• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Teknoman

I FINALLY GOT PAST THE SWORD SHOOTING ARCHERS *takes breath*

Man i've been stuck there for I dunno how long, and after a edge of seat battle against Ornstien and Smough...came out on top. Got enough strength to bop people with Demon's Machete...but after placing the lordvessel, I have no idea where I should check out first.

I kinda want to make my way back to Blighttown and see whats past those strange...virus looking enemies.

mannerbot

Should I do the dlc? I've got two more souls to collect before I can open the door with the lordvessel.

Absolutely, it's the best content in the game. You don't have to do it now, but make sure to do it before you finish the Kiln of the First Flame as beating the last boss immediately ends your game and starts a NG+.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Absolutely, it's the best content in the game. You don't have to do it now, but make sure to do it before you finish the Kiln of the First Flame as beating the last boss immediately ends your game and starts a NG+.
I don't think I ever tried, so I don't really know... but what happens if you use a Homeward bone after beating the last boss?

2AdEPT

Alright, I've got my "Twitch Plays Dark Souls" test up and running. (See my previous post for info.) If anybody would be able to jump in and help test it, that would be great:

http://www.twitch.tv/naiyte

EDIT: Something broke, back in a sec.

Apologies, I did not check this until now as I have surprise house guests coming and had to clean all morning....

I've posted in here in the past. Though I've started Demon's, I'm not sure if I have posted in there yet (although I do need to ask for tips because I feel I'm not ready for 4-1 and the flamelurker has aleady worn my ass like a hat).

Thanks for your response. I'm connected through RGB to my tv (no HDMI on my PC) and like I said, I followed a detailed instruction video which had me go as far as deleting DS and reinstalling etc. Even turning off AA as you say. I must admit that PC fiddling is not my forte, so even the most detailed list of options will go over my head.

It's a "ten-aidey-pee" 42" Vizio, connected through the rgb (that's what my tv has the input listed as) cable. So I'm not sure how resolution is affected in this circumstance. Edit: tv shows 1920x1080 which is exactly what I have DS selected to run at.

Edit 2: I'm on Windows 7.

Well you must have been active earlier on in the Dark release then....I seem to remember you as a vet. Anyway, the Flamelurker can be cheesed several ways...just se the environment to your advantage. If you dont want to cheese, get a few magic stats and use souls arrow on him at range....you can dodge all his attacks, but he moves quick and ranged battle always helps until you learn his moveset. Either way...thief ring is your friend for this fight.

Hmmm...well I had a few issues with DSFix early on but it was because I had msi afterburner on, I also moved my mouse around while loading which either crashed the load or extended it very long. Other than that, Ihave not had much experience with problems...its working AWESOME for me since a week after launch and prolly soaked 1500 hours into it....awesome, awesome version. Would be even better with proper netcode for the multiplayer....although the dscfix has helped if not completely ured much of those issues as well.

I would say keep trying, the 60 fps improves the gameplay to the point where i can hardly play at 30 anymore...I guess going backward would be allright now, but I could not parry reliably until I got it to 60fps, the enemies arm is visible coming up and gradually coming down makes it easier to judge the parrry softspot.

sikkinixx

Uggggggh 3 hours of trying to get the last 2 sunlight medals I need. People either a) summon me and meander around Anor Londo and get killed in silly ways b) get invaded and get killed or c) I get disconnected at the boss! Argh. All I need is one more. I got 5 in about an hour but these last couple.

On the plus side, a cool 350k souls sitting there.

mannerbot

Uggggggh 3 hours of trying to get the last 2 sunlight medals I need. People either a) summon me and meander around Anor Londo and get killed in silly ways b) get invaded and get killed or c) I get disconnected at the boss! Argh. All I need is one more. I got 5 in about an hour but these last couple.

On the plus side, a cool 350k souls sitting there.

Why not farm them from the Lost Izalith shortcut?

So it
gives you the same ending as if you walk away from the final bonfire? Gotcha.

Nah, it just keeps you in the room. You can't leave, but you can still pick either the bonfire or walking out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Now - as always. Overwhelming DPS. Take the Highest DPS weapon you have and stick some resin on it. If you poise break a gargoyle you can stunlock them to death.

