• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Heavy soul arrows or spears might help you there kill Lautrec.

I causally ran by and they did nothing to me. They don't follow you and they are too slow to catch you

Got the best ad ever in this thread:
betteradbase4.png

Yeah did you know it shows up ads according to your searchs right?

anybody have any tips for Lautrec as a sorcerer?

I didn't have any trouble with him at all in my last playthrough, but then I had things like real armor and spears.

What kind of spells do you have? Default soul arrow is your best friend to your entire play also try to kill the melee guy, the cleric and then laurec in that order, you can use the ladders to get an advantage

Wow at the Oolacile stuff. I did ng+ after missing all the "prepare to die" edition content.

:(

I felt bad enough having to kill Sif and now it turns out you guys were bros in the past.

HE SNIFFS YOU and remembers
:(((((((

anybody have any tips for Lautrec as a sorcerer?

I didn't have any trouble with him at all in my last playthrough, but then I had things like real armor and spears.
A couple of soul spears to the face should do it. Lead them up the stairs to bottleneck them and stop them from surrounding you.

If you're ok at parrying you have enough time to parry then fire off a spell.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
After 352+ hours of Dark Souls, I have reached the point of absolution...a milestone of satisfaction.

Killing Havel the Rock in one single attack (by jabbing him in the back), when summoned as a white phantom into another players game. It required me to raise my character level from 18 to 20 to get the damage this high, but it was worth it.

Had to
level up from 18 to 20, because I started off as a Warrior to wield a Black Knight Halberd (currently at +4) with the bare minimum stats and had no attunement slot. It was a choice between Power Within or a Red Tearstone Ring and I chose Power Within as it didn't require me to sustain low health nor sacrifice a ring slot which was already taken up by a Hornet's Ring and a Ring of Favor and Protection.

And I cannot get
Dragon Torso Stone
for more damage, as
farming the Drakes
turned out to be a total failure without the
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring

Edit
I was invaded by a Slvl 1 Darkwraiths in Sens Fortress (what the...), surprising that there are such low level invaders in that area. Whats even more surprising was that I was a
Darkwraith myself
, may be Kaathe doesn't like me and his subconscious is like skynet.

kionedrik

Got the best ad ever in this thread:
betteradbase4.png

How does the last one even work???

Wow at the Oolacile stuff. I did ng+ after missing all the "prepare to die" edition content.

:(

I felt bad enough having to kill Sif and now it turns out you guys were bros in the past.

HE SNIFFS YOU and remembers
:(((((((

I feel your pain. After seeing that cutscene I decided only to fight Sif in NG (because you need the ring) and leave him alone on NG+'s. Damn his honor to defend that grave at all costs...

Jamesways

Used to be a Skyrim addict, tried this game once before and put it down, now I'm so thrilled I stuck with it the second time. Probably one of my all time favorite games now.

Having a tough time on O&S though, keep getting invaded right when I'm close to the boss fog and hacked down. That's just cruel.

Super O is pretty tough, probably going to take several tries and I'll probably run out of humanity to summon help.

You get humanity by getting summoned and helping beat them, yes?

E92 M3

Used to be a Skyrim addict, tried this game once before and put it down, now I'm so thrilled I stuck with it the second time. Probably one of my all time favorite games now.

Having a tough time on O&S though, keep getting invaded right when I'm close to the boss fog and hacked down. That's just cruel.

Super O is pretty tough, probably going to take several tries and I'll probably run out of humanity to summon help.

You get humanity by getting summoned and helping beat them, yes?

The Souls games are simply fantastic! They are one of the few bastions of gaming left in this AAA landscape where the gameplay is king. FROM definitely give you a ton more than 60 dollars worth of game. Hell, I am like 60 hours in DaSII and still not finished with my first run. And then NG+, trying new builds, covenants -- great franchise.

So, after spending nearly 3 hours yesterday dealing with GFWL, fixing the horrible fps/texture issues, fixing issues that came with the fixes I installed, then finally having to get it to recognize my controller I finally got started with DS. One thing I'm curious about, will I get invaded? The game's old(ish), the PC port is nearly unplayable, what are my chances?

Overdoziz

Banned
So, after spending nearly 3 hours yesterday dealing with GFWL, fixing the horrible fps/texture issues, fixing issues that came with the fixes I installed, then finally having to get it to recognize my controller I finally got started with DS. One thing I'm curious about, will I get invaded? The game's old(ish), the PC port is nearly unplayable, what are my chances?
Are you using DSfix?

KiKaL

When should I be using my Humanity? I am not to far into the game, just rang the first bell and so far just use them to kindle my fires. I never want to use them since I die so often. Is the only benefit of being unhollowed to summon and invade?

When should I be using my Humanity? I am not to far into the game, just rang the first bell and so far just use them to kindle my fires. I never want to use them since I die so often. Is the only benefit of being unhollowed to summon and invade?
That's the bigges thing yes, online play. Whether you are hollow or human, humanity also effects item discovery and some resistances - the more you have in the counter on the top left, the better (item discovery maxes out at 10). A couple of weapons also scale with humanity and a couple of covenants use it for ranking them up.

There are NPC invasions with unique loot drops and 'questlines' so it's worth going human in each area to get those (or just look up the specific areas they occur in if you're not playing blind).

onionfrog

Just beat the iron golem last night and I'm about to head to Anor Londo. I'm finally getting close to where I was at in the game before my PS3 died and took my saves with it!

