• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

mxgt

Banned
Please help. I just ran into a significant problem. There is a fog wall erected around the Parish blacksmith and I can't get to him. The wall has no contextual menu.
I haven't beaten any bosses besides Capra to get to the depths to get the ember

Happens when you're about to get invaded

Sometimes nothing happens though and they go away after a while.

Can always just quit and reload.

About Centipede Demon and the area in general:

You can actually walk right up to Centipede's head at the bonfire, below the capra demons. He's sitting on the side of the cliff right next to the wide stairs. If you notice, you fight Demon Firesage in a high, narrow corridor, then you go down stairs to double back and go down another high, narrow corridor which brings you to Centipede, who is right below the bonfire area, which in itself is just around the corner from Ceaseless Discharge. Awesome level design indeed.

Grief.exe

The master key can get you into some trouble on your first play through

I'm still on my first play through here but I remember when I met mr. Havel and I would do some damage against him, but one hit even with my shield up would kill me.

I'm still on my first play through here but I remember I mr. Havel and I would do some damage against him, but one hit even with my shield up would kill me.

Not having the master key is cruel though, I found a
bonfire
at the
Depths
that could only be exposed using the master key in a door, without this
bonfire the Depths
would be so much more annoying.

Razek

Banned
Happens when you're about to get invaded

Sometimes nothing happens though and they go away after a while.

Can always just quit and reload.

Yeah, I alt tabbed out of the game and it was gone. Must of had a connection interruption or something.

bonfire
at the
Depths
bonfire the Depths

You also miss out on a significant grind spot for shards too.
The master key is essential in this game I feel.

Raxus

bonfire
at the
Depths
bonfire the Depths

Not to mention it is a great spot to farm several items.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I'm still on my first play through here but I remember I mr. Havel and I would do some damage against him, but one hit even with my shield up would kill me.

Yea I found any kind of defense was worthless. go light to get the speed advantage and double hand your sword for more power. Make him miss then make him pay.

Serra

bonfire
at the
Depths
bonfire the Depths

Nope, you can find the key to that door in the Depths.

You also miss out on a significant grind spot for shards too.
The master key is essential in this game I feel.
There are 0 doors in the game that ONLY the Master Key opens. You can always find the key somewhere.

Not to mention it is a great spot to farm several items.

Tell me more!!!

The only place I have found to farm souls is the
hellkite dragon
but its slow and annoying way of farming.

BTW im a level 18 noob, first time souls player, so thats why hehe.

Serra

Tell me more!!!

hellkite dragon

You can farm Humanity from the rats in the depths, eyes of death (required for
Gravelord Covenant
from basilisks and titanite from the slimes.

Raxus

Tell me more!!!

hellkite dragon

Sadly it isn't for souls as much as it is for
Humanity, shards and eyes of death (for a covenant). Rats drop humanity, Lg Tit Sd and Gr Sd are dropped by the slimes, and the frogs drop eye of death.
If you are looking for soul farming locations then you may want to look elsewhere.

You can farm Humanity from the rats in the depths, eyes of death (required for
Gravelord Covenant
and titanite from the slimes.

How does this work, I have killed
several rats and slimes
and they arent leaving anything down, is it because im in hollow form?

Also I made a huge mistake last night, I was playing at the depths and I spent all my souls on the
crystal gear
the merchant sells there, Later I read the description that they are frail and cannot be repaired, almost had a rage heart attack :(

ANOTHER QUESTIOn, how do you deal with the
Slimes
, the only I have found is using my fire spell, but I only get 8 of those, so once I run out I just avoid/run next to them, my sword attacks cant reach them in ground

TUSR

Banned
several rats and slimes

Also I made a huge mistake last night, I was playing at the depths and I spent all my souls on the
crystal gear
the merchant sells there, Later I read the description that they are frail and cannot be repaired, almost had a rage heart attack :(

Drop rates increase based on how much humanity you have.

Serra

several rats and slimes

crystal gear

Well the drop rate isn't 100%. And the crystal stuff is still good for bosses, they don't break that fast.

Deadstar

Tell me more!!!

hellkite dragon

If you want to farm souls there is only one place to do it. It's in Darkroot Garden. Have you seen the door that is locked with a bright white light next to the bonfire? You buy a key for 20k from Andre the blacksmith to open it. You run into the forest and get 3-4 guys to chase you back to where you came in and you sit underneath the stairs right next to the cliff. The enemies will run up the stairs and jump off the edge giving you around 2k souls per enemy.

Slimes
, the only way I have found is using my fire spell, but I only get 8 of those, so once I run out I just avoid/run next to them, my sword attacks cant reach them in ground

Razek

Banned
Nope, you can find the key to that door in the Depths.

There are 0 doors in the game that ONLY the Master Key opens. You can always find the key somewhere.

I did forget that every door has a key, but I couldn't live without the two shortcuts to the
bells at the start.

lol dont alt-tab, you can still get invaded and killed while you are not looking.

I didn't know at the time!

If you want to farm souls there is only one place to do it. It's in Darkroot Garden. Have you seen the door that is locked with a bright white light next to the bonfire? You buy a key for 20k from Andre the blacksmith to open it. You run into the forest and get 3-4 guys to chase you back to where you came in and you sit underneath the stairs right next to the cliff. The enemies will run up the stairs and jump off the edge giving you around 2k souls per enemy.

This is valuable info, I will save this for later!

mxgt

Banned
several rats and slimes

Drop rate increases with humanity and caps at 10

This can be further increased with the
Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
in
Sen's Fortress

Slimes
, the only I have found is using my fire spell, but I only get 8 of those, so once I run out I just avoid/run next to them, my sword attacks cant reach them in ground

Unless you need Large Titanite Shards or Green Titanite Shards I'd just avoid them, not worth the effort.

Serra

Slimes
, the only way I have found is using my fire spell, but I only get 8 of those, so once I run out I just avoid/run next to them, my sword attacks cant reach them in ground

Hmm, what weapon you are using? Just pick some weapon that has a move that strikes downward. I haven't had any problems hitting them.

Akkad

Banned

lol, they didn't patch that? I remember taking advantage of that shit in the PS3 version, good times.

Hmm, what weapon you are using? Just pick some weapon that has a move that strikes downward. I haven't had any problems hitting them.

even 2 handing?

Im using the Drake Sword, maybe I should switch to a Battle Axe?

Another Question lol, how come when I enter the stats of some weapons they have a Base attack number and next to it I see a negative number like : 170 -80

What am I doing that its making the weapons shittier than base level?

epmode

Try using the targeting system and getting right up in their face. Even a winged spear can hit those slimes provided you do exactly that.

EasyMode

Another Question lol, how come when I enter the stats of some weapons they have a Base attack number and next to it I see a negative number like : 170 -80

The drake sword will work if you two-hand it.

The negative number is because you don't have the required stats to wield it effectively.

Deadstar

lol, they didn't patch that? I remember taking advantage of that shit in the PS3 version, good times.

Curiously enough, no. It's the same as it was in the ps3 version. I assume this isn't a bug because they fixed other things but left this in. Maybe it was too hard to fix? Regardless, I had to take advantage of this. :)

The drake sword will work if you two-hand it.

The negative number is because you don't have the required stats to wield it.

I thought using the Drake Sword 2 handed was a no no because it throws lightning and breaks after 12 uses.

And also thanks for the stats info, makes sense.

Another question, I see that some weapons have stat icons with letter grading next to them...

Does this letter grading increase as you level up the stat attached to it? Like, will a Str C weapon go to Srt A If I keep leveling my Str?

Depends on what stat you want to be your main (strength, dex). Pick a weapon that has the best multiplier (letter grade).

For strength build black knight great axe works quite well (if you can find one).

You also cant increase the letter grade multiplier of a weapon

So I just got the
Lordvessel and placed it in the alter. Are the areas it opened up easy to find? I recognized the area to the left of the Anor Londo bonfire, but didn't recognized the other areas.

Jeramii

Banned
the summoning issues are really getting on my nerves. i tried for 20 minutes to summon some help the other day... during that time, i got invaded by someone who was a bit more tough than me. meanwhile, SUMMON FAILED continue to pop up on my screen.

i'd say i hope they fix it. but judging how it never got fixed on ps3. i don't think that'll happen.

aside from summoning, it has been a lovely experience as always.

So I just got the
Lordvessel and placed it in the alter. Are the areas it opened up easy to find? I recognized the area to the left of the Anor Londo bonfire, but didn't recognized the other areas.

the one is after you fight the boss
ceaseless discharge (shortly after blighttown)
, and the other I can't remember off the top of my head.

Grief.exe

So I'm sl65 I've beaten andor lando and four kings. Where should I go now? Should i move forward with the game?

I want to get all the pyromancies this game and all the rare weapons I need to. For example you need to kill
sif
like 3 times for the achievement. I'm not looking to 100% this run, but get all the things that I need. I'll come back in ng+ or on a new character for sure and get all the optional stuff at one point.

Jeramii

Banned
So I'm sl65 I've beaten andor lando and four kings. Where should I go now? Should i move forward with the game?

I want to get all the pyromancies this game and all the rare weapons I need to. For example you need to kill
sif
like 3 times for the achievement. I'm not looking to 100% this run, but get all the things. I need to, I'll come back in ng+ or on a new character for sure and get all the optional stuff at one point.

did you already finish the catacombs, the tomb of giants, and the new content?

Quikies83

Nearly 45 minutes of waiting in duel PVP arena -- not a single fucking match.. I watched as 10 or 12 red rings appeared across from me and disappeared in a matter of minutes.
God damnit i'm getting sick of these online issues.

I hope they announce awareness of the issue soon.

Grief.exe

did you already finish the catacombs, the tomb of giants, and the new content?

Nope, nope, and nope. Should I stick around this soul level? Or move forward?

If I moved forward I'd probably have to start pumping str or faith since I'm at 40 end and 40 vit, I know I could get more vit but don't really need it.

First time player btw.

Razek

Banned
Curiously enough, no. It's the same as it was in the ps3 version. I assume this isn't a bug because they fixed other things but left this in. Maybe it was too hard to fix? Regardless, I had to take advantage of this. :)

That's where I have been sitting for most of the day. I kill the first annoying mage enemy with my sword and get the rest to just follow me to the stairs. The soul intake is so fast I'm already past my level in my 20 hour game. I'm currently only 5 hours into this one, it's ridiculous. I can't imagine it with the soul gain buffs.

That's where I have been sitting for most of the day. I kill the first annoying mage enemy with my sword and get the rest to just follow me to the stairs. The soul intake is so fast I'm already past my level in my 20 hour game. I'm currently only 5 hours into this one, it's ridiculous. I can't imagine it with the soul gain buffs.

So do enemies keep respawning over and over, or do you have to go to a nearby bonfire and repeat?

EasyMode

I thought using the Drake Sword 2 handed was a no no because it throws lightning and breaks after 12 uses.

Another question, I see that some weapons have stat icons with letter grading next to them...

Does this letter grading increase as you level up the stat attached to it? Like, will a Str C weapon go to Srt A If I keep leveling my Str?

You're thinking of the two-handed heavy attack. I'm talking about the two-handed light attack, which is a vertical slice that can hit the slimes.

The letters refer to stat-scaling -- it adds damage based on the letter and your stats. For example if a weapon has A-scaling for STR and your STR is 40, you'll do considerably more damage. The letter may improve as you upgrade the weapon.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

I believe thats only if you use the R2/heavy attack. you can still double hand and use the regular attack/R1

Jeramii

Banned
Nope, nope, and nope. Should I stick around this soul level? Or move forward?

i'm currently sitting at 65. i'm going to level up two more times (so i can do what i want to do). i won't bother leveling up further unless i find something new i want my character to use or have that it can't do. it gets to expensive if you start ranking just to rank.

just depends how you choose to play. if i were you i'd stick around there.

So do enemies keep respawning over and over, or do you have to go to a nearby bonfire and repeat?

they stay dead until you die or sit at a bonfire.

Gvaz

Banned
I pretty much ignore all the stabbing weapons. I got excited about having the estus then I noticed the normal attack was just a stab animation.

HELLO BOTTOMLESS BOX

You're thinking of the two-handed heavy attack. I'm talking about the two-handed light attack, which is a vertical slice that can hit the slimes.

The letters refer to stat-scaling -- it adds damage based on the letter and your stats. For example if a weapon has A-scaling for STR and your STR is 40, you'll do considerably more damage. The letter may improve as you upgrade the weapon.

Thanks guys this game is so confusing sometimes.

Another... I just found my first large ember at the
depths
, I read what it does over at the wiki but im not sure if I should use it right now or wait, how rare is this item? I dont want to waste it.

I have a Drake Sword right now, should I attempt to get the Claymore and use the ember for it and use this weapon for the entire game?

Leezard

depths
, I read what it does over at the wiki but im not sure if I should use it right now or wait, how rare is this item? I dont want to waste it.

I have a Drake Sword right now, should I attempt to get the Claymore and use the ember for it and use this weapon for the entire game?

Embers cannot be wasted, they make a permanent upgrade to the smith's skills.

krishian

depths

You don't use embers, you give them to blacksmiths so they can upgrade your equipment past certain levels.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

depths

The embers are unique and not consumable. You need to find and give them to specific blacksmiths in the game to unlock upgrade paths. For example if you give the large ember to andre, you'll be able to upgrade weapons from normal +5 to +6 and higher.

And no, you should definitely not use the drake sword long term, most weapons outdamage it when upgraded.

EasyMode

The claymore is a much better long term weapon than the drake sword, but it will be weaker at first. You'll need to upgrade it.

Top Bottom