• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I was under the impression it's the longest sword in DS. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's still definitely one of the best:

I ain't correcting shit, I just assumed the Zwei was longer. Claymore is so... stubby. Saying that, I'm rocking the MSGS with my BKH and THAT is super stubby.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How do you deal with the low durability if the iato? Repair powder x 50?

Never been an issue for me. Repair it at a bonfire whenever I get to one. On that build I have a lightning Washpole +5 and the Chaos Blade in my inventory if things get particularly hairy (and the Silver Knight Spear for the Catacombs... And a +14 Great Scythe... Just because).

I loves katanas me.

xenist

My dude will probably end up broken later on, but one shotting those tall shield guys in undead parish is fun so far. Am I correct to assume that reaching the roof of the church means shit's about to get real? I don't want to play with walkthroughs.

The bosses and mini bosses haven't dropped shit yet. Which sucks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually found the darkwood grain ring without a guide back in the day... but it was completely accidental.

This was pre-1.04. I had joined the forest hunter covenant, spoke to Shiva and all, then quit the game right there. When I reloaded later, I suddenly got a bunch of souls and Shiva and the other forest clan members started attacking me. WTF? I ran away, not understanding what I had done to break the covenant. Went to Oswald, paid an exorbitant amount of souls (pre-1.04 it was your SL x 2000, not your SL x 500... ouch) for absolution, then returned to the forest. The clan members were friendly again, but there was a glowing item near where the ninja was. It was the ring, and pre-patch it would make you do ninja flips even at <50% of your burden, rather than <25%, so it was ridiculously OP.

After looking up WTF happened (cause I definitely didn't attack anyone so how did that dude die?), turns out there was (probably patched by now... I hope) this glitch where if you quit and reload in the forest, this NPC sometimes spawned over an empty cliff and fell to his death. Which was blamed on me. LOL

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My dude will probably end up broken later on, but one shotting those tall shield guys in undead parish is fun so far. Am I correct to assume that reaching the roof of the church means shit's about to get real? I don't want to play with walkthroughs.

You are correct. Be Prepared to Die. :D

gogosox8

I actually found the darkwood grain ring without a guide back in the day... but it was completely accidental.

This was pre-1.04. I had joined the forest hunter covenant, spoke to Shiva and all, then quit the game right there. When I reloaded later, I suddenly got a bunch of souls and Shiva and the other forest clan members started attacking me. WTF? I ran away, not understanding what I had done to break the covenant. Went to Oswald, paid an exorbitant amount of souls (pre-1.04 it was your SL x 2000, not your SL x 500... ouch) for absolution, then returned to the forest. The clan members were friendly again, but there was a glowing item near where the ninja was. It was the ring, and pre-patch it would make you do ninja flips even at <50% of your burden, rather than <25%, so it was ridiculously OP.

After looking up WTF happened (cause I definitely didn't attack anyone so how did that dude die?), turns out there was (probably patched by now... I hope) this glitch where if you quit and reload in the forest, this NPC sometimes spawned over an empty cliff and fell to his death. Which was blamed on me. LOL

I remember getting invaded by some dude who was using the ring and then harassing him until he told how to get the ring. Then I farmed up enough souls to get into the forest and joined the covenant, pushed the ninja off the cliff, quit and reloaded and got the ring. And was so worth it, that ring was really powerful. It literally had the effects of three different rings all in one ring. I kinda miss it but it did need to be nerfed.

Yeah DWGR was hilariously overpowered. I was ninja flipping in most of Havel's armor, it was glorious. With Havel's Ring, of course. Man those were the days.

But, as nice as it was, it's definitely better that it's purely <25 now.

EDIT: Oh my god that review. That's amazing.

Gregorn

All I want to do is show off that I finished Dark Souls at SL1. I should have gone all the way and done no armour, it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

21b8add72c.png

09489b151d.png

Dark Souls 2 is going to seem really easy to me now, I've ruined the game for myself.

NinjaBoiX

O&S

tumblr_m83rykek2a1r6470go1_500.gif

They aren't even that hard man, I just keep fucking up. I've been onto Super Ornstein a few times but to no avail.

I know what to do, keep close to his legs and watch out for the butt slam, but I just can't quite seal the deal.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm doing O&S on NG++ right now. Summoning Solaire and actually getting him into the fighting area is more of a hassle that I'd like to be. Got to super Smough twice now and died both times because I did dumb shit. :(

Mistel

Banned
My deaths all generally relate to stun locks and stupidity. I forget I'm not playing monster hunter where you can just tank pretty much everything, whilst swinging away with a great sword so I can carve up a corpse for stuff.

