• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Gwyn is pretty tough like.

I hate parrying (because I'm not very good at it and if you miss you're basically dead), so I'm just dodging and getting in a few hits where I can.

But he's so hard to read. He seems to just swing his sword about fairly randomly, kicking you occasionally. Grrrr!!
People like to use his 3 hit combo to get a reliable parry - block the first hit, parry the second. Heal when he goes for a grab, kick or you can get behind a pillar.

On a magic build he is a joke, 4 or 5 homing crystal soul mass and it's over.

Jito

Banned
So I've picked up playing this again recently on PC and I'm having a lot of trouble finding summon signs or just signs working when I do find them, I get a lot of summoning failed. Spent a good few hours in Anor Londo waiting for summon signs for O&S. The weird thing is people have no problem invading or summoning me so I don't think it's my firewall ports.

Also just got to the end of Royal Woods in the DLC and trying to fight Artorias, are there just no more players on PC in the DLC areas as I'm not seeing any messages, bloodstains, ghosts or summon signs. Really enjoying the DLC so far though, that first boss fight with the Chimera was a ball buster at first but I nailed him eventually.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks for the help regarding Gwyn guys, I'm going to have another bash at it tonight.

The thing is, I can dodge his attacks just fine, and I know the timing of a parry is exactly the same, but it just feels wrong!

Also, lol at me grinding for red titanite in the kiln, I've tried to kill him so many times I now have like 20+.

Edit: how do I summon Solaire? I've never summoned in this game (I've played the whole thing offline), and I'd like the option to wuss it out!

i'll try again because i'm desperate lol, anyone on PS3 around lvl 120 wanna help me beat a couple levels in NG+? i can help too, love to co-op.

Mistel

Banned
Edit: how do I summon Solaire? I've never summoned in this game (I've played the whole thing offline), and I'd like the option to wuss it out!
If you saved him you just need to be human and his summon sign is at the top of the spiral stairs in the kiln. You walk up to it and you can summon him.

NinjaBoiX

If you saved him you just need to be human and his summon sign is at the top of the spiral stairs in the kiln. You walk up to it and you can summon him.
Hmm, I talked to him near the start at the far end of that bridge, but I can't remember the last time I saw him.

What do you mean by "save him"? Could I do it now?

Edit: and what am I looking for to summon him? I've never done it, I have no clue!

Mistel

Banned
Hmm, I talked to him near the start at the far end of that bridge, but I can't remember the last time I saw him.

What do you mean by "save him"? Could I do it now?

Edit: and what am I looking for to summon him? I've never done it, I have no clue!
You can just go to all of the points in his story and he will be there if you have already killed the sunlight maggot then you've save him already.

A summon sign is like a squiggle on the ground you know it when you see it summon Solaire for help and go kill Gwyn.

NinjaBoiX

Sweet. I'll just watch a YouTube video for his quest line I guess.

I have no idea what the sunlight maggot is, so I guess I haven't killed it!

kionedrik

So I've picked up playing this again recently on PC and I'm having a lot of trouble finding summon signs or just signs working when I do find them, I get a lot of summoning failed. Spent a good few hours in Anor Londo waiting for summon signs for O&S. The weird thing is people have no problem invading or summoning me so I don't think it's my firewall ports.

Also just got to the end of Royal Woods in the DLC and trying to fight Artorias, are there just no more players on PC in the DLC areas as I'm not seeing any messages, bloodstains, ghosts or summon signs. Really enjoying the DLC so far though, that first boss fight with the Chimera was a ball buster at first but I nailed him eventually.

I'm a PC player and the community is still pretty active. I have no problems invading, summoning or getting summoned so I can't be of any real help on that issue.

The best place to summon in AL is the bonfire room in the cathedral. There's usually lots of signs there. I just noticed you said you got to the DLC, which means you beat O&S. By doing that you no longer see signs in AL.

I find it odd that you say you have no online interactions in Oolacile as that is the most common place for PvP. Are you sure you're online in GFWL?

NinjaBoiX

I've just watched a video on how to save Solaire.

Yeah, no. It looks like a right chore to do out of sequence.

I'll just plug away I think!

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, no.
upsetsolaire4el20.png

He would have helped you...

Jito

Banned
I'm a PC player and the community is still pretty active. I have no problems invading, summoning or getting summoned so I can't be of any real help on that issue.

The best place to summon in AL is the bonfire room in the cathedral. There's usually lots of signs there. I just noticed you said you got to the DLC, which means you beat O&S. By doing that you no longer see signs in AL.

I find it odd that you say you have no online interactions in Oolacile as that is the most common place for PvP. Are you sure you're online in GFWL?

Right I was trying to summon on the steps outside and right out front the boss gate, I got one dude to help me finally but it just took so many failed summoning attemps. Yeh I'm done with Anor Londo now and in the DLC area and not seeing any online notifications at all, might be because GFWL was being sketchy today and dropping out. I'll try again later and see if there is anyone online as I don't think I'll be beating Artorias alone!

Kaleinc

Banned
The thing is, I can dodge his attacks just fine, and I know the timing of a parry is exactly the same, but it just feels wrong!
I don't think the timing is the same, it even varies depending on the shield.
Btw can anyone consistently parry Gwyn's ultrafast swing?

NinjaBoiX

I still didn't manage to kill Gwyn. He just mixes his attacks up so much, I don't feel like I can read any of his tells. And I'm always on edge feeling like I really need to be parrying even though I hate playing like that.

Man, Artorias and Manus weren't even that hard to me and they're meant to be the hardest bosses in the game. But this guy is doing my nut...

Chitown B

get close - forces him to start his swinging combo. Block, parry, stab. Wear the Hornet Ring - gives extra riposte damage.

