• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Since we're sharing pics... Here are my boys :)

xHRcs0e.jpg

Which bonfire? I drained the area and I just run from Firelink Shrine to the fight.

Yeah, from Firelink. You can cut a huge chunk out your journey...

Where you meet the first two ghosts after coming across the bridge from Firelink, head right. You'll see a ruined archway wide enough for you can jump onto. It's near the body in the pot that has a couple of cursed limbs. From there you can land safely and it's only a short walk (filled with baddies) to the Abyss. You can just run it, if you feel brave

xenist

I know I said I want to play this without a playthrough but I have a question. All this loot I'm picking up, armor, weapons and shit, does it have any point? Because I have a ton of nonsense stuffed in the bottomless box and I haven't found a way to deal with it yet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I know I said I want to play this without a playthrough but I have a question. All this loot I'm picking up, armor, weapons and shit, does it have any point? Because I have a ton of nonsense stuffed in the bottomless box and I haven't found a way to deal with it yet.

How far are you in?

Total noob to the game. Had no idea about strafing and died at least 10 times at the Bell Gargoyle fight. Learned you can strafe, beat it first time. A bit maddening, but, guess that's my fault not knowing all the controls.

Deitus

I don't remember the name of the armor so here's a pic XD

I use the sword two-handed. I'm level 70 and I'm also wearing Havel's ring.

That's the Gravelord Sword correct? Part of your problem might be that you are used to toxin doing a lot of damage for you, but The Four Kings are immune to toxin. Still, if the sword is properly upgraded it should be doing good base damage (but with crap scaling). What level is your sword?

Ultimately the best way to beat the Four Kings is to kill the first one before the second one can spawn, and repeat for all four. To do that, you are going to want to maximize your DPS in any way you can. So if you haven't already, level your sword to the max (or as high as you can with the materials you have). Unfortunately you cannot use any resins or enhancement spells to power up that particular weapon, but you could use the pyromancy "Power Within" to increase your damage output by 40%. Of course that also adds a health drain effect, so use at your own risk.

Alternately, you could change your weapon, but I don't know what your stats are, or what weapons you have leveled up. They are especially weak to fire, so a fire weapon or a Charcoal Pine Resin used on a normal weapon could do some serious damage. But using an underleveled weapon might negate any benefits of changing weapons.

There are not many pieces of equipment in this game that would be considered useless. Most of the weapons and armors will have a use to someone, but not necessarily you. A given player will only use a small fraction of the items that they come across in the game. But it's hard to know right away whether a given item will have some later use.

For example, different armors have different resistances, to the point where you might temporarily switch out your whole armor set for one with more fire resistance in order to fight enemies that use a lot of fire attacks. And while there are some armors that have straight up better resistances than others, their weight will prevent lighter characters from wearing them. Also, there are some armors that have high resistances, but you can't level them up, so they are really useful early on, but drop off in the late game where upgraded armors outclass them.

For weapons, it ultimately comes down to the moveset. You should try out different weapons that you pick up (not necessarily all of them), to get a feel for the different kind of movesets available. You may find that the weapons you are used to using are not necessarily the best for your playstyle. And while some weapons might have somewhat better stats than others, you can easily beat the game with pretty much any weapon in the game, provided the moveset suits you, and you keep it upgraded. There are a couple exceptions, like the Straight Sword Hilt you start the game with, but that actually has other uses.

Chitown B

Stone Armor vs. Giant's Armor?

I think the benefit here is you can upgrade Giant's, into the best in the game I believe. But that will take some farming.

ZenaxPure

The forest doesn't matter, aside from Artorias's grove or whatever it's called with the Forest Covenant. The phantoms are fun to fight and give tons of souls.

Yeah but that was the really depressing part. I suspected the Butterfly was supposed to be an early game thing when I killed her with like 6 arrows, but, I was more referring to Artorias' grave. The experience I had was the phantoms weren't fun to fight either cause I was just walking up and slaughtering them (though that has more to do with enemies that behave like humans being incredibly boring and easy to backstab) and then when I got to Sif I just rolled under his swing emptied my stamina bar, rolled under the next and emptied, then rolled and attacked again and he died. Whole thing lasted maybe 20 or 30 seconds.

Based on how quickly he crumpled I figured he was meant as more of an early game boss, otherwise the game has a weird sense of progression considering how challenging Ornstein/Smough was compared to that.

