• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

Going through Blighttown at the pace that I did made me really appreciate the attention to detail in the level design. It only appears chaotic, but there was a lot of thought put into where all the components went.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Finally beat the gargoyles yesterday. +4 Estoc ftw.

Can someone help me, im trying to reach the
assylum key that lies a top of the building at Firelink
I have manged to get to the edge right below the ceiling but I find no way of reaching it.

Also, how do i go back to the
assylum.

Im doing this for the
rusted
ring

EasyMode

I have manged to get to the edge right below the ceiling but I find no way of reaching it.

assylum.

Im doing this for the
rusted
ring

Use the elevator that takes you up to the undead parish. Except instead of riding it all the way up, walk off of it shortly after it starts rising. You'll figure out the rest from there.

Ridley327

assylum.

Im doing this for the
rusted
ring

In order to do both, you'll need access to the Undead Parish shortcut that you find in the church. Using the elevator, you'll notice that there's a huge ledge that you can walk onto. Do that, and you'll be by a cliff ledge that's over looking the Shrine. Roll onto the nearest column from that cliff, and you'll land right on top of it, allowing you to access the upper levels of the shrine. You'll be using the staircase for both parts; the key should be below you at this point, and all you need to do is roll on top of the roof where it's being kept. Once you've got the key, drop back down the elevator, repeat the first few steps, but keep going up the staircase. You'll eventually come across a bird's nest that gives you a prompt. Do it, and wait a bit. A cutscene will play, and you'll be back in the Asylum.

Mind the floor.

Eusis

The 'dark souls' time then,varies for everyone massively...alright i'll wait till i get to the new areas then
I wouldn't say it's "varies for everyone" (while that IS true) so much as "it's your first time in a new area and you're getting the shit beat out of you while learning it". I'm sure an experience, skilled player familiar with the game could somewhat leisurely beat the entire game in, say, 10-20 hours, whereas most people are going to take a lot longer their first time or if they're messing around. Hell, even with messing around more experienced plays should take a lot less and end up being prolonged more by material grinding or whatever than getting stuck and lost.

But, yeah, I definitely think the new content could be done in about 2 hours or less by someone familiar with it, but it'll take probably 5 or something for complete newbies to it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Now I know this boss is rather easy, I think he is one of the easiest ones, but this just goes to show that in this game you really need to be on your feet at all times... doesn't change the fact that it still stung tho haha

data2012-08-2920-08-308cne.png

Use the elevator that takes you up to the undead parish. Except instead of riding it all the way up, walk off of it shortly after it starts rising. You'll figure out the rest from there.

In order to do both, you'll need access to the Undead Parish shortcut that you find in the church. Using the elevator, you'll notice that there's a huge ledge that you can walk onto. Do that, and you'll be by a cliff ledge that's over looking the Shrine. Roll onto the nearest column from that cliff, and you'll land right on top of it, allowing you to access the upper levels of the shrine. You'll be using the staircase for both parts; the key should be below you at this point, and all you need to do is roll on top of the roof where it's being kept. Once you've got the key, drop back down the elevator, repeat the first few steps, but keep going up the staircase. You'll eventually come across a bird's nest that gives you a prompt. Do it, and wait a bit. A cutscene will play, and you'll be back in the Asylum.

Mind the floor.

Thank you guys!!!!

Mupod

Can you get two Balder Side Swords on one playthrough?

Because I've been grinding for a while...

If you can't get them to drop in Undead Parish just wait until Sen's Fortress to farm one up. There's plenty of good low-level weapons to keep you until then, and they drop like crazy in there. I have like 6 or 7 I got while aimlessly killing Balders while waiting on summons.

Bogus

So seriously, what the hell is the Centipede Demon supposed to be.

It's kind of like this demonic tyrannosaur, except its tail and arms are replaced with gigantic, writhing centipedes. And it's got Doc Octopus-style tentacles coming out of its back, except those are also made of centipedes. Also, one of its centipede-arms is extra-super-massive, presumably so that it can easily reach and feast on the tastiest volcanic rocks, which only form in the upper reaches of the caverns.

Yeah, I have no idea.

Ceebs

Well I think my save game is busted. Warped from a bonfire and it stays at the loading screen, but I hear the noise from the area I warped to.

Happens every time I load my save.

Ridley327

It's kind of like this demonic tyrannosaur, except its tail and arms are replaced with gigantic, writhing centipedes. And it's got Doc Octopus-style tentacles coming out of its back, except those are also made of centipedes. Also, one of its centipede-arms is extra-super-massive, presumably so that it can easily reach and feast on the tastiest volcanic rocks, which only form in the upper reaches of the caverns.

Yeah, I have no idea.

There is no way that the in-game model will ever live up to this description.

