical amount of trouble with the giant mushroom dudes on the way to Ash Lake. It was fairly embarrassing after taking down Kalameet in two rounds ten minutes earlier.

ZenaxPure

lol. Yeah, "just kill the dogs" is easier said than done.

Yeah like I was getting at earlier, that's why I don't like the fight much. Like for me every time I fought him (except the time I won) I died within the first few seconds. Rolled into a dog, rolled into a corner, or something else annoying happened.

The time I won I rolled right between everyone, got up the stairs (to funnel the dogs), did a strong attack (was using a sword that had thrust) that one shot both of the dogs and then I killed the boss without taking any damage. This dung method sounds great, will probably just do that on NG+.

Chitown B

for me the dogs were easy. One swipe with the Claymore and they're both toast.

edit: ok I returned to my game after the guy invaded and the front door to Anor Londo is now open.... maybe he opened it? Hmmm. Creepy.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Do you guys recommend any texture mods?

Not unless you've got a moderately fast modern CPU and fast HDD/SSD. Otherwise, you'll get hiccups when going into new areas as the textures load. Even with a super fast PC, you will still see these slight hiccups at times, mostly due to the limitations of how the texture override works and size limitations.

Top Bottom