Randam

+5 Dragon Crest Shield and a +5 Black Knight Sword. Does a fuck load of damage and stuff.

But I wanna try out new weapons before I get to the end, thats how I realised I somehow missed the ember.

ah, okay.

btw.: the dragon crest shield has shitty stabillity.
a +8 kite shield is already better.

Yeah DWGR was hilariously overpowered. I was ninja flipping in most of Havel's armor, it was glorious. With Havel's Ring, of course. Man those were the days.

But, as nice as it was, it's definitely better that it's purely <25 now.

never used the ring, because I was wearing armor, that wouldnt have looked ridiculous when flipping in it.

why would you want a RAW Claymore?

raw isnt that bad.
pretty early you can forge yourself a cheap and very strong weapon.
and latter you can return it to +5 and upgrade to +15 after you have the right ember and materials.

Four Kings on NG+. Seriously, fuck those guys.

same as NG.
DPS, DPS, DPS.

Mindlog

It is a great review.
NG makes tanking possible.
In the end: DPS, DPS, DPS.

:smug:
Four Kings on NG+ was a little hard the first few times I tried it. I got into my own head and stepped out of my game. After regrouping I went full DPS and slaughtered them. Same thing with NG++ O&S. I almost felt sorry for them. There's just nothing in PvE that stands for very long against Tin Crystallization, Power Within and 50 INT. Heck TC and PW aren't even necessary. They just expedite proceedings.
Havel? Bah.
I'll stick with the Fog Ring and my dress!
The Fog Ring made some skilled players adapt to not locking on faster. It had a positive influence on play even when it got the nerf.

Mistel

Banned
The next one the gaping dragon just wants to be put out of it's misery, it's far easier in fact it lets you kill it. Well first attempt solaire got eaten...

All I want to do is show off that I finished Dark Souls at SL1. I should have gone all the way and done no armour, it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Dark Souls 2 is going to seem really easy to me now, I've ruined the game for myself.

Me and my buddy recently finished an SL5 run. We could've done SL1, but I like bows more than pyromancies, so....
Granted, we helped each other out through it, so probably not particularly impressive given an actual Sl1 run.

You won't know anything about Dark Souls II's enemies, bosses, or layout when it comes out. Being good at Dork Souls won't mean the sequel is going to be too easy.

I got tired of SL1 because it basically turns into a "pyromancy and/ or reinforced club" run. Base equipment runs are more interesting to me.

You won't know anything about Dark Souls II's enemies, bosses, or layout when it comes out. Being good at Dork Souls won't mean the sequel is going to be too easy.

I got tired of SL1 because it basically turns into a "pyromancy and/ or reinforced club" run. Base equipment runs are more interesting to me.

You should try a bow only run. Stuff is awesome, and hilarious when you realize you're running around with 3 different bows and nothing else haha.

I envy those that have such an easy time that they have to make it harder for themselves.

I also like how Dark Souls 2 will be kinda centered around this idea. This
new covenant and the Bonfire Ascetic
are prime examples. When the game isn't already hard enough.

xenist

The gargoyles are toast. The bell is rung. Now I'm just running around.

The bastards didn't drop anything anything either.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's because the game is endlessly replayable. I know it took me several playthroughs before I attempted SL1.

I think I'm close to the end of the game now, already have two souls into the Lordvessel, but now that I know the Dark Souls experience I have to admit that playing at SL1 sounds like a unique and fun challenge. I learned too slowly that upgrading gear is almost always more beneficial than gaining levels anyway.

Once I do "win" I'm going to start a new character and see just how easy the beginning is now that I know how to play. It all seemed so hard back when I started this game, LOL.

I think I'm close to the end of the game now, already have two souls into the Lordvessel, but now that I know the Dark Souls experience I have to admit that playing at SL1 sounds like a unique and fun challenge. I learned too slowly that upgrading gear is almost always more beneficial than gaining levels anyway.

Once I do "win" I'm going to start a new character and see just how easy the beginning is now that I know how to play. It all seemed so hard back when I started this game, LOL.

Vereor Nox, I will try running a SL1 before Dark Souls 2

Divius

I'm basically done with my SL1 run. I'm just invading in the burg with it. I've only to beat Manus (maybe) and Gwyn.

Gwyn should not be a problem. Manus could be a nuisance.

Top Bottom