The game looks much nicer on PC with DSfix.

Not looking forward to that infamous spot in Anor Londo with the two knight archers or the Ornstein and Smough fight...

Mistel

Banned
Just beat the iron golem last night.
tumblr_myyjwc5ruB1toqeiuo2_1280.jpg

Tarkus can actually solo the Golem by himself in new game plus with that greatsword of his. And the greatsword is the only ultra greatsword with a move set like the claymore so it is worth using. I'm going to upgrade mine as I forgot to last time...

kionedrik

The PC community is still very active (no DS2 yet helps) and you will get invaded. On the plus side, there will also be no shortage of summonable help if you get stuck in a boss.

I get 60 in Blighttown with an HD 7850 and i5 4670.

Sweet! That means my machine should be able to pull 60 to!

That reminds me, I need to get a 120hz monitor.

The PC community is still very active (no DS2 yet helps) and you will get invaded. On the plus side, there will also be no shortage of summonable help if you get stuck in a boss.

Nice! I was honestly really disappointed that I might not have someone way better than me show up and beat my face in. That's something that I've always though was kinda integral to the Dark Souls experience.

Chitown B

After 352+ hours of Dark Souls, I have reached the point of absolution...a milestone of satisfaction.

Killing Havel the Rock in one single attack (by jabbing him in the back), when summoned as a white phantom into another players game. It required me to raise my character level from 18 to 20 to get the damage this high, but it was worth it.

LOL. Oh WOW, 20!

Chitown B

Tarkus can actually solo the Golem by himself in new game plus with that greatsword of his. And the greatsword is the only ultra greatsword with a move set like the claymore so it is worth using. I'm going to upgrade mine as I forgot to last time...

Iron Golem was cake in NG and NG+, alone.

kionedrik

Nice! I was honestly really disappointed that I might not have someone way better than me show up and beat my face in. That's something that I've always though was kinda integral to the Dark Souls experience.

I love the online aspect of the game, PvP and Co-op, even though I suck at it... I mostly blame GFWL :)

You can have that experience very easily. Get to the undead burg bonfire (the 1st one past firelink), reverse hollow and enjoy having your skull bashed in by SL1 with late game maxed gear.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
beat Anor Londo, decided to go a couple other places before starting Duke's Archives

You know, I just don't think playing as a sorceror is fun. Compared to a melee class, i mean.

I love the online aspect of the game, PvP and Co-op, even though I suck at it... I mostly blame GFWL :)

You can have that experience very easily. Get to the undead burg bonfire (the 1st one past firelink), reverse hollow and enjoy having your skull bashed in by SL1 with late game maxed gear.

I recently reversed hollow in the blacksmith's place in the parish. I'm honestly hoping for a beating to come very soon.

beat Anor Londo, decided to go a couple other places before starting Duke's Archives

You know, I just don't think playing as a sorceror is fun. Compared to a melee class, i mean.

You have to go duke if you want the final spells.

Try a melee class after the sorcerer, you get to the point of what savage would get this close to kill an enemy.

onionfrog

Iron Golem was cake in NG and NG+, alone.
Yeah it took me a few tries. I got him down to 20% of his health twice, but managed to get knocked off the platform to my death both times.

Easy as hell aside from that.
tumblr_myyjwc5ruB1toqeiuo2_1280.jpg

I didn't even know there was an NPC you could summon for that fight. I tend to like fighting Bosses solo.

Here's my equipment right now:
-Elite Knight Helm +6
-Black Leather Armor +6
-Tattered Cloth Manchette +6
-Heavy Boots +6

Left Hand:
-Heater Shield +10
-Longbow +10

Right Hand:
-Balder Side Sword +10
-Lightning Spear(Just until I can get to the giant blacksmith and upgrade my Balder Side Sword further)

Then try a ranged character after that, you get to the point of "who would get so close or use such limited ammunition to kill an enemy?'
I'm going to try a pure Melee character after I've finished the game with my current character. That way I can see what it's like to actually fight the gaping dragon up close instead of running away and pelting him with arrows.

You have to go duke if you want the final spells.

Try a melee class after the sorcerer, you get to the point of what savage would get this close to kill an enemy.

Then try a ranged character after that, you get to the point of "who would get so close or use such limited ammunition to kill an enemy?'

Spell ammo... I managed to get the two bells with my starter 20 soul arrows.....oh god why.

No catalyst in sight except for the flood gate keeper melee stats, such stupid decision to put so few catalyst and half of them are not for sorcerers also no upgrade of any kind.

Mistel

Banned
I'm going to try a pure Melee character after I've finished the game with my current character. That way I can see what it's like to actually fight the gaping dragon up close instead of running away and pelting him with arrows.
I had elite knight mixed with steel armor. Maybe stone armor as I got havel's ring really early so I could wear heavier stuff. I just two handed a claymore the whole way and never looked back really as I got a grass crest shield to help me on my back.

The gaping dragon is easier than the iron golem I think it just stands there and takes it as you thrust at it. Got a death wish probably.

Levyne

Banned
I always just made the gaping dragon charge, cut his backside, and rinse repeat.

I'm not actually sure what it's like to face him from the front.

Chitown B

damn.

this is what I think is stupid about weapons like that - "Consumes 50 durability points per use."

So, after 8 hits it's broken.

Top Bottom