• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I did meet him at Lost Izalith actually. I guess what I meant to say was
The Swamp area in Lost Izalith filled with Chaos Eaters (?)
. I killed all but two (leaving one severely injured. He jumps down and both die in literally seconds. Afterwards, I talk to him twice and he falls asleep...so I leave him there and go about my merry way attempting to kill Bed Of Chaos. Next time I see him, he is dead in
Ash Lake
and I get a
Titanite Slab
from his daughter.

From what I can gather from the Wiki is that, because he didn't die...I don't get that
ring
? That is kinda stupid.

The "good ending"
is actually make him fail (losing more than a half of his health) in lost izalith and he will give you a ring and return to his land after.
The "bad ending"
is actually make him sleep (not losing so much of his health) and he will turn hollow in ash lake so his daughter kills him and gives you the slab

Have anyone of you guys killed Quelaag yet? just saw a video of someone using Quelaags Firesword and it looked awesome.

Dunno if you can get that sword but queelag soul sword is a katana i think

Hang on to boss souls even if you don't think you'll want to make the weapon (which you can't do until reaching a certain point any way) - they're not really worth using for the souls unless you're absolutely sure you don't want to use them for the weapons. There are so many other ways of getting large amounts of souls (a quick co-op sesh for example). IIRC the Moonlight Butterfly Soul is only worth something like 1,500 souls so it's not worth it.

Seance

Banned
I started a new character that's gonna be a Jack of all trades type. I'm going for 20str and 16 dex for the obsidian greatsword, 16 int for grt.magicweapon and dark bead and 30 faith for sunlight blade, wotg, grt lightningspear and grt, magicbarrier.

At 30 faith and 16 int would i be better off with the darkmoon catalyst or oolicile ivory? I can always check once i've made it w/ Gwyndolins soul but I was just wondering if anyone knew.

2AdEPT

did you attack with a vertical slice weapon? I find that works best on tails. Such as R1 on the Claymore 2H

just got to the bonfire in Sen's without dying, first try!

any slashing attack will work but the katanas seem to be the best....even better with bleed.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I started a new character that's gonna be a Jack of all trades type. I'm going for 20str and 16 dex for the obsidian greatsword, 16 int for grt.magicweapon and dark bead and 30 faith for sunlight blade, wotg, grt lightningspear and grt, magicbarrier.

At 30 faith and 16 int would i be better off with the darkmoon catalyst or oolicile ivory? I can always check once i've made it w/ Gwyndolins soul but I was just wondering if anyone knew.

Darkmoon due to faith scaling.

19+191 vs 180

I can't really figure out what armor I should upgrade.

I've finally stumbled upon the blacksmith in Anor Londo, so it's a bit easier to do so (being able to buy large shards). But I'm still not sure which set to go for. I've found a couple of sets:

Silver Knight Set
Elite Knight Set
Havel's Set
Thief Set
Crimson Set

Or are none of those worthy of considerable upgrades? Stat wise I'm focusing on endurance and dexterity (like to roll around stabbing stuff).

Just spent the last month playing Demon's/Dark for the first time. No guides, completely offline. Demon's I cleared in 65 hours at level 97, and Dark I cleared in 90 hours at level 99. I don't think I am going to play Dark Souls 2 until a few months after it's release, as I need a long break from this style of game. They were both incredible though. I think I liked Dark Souls more, but Demon's had the coolest area (Tower/Prison).

And after you kill the last one, speak with him and then quit your game or seigmeyer will take poison damage
Really? Maybe I've never spent enough time down there for the poison damage to make enough damage. I usually grab the goodies, slab, kill the other tentacle dude up top and I'm out of there on to Solaire of BoC. Good to know though.

I do remember doing NG+3,4,5 etc and reading to be more careful since that far along they do a lot more damage and could tip Seigmeyer over the percent of HP if he gets hit so you 'fail' the quest. I've hit him myself accidently too and had it mess up.

It has a different style of usage both are decent if you've got the points to use it. I certainly prefer the speed and the ease of use with my claymore 5+ though.

The Zweihander has hilarity on its side though.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I appear to have dropped my sword on you. Need a hand up?"