Chitown B

Yeah but that was the really depressing part. I suspected the Butterfly was supposed to be an early game thing when I killed her with like 6 arrows, but, I was more referring to Artorias' grave. The experience I had was the phantoms weren't fun to fight either cause I was just walking up and slaughtering them (though that has more to do with enemies that behave like humans being incredibly boring and easy to backstab) and then when I got to Sif I just rolled under his swing emptied my stamina bar, rolled under the next and emptied, then rolled and attacked again and he died. Whole thing lasted maybe 20 or 30 seconds.

Based on how quickly he crumpled I figured he was meant as more of an early game boss, otherwise the game has a weird sense of progression considering how challenging Ornstein/Smough was compared to that.

My progression so far has been:

Asylum Demon > Taurus Demon > Gargoyles > Hydra > Moonlit Butterfly > Capra Demon > Sif > Gaping Dragon > Pinwheel > Iron Golem

Now I'm at O&S.

ZenaxPure

My progression so far has been:

Asylum Demon > Taurus Demon > Gargoyles > Hydra > Moonlit Butterfly > Capra Demon > Sif > Gaping Dragon > Pinwheel > Iron Golem

Now I'm at O&S.

Yeah my run was wayyyyyy different than that. I haven't been using a walkthrough (outside of stuff like trying to figure out where to find specific items) and I ended up: Asylum -> Taurus -> Gargoyles -> Capra -> Gaping -> exploring new londo ruins until I couldn't figure out what to do -> Quelaag -> Iron Golem -> O/S -> exploring londo ruins again until the boss room trickery happened -> butterfly -> Sif -> Pinwheel.

Oh well, I think I am going to have to put my run on hold though. Seems like my PS3 controller has finally decided to bite the dust, I tried to open my menu a bit ago and instead used all 20 charges of my estus flask and then when I hit the start button again I just rolled off a cliff instead. Thing has been dying for a while, but, this took it to a whole new level.

xenist

How far are you in?

Early on. I'm going through Darkroot Garden.

There are not many pieces of equipment in this game that would be considered useless. Most of the weapons and armors will have a use to someone, but not necessarily you. A given player will only use a small fraction of the items that they come across in the game. But it's hard to know right away whether a given item will have some later use.

For example, different armors have different resistances, to the point where you might temporarily switch out your whole armor set for one with more fire resistance in order to fight enemies that use a lot of fire attacks. And while there are some armors that have straight up better resistances than others, their weight will prevent lighter characters from wearing them. Also, there are some armors that have high resistances, but you can't level them up, so they are really useful early on, but drop off in the late game where upgraded armors outclass them.

For weapons, it ultimately comes down to the moveset. You should try out different weapons that you pick up (not necessarily all of them), to get a feel for the different kind of movesets available. You may find that the weapons you are used to using are not necessarily the best for your playstyle. And while some weapons might have somewhat better stats than others, you can easily beat the game with pretty much any weapon in the game, provided the moveset suits you, and you keep it upgraded. There are a couple exceptions, like the Straight Sword Hilt you start the game with, but that actually has other uses.

I'm talking about trash. Longswords, hilts, stuff like that. Loot normal enemies drop.

Early on. I'm going through Darkroot Garden.

I'm talking about trash. Longswords, hilts, stuff like that. Loot normal enemies drop.

Longswords really aren't trash, but getting like a million of them does suck.

Best bet would be to just drop all extras you have, really. But the hilts can actually be upgraded into their own badass sword, so even those have a purpose.

Almost every backstabbable enemy is easy to cheese with strafing. I just parry against them. But if you beat Sif in just a few hits then your character is grossly overpowered. What level would that even be?

Chitown B

Yeah my run was wayyyyyy different than that. I haven't been using a walkthrough (outside of stuff like trying to figure out where to find specific items) and I ended up: Asylum -> Taurus -> Gargoyles -> Capra -> Gaping -> exploring new londo ruins until I couldn't figure out what to do -> Quelaag -> Iron Golem -> O/S -> exploring londo ruins again until the boss room trickery happened -> butterfly -> Sif -> Pinwheel.

Oh well, I think I am going to have to put my run on hold though. Seems like my PS3 controller has finally decided to bite the dust, I tried to open my menu a bit ago and instead used all 20 charges of my estus flask and then when I hit the start button again I just rolled off a cliff instead. Thing has been dying for a while, but, this took it to a whole new level.

Same here, I'm not following a walkthrough. Just referencing a wiki occasionally. I think Pinwheel is supposed to be done way earlier.

ZenaxPure

Almost every backstabbable enemy is easy to cheese with strafing. I just parry against them. But if you beat Sif in just a few hits then your character is grossly overpowered. What level would that even be?

