• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Fevaweva

EURGH. Just got up to Bed Of Chaos. Its probably the most annoying boss in the game because it relies more on luck than skill.

Also, constantly walking through 500 mile of magma to get there grates on the nerves.

EURGH. Just got up to Bed Of Chaos. Its probably the most annoying boss in the game because it relies more on luck than skill.

Also, constantly walking through 500 mile of magma to get there grates on the nerves.
Do you know the trick of taking out one side, then quiting reloading, it puts you at the fog gate but progress is kept.

I usually use the Eagle Shield for BoC, sometimes two handing it (equip in right hand) if I don't have the stats for it. Block the swipes from the hand, then walk off the ledge on to the branch then run, you can jump on it but it's riskier than just walking/rolling off the edge.

Chitown B

Yes. The weird creatures that flew you from Sen's Funhouse to Anor Londo can also fly you back. From there Sen's > Undead Parish > Firelink.

thanks. sorry, I meant a direct shortcut. I think I read I have to get a "cage key" to do a elevator shortcut out of Sen's.

So I had picked up Dark Souls at the suggestion from a friend a while back, and I just finally beat the game the other day. I have been really enjoying my Dex/Pyromancy character, and have fallen in love with the Gold Tracer. Good lord I cannot wait for the next game.

The hype train has left the station.

Fevaweva

Do you know the trick of taking out one side, then quiting reloading, it puts you at the fog gate but progress is kept.

I usually use the Eagle Shield for BoC, sometimes two handing it (equip in right hand) if I don't have the stats for it. Block the swipes from the hand, then walk off the ledge on to the branch then run, you can jump on it but it's riskier than just walking/rolling off the edge.

I took out both sides easily enough, its just the middle part that is the most egregious. I'll give that eagle shield idea a go when I try again later today. Cheers.

Shawn6661

I cant beat Manus, i ve tried like 20 times, i cant take this...

One time he had 200HP left and i died. Now i only manage to get him to 50% health.
Im SL92 and do the battle full 2 hands with a lightning katana and light armor so i can roll easy. Is that wrong ? My main problem is healing, Manus stalks me and i cant heal proprerly.

My brother told me to rescue the puppy and summon it. I found and rescue it but cant find his mark during the battle.

JustinBB7

1. From the stairs. run here quickly

2. He will breathe fire, just stay safe and wait until he lands

3. Attack his feet (or his head)

4a. If he flies to the other side of the bridge, run back to the stairs, wait until he's perched, repeat from step 1

4b. If he flies straight up to breath fire downwards, stand next to this pillar (exactly where the soul counter is in the screenshot). It is a weird safe spot. He will land, repeat from step 3.

It's a somewhat weird fight, his fire attacks are devastating and will often indeed get you stunlocked and therefore killed.

Man I'm trying to beat him on NG++, even with all my maxed out gear and I think my soul level is 134, he still instakills me with his overhead fire, or just stunlocks me to death. So hard to kill this guy.

ZenaxPure

thanks. sorry, I meant a direct shortcut. I think I read I have to get a "cage key" to do a elevator shortcut out of Sen's.

You get the elevator key from jumping across that broken stone bridge and walking down a set of stairs that are inside the room nearby. The bridge itself is the tiny walkway that has you near the giant that rolls the boulders. You can't miss it really as it was part of the direct path.

Anyway, I have a question myself. Is there an easy way to realistically compare weapon damage? I'm a dex user (currently 33 dex) with a Balder Side Sword+10 but I am able to upgrade it to a Lightning version. It has lower damage and loses the dex bonus, but, then deals lightning damage (obviously). I just don't really understand the way they show off the stats. It says 144 physical/144 lightning damage, does that mean it does lightning damage as physical or that it does both per swing? I also don't really understand how much of a damage bonus I am really getting from dex (+10 has a B in dex). I assume (but am unsure) that it would be a damage loss to upgrade it, but, I also assume there are lightning weak opponents out there where a lightning weapon could be useful so I've been considering turning one of my other weapons into it.

Still though, whole thing is a tad confusing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, I have a question myself. Is there an easy way to realistically compare weapon damage? I'm a dex user (currently 33 dex) with a Balder Side Sword+10 but I am able to upgrade it to a Lightning version. It has lower damage and loses the dex bonus, but, then deals lightning damage (obviously). I just don't really understand the way they show off the stats. It says 144 physical/144 lightning damage, does that mean it does lightning damage as physical or that it does both per swing? I also don't really understand how much of a damage bonus I am really getting from dex (+10 has a B in dex). I assume (but am unsure) that it would be a damage loss to upgrade it, but, I also assume there are lightning weak opponents out there where a lightning weapon could be useful so I've been considering turning one of my other weapons into it.