It's great vs the
lightning gargoyles in Anor Londo and the big hollows in Blighttown
too.

Mistel

Banned
The Zweihander has hilarity on its side though.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I appear to have dropped my sword on you. Need a hand up?"

It's great vs the
lightning gargoyles in Anor Londo and the big hollows in Blighttown
too.
I used mine for the Taurus demon it's amazing I'm going to upgrade it with titanite from Andre.Then I might kill the silver thing that I wandered passed to get into dark root garden.

The claymore has that thrust attack as well, it really helps with those dog things.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying a Black Knight Halberd/Man Serpent Greatsword combo at the moment.

The fully upgraded BKH turned both S & O into fine red pastes in about ten or so hits each (double handed, of course). It's beastly once you get the timing right. I keep the MSGS for invaders.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Have anyone of you guys killed Quelaag yet? just saw a video of someone using Quelaags Firesword and it looked awesome.

I've been using her Firesword for quite some time now, have it upgraded to +4 and I love it. Does really good damage, is a fast weapon, and looks great while doing it too.

Fevaweva

So I got to the Catacombs and killed
Pinwheel
in two hits. Granted I was double handing my Black Knight Sword AND had Power Within on...but still. I think I might be a bit overleveled

Seanspeed

Banned
is she hard to defeat?
I think the way it goes with Dark Souls bosses is that people all have different experiences. Some people will pull their hair out trying to beat bosses that others managed to beat on their first time. It kind of depends on what sort of skills you've picked up, what your build and weapons are like and your general style of playing.

For me, I struggled badly with Quelagg my first time. I had to resort to summoning for help. But my 2nd time through, I had learned to roll through attacks much more confidently and she was much easier.

I know others find it one of the easier battles. You'll just have to find out!

Tawpgun

So I got to the Catacombs and killed
Pinwheel
in two hits. Granted I was double handing my Black Knight Sword AND had Power Within on...but still. I think I might be a bit overleveled
You're probably fine. Did you do the Dlc bosses yet? Pinwheel is known for being the easiest boss in the game.

Chitown B

for me the dogs were easy. One swipe with the Claymore and they're both toast.

edit: ok I returned to my game after the guy invaded and the front door to Anor Londo is now open.... maybe he opened it? Hmmm. Creepy.

I feel like this door being opened for me ruined the area a bit....

I'll go to the other sections for looting once I beat O&S probably. After 5 or 6 tries, I think I'll probably summon some help.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
is she hard to defeat?

I didn't have any real problem with her, only took me three attempts to figure her out and decisively kill her. Certainly not on the level of O&S, that's for sure.

I just need two more pieces of demon titanite to bring my Firesword to +5. For the longest time I actively avoided the Titanite Demons because I couldn't kill them. I was actually kind of scared of them. But I finally took another shot at the one outside of Andre the Blacksmith and I now seem capable of bringing these sons of bitches down! So last night I went Titanite Demon hunting. Killed the one in Undead Parish, killed the one down in the Catacombs, killed the one in Anar Londo in the small room. I know there are some at the bottom of Sen's, so tonight I'm going hunting down there. I've not explored down there yet because of them, so I'm looking forward to this.

I didn't have any real problem with her, only took me three attempts to figure her out and decisively kill her. Certainly not on the level of O&S, that's for sure.

I just need two more pieces of demon titanite to bring my Firesword to +5. For the longest time I actively avoided the Titanite Demons because I couldn't kill them. I was actually kind of scared of them. But I finally took another shot at the one outside of Andre the Blacksmith and I now seem capable of bringing these sons of bitches down! So last night I went Titanite Demon hunting. Killed the one in Undead Parish, killed the one down in the Catacombs, killed the one in Anar Londo in the small room. I know there are some at the bottom of Sen's, so tonight I'm going hunting down there. I've not explored down there yet because of them, so I'm looking forward to this.

yeah I hate those demons :(

thats why I want the firesword so I can easily dispose of those demons :D

im planning on going to the catacombs to get that greatsword when you lay in that coffin

KLonso

I'm really early in the game (just past the first boss), so I haven't invested many stat points, but I'm not entirely sure what stats are considered to be useful. I'm playing a knight if that matters at all (and I've heard it doesn't) so what are the stats that I should start investing in at this point in the game?

