• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Overdoziz

Banned
I haven't posted on gaf in over a year, but I beat this game for the first time last night and felt it was worth coming back just to say how much I loved it. One of the best gaming experiences I've had, and it makes me really hyped for the next one.

I was gonna write more, but I can't really get across how much I liked it in this post. There's a lot I still don't know even after beating it. I didn't really interact with other players during my playthrough (stayed hollow because knowing I could be invaded intimidated me greatly haha) so maybe I really missed out? But even then I can still go back and do it, so I'm pretty damn pleased with this game.
aw ye
Do NG+ until DS2 comes.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Well, my attempt to finally finish this game before DS2 comes out has been going pretty well recently. Sif, Seath, the Four Kings, and the catacombs boss all succumbed to my sword over the passed 4 days.

I do feel like I'm a bit too strong for some sections of the game at this point. All enemies in New Londo, the archive, and the catacombs took between one and three hits to die. Of the bosses only Seath and the Four Kings were a bit of a pain, but I brute forced my way through them. Not really satisfying, but I didn't feel like learning the strategy for either of them. Sif and the catacombs boss didn't even hurt me. Not that I'm complaining! After Anor Londo I don't mind it if the bosses are pushovers and or too weak to hurt me much.

On to the Tomb of Giants now and then it's back to Demon Ruins, I think. Had a quick look around Demon Ruins earlier to beat up the
Taurus demons and Capra demon
you see lurking in the very beginning of the area. Felt good!
Capra
was the reason why I stopped playing this for almost a year.

After many attempts I'm now hooked on Dark Souls. I don't know what happened but it just "clicked".

Now up to Smough and Ornstein fight. Two failed attempts, was about to go in again with Solaire, got invaded and he cursed me so I was stuck with 50% health. Completely sucks that can be done in PvP.

After many attempts I'm now hooked on Dark Souls. I don't know what happened but it just "clicked".

Now up to Smough and Ornstein fight. Two failed attempts, was about to go in again with Solaire, got invaded and he cursed me so I was stuck with 50% health. Completely sucks that can be done in PvP.

You were hacked. That's not supposed to be possible.

It can't be done in PvP, so it must've been a hacked invader.
Ah. Well that sucks. I've fixed if now (the guy under the bell tower) but that was damn annoying. And I've enabled DSFix save backups just in case it happens again.

Is that hacking also possible on PS3 version? I'm playing PC mostly but have both.

Chitown B

I've been doing a bit of invading lately, it gives you a more complete picture of the variety of people that play the game then getting invaded does. One weird thing I've found is some of the least challenging people have these huge trophy collections in their profile. I ran into this one guy in Undead Parish that just ran away from me the whole time and seemed so scared I just ended up bowing and warping out. I then looked at his profile and he had 2 or 3 thousand trophies and double digit platinums.

I don't doubt it. Many people play games for achievements/trophies, and they wouldn't want to deal with invaders because it has nothing to do with trophies - they're just trying to get through ASAP.

Nerokis

It's very rare that I do this, but I find Dark Souls compelling enough that I've been looking for good YouTube content on the game. I stumbled upon one person I can easily see people finding annoying, yet I myself find him strangely charming and very informative. He's done a handful of boss break down videos, and I like how he presents them quite a bit.

One example is this (warning: big spoiler past the 11:55 mark) O&S video. I've beaten them twice now, yet the collection of little details and different angles still gave me a new perspective on them. And his Capra Demon video was a revelation.

I've also watched some EpicNameBro and VaatiVidya. Love their lore stuff so far.

Any recommendations?

ZenaxPure

I don't doubt it. Many people play games for achievements/trophies, and they wouldn't want to deal with invaders because it has nothing to do with trophies - they're just trying to get through ASAP.

I dunno, they might just not enjoy the PVP aspect. I can't say I am of a fan of it really either. If anything it actively gets in the way of the parts of the game I do enjoy. It kind of bums me out because the whole sign system and summoning phantoms (though I've never summoned real people, just NPCs) is really awesome but pretty much every time I go to do it (or kindle half the time) I get invaded. It's just boring.

Ketch

So after beating it yesterday, I have some final thoughts. Spoiler free wall of text incoming.

Just a couple things:
Atmosphere- absolutely best in show. I have real issues with "scary" games, but mostly it's because I'm constantly dreading the jump scare. But DS is not cheap about it. It earns every bit of its ominous hope crushing despair by making you creep (shield at the ready) all the way down down down to hell itself. That feeling when you're walking through a new unknown area, every step is battle against the darkness. Then when you finally crawl out, and you recognize a pathway back home, you can feel a weight being lifted. I've never felt that in any other game, I don't think I'll ever forget it.

