• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

The first armored Boar you met can give you a awesome helmet drop if you are lucky.

You mean totally ridiculous.

So I managed to record some footage of me doing PvP in the Township. I'm not great, but I use Composite Bow/Dragonslayer Bow exclusively, so it's at least different. Managed to make a guy rage quit off a cliff, haha. That's a keeper of a clip for sure.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Oh well. I guess I'm stuck with halberd for now.

The halberd is pretty good in my opinion. Had it until I picked up a Silver Knight sword in Anor Londo, but I probably could have picked up some better weapons along the way. Kinda miss being able to line up several enemies and hit them at once, like you can with the halberd, though.

Chitown B

The halberd is pretty good in my opinion. Had it until I picked up a Silver Knight sword in Anor Londo, but I probably could have picked up some better weapons along the way. Kinda miss being able to line up several enemies and hit them at once, like you can with the halberd, though.

if you're at the Gargoyles, you probably have the Claymore. that's my favorite :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How good is the black knight halberd I got one when he fell of a cliff in darkroot. Is that good once you have the stats to wield it?

I am currently using it. With a carefully timed R2 I am one shotting Silver Knights at +5 with damage to spare.

It's immense.

You have to ask yourself whether the stat investment is worth it. 32 Str (22 two handed) and 18 DEX.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
if you're at the Gargoyles, you probably have the Claymore. that's my favorite :)

Yeah, the claymore is one of my favorites too. I use the Quaelogg Firesword most of the time but I've played around with other weapons. Of all the greatwores the claymore is my fav, I even prefer it over the Zweihander. IMHO the Zwei is too slow and not as much fun to use. I love the claymore's R2 stab attack, great reach and so useful against almost everything.

Mistel

Banned
I am currently using it. With a carefully timed R2 I am one shotting Silver Knights at +5 with damage to spare.

It's immense.

You have to ask yourself whether the stat investment is worth it. 32 Str (22 two handed) and 18 DEX.
I can just about wield it two handed with 1 more point of dexterity both that and strength are helpful for my claymore. So it's not that much of an investment.

Hey guys. I've had Dark Souls on PC for quite a while. I bought it on a Steam sale, played it for maybe 20 minutes, hated the fact that it looked like ass, played like ass and felt like ass(not the nice kind either), and pretty much haven't touched it since.

I kept telling myself to give it another chance, to use the glorious tools of making it better through mods, but I just stopped caring because I didn't feel like going through mods and figuring out which ones were worth a shit and which ones weren't(I do it enough for Skyrim).

What I'm asking for is a helping hand. I'd love to have a list of mods that will not only make the game playable, but also looking as good as it should be. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys. I've had Dark Souls on PC for quite a while. I bought it on a Steam sale, played it for maybe 20 minutes, hated the fact that it looked like ass, played like ass and felt like ass(not the nice kind either), and pretty much haven't touched it since.

I kept telling myself to give it another chance, to use the glorious tools of making it better through mods, but I just stopped caring because I didn't feel like going through mods and figuring out which ones were worth a shit and which ones weren't(I do it enough for Skyrim).

What I'm asking for is a helping hand. I'd love to have a list of mods that will not only make the game playable, but also looking as good as it should be. Thanks in advance!

"Blah blah dark souls mods"
Well there's your problem. You need exactly 2 mods. Ever. DSFix, which gets the game running at 1080p, and DSCFix, which lets the game prioritize your friends for summons. That's it.
The game plays amazingly. It's not a hack and slash -- it's something more akin to Monster Hunter (Though 10x smoother and less clunky). The -entire game- is built on punishment. Everything from level design, how it handles death, the story's themes, everything.
Including the controls. Once you start making an attack, you are committed. Until that attack is done, you can do nothing, except some slight aim adjustment of it. It's not a character action game, you can't dodge out of everything. If you make an attack at a bad time, you're going to be punished for it. So "felt like ass" really isn't doing the game justice. You're right, the game doesn't play like smooth butter. That's part of what makes it so good.

Mods really don't make it better. Really. Download the two I mentioned and nothing else.

EDIT: Forgot the reason I came in here. Here's a link to my recording of that awesome Greatbow duel.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9743143/Videos/The Greatbow Duel.mp4
Keep in mind, I have different tastes in music. I know. Feel free to mute, recording this was as much for my enjoyment as it was a test.

