• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

rugioh

Banned
At Four Kings, is there anything you can do about the projectile that follows you forever? Tried dodging it, force repelling it, blocking it, it still hits me and it does a crapton

Props! Did you do the DLC area as well?

I've beaten DS a few times but haven't finished off 100% of the DLC, debating a final run before DS2.

Thanks! Nah, didn't feel the need. I barely figured out the plot playing through anyway, had to do a bunch of reading afterwards. DLC was just added content, and I was pumped to get into DSII, which is great so far.

At Four Kings, is there anything you can do about the projectile that follows you forever? Tried dodging it, force repelling it, blocking it, it still hits me and it does a crapton

I may be mistaken, but I just got right up close and it was never launched at me. If that's an option for you, I'd consider it.

Mistel

Banned
I'm sitting in the main hall of anor londo outside Ornstein and Smough's fog. I suppose no one want's to summon me I've been here about half hour now...

rugioh

Banned
I may be mistaken, but I just got right up close and it was never launched at me. If that's an option for you, I'd consider it.

Ah I see. My issue is that as I'm finishing off one guy the other guy that spawned starts firing off the missle. Maybe that means I'm not killing them fast enough

I'm sitting in the main hall of anor londo outside Ornstein and Smough's fog. I suppose no one want's to summon me I've been here about half hour now...

Put it on the castle bonfire ?

Wait till it close to you then roll to your right or left and go forward.

kionedrik

Yeah I can understand if its in an area with a covenant associated with it, but if im in the crystalline area and you pop up nearby, i'm going to assume the worse.

Especially if you purposefully wake up one of those...flying things.

You lost me there mate... By crystaline area I assume the Crystal Cave. Are the flying things the moonlight butterflies? They are friendly, invaders can't aggro them and only the last one can be aggro'ed by getting nearby.

The cathedral bonfire is the best place to put your sign. At least on PC it takes me 2-5min to be summoned.

The DLC has some of the best bosses in the game.

Correction, the DLC has THE best boss fights. I just love the fact that all the bosses have special mechanics or gimmicks and it really shows how great the BoC fight could have been.

Chitown B

I could blast through both bells and Sen's and come help you if you desire it so? It will probably take no time at all to catch up now I know where I'm going. I'll just go to blight town first then use the valley of the drakes to get to dark root and go the back way into the parish and I can ring both that way. And be right outside Sens too.

I'll be around later tonight if you're going to be on. Just PM me here if you know what your plan is. Thanks!!

It does disappear eventually. If you don't have a high magic defense shield (Crest Shield), you can also use a Dark Hand which also blocks high % of magic and is super light. Have it in the second slot of left hand and when you see a magic attack switch and block with it.

Mistel

Banned
I'll be around later tonight if you're going to be on. Just PM me here if you know what your plan is. Thanks!!
Well I got to anor londo in about 2 hours and sat around waiting to be summoned. (which never happened) Then I soloed super Smough so I'm pretty much fine.

Well later is an issue it's nearly midnight here... Maybe some other time?

Chitown B

Well I got to anor londo in about 2 hours and sat around waiting to be summoned. (which never happened) Then I soloed super Smough so I'm pretty much fine.

Well later is an issue it's nearly midnight here... Maybe some other time?

ah sorry, we must be in different countries. I'm only on usually from 10P-2A Central US Time. Thanks anyway though.

I am getting destroyed by Nito and his bloody skeletons in NG+. My Devine weapon (shotel +5) is just useless. Try using either my Great Scythe and finish them off with divine but by that time Nito is on me. And his aoe attack seems to be way more powerful this time.

I guess I'll do a suicide run for the large divine ember to get to +10 and try again.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am getting destroyed by Nito and his bloody skeletons in NG+. My Devine weapon (shotel +5) is just useless. Try using either my Great Scythe and finish them off with divine but by that time Nito is on me. And his aoe attack seems to be way more powerful this time.