The mechanics are really cleverly done. The ever increasing cost to level combined with the balance between stats and equipment, create this metered progression that you might not even notice. Like the frog who boiled to death because he doesn't notice the water getting hot. That being said, I ended up way too powerful by the end... Trivializing the last couple bosses and slightly cheapening the overall victory.

Finally, the story. I was constantly wondering what the hell was going on... And the little bit of information I was able to find was always intriging. After watching a bunch of lore videos on YouTube. It really makes me wish some of that stuff was more apparent in the game. I'm not trying to say they need to spell it all out, I actually like that it can serve as sort of a "collectible" for those willing to find it all, but I think hiding basically all of the story does a disservice to the game.

Well that's it for me and this game, can't wait for the sequel
to hit PC

Mistel

Banned
Random Stormtrooper and her ditzy questions moment, but the balder armor is like totally missing parts of it isn't? I mean like it's so old that all the parts of the armor have fallen apart / broken from how long it's been used.

Being invaded sucks when I'm playing especially because all of them have ludicrously better gear than you do. Someone had this spell thing that pushed me away from them and they chucked some magic stuff at me then I died.

Seance

Banned
Finally got to the bottom of blighttown

god the fps is bad

anyone have any tips for quelaag?

If you have great soul arrow or a bow then stunlock her into oblivion. It always amuses me. You have to keep striking her, hum, "torso". It's even possible with weapons like the Black Knight Halberd that have long range vertical strikes.

Mistel

Banned
If you have great soul arrow or a bow then stunlock her into oblivion. It always amuses me. You have to keep striking her, hum, "torso". It's even possible with weapons like the Black Knight Halberd that have long range vertical strikes.
So thrust at her bust?

anyone have any tips for quelaag?
Don't try to fight her from the back. You can't see her telegraphing what attacks are about to happen.
The thing that worked best for me was
keeping as close as I could (without getting sliced by her sword) until she got her spider to spew lava for a long time. Then, I would run in for three hits and get back. Rinse and repeat. Just be patient. It wasn't a short fight, but it was easy once you memorize what each animation leads into.

I continued marching onward into
Sen's Fortress. I managed to get through it pretty easily, aside from having those snakes be a sudden jump in difficulty. I managed to find lots of cool items and I freed Logan (didn't even know he was there). Saw the guy with the weird armor again, and I'm hoping he'll be able to poke around the fortress some since I stopped the rock firing his direction.

I got decimated by the explosive rocks when I got up to the roof... But! I managed to get around and kill the rock guy, and I even managed to take out the boss Iron Golem guy on my first try. I was certain his awful grab move would do me in, but I managed to work out his pattern without too much difficulty.

Taking first the first class flight to Anor Londo was cool! It wasn't so cool when the third giant knight guy killed me, leaving me to run back to Anor Londo's warp thing again. However, I found lots of cool items and wasted a humanity by trying to kindle a bonfire that didn't need kindling. Whoops! Either way, I've made it to a really nice looking area, finally, so time to see what horrible things want to kill me here!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Random Stormtrooper and her ditzy questions moment, but the balder armor is like totally missing parts of it isn't? I mean like it's so old that all the parts of the armor have fallen apart / broken from how long it's been used.

Being invaded sucks when I'm playing especially because all of them have ludicrously better gear than you do. Someone had this spell thing that pushed me away from them and they chucked some magic stuff at me then I died.

That's pretty much every invasion I've ever dealt with. I'm SL 110 and I think I've won less than a handful of encounters. I just run to the nearest bonfire and give them as much of a fight as I can.

ZenaxPure

Yeah, based on my personal experiences with being invaded the game doesn't really seem to try and match you on any sort of skill or overall play time level (or anything really). To get accustomed with the new controller I'm using on PC I rolled a new character yesterday and it's kind of ridiculous how much stuff you can get/do at the very start of the game. I imagine people that have been playing long enough can set up a strong character really fast and then just start invading people that are still relatively new to the game. At least that was my experience at the start of the game when some dude with a huge sword invaded and murdered me.

Seance

Banned
So thrust at her bust?

In a manner of speaking.
Kreygasm.png

Also Balder armor is the sexiest armor for female undead, minus the helmet of course.