"Blah blah dark souls mods"
Well there's your problem. You need exactly 2 mods. Ever. DSFix, which gets the game running at 1080p, and DSCFix, which lets the game prioritize your friends for summons. That's it.
The game plays amazingly. It's not a hack and slash -- it's something more akin to Monster Hunter (Though 10x smoother and less clunky). The -entire game- is built on punishment. Everything from level design, how it handles death, the story's themes, everything.
Including the controls. Once you start making an attack, you are committed. Until that attack is done, you can do nothing, except some slight aim adjustment of it. It's not a character action game, you can't dodge out of everything. If you make an attack at a bad time, you're going to be punished for it. So "felt like ass" really isn't doing the game justice. You're right, the game doesn't play like smooth butter. That's part of what makes it so good.

I probably should have clarified, when I say it felt terrible, I meant that it looked and ran so poorly, that it affected any sense of enjoyment I may have had.

Anyway, I'll go grab those mods and put them to work.

Shawn6661

Kalameet defeated : victory achieved ! In the end, i think Manus is a little bit harder.

Pro tip : use 2 hands and roll, blocking is useless.

WOW!
I just had my first real overcoming sensation from playing the game.

Since my last update, I managed to finish poking around the bottom of
Blighttown to my satisfaction, and I fought Quelaag. I died so quickly the first few times because I tried to attack the butt of the spider by running behind it when it was spewing lava. I would get 1hit KO'd by his red blast thing, so I thought I would give it a go at playing more head-on to see what the animations were like. It was soooo much easier. The enemies in this game always telegraph their movements and attacks so well that it just takes your patience and memory to easily get a leg-up on things. After one or two more tries, I managed to knock down Quelaag and found her sister downstairs after ringing the bell.

When I returned to Firelink, I noticed the maiden lady downstairs was gone and so was Laurtrec. I wondered if I had done something wrong and went to look up what was amuck. Lautrec! You jerk! I'm gonna get you sooner or later.

In the meanwhile, I headed down to the Great Hollow and got cursed, puched by mushrooms, and fell to my death numerous times collecting everything. It was such great fun! : (

The real accomplishment was what lay ahead... When I got to the bottom and found the Hydra, I quickly ran in the other direction. I mulled it over for a while and kindled the fire, deciding to give the dragon a chance. I mean, shoot, I already took down a crazy fire spider queen lady thing, right?

The Hydra easily took me out with his water blasts, so I figured I should try to get right on the edge of the bank (after having accidentally fallen down into the lake when running away from an attack). I used up 6 of my estus flasks before I managed to take off one of the heads. I used up 3 more taking off the second head, and my final one was used to take off a third head. Finally, I had enough space to easily maneuver between their heads and necks without any worry, and I slowly widdled down the rest of its health. I can't describe how exciting it was to see it go out in a twinkle of water droplets and souls. So pumped!

Going to probably head up to Sen's fortress after exploring what's down in the Lake some more, but we'll see!

I probably should have clarified, when I say it felt terrible, I meant that it looked and ran so poorly, that it affected any sense of enjoyment I may have had.

Anyway, I'll go grab those mods and put them to work.
The game is locked to 30fps. Sucks, but the way the engine is coded 60fps causes a bunch of issues.
And Dark Souls is far more about art design than pushing polygons anyway.

Teknoman

The game is locked to 30fps. Sucks, but the way the engine is coded 60fps causes a bunch of issues.
And Dark Souls is far more about art design than pushing polygons anyway.

Well playing it with the framerate unlocked via DSfix hasnt caused any issues for me yet (that i've noticed anyway) aside from making things feel that much more threatening.

At any rate, for the first time since i've played the game on PS3 then moved to PC...I made it down to New Londo and unlocked the floodgates...

WTF at the floor. I mean I read the story behind the key and talked to the guy to get clarification, but thats just messed up.

goddamit i cant stand this game right now

i cant even go into the depths anymore because of the goddamn butcher that smashes me into pieces every time i go there...
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Really? I never knew that, I just did a few thrust attacks for both and they died.

When you save Laurentius, he says, "I would have been her supper ..." Add to that the observation that the sack seems to be a carry-over from Miralda the Executioner's gear in Demon's Souls.

Ketch

So just finished the catacombs... killed the boss in three hits. I think I might be over leveled now. How much more is left? Hopefully I'll beat it this weekend.

Is it normal to still be using a Black Knight Sword at SL103? I went with a strength build and for the life of me, I don't enjoy using any other sword. BKS just clicks, and I've used it for 70+ hours now. Got it maxed at +5 and it's one or two-shotting most enemies. I'm sure there will be a better sword soon enough, but man... and it looks so awesome to boot.

A bunch of issues? Sounds a bit exaggerated.
Well the first time you slide down a 40ft ladder and just slip through the floor and lose a bunch of souls, you make sure its the only time.

Edit: Disappeared, there's very little in the way of good weapons/bad weapons. In PvP it shows up a bit more, but in PvE there are very few weapons that are just bad. If a weapon just clicks with you, then that's fantastic.
For reference I beat the game (minus four kings cuz fuck them) with a bow.