When I did Sif I was like level 56 with an Uchigatana +14 (also have a bandit knife which is what I use for backstabbing). Honestly I'm not sure how I could be overpowered when I haven't really done any grinding, my path outlined in my previous post is how I went. Perhaps I might be though since I just dumped all my points into dex right off the bat since dodging makes vitality semi-worthless for me (I mean obviously more HP never hurts, but I look at it as a secondary thing) and I don't care too much about endurance since stamina regen is so fast. I hit 40 dex a pretty long time ago.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
When I did Sif I was like level 56 with an Uchigatana +14 (also have a bandit knife which is what I use for backstabbing). Honestly I'm not sure how I could be overpowered when I haven't really done any grinding, my path outlined in my previous post is how I went.

I think most players, especially new ones, tackle Sif early on, certainly before getting to Anor Londo.

Randam

Total noob to the game. Had no idea about strafing and died at least 10 times at the Bell Gargoyle fight. Learned you can strafe, beat it first time. A bit maddening, but, guess that's my fault not knowing all the controls.

you are thought how to look on in the tutorial level.

you can sell stuff later, but it is almost not worth it, because you get so little amounts of souls.

so drop it, or put it in the BB.

ZenaxPure

I think most players, especially new ones, tackle Sif early on, certainly before getting to Anor Londo.

Yeah that's what I figured based on how easy the fight was. I forgot I had a generic 360 controller laying around so I plugged it in and jumped back into the game and went down to 4 kings, that felt more appropriate challenge-wise. Took me a few tries and any damage took off about half my HP. Was more of what I was expecting going forward.

It does make me wonder if I've missed out on any other bosses and passed them up when I should have done them earlier, though. But I don't really want to look it up since it's more fun to just run around and discover stuff.

Chitown B

Yeah that's what I figured based on how easy the fight was. I forgot I had a generic 360 controller laying around so I plugged it in and jumped back into the game and went down to 4 kings, that felt more appropriate challenge-wise. Took me a few tries and any damage took off about half my HP. Was more of what I was expecting going forward.

It does make me wonder if I've missed out on any other bosses and passed them up when I should have done them earlier, though. But I don't really want to look it up since it's more fun to just run around and discover stuff.

Sif wasn't easy for me. I couldn't seem to roll over his sword. So I cheesed him.... I'm not proud of it.

Overdoziz

Banned
The Catacombs and Anor Londo are easily my least favorite areas. Really not a big fan of the skeletons getting revived until you rush and kill the Necromancers. The rest of the game requires you to take your time and be patient and this area is the opposite which I don't like. Anor Londo is just straight-up annoying with Ghosts being able to go through walls. Doesn't help that they've placed the damned things all over the place.

Didn't find the areas too annoying in my first playthrough, but damn they're a pain in the ass on NG+ and NG++.

Chitown B

The Catacombs and Anor Londo are easily my least favorite areas. Really not a big fan of the skeletons getting revived until you rush and kill the Necromancers. The rest of the game requires you to take your time and be patient and this area is the opposite which I don't like. Anor Londo is just straight-up annoying with Ghosts being able to go through walls. Doesn't help that they've placed the damned things all over the place.

Didn't find the areas too annoying in my first playthrough, but damn they're a pain in the ass on NG+ and NG++.

Catacombs - divine weapon, done.

I think you mean New Londo Ruins (ghosts)

arghhh. stuck in the depths :(

I hate those cursing frogs. they just creep me out

The only thing in the Depths you need to worry about is the channeler, because it will help out the boss. You can skip
most of the Depths by dropping down the hole behind where the first butcher was, if you want to backtrack towards Lower Undead Burg a bit.

Depths/ Blighttown section just kind of sucks.

JustinBB7

I'm helping out a friend and am co-opping the game with her. How can I drop things for her? I've seen people giving other people things, is that only when invading or something? Want to give her some humanity so she can always summon me but every time I try to drop it I can't.

krakov

I'm helping out a friend and am co-opping the game with her. How can I drop things for her? I've seen people giving other people things, is that only when invading or something? Want to give her some humanity so she can always summon me but every time I try to drop it I can't.

It's probably because you have it equipped to a quick slot. Try to unequip it and you should be able to drop it.

On PC, is there a way to safely preserve my save for a reformat? I'm going to install Windows 8.1 on my PC. Do I just use GameSave Manager and remember my GFWL login credentials? Thanks!

Pretty sure the save is just in My Documents. The folder is called NBGI.

Right, so I'll get that, move it to the clean install, log into GFWL using my current account, and I should be set?

Anustart

So can those clam enemies break your legs or something? He knocked me down once, then just kept murdering me while I was on the ground trying to get up. Got hit before I could even try to roll or dodge? Just locked into a death.