I guess I'll do a suicide run for the large divine ember to get to +10 and try again.

You aren't aggroing the large skeletons are you?

I gave up and go directly against him when he starts casting his AOE run away and gives you time to kill him.

Mistel

Banned
Am I the only the one to have initially disliked this game but learned to love it with time? I eventually found my groove and after boosting ADP considerably, the movement became less clunky and laggy. It's unfortunate that we have to boost a stat for that, but it is what is. The environments don't feel as connected, but it's okay. I don't mind as much I thought I would. They made some interesting changes to this game that I surprisingly enjoyed. All in all, I still have a lot to do and already spent about 30 hours.

Based on how I'm seeing things now, though, upgrading material is a lot more scarce.
Are you talking about the sequel? Unless I'm miss reading your post.

Edit: I thought so...

rugioh

Banned
Is there a preferred order of operations after you place the lord vessel and go through new londo? I think there's 3 areas I have to clear before the final boss.. what order do people do the last couple areas typically? I'm around SL61 or so I think.

kionedrik

Is there a preferred order of operations after you place the lord vessel and go through new londo? I think there's 3 areas I have to clear before the final boss.. what order do people do the last couple areas typically? I'm around SL61 or so I think.

I like to have a light source before going into TotG, either the spell or the head bug from Lost Izalith, so I do it first or last depending on it. Dificulty wise, I think Archives+Cave is more difficult than Lost Izalith, but the bonfire placement of the last and the final boss makes it more annoying. Overall I think they are decently balanced so you can do them in any order really.

JustinBB7

I like going to new londo first to get the +15 ember, and then lost izaleth for the light source, then go down the tombs and dukes last.

Most effective way for gear I think, unless you wanna kindle hard.

Randam

Kinda complained about this in the DS2 thread, but did I miss the Souls meeting where all invaders are now nice guys who only want to pvp someone "honorably" or give people items?

What happened to invaders actually being...you know...invaders?

Also had no idea it was bad sportsmanship to indict someone.

EDIT: And then I see steam forum people complaining about invaders actually acting like bad guys and not bowing or gesturing first. What happened to how things were in Demon's Souls, kill or be kill and all that?

i always acted bad, when I invaded someone.

and people should indict.
indicting boosts pvp.

Kinda complained about this in the DS2 thread, but did I miss the Souls meeting where all invaders are now nice guys who only want to pvp someone "honorably" or give people items?

What happened to invaders actually being...you know...invaders?

Also had no idea it was bad sportsmanship to indict someone.

EDIT: And then I see steam forum people complaining about invaders actually acting like bad guys and not bowing or gesturing first. What happened to how things were in Demon's Souls, kill or be kill and all that?

I see nice invaders in Demon too.

And I saw assholes in Dark.

Lost Izalith
Dukes
Catacombs
New Londo

any gaffer around lvl 120 want to help me out with my NG+ playthrough on PS3? i would REALLY appreciate it, as i find the last levels i still need to clear a bit difficult on my own, because i haven't played in a loooong time (Tomb of the Giants was.. interesting).

i still haven't received my copy of DS2 so i'm trying to finish things in DS1.. i would also love it if anyone could help me out with the Knight's Honor trophy (missing a few weapons) and some other stuff. pretty please :) i'll gladly also help if anyone wants to summon me!

I died brutally first time with him. Second time, I dropped down, and semi-kited him back to the entrance where you fall down to. Not one skeleton followed, and I just cut him down from behind with my Black Knight Sword like nothing. It was a fifteen second battle.

I did Tomb of Giants last. Any reason why you'd do New Londo last?

Four Kings may become a hard battle if you dont kill them fast because they will start spawning and swarm you also FK have different mechanics for unprepared range and melee classes unless you are overpowered.

EDIT: Unlike Nito who is squishy as hell but relies on his skeletons dudes and his special to be a threat, Oh god how I hate him in N+ and his spamming special dagger.

EDIT2 : Thats my opnion btw.