It does both kinds of damage. Subsequently, it has to go through two sets of resistances which is never ideal. BSS scales A with DEX at +15 with a base dmg of 200, so in the long run (if you intend to hit 40 DEX) you're better off sticking to the normal path and buffing when necessary.

The lightning variant does 200 physical and 200 lightning dmg at +5, but, as I said, both sets of dmg have to go through two sets of resistances, so you'll rarely hit 400 dmg. I have an Iaito +15 on my 40 DEX build that I buff with DMB which does some nifty dmg even in NG+. Only issue I'm having is those GAWD damned Four Kings.

You can see how much extra the DEX scaling adds on the weapons stat page, it's next to normal dmg but has a plus, I think.

Did that sound like I knew what I was talking about? I don't. XD

If the invader's name was
Knight Kirk
that is an NPC invader not another player. NPC invaders drop unique loot and a nice chunk of souls and they're all piss weak. Bad news is once you defeat the area boss you can no longer be invaded in that area - by NPCs or players.
Dang, I hope it wasn't the NPC. I don't remember the name, as I was too busy fleeing in absolute terror. Either way, I missed it!

I kept pushing further down into Blighttown
this morning, and I fought another invader after kindling the bonfire at the bottom. I looked up the name after reading this comment, and I guess she was one of the npc ones. I wasn't exactly prepared for her, being busy poisoning myself and trying to clear out mosquitos, but I had managed to get the Power Within spell... Needless to say, it helped make quick work of her! She was kind enough to give me enough souls to level up as well!

Those poison dart guys are the absolute worst! I finally noticed they didn't respawn, so I try to just calmly bow + arrow them to death while healing periodically. I rode to the top of a structure where there were two. I managed to take them both out, but I was nearing the end of my health when a mosquito attacked me. I was on less than desirable footing, and fell back onto the elevator device. I tried to heal quickly, but I was thrown aaaaaall the way back down. Made me laugh, at least, hahahaha

Tawpgun

Capra killed me in NG+ without me ever landing a blow.

Never change Capra, never change.

Sucks because I lost 8 humanities. What qualifies for a Vagrant? It'd be hilarious is a vagrant fucked someone over at Capra haha

M.D

I bought the DLC a while back and started a new character for it but stopped after a while for whatever reason, but now I want to go back and play it before Dark Souls 2

When should I play the DLC content? I remember something about that.. I think you can't do it after if you defeat Gwyn? is that it?

Overdoziz

Banned
I bought the DLC a while back and started a new character for it but stopped after a while for whatever reason, but now I want to go back and play it before Dark Souls 2

When should I play the DLC content? I remember something about that.. I think you can't do it after if you defeat Gwyn? is that it?
I did the DLC on and off after beating O&S until right before Gwyn. That section of the game is probably the weakest so the DLC made up for that nicely.

Booshka

I just found out that the Falchion is one of the best weapons in the game.

I'm making a DEX/FAITH build using the Falchion + Darkmoon Blade and most bosses can't even see what's happening before I kill them. I never beat O&S so easilly than with this build.

40 END, 40 DEX and 30 FAITH. FAP Ring and Havel's Ring, some heavy armors and spammimg R1 with the Falchion all day long.

Oroboro Build has been known OP for a while know. It does really well for a super aggressive rushing style spam build. Bosses get melted and so do most players in PvP. But, you get embarrassed hard if you try to use that spammy shit on a really good PvP player.

E92 M3

Capra killed me in NG+ without me ever landing a blow.

Never change Capra, never change.

Sucks because I lost 8 humanities. What qualifies for a Vagrant? It'd be hilarious is a vagrant fucked someone over at Capra haha

I believe Vagrants are determined by souls lost, but I can be mistaken.

NinjaBoiX

How do I use miracles?

I just joined the Warrior of the Sunlight covenant and got the lighting spear. I have 25 faith and a talisman equipped but I can't use it.

What am I doing wrong?

NinjaBoiX

Do you have the miracle attuned?
Sorry, ignore me, I'm an idiot! I came in to edit. I never use magic, virgin here.

I just didn't have it attuned, yes.

MgYashD.gif

Mistel

Banned
There I was fling dung over wall whilst human, a phantom spawned behind me with what looked like a weird insect leg as they back stabbed me :(.