Yep. Take your favorite weapon up to +5, apply resin and two-hand the weapon.You will take the first one out quickly enough, and after that n°2 is cake.

Mistel

Banned
Lower undead burg I've emptied of enemies, I assume that the capra demon drops the key I need. Bit of a strange question but i'm right in thinking with the right trajectory you can throw stuff over its fog gate?

Dekanach

I FINALLY GOT PAST THE SWORD SHOOTING ARCHERS *takes breath*

Man i've been stuck there for I dunno how long, and after a edge of seat battle against Ornstien and Smough...came out on top. Got enough strength to bop people with Demon's Machete...but after placing the lordvessel, I have no idea where I should check out first.

I kinda want to make my way back to Blighttown and see whats past those strange...virus looking enemies.

Virus looking enemies??

Maybe you should try The Catacombs first, for the item the boss gave you if you defeat him/her. And carry a divine weapon to there is a good option ;)

mannerbot

I didn't know you could. Can I go there yet? I've on just got The Lord vessel basically. And done some side kinda stuff.

Ah, then you'd have to clear an area and do some other stuff, might take a while. If you're intent on getting the sun medals ASAP then I suppose waiting for a summon would be faster.

Lower undead burg I've emptied of enemies, I assume that the capra demon drops the key I need. Bit of a strange question but i'm right in thinking with the right trajectory you can throw stuff over its fog gate?

Good observation, and you're right.

Mistel

Banned
Good observation, and you're right.
Thank you, I'm going to throw some dung and maybe a fire bomb over the top. So then it's poisoned and maybe the fire finishes it off. Hopefully it drops its sword thing.

Still not got my stone armor yet from dark root unless i'm looking in the completely wrong place.

Long time no update!

I ventured down into the Depths, finally. It was easy going at first, despite having to fight the butcher guy. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it might be, so I pressed on... falling down the hole behind his table. After making my way through the sewers carefully, I happened upon the giant rat mini-boss. Fortunately, I was on the second floor and took him out with some arrows instead of fighting head-on. Hoorah!

When I got further into the sewers, I was carrying around a 9000+ soul count and desperately trying to find a bonfire to level/save. However, I was suddenly invaded (having retained my humanity from a prior kindling or something), and I began to run for my life. I had no idea where I was, how to get back, or where a save spot was, but I did not want to lose my souls. I kept running until I came up to the boss veil. I knew it was either die at the hands of the player or the boss. I took my chances with the boss. And was promptly eaten alive.

I ended up losing the souls, but I made my way through a few times, finally happening upon the bonfire and rescuing the pyromancer guy. I managed to squeeze a few level grinds in, and I was able to defeat the boss with a little distraction help from Soltaire and Lautrec. It was a really easy fight, when I approached it calmly.

I went back to the Darkroot area and decided to grind up to 20,000 souls when I noticed I could fell the knights with little issue. I opened the gate and realized very quickly I wasn't ready for the humany character enemies. I returned to fight the butterfly and took it out in my first try on the attempt. It's really amazing the difference between a couple of levels and a little equipment upgrading.

Made my way on to Blighttown after having to look up where the heck to go to get there... Completely forgot about the door by the merchant guy. It seems like it will be rather difficult, as the first moments were met with barely surviving the welcoming committee and being toxic'd two or three times in a row. Found the bonfire and quit out. I'm so scared!

Really feels like I'm getting the hang of this game now, and it's been a lot of fun!

sikkinixx

Finally got my Sunlight medal! Huzzah! Dude I helped was in deep, his sword wasn't doing shit on Smough. Decided to try my +4 Lightning Halberd that I never use... holy shitballs it made mincemeat of him

Stoked to get Great Lightning Spear. Cashed in all my souls and went from level 70 to level 80, got my Endurance up to 40 finally. Faith is at 32 and Vitality still languishing at 21. Guess I'll pile it all into that from now on. I REALLY wish I had some more White Titanite chunks, some dude co-oping dropped me 2 before, which was awesome, so I could Occult my Uchi but I need the mega divine ember thing to get my Claymore past +5 Divine. For now I guess I will stick with Halberd, even if it's not making use of my higher faith, because frankly it's fucking shit up.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Tutorial wise I thought the asylum wasn't bad, but I've learned as I play so it's kinda a long tutorial.
All soul games have tutorials and have missable parts so IMO its functional. DS2 seems to do the same
except no boss at the end of the tutorial.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, so I had a busy day of Dark Souls.