Razek

Banned
Now I know this boss is rather easy, I think he is one of the easiest ones, but this just goes to show that in this game you really need to be on your feet at all times... doesn't change the fact that it still stung tho haha

He wasn't easy for me. His pattern was unpredictable, he had too similar of tells, and one shot could knock your health down to near nothing. It took me 20 minutes to beat that guy. So far he was the hardest boss for me in the game including quite a few after him.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
He wasn't easy for me. His pattern was unpredictable, he had too similar of tells, and one shot could knock your health down to near nothing. It took me 20 minutes to beat that guy. So far he was the hardest boss for me in the game including quite a few after him.
It's regarded as one of the easiest because it has incredibly formulaic movements and you can win without taking a single hit once you know what it does

You can just lock on to it and strafe to the right or left the entire battle. When he rears up and does the body slam, cut off its tail. After it recovers from the slam, it always charges forward (back away from this). Basically if you only attack its tail/severed tail area in the back after it does the body slam attack, you will literally never get hit.

UrbanRats

Why didn't you
cut its tail
as the first thing?
Did you
take out the mage that's buffing it
?

Razek

Banned
Why didn't you
cut its tail
as the first thing?

Did you
take out the mage that's buffing it
?

I had no idea you could cut the tail nor did I notice something was buffing it? Is it significantly harder with the mage buffing it because I did piddly damage.

I had no idea you could cut the tail nor did I notice something was buffing it? Is it significantly harder with the mage buffing it because I did piddly damage.

You can cut off the tail of all dragons.

And yeah, the mage makes the fight significantly harder. The first time I went there rather than buffing it, he kept shooting magic projectiles.

Deadstar

I just made it to the new dlc last night. Wow, that's all I have to say. I just entered the area and I can't kill the
Guardian
. But I did manage to
cut off
his
tail.

For me, it's because the Claymore has a thrust attack, which I use all the time. I think the Bastard is swing only. Correct me if wrong.

How do you thurst attack?

Also how do you kick, I remember in the tutorial they said Forward + light attack, it works but its flakey, I want to be able to do it consistently, it leaves you pretty open you miss.

Pakkidis

Also how do you kick, I remember in the tutorial they said Forward + light attack, it works but its flakey, I want to be able to do it consistently, it leaves you pretty open you miss.

R2 (secondary attack) does thrust attack with the claymore

forward + light attack is the only way I know of to kick, keep practice makes perfect.

Taruranto

SUMMON FAILED
SUMMON FAILED
SUMMON FAILED
SUMMON FAILED
SUMMON FAILED
SUMMON FAILED

On a more positive note, i already rang the first bell and i'm on my way for the
capra demon
(though i kinda forgot wtf is the key for his door).

The game is definitely easier and shorter once you know what to do.

mxgt

Banned

Claymore thrust is heavy attack so R2 or RT, or right mouse I guess?

It also thrusts if you do a normal attack while rolling.

Ridley327

You haven't seen the Centipede Demon?

That description was pretty much spot on. Only that the "main" centipede head is on fire.

Seriously why is there no concept art of this guy?

I'm not even sure I've even seen the area where he's supposed to be at, although I suspect he has something to do with the
Demon Ruins

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

The bottom trigger/heavy attack button. I think you need to be one handing it... if i remember right two handing does a different attack with R2. Thrust has great range though.

its forward plus R1/regular attack button. I just flick the forward stick so it doesnt think im trying to move. Kinda takes some practice to get effecient.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So I'm still fairly early in the game and I've unlocked the door just below where I crossed the white light into the Taurus Demon arena. After winding down the stairs I run into a heavily armed fucker with a gigantic sword/club that just does not take damage worth a damn and I usually slip up and get whacked long before I can whittle him down. Is he weak to any particular attack or damage?

So I'm still fairly early in the game and I've unlocked the door just below where I crossed the white light into the Taurus Demon arena. After winding down the stairs I run into a heavily armed fucker with a gigantic sword/club that just does not take damage worth a damn and I usually slip up and get whacked long before I can whittle him down. Is he weak to any particular attack or damage?

You mean the guy that looks like a
cook
?

Deadstar

There is no reason to fight him at this time. If you really want to, dodge his attacks then backstab him. It's the only way.

Razek

Banned
Please help. I just ran into a significant problem. There is a fog wall erected around the Parish blacksmith and I can't get to him. The wall has no contextual menu.
I haven't beaten any bosses besides Capra to get to the depths to get the ember

Edit: Nevermind, I alt-tabbed back into the game and it was gone. Strange glitch...

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I think you've met the wonderful mr
Havel. The best thing that worked for me was to actually take armor off to get the fastest roll possible, since armor did jack against his attacks anyway. Then try to roll around his attacks and backstab him. Might want to come back when youre more powerful too, I waited a little bit to kill him. My character was melee though, I dont know how effective magic is. He does drop a useful ring though if i remember right, so you do want to kill him at some point.

Recarpo

Got through the new areas last night. Got messed up pretty hard by
artorias
but got lucky and summoned a ridiculous tanking guy to help me out the next attempt. My build wouldn't have had a chance without that guy helping me out. Got some really bad fps drops in the
chasm of the abyss
though which I thought was kind of strange since it's almost completely dark just a few feet away.

Top Bottom