KLonso

Dear god am I bad at this game. I'm currently in Undead Burg, and I'm stuck in a cycle of farming enough souls to buy arrows so that I don't die on the way to the boss, getting to the boss, almost killing it, and then dying just to go farm some more souls. Are there any weapons I could be using that would make this section easier? I'm currently using a club and a short bow that I bought from the merchant, and the shield and armour that I started with.

njean777

Dear god am I bad at this game. I'm currently in Undead Burg, and I'm stuck in a cycle of farming enough souls to buy arrows so that I don't die on the way to the boss, getting to the boss, almost killing it, and then dying just to go farm some more souls. Are there any weapons I could be using that would make this section easier? I'm currently using a club and a short bow that I bought from the merchant, and the shield and armour that I started with.

You could cheese the dragon for the drake sword, just depends on if you want to do that. I did for my first time through. It isn't worth upgrading though and will lose its luster after a while when enemies get harder. TBH I don't know if you can even get that before beating the first boss. Have you tried climbing the tower right after walking onto the bridge? You can take out the archers and then jump on him and take off a nice chunk of his health, then just watch him to learn his pattern and start learning how to dodge.

http://www.twitch.tv/ace_pilot_blitz/c/3760459
For the record, this is my friend. He's played a bit of Dark Souls before, but has *until tonight* only made it as far as the parish. This is him playing earlier.

Long story short, this is the luckiest man alive. He's no where near good enough to actually fight a black knight, so the game hands him this freebie.
EDIT: Also we had a running gag where I was his subconscious.

Clockwork5

If yourehaving trouble in the burg you could try the spear. Not super powerful but quick, direct and you can attack while blocking.

ZenaxPure

Oh god, I feel like I've accidentally done some areas out of their intended order. I didn't mess with Darkroot or the Catacombs early on because I got sidetracked by doing other stuff. Anyway skip forward a lot and upon obtaining the lordvessel I decided to head back and explore those areas but I was literally non-critical one shotting all of the enemies in both of those areas (save those giant armored dudes in Darkroot who requires a whole 1 extra swing of my sword) and killed the 3 bosses I encountered in a matter of seconds.

Kind of depressed by it because I just sort of blazed through there with no challenge whatsoever.

Chitown B

ran up and over and got to the giant blacksmith. opened the shortcut. Now I think I'll farm and get the Giant Armor to use and upgrade past my Stone Set. what say GAF?

What class are you? The Reinforced Club the Burg merchant sells is actually quite good. And the Heater Shield he sells blocks 100% of physical attacks (drains stamina instead of health when blocking). If the spear wielding enemies drop a spear, you could try that. Gives you a little range and you can attack while blocking. The cemetery near Firelink Shrine has some good items, but beware the skeletons.

When fighting the Taurus Demon, did you try climbing the ladder (behind you when you pass the fog door)and doing a drop down attack? That takes out like a third of his health. Then run to the other side and make him follow you, bait an attack, and run back to the ladder to repeat.

A tip when fighting: let of of the block button after blocking to regen stamina faster. And it's usually better to roll and dodge an attack rather than tanking with the shield and risk getting stunlocked because you drained your stamina blocking. Stay under 25% / 50% equip weight to fast/mid roll.

Oh god, I feel like I've accidentally done some areas out of their intended order. I didn't mess with Darkroot or the Catacombs early on because I got sidetracked by doing other stuff. Anyway skip forward a lot and upon obtaining the lordvessel I decided to head back and explore those areas but I was literally non-critical one shotting all of the enemies in both of those areas (save those giant armored dudes in Darkroot who requires a whole 1 extra swing of my sword) and killed the 3 bosses I encountered in a matter of seconds.

Kind of depressed by it because I just sort of blazed through there with no challenge whatsoever.

The forest doesn't matter, aside from Artorias's grove or whatever it's called with the Forest Covenant. The phantoms are fun to fight and give tons of souls. The path to the butterfly just has mobs of tree-dudes and ancient knights, so going there earlier in the game might just get you killed anyway. It's a short area with one non-essential ember, so nothing to worry about blazing through. Going to Catacombs early on is pointless unless you're making a run for the Great Scythe.

Pinwheel and the Moonlight Butterfly are always easy even if you are low level, not to worry. :)

Adry9

What's your setup? I personally didn't find them that hard on my first playthrough. They seemed to barely hit me at all once I got up close.

I don't remember the name of the armor so here's a pic XD

C5FDF24CCB1ACD52AF5E8B3DDB207F2CC5E6F2CB

I use the sword two-handed. I'm level 70 and I'm also wearing Havel's ring.

Top Bottom