Shawn6661

I'm really early in the game (just past the first boss), so I haven't invested many stat points, but I'm not entirely sure what stats are considered to be useful. I'm playing a knight if that matters at all (and I've heard it doesn't) so what are the stats that I should start investing in at this point in the game?

Boosting Vitality/Endurance never hurt. For the other stats, it depends what kind of build you re looking for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hummmm, Kalameet is strong, i hate him as much as Manus now. I wish i could summon but it always fail (PC version, any idea why ?). I once manage to summon a guy, we did good but he died somehow.

Any tips for Kalameet ? Is 2 hands the way to go ? (i do very little damage 1 hand with lightining uchigatana +5).

Last question, when i get invaded, am i right to jump into oblivion ? I read some story here about hackers ruining your save.

BigDug13

why are points put towards res wasted? saw that somewhere...

You only seem to get 2x the amount of resistances that you get from raising other stats so I think it's because it hardly seems worth it value-wise to waste your level-up skill point on 1 more point to all resistances than spending that point elsewhere would get you. Especially in a damage stat or more hitpoints/endurance.

It's not "wasted" per say, but is simply one of the least beneficial places to put the point. If putting a piece of armor on grants you as much in resistance as 10 levels of resistance stat boosts, then the amount of investment required to grant you that level up skill point seems like it has minimal value in Resistance stat compared to other stats that don't magically get bigger just by equipping an item.

Soulhouf

You only seem to get 2x the amount of resistances that you get from raising other stats so I think it's because it hardly seems worth it value-wise to waste your level-up skill point on 1 more point to all resistances than spending that point elsewhere would get you. Especially in a damage stat or more hitpoints/endurance.

It's not "wasted" per say, but is simply one of the least beneficial places to put the point. If putting a piece of armor on grants you as much in resistance as 10 levels of resistance stat boosts, then the amount of investment required to grant you that level up skill point seems like it has minimal value in Resistance stat compared to other stats that don't magically get bigger just by equipping an item.

It is wasted.
Try making a character SL125 with 99 res and another without touching res stat here: http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/
You'll see that the one with 99 res only has 20% more defense when naked.

NinjaBoiX

Haha, the Catacombs boss (the one that duplicates himself) was ridiculously easy. Five swipes with my Uchi +10, like a ninja!
Damn your baby blue eyes.
AC6LW5V.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Ooh, I like the look of that!

I have one, and I do fancy using another weapon, I've been using the Uchi for like 15 hours now.

Colour me intrigued Meat!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, I like the look of that!

I have one, and I do fancy using another weapon, I've been using the Uchi for like 15 hours now.

Colour me intrigued Meat!

I mean, it's essentially more of the same with a fraction less dmg (iirc), but finishing off a Black Knight with that R2 is an exquisite feeling, sir.

I would concentrate on vitality and endurance until you've found a weapon class you like and want to use, then look at what stat(s) that weapon scales with (the damage bonus, info found on the weapon stats page) then level up that stat too.

Generally big slow, smashy weapons are strength, stabby/slashy are dexterity, then you get weapons that scale with both. The more you level up that stat, the more damage your weapon does. Even more important early on is upgrading your weapon, you will see far more returns on upgrading than adding a few points into strength or dexterity.

Mistel

Banned
Good news first I was like this:
g9.gif

4 tries later it's dead with no phantoms to help me :). Kirk thorns knight is also dead, off to blight town if I can find it.

Chitown B

Good news first I was like this:
g9.gif

4 tries later it's dead with no phantoms to help me :). Kirk thorns knight is also dead, off to blight town if I can find it.

LOL. That guy was seriously the easiest boss other than Pinwheel, so far. if you just back off when it's slamming, and then run in and swing some, then back off again, it's super simple.

I do not recommend going into blight town that way...... if you want another option let me know.

Mistel

Banned
I do not recommend going into blight town that way...... if you want another option let me know.
Please tell me it's like being murdered by mushrooms but worse. I thought it was certainly easier than the others, it was making a mess on the floor with some vomit stuff as I killed it.

Top Bottom