Mistel

Banned
In a manner of speaking.
Kreygasm.png

Also Balder armor is the sexiest armor for female undead, minus the helmet of course.
I do like redheads, preferably not when they are attached to giant spiders and want to brutally murder you but oh well. I do like the Balder armor I've got at least 2 full sets now as I was farming for a balder shield, the brass set is darn cute as well.

Yeah, based on my personal experiences with being invaded the game doesn't really seem to try and match you on any sort of skill or overall play time level (or anything really). To get accustomed with the new controller I'm using on PC I rolled a new character yesterday and it's kind of ridiculous how much stuff you can get/do at the very start of the game. I imagine people that have been playing long enough can set up a strong character really fast and then just start invading people that are still relatively new to the game. At least that was my experience at the start of the game when some dude with a huge sword invaded and murdered me.

That's pretty much every invasion I've ever dealt with. I'm SL 110 and I think I've won less than a handful of encounters. I just run to the nearest bonfire and give them as much of a fight as I can.
Yep I've killed one out of about 14 encounters, I was first killed by a person in full havel's armor that I stood no chance against they killed me with a giant bit of obsidian that I've got no idea how that's fair. In the dark souls 2 review thread thing people seem to really like the invasion mechanic, I don't think that unless it matches you based on level and the equipment you have it's fair to everyone. Not providing easy kills to the person doing the invading...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I do like redheads, preferably not when they are attached to giant spiders and want to brutally murder you but oh well. I do like the Balder armor I've got at least 2 full sets now as I was farming for a balder shield, the brass set is darn cute as well.

Yep I've killed one out of about 14 encounters, I was first killed by a person in full havel's armor that I stood no chance against they killed me with a giant bit of obsidian that I've got no idea how that's fair. In the dark souls 2 review thread thing people seem to really like the invasion mechanic, I don't think that unless it matches you based on level and the equipment you have it's fair to everyone. Not providing easy kills to the person doing the invading...

Don't get me wrong, I love the invasion stuff. I think it's an amazing mechanic... I'm just not very good at it XD

You're right though. Hopefully DS2 will get rid of the loophole abuse.

ZenaxPure

I've already tried that in my 10+ attempts..

Im on the brink of quitting right now.

I have no humanity and only 5 estus.

She's really not that bad. Just walk backwards as she follows you and when the spider part goes to spew lava strafe to the side and get a few hits in. You don't really even need to dodge if you don't want to as generally walking backwards will make it so her melee attacks won't hit you.

It's more time consuming than anything.

I've already tried that in my 10+ attempts..

Im on the brink of quitting right now.

I have no humanity and only 5 estus.

The solution to no humanity is to go back to the sewers where all those rats live and do a couple runs just killing rats and returning to the bonfire (the one at the end of the tunnel with all those slimes on the roof). Rats have a decent drop rate for humanity and you could easily get the 2 you need to unhollow and kindle within a few minutes.

As for queelag she was the first boss that I almost quit on. The hard part is learning the variety of attacks and how she projects them. The main ones from memory are the big burst explosion, the spider spew lava attack, and 2 different types of lance/spear attack. What I do is walk in close to trigger an attack and if it's one of her lance/spear attacks then I shield up and try to roll into her to dodge it. If you dodge it you get a few good attacks and normally trigger the explosion or lava spew attack which you need to back off to avoid.

I'd really recommend getting yourself some humanity (check your inventory for it, you might have a twin humanity you could use). And if all else fails check out a video on youtube for it.

As for me, well I'm currently stuck at the crystal caves with their invisible platforms. I'm not really stuck cause everytime i go there i get a little further but each lesson is a fall to the death or being pushed off by a golemn. Gotta push past it but i keep getting distracted by FF14

Whats your Weapons and build breh

Drake Sword
Elite Knight Helm
Knight Armor +1
Black Leather Gloves +2
Wanderer Boots
Blue Tearstone Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

Stats:

vit 20
att 10
end 17
str 20
dex 17
res 12
int 10
fai 11

Queelag isn't actually hard to dodge, she just does a ton of damage and has a ton of health. I'm not sure why you would have no humanity but not have kindled the bonfire, though.