Went back to Crystal Caves and discovered that I had stopped right before the boss and never knew it. Seath fell in defeat on my third attempt, he put up a valiant effort but it wasn't enough to stop me.
Even got a sword by hacking off his tail, that was cool.

Afterwards I went back to the Darkroot Garden to try my luck with Sif again. The first few times I tried to kill him I failed horribly. But that was a long time ago, and I've come a long way since then, and surprisingly I only needed two go's at him to take him down this time. He was a fun fight, such a majestic boss that I almost hated to slay him. Almost. Either my better gear made a huge difference or I'm just much better at the game now than I was then. I kind of think it's more a skill thing honestly. After playing this game for a bit you start to look for patterns and ways to counter attacks and such. I roll and dodge more than I block now it seems.

So,next I headed down to New Londo to finally explore that spooky place. Somehow I think I was meant to do this area much sooner as it seemed very easy for me now. At SL68 and with my Quaelog's Firesword +4 and Silver Knight's Armor +5 and Black Shield +5, well things just evaporated before me. I don't think I died even once. There was one moment when a few ghosts ganked me all at once, but after a quick recovery they fell like leaves in the wind. New Londo is a neat place though, I like the layout of that area a lot. Made my way all the way to the Four Kings, and heavens to mercy I one shot them! I only needed a few swigs of estus during the fight too. Honestly after Seath and Sif they seemed kind of tame.

Either I did a few bosses way out of order, meaning hard to easy, or I'm finally at the point where I'm coasting through the game now and almost coming to the end. I have two souls into the Lordvessel already, and I'm not quite sure where I am supposed to go next. Guess I'll explore those Demon's Ruins tomorrow (reminds me of Molten Core), and after that I'll head back to the Tomb of Giants (I finally found a lantern by grinding in the Catacombs). I'm hoping there is still a lot in the game yet, as I don't want it to end, lol.

mannerbot

Either I did a few bosses way out of order, meaning hard to easy, or I'm finally at the point where I'm coasting through the game now and almost coming to the end. I have two souls into the Lordvessel already, and I'm not quite sure where I am supposed to go next. Guess I'll explore those Demon's Ruins tomorrow (reminds me of Molten Core), and after that I'll head back to the Tomb of Giants (I finally found a lantern by grinding in the Catacombs). I'm hoping there is still a lot in the game yet, as I don't want it to end, lol.

Yeah, the game really falls off after Anor Londo. Make sure you do the DLC, it's a return to form.

Soriku

Fuck Kalameet and his tail. Took nearly half his HP off really slowly just by hitting his tail when I could and it never came out.

Chitown B

Fuck Kalameet and his tail. Took nearly half his HP off really slowly just by hitting his tail when I could and it never came out.

did you attack with a vertical slice weapon? I find that works best on tails. Such as R1 on the Claymore 2H

just got to the bonfire in Sen's without dying, first try!

Seance

Banned

Funny you say that. Faced Kalameet myself today and got the tail. You need to bait out the swoop attack, roll under his tail afterwards, then dodge the tail-slam at the last moment. It's the best opportunity you can give yourself to cut the tail.

Soriku

did you attack with a vertical slice weapon? I find that works best on tails. Such as R1 on the Claymore 2H

just got to the bonfire in Sen's without dying, first try!

Funny you say that. Faced Kalameet myself today and got the tail. You need to bait out the swoop attack, roll under his tail afterwards, then dodge the tail-slam at the last moment. It's the best opportunity you can give yourself to cut the tail.

OK I managed to get the tail. I was using the same tactic as you Seance. I believe my issue was that I was hitting the wrong part of his tail. I was hitting the upper section of his tail but you have to go lower. My Moonlight Greatsword was only doing 100+ damage with one hit two handed and that wasn't too good so I just used Crystal Soul Spear while aiming accordingly at his tail, plus Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring. Did 300+ damage then with a hit. Got him twice in his tail then finished the tail off with a swipe from my MGS.