So, something super annoying just happened.
Pretty sure I found Rhea and her cleric buddies. They were chilling out in that pit in Tomb of the Giants that you get kicked into. Problem is... I started crushing some of the loose bones down there, and accidentally killed her. I didn't even know she was there.

Really annoyed right now.

So, something super annoying just happened.
Pretty sure I found Rhea and her cleric buddies. They were chilling out in that pit in Tomb of the Giants that you get kicked into. Problem is... I started crushing some of the loose bones down there, and accidentally killed her. I didn't even know she was there.

Really annoyed right now.

Take it out on Patches.

ozhenson

So, I just unlocked my final achievement for this game, I dont normally go for all 1000, but for some reason games like this and the Witcher 2 forced me to do it.

I am sitting here with my girlfriend lying asleep on the couch next to me and am so much more excited by this than any grown man should be. I want to wake her to share in my joy but she would never truly understand.

First achievement unlocked october 28, 2011 - final achievement unlocked feb 21, 2014. Id say I got my money's worth out of this game.

spliced

I've been doing a bit of invading lately, it gives you a more complete picture of the variety of people that play the game then getting invaded does. One weird thing I've found is some of the least challenging people have these huge trophy collections in their profile. I ran into this one guy in Undead Parish that just ran away from me the whole time and seemed so scared I just ended up bowing and warping out. I then looked at his profile and he had 2 or 3 thousand trophies and double digit platinums.

This other time I ran into someone in the Depths that went to extreme lengths to hide from me, several minutes later when I finally found them and caught up to the person they didn't even attempt to fight back. I tried to give them a shot just to give em a scare and I accidently killed them. I felt bad after that one.

I'll do some straight up fighting but I like to be goofy too. I found a guy afk in the middle of a CC invisible bridge and knocked his health down to almost nothing and just jumped off, It makes me laugh thinking off what the person's reaction would have been when they came back. Another time I put on hollow armor and went on the rooftop area in UB with the firebomb throwing guys and joined in with them throwing firebombs at the player.

I learned that invaders can be burned by the bridge dragon and some people seem to do that on purpose to invaders since you warp in right in the middle of the dragon bridge and people will trigger him just as you appear. After having that happen a few times I was able to jump out of the way once, put on my pyro glove went down below and gave the player a taste of fire haha. That one felt good.

Some of the reactions you get are pretty neat both positive and negative. I ran into a group of 3 in Anor and this one guy gave me the well what is it just as I was Fire Storming and he proptly died as soon as the gesture ended. Another time in Duke's as I was coming towards the bonfire I see one of those weird bug things that show up every once in awhile on top of the bookshelf. I continue towards the bonfire where the the player is just standing there spaming shrugs at me so I poison them and back off a bit. they continue the shrugs for awhile then come after me, and just as the are wbout to reach me that bug thing attacked and killed them lol, I don't think the person even saw it there.

Later on in Duke's I warped in and searched for the player for several minutes and couldn't even spot them when the target destroyed message pops up. Then much to my amusement I got indicted. I guess they didn't like my preesence in their world.

There was a funny co-op moment for me too. I got summoned in Anor in the pre S&O bonfire and there was another summon there aswell. Immediately this other summon takes the lead so me and the host follow along. The other summon was just sort of your typical DS player nothing too much stood out, but the host seem to struggle probably more than anyone I've ever seen, just following us seemed to be somewhat challenging for them and me and the other summon spent most of the time just waiting for the host to catch up us. I honestly felt this might have been a little kid playing or something and couldn't really understand how they made it this far into the game.

So anyway as we're going along we get invaded and before encountering the invader the other summon gets killed by an enemy. Shortly after that we finish of the last enemies in the area and the invader shows up and kills me. After appearing at the bonfire I put down my summon sign again and fairly quickly I'm summoned again by the same host, the twist is that all the enemies are still dead so the host never died. We go fight the boss and nothing comes up about phantoms leaving the world. So I'm left bewildered wondering how the guy who could barely follow us was able to survive the invader.

ZalinKrow

I haven't posted on gaf in over a year, but I beat this game for the first time last night and felt it was worth coming back just to say how much I loved it. One of the best gaming experiences I've had, and it makes me really hyped for the next one.

I was gonna write more, but I can't really get across how much I liked it in this post. There's a lot I still don't know even after beating it. I didn't really interact with other players during my playthrough (stayed hollow because knowing I could be invaded intimidated me greatly haha) so maybe I really missed out? But even then I can still go back and do it, so I'm pretty damn pleased with this game.

Top Bottom