I came to blighttown with one humanity but I lost it when the darkspirit maneater stunlocked me -_-

oh and my hp is constantly being drained due to the poison lake I have to go through every time to reach her

Gorillaz

when it comes to cystal caves watch where the snow falls. If it falls and lands short then that's your path

Drake Sword
Elite Knight Helm
Knight Armor +1
Black Leather Gloves +2
Wanderer Boots
Blue Tearstone Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

Stats:

vit 20
att 10
end 17
str 20
dex 17
res 12
int 10
fai 11

I came to blighttown with one humanity but I lost it when the darkspirit maneater stunlocked me -_-
Lol drake sword

Find your self something else as a back up, like a claymore. If you need more humanity and want to practice the fight, put your summon sign by the swamp bonfire and coop it. Unless your doing this by yourself

You need to upgrade flask while your at it

when it comes to cystal caves watch where the snow falls. If it falls and lands short then that's your path

Lol drake sword

Find your self something else as a back up, like a claymore. If you need more humanity and want to practice the fight, put your summon sign by the swamp bonfire and coop it. Unless your doing this by yourself

I have a zweihander

and I can't because no XBL Gold

and no humanity

Mistel

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I love the invasion stuff. I think it's an amazing mechanic... I'm just not very good at it XD

You're right though. Hopefully DS2 will get rid of the loophole abuse.
I've not even tried to invade people yet, I'm not sure when it's best to start doing so. I can farm humanity from the depths and souls like everywhere. I'm thinking of joining the princess guard so I can help people, can you still invade if so?

Loopholes aren't fun for anyone, not that I mind the fast travel to bonfires in DS2, not that's a loophole.

I need to trek through darkroot for stone armor I can't find it, unless I've walked passed it in my massive circles.

mannerbot

Lol drake sword

There's nothing wrong with his equipment, it's 100% poor play. Stay out of the lava, back out when the AOE comes, dodge the heavily telegraphed swings (or use the blind spot if that's your thing). Quelaag, like most of the game, is difficult only when you refuse to learn from your mistakes.

ZenaxPure

There's nothing wrong with his equipment, it's 100% poor play. Stay out of the lava, back out when the AOE comes, dodge the heavily telegraphed swings (or use the blind spot if that's your thing). Quelaag, like most of the game, is difficult only when you refuse to learn from your mistakes.

Pretty much, you just have to learn from your mistakes. I got her on my second or third try (can't remember exactly) and one of those deaths was from my dying PS3 controller (cause nothing says fun like trying to roll backwards only to do a heavy attack instead).

If you need to start with baby steps just do this: Don't even try to attack the boss. Just keep avoiding her and watching her attacks and look for spots that give you the best opportunity to attack. That is how you should approach every boss. As a first time player right now myself I don't even bother attacking bosses until I feel like I've seen what sort of attacks they can do.

Gorillaz

I have a zweihander

and I can't because no XBL Gold

and no humanity
Lol

Yea that might be it then. If you sit back and watch for each attack before charging in, she should be kind of easy. Lava is really the only problem. Just study each move before you go in

KLonso

Finally beat Taurus Demon. I eventually figured out that I would be better off unequipping my Knight Armor so that I could run faster and dodge faster, even if it meant taking a bit more damage.
I pretty much just cheesed through the entire fight, running back and forward on the stage so that I could climb up the ladder and jump down on his head.

Is there any reason for me to not spend off my souls from the boss fight on levels right away? I hate walking around with souls, because I'm really good at dying.

Also experience my first invasion today. It was kind of quick and painless, and I only had 400 souls, so it wasn't the biggest deal to me.

Finally beat Taurus Demon. I eventually figured out that I would be better off unequipping my Knight Armor so that I could run faster and dodge faster, even if it meant taking a bit more damage.
I pretty much just cheesed through the entire fight, running back and forward on the stage so that I could climb up the ladder and jump down on his head.

Is there any reason for me to not spend off my souls from the boss fight on levels right away? I hate walking around with souls, because I'm really good at dying.

Also experience my first invasion today. It was kind of quick and painless, and I only had 400 souls, so it wasn't the biggest deal to me.

If you are comfortable with your level and have access to a blacksmith, you can always upgrade your gear. Or if you use bows, you can always buy arrows. Or consumable items like moss, firebombs, etc.

mannerbot

Spending your souls on leveling is a good idea right now. Later, you should prioritize upgrading your weapon before leveling. And yeah, having equipment on that totals >50% of your max equip load results in fat roll and is very undesirable; under 50% is mid roll, and under 25% is fast roll. The faster rolls also have longer invincibility in addition to their quicker recovery.

Chitown B

just lost 10K souls in Anor Londo to a stupid silver knight. Tried to run back out a door and got caught on it, then ran outside and he speared me through the wall. That's just bad game design, plain and simple. I hope DS2 removes fucking clipping through walls. It's embarrassing programming.

Top Bottom