Managed to kill him on my next try after getting the tail. It was a pretty long fight but my magic spells helped. I fought Kalameet like a million times at that point so I managed to dodge and block nearly all his attacks. First time I ever managed that for a boss.

Also I killed Gough for his armor lol. He was a cool dude though. Gonna go kill Chester next. That dude has an epic voice.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well now that I rang the bell, I'm at that point where I'm like, "well NOW where do I go?" I could go back through Undead whatevers and make sure I didn't miss anything, or maybe see what's up with that graveyard

also wondering if buying either of those rings from whatshisface at the bell tower is a good idea

mannerbot

Well now that I rang the bell, I'm at that point where I'm like, "well NOW where do I go?" I could go back through Undead whatevers and make sure I didn't miss anything, or maybe see what's up with that graveyard

also wondering if buying either of those rings from whatshisface at the bell tower is a good idea

Generally a good idea to read your key descriptions if you're not sure where you should go next.

When I got further into the sewers, I was carrying around a 9000+ soul count and desperately trying to find a bonfire to level/save. However, I was suddenly invaded (having retained my humanity from a prior kindling or something), and I began to run for my life. I had no idea where I was, how to get back, or where a save spot was, but I did not want to lose my souls. I kept running until I came up to the boss veil. I knew it was either die at the hands of the player or the boss. I took my chances with the boss. And was promptly eaten alive.
If the invader's name was
Knight Kirk
that is an NPC invader not another player. NPC invaders drop unique loot and a nice chunk of souls and they're all piss weak. Bad news is once you defeat the area boss you can no longer be invaded in that area - by NPCs or players.

How do you effectively fight the red drake? It's not a problem when it's on the bridge, attacking me with its claws (I usually run into it as soon as it lands). However, sometimes it flies up and starts breathing fire, usually landing on the other side of the bridge. The fire knocks me down and by the time I get up, the drake starts breathing fire again, basically resulting in a stunlock which kills me. I cant seems to reach the part in the middle with the stairs in time. Should I just stay very close to the stairs?

...The heater shield blocks fire well (the name is a clue), but you're better off, again, going around the back of them and pummelling away.

Actually the heater shield refers to the shape of the shield. Similarly the term kite shield also refers to the shape of the shield. Only problems is that the "kite" shields in Dark Souls aren't kite shaped, as kite shields are longer and meant to also protect the lower portion of the body. The Dark Souls "kite" shields are more similar to the heater shape.

Tiops

I just found out that the Falchion is one of the best weapons in the game.

I'm making a DEX/FAITH build using the Falchion + Darkmoon Blade and most bosses can't even see what's happening before I kill them. I never beat O&S so easilly than with this build.

40 END, 40 DEX and 30 FAITH. FAP Ring and Havel's Ring, some heavy armors and spammimg R1 with the Falchion all day long.

Overdoziz

Banned
How do you effectively fight the red drake? It's not a problem when it's on the bridge, attacking me with its claws (I usually run into it as soon as it lands). However, sometimes it flies up and starts breathing fire, usually landing on the other side of the bridge. The fire knocks me down and by the time I get up, the drake starts breathing fire again, basically resulting in a stunlock which kills me. I cant seems to reach the part in the middle with the stairs in time. Should I just stay very close to the stairs?
I usually don't bother with the red drake. His fire breathing attack always does seemingly random damage which makes it a very inconsistent fight.

Divius

1. From the stairs. run here quickly
AKVG1U1.jpg

2. He will breathe fire, just stay safe and wait until he lands

3. Attack his feet (or his head)

4a. If he flies to the other side of the bridge, run back to the stairs, wait until he's perched, repeat from step 1

4b. If he flies straight up to breath fire downwards, stand next to this pillar (exactly where the soul counter is in the screenshot). It is a weird safe spot. He will land, repeat from step 3.

It's a somewhat weird fight, his fire attacks are devastating and will often indeed get you stunlocked and therefore killed.

Top Bottom