Randam

i always do new londo first.

even long before I have the lord vessel.

4 kings as soon as I have a +15 weapon and some buffs(spell or resin).

after that dukes and then ToG.

LI always last.

block it with the crest shield.

If you're a sorcerer, Dukes is definately worth doing first. I'd say the same re: Clerics and TotG, but it's worth going down there for miracle purposes asap, way earlier than placing the Lord Vessel. If you need a light source, do Izalith before TotG. New Londo, I do early too for the ember, although I'll leave 4 Kings for when I'm level appropriate for co-op.

rugioh

Banned
If you're a sorcerer, Dukes is definately worth doing first. I'd say the same re: Clerics and TotG, but it's worth going down there for miracle purposes asap, way earlier than placing the Lord Vessel. If you need a light source, do Izalith before TotG. New Londo, I do early too for the ember, although I'll leave 4 Kings for when I'm level appropriate for co-op.

I take it TotG is an extension off of catacombs? I don't have a light source yet so I figure I'll do Izalith, then Catacombs then Dukes Archives. Just spent the day farming up +15 weapons and getting some arrows and resins.

Yeah, Dukes archives is a must for mages since there are the most powerfull spells for the remaining bosses aka crystal soulmass and dragon breath.

Mistel

Banned
I take it TotG is an extension off of catacombs? I don't have a light source yet so I figure I'll do Izalith, then Catacombs then Dukes Archives. Just spent the day farming up +15 weapons and getting some arrows and resins.
Tomb of the giants is accessed from the catacombs yes. I believe there's a shortcut to somewhere after pinwheel. You could use cast light or the skull lantern as a light source.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Four Kings may become a hard battle if you dont kill them fast because they will start spawning and swarm you also FK have different mechanics for unprepared range and melee classes unless you are overpowered..

Four Kings is definitely a very hard fight, it warrants either better equipment or getting the overpowering
pyromancy spells

Took me a few tries with my Slvl18 character and it required me optimize my gear every time before the fight, trying to get one step closer to defeating
them
. Didn't have access to better upgrades, since I had only progressed upto the point killing
Taurus Demon, Gargoyles, Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon and Sif

NinjaBoiX

Gwyn is pretty tough like.

I hate parrying (because I'm not very good at it and if you miss you're basically dead), so I'm just dodging and getting in a few hits where I can.

But he's so hard to read. He seems to just swing his sword about fairly randomly, kicking you occasionally. Grrrr!!

Mistel

Banned
Dark Souls |OT6| Suck this great sword and my double D's?
I wasted all that demon titanite on it I should have upgraded the gravelord great sword (even though that's got double E's it's still better) or made a golem axe to match the armor I've got.

But I suppose it's better then needing 20 levels in faith before I can use sunlight spear.

Gwyn is pretty tough like.

I hate parrying (because I'm not very good at it and if you miss you're basically dead), so I'm just dodging and getting in a few hits where I can.

But he's so hard to read. He seems to just swing his sword about fairly randomly, kicking you occasionally. Grrrr!!

I did plenty of parry practice on the silver knights in Anor Londo. Helped a LOT with Gwyn.
And beware the exploding hand grab...if you're late forecasting it he can still grab you mid roll.

Mistel

Banned
I fail to see the problem with double D's :)
It has a cool moveset, so it's an enjoyable weapon imo.
I like like B's or C's they are the best but if I find A's I don't mind at all. The moveset is kinda meh I think I like something that has some thrusting.

rugioh

Banned
I like like B's or C's they are the best but if I find A's I don't mind at all. The moveset is kinda meh I think I like something that has some thrusting.

You could grab a Balder Side Sword or Estoc... I'm digging those movesets to compliment my claymore/zweihander for big damage scenarios.

ISOM

Man I was in the depths and I summoned someone so obviously I'm thinking ok this should help a little. But man we then preceded to get invaded by another player and he kicks our asses.

Top Bottom