Chitown B

when people talking about Lightning Spear being easy mode, I assume they mean the magic, not the spear in Sen's? Because I just found that.

when people talking about Lightning Spear being easy mode, I assume they mean the magic, not the spear in Sen's? Because I just found that.

Its actually a miracle spell i think the sunbros have a more powerful lightning spear, Magic have the crystal spear nearly at the end.

For some reason
Seigmeir
or however you spell it, died when I went to visit him at
Ash Lake
. He seemed perfectly fine to me when I left him in that swamp area. He just fell asleep. Weird.

Had you talked to
her daughter
before that event? because that sidequest have different outcomes.

Fevaweva

Killed The Bed Of Chaos after about 15 tries. Fuck that boss. FUCK IT TO HELL.

For some reason
Seigmeir
or however you spell it, died when I went to visit him at
Ash Lake
. He seemed perfectly fine to me when I left him in that swamp area. He just fell asleep. Weird.

Off to The Catacombs. Already those Skeletons are pissing me off.

Fevaweva

Its actually a miracle spell i think the sunbros have a more powerful lightning spear, Magic have the crystal spear nearly at the end.

Had you talked to
her daughter
before that event? because that sidequest have different outcomes.

Yeah I think I did. She is at firelink after discovering her at the Crystal Cave, is she not? I spoke to her there and said "No" when she asked where her father was because I couldn't remember and I didn't want to look up a guide.

So I guess thats why he died.

Gregorn

I started a second attempt at a SL1 run and have been completely stuck at smough and ornstein. I've beaten them before at SL1 and have no idea how I did it.

Yeah I think I did. She is at firelink after discovering her at the Crystal Cave, is she not? I spoke to her there and said "No" when she asked where her father was because I couldn't remember and I didn't want to look up a guide.

So I guess thats why he died.

If you talked yes
She actually finds him and let him go to lost izalith then another outcome could appear there

So I can tell this Capra Demon fellow is gonna be a bit of a problem.
First time I went in there he rolled right over me.

Second time, I used some of the
resin to give your weapon fire from that merchant in the sewer/tunnel between firelink and the undead areas. It worked wonders for me. But, yeah, get those dogs first, if you can!
Good luck!

ZenaxPure

THERE'S NO ROOM TO DO FUCKING ANYTHING

Yeah I didn't think that fight was very well designed to be honest, cause after you kill the dogs it's probably the easiest fight in the game I've done so far. It's just getting those dogs out of the way can be really annoying.

mannerbot

Yeah I didn't think that fight was very well designed to be honest, cause after you kill the dogs it's probably the easiest fight in the game I've done so far. It's just getting those dogs out of the way can be really annoying.

It's just a lesson to people new to RPGs, kill the adds first.

Chitown B

what the fucking fuck is up with these "archers"? They're not fucking arrows, they're full spears. Get hit with one and they just hit you back and forth into you're dead.

Fevaweva

If you talked yes
She actually finds him and let him go to lost izalith then another outcome could appear there

I did meet him at Lost Izalith actually. I guess what I meant to say was
The Swamp area in Lost Izalith filled with Chaos Eaters (?)
. I killed all but two (leaving one severely injured. He jumps down and both die in literally seconds. Afterwards, I talk to him twice and he falls asleep...so I leave him there and go about my merry way attempting to kill Bed Of Chaos. Next time I see him, he is dead in
Ash Lake
and I get a
Titanite Slab
from his daughter.

From what I can gather from the Wiki is that, because he didn't die...I don't get that
ring
? That is kinda stupid.

mannerbot

I did meet him at Lost Izalith actually. I guess what I meant to say was
The Swamp area in Lost Izalith filled with Chaos Eaters (?)
. I killed all but two (leaving one severely injured. He jumps down and both die in literally seconds. Afterwards, I talk to him twice and he falls asleep...so I leave him there and go about my merry way attempting to kill Bed Of Chaos. Next time I see him, he is dead in
Ash Lake
and I get a
Titanite Slab
from his daughter.

From what I can gather from the Wiki is that, because he didn't die...I don't get that
ring
? That is kinda stupid.

You actually got the best outcome possible.
Slabs are very valuable and the ring is awful. Plus this is the completion of the Siegmeyer questline, if you were able to do this without looking it up great job!

Fevaweva

You actually got the best outcome possible.
Slabs are very valuable and the ring is awful. Plus this is the completion of the Siegmeyer questline, if you were able to do this without looking it up great job!

The only thing I looked up was his final location. I found the dude quite naturally thanks to having an excuse to go back into Blightown to find
Ash Lake
later than usual.

Cheers man!

Top Bottom