But watch out for his left hand raising - that's his grab. Back off!

NinjaBoiX

get close - forces him to start his swinging combo. Block, parry, stab. Wear the Hornet Ring - gives extra riposte damage.

But watch out for his left hand raising - that's his grab. Back off!
Yeah thanks man. I've got the method down, I just need to replicate it without dying.
You need something a bit more big and girthy like a claymore as you've focused on dex so you should be fine with the stat scaling just make it to +15 normal or +5 crystal and he will die easy.
I'm doing plenty of damage, nigh on 1000 with each riposte. I don't need a different weapon. Why would I choose something other than my godly Uchigatana +15 anyway?

Mistel

Banned
I'm doing plenty of damage, nigh on 1000 with each riposte. I don't need a different weapon. Why would I choose something other than my godly Uchigatana +15 anyway?
You're doing parry and riposte?

Well then I must have done Gwyn a really weird way I just literally treated him like a monster hunter battle and let Solaire be bait as I murdered him.

NinjaBoiX

I can't summon Solaire. Or rather, I'm unwilling to do the horrible amount of fucking about it will take to be able to summon him. You need to give the daughter of chaos 30 humanity for a start.

Fuck that shit.

I'll kill him man, it just wasn't my night.

Overdoziz

Banned
Time for NG+5. I honestly feel like Gwyn is the hardest boss in the base game. Yes, you can get him relatively easy if you parry, but the risk of trying to parry is high compared to what you gotta do to beat other bosses. In my past two NG+ runs I've pretty much beaten every boss in one go, but Gwyn still takes me 10+ tries. It's kinda hard to train yourself to time the parry correctly if you keep dying because you failed to do so.

Anyway, hopefully I can beat NG+6 by the time DS2 comes for PC.

The most difficult fight in the game isn't a boss; it's the damn titanite demon in Anor Londo. It took me at least 20 tries to beat him on my first run, and after 10 tries on NG+ I haven't beaten him yet. He hits like a truck and his swing takes up 40% of the room. Plus he has a ton of HP. Titanite demons are already difficult, but in that confined space it's ridiculous.

rugioh

Banned
I can see why people say Bed of Chaos sucks, that was a pretty lame boss haha. Well I beat it, off to the Catacombs then Dukes Archives I think... two more souls to grab.

kionedrik

The most difficult fight in the game isn't a boss; it's the damn titanite demon in Anor Londo. It took me at least 20 tries to beat him on my first run, and after 10 tries on NG+ I haven't beaten him yet. He hits like a truck and his swing takes up 40% of the room. Plus he has a ton of HP. Titanite demons are already difficult, but in that confined space it's ridiculous.

I disagree. There are titanite demons that have more hp, hit harder and are located in weirder/more dificult locations than that one. The two on the second basement room in Sens and the one in Lost Izalith come to mind.

Ninja, if you don't want to parry Gwyn treat him like Artorias. Let him rush you or start a combo then roll to the side and get 1hit (with Artorias you can get 2). Takes a lot of time but he will go down eventually.

NinjaBoiX

The sunlight maggot that Solaire's story climaxes with when he reaches fulfilment. You just use poison mist on the door and kill it.
Ah, OK.

But nah, it's all the other stuff I can't be bothered with. And I'm certainly not spending 30 humanity points on an easier final boss (I don't have the points anyway!)

I'll kill him man, I've had him down to less than half his health. It's not that difficult, I just keep flapping.

Jito

Banned
Managed to beat Artorias with the help of a summon then wandered down into invasion central. Had an epic spear duel but alas I was not prepared enough unlike the invader. Also what's with the multiplayer bonfires, do people still use them or just invade instead? I waited a few minutes on a trapdoor but no one connected with me.

Chitown B

Ah, OK.

But nah, it's all the other stuff I can't be bothered with. And I'm certainly not spending 30 humanity points on an easier final boss (I don't have the points anyway!)

I'll kill him man, I've had him down to less than half his health. It's not that difficult, I just keep flapping.

No, we're saying you DON'T need 30 humanity to do it, if you do the poison mist thing.

kionedrik

Managed to beat Artorias with the help of a summon then wandered down into invasion central. Had an epic spear duel but alas I was not prepared enough unlike the invader. Also what's with the multiplayer bonfires, do people still use them or just invade instead? I waited a few minutes on a trapdoor but no one connected with me.

I've never used the arena and honestly doubt anyone does, as it is so easy to pvp by the township bonfire. It is a cool concept and I hope it has a better implementation on the sequel.

I've never used the arena and honestly doubt anyone does, as it is so easy to pvp by the township bonfire. It is a cool concept and I hope it has a better implementation on the sequel.

Coincidentally, I just beat Artorias on NG+ and got invaded. The dude invited me near the bonfire and we dueled. Gotta admit, it's pretty nice when invaders follow fair-play.

Yeah fuck Titanite Demons.

The one in Lost Izalith is also a bitch to beat.

NinjaBoiX

Right, just booted it up again, having half an hour trying to best Gwyn.

Get in close, block then parry.

(Just clocked 100 hours. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!)

Edit: goddamn that cheesy grab! A had him all over there, but then he kept spamming his grab and plucking me out of thin air from metres away. Grrrr!!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anybody have any tips for Lautrec as a sorcerer?

I didn't have any trouble with him at all in my last playthrough, but then I had things like real armor and spears.

Mistel

Banned
anybody have any tips for Lautrec as a sorcerer?
Heavy soul arrows or spears might help you there kill Lautrec.

Haha, see I loved that bit! I died just like that, but I laughed and thought "fair play FROM, I wasn't paying attention".
I causally ran by and they did nothing to me. They don't follow you and they are too slow to catch you

Got the best ad ever in this thread:
betteradbase4.png

Top Bottom