• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

FtHTiny

For PvP duels, I believe most people aim for SL 120 builds but you typically wouldn't hit that until NG+.

You have to be careful now, sl 120 is maybe okay for outside pvp but most of the players are stopping at 100 now.

The arena brackets are 1-50, 51-100, 101-200.

So if you go to 120 you cant invade the sl 100 guys anymore or join them in the arena.

I´m currently sitting at 120 and it´s not that easy to find pvp in the outside, but that´s also because of "invade failed"

Embers cannot be wasted, they make a permanent upgrade to the smith's skills.

You don't use embers, you give them to blacksmiths so they can upgrade you equipment past certain levels.

The embers are unique and not consumable. You need to find and give them to specific blacksmiths in the game to unlock upgrade paths. For example if you give the large ember to andre, you'll be able to upgrade weapons from normal +5 to +6 and higher.

And no, you should definitely not use the drake sword long term, most weapons outdamage it when upgraded.

Damn my reading comprehension really sucks hahaha.

So Its like investing the Ember to one blacksmith which will make the blacksmith capable of upgrading weapons? and then I have to pay him souls to perform the upgrades?

derwalde

can anybode buy me a canvas talisman from patches pleaaaaaaaaase. i answered him that im a cleric and that fu... kicked me off a ledge. i had to take revenge :(

You have to be careful now, sl 120 is maybe okay for outside pvp but most of the players are stopping at 100 now.

So if you go to 120 you cant invade the sl 100 guys anymore or join them in the arena.

I´m currently sitting at 120 and it´s not that easy to find pvp in the outside, but that´s also because of "invade failed"

Ahh, ok. I was basing that on old knowledge I guess. Thanks for the info.

Grief.exe

Probably a very small percentage of the population has reached that level right now, so you have a very small bracket of people to choose from.

I agree with you though, I'm thinking people will stop their builds at SL100 from now on. First time player so my opinion on that isn't worth much though.

Leezard

Should I place the Lordvessel before moving forward with the Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, and new content?

It only matters if you are going to choose Frampt or
Kaathe
, I think. I might have forgotten something though.
edit: Oh, right. You have to place it to proceed. As long as you have chosen already then.

Grief.exe

I thought you
are a darkwraith already
. If you are you can place it because you basically have to progress further.

I honestly don't trust either of them, I am having a hard time deciding which one to trust. I know almost nothing about Dark Souls lore, but here is my stab at it.

I can't really trust Kaathe since he was locked away for a reason, and when I talked to the guy in New Londo Ruins he said that the Dark Wraiths were locked away long ago and can't be allowed to escape.

But I can't really trust Frampt either, he is friends with Gwyn the guy who fell from grace and I am destined to overthrow. I don't know his motives either.

Will Placing the Lord Vessel with Frampt cause me to get kicked out of the Dark Wraiths?

robin2

When the game originally came out on console, I watched a livestream (was one of the very first livestream of the game) with a guy sporting a halberd and a sort of cloak-armor. He sometimes used sword + shield but he mainly rolled. What class would be suited for that kind of character?

Also I saw another video (before release I think), with a knight-looking character, killing two gargoyles-demons on a roof. The guy used sword+shield and threw.. "light bolts" or something (though my memory is a little fuzzy, could have been a healing magic). That what class would be?

Thanks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
When the game originally came out on console, I watched a livestream (was one of the very first livestream of the game) with a guy sporting a halberd and a sort of cloak-armor. He sometimes used sword + shield but he mainly rolled. What class would be suited for that kind of character?

Also I saw another video (before release I think), with a knight-looking character, killing two gargoyles-demons on a roof. The guy used sword+shield and threw.. "light bolts" or something (though my memory is a little fuzzy, could have been a healing magic). That what class would be?

Thanks.

There are no real classes in this game everyone can do everything

Zaventem

Thanks.

Any class can use any spell or weapon.Picking a starting class only brackets you to the items you start with.The guy throwing lightning bolts you saw was probably Solaire.Rolling at certain speed depend on your equipment weight being below a certain level.

Truant

What sword should I go for after Drake +1? When I played on 360 I went for a lightning Iato, but I want something different and more powerful, yet fast. Thinking about Quelaag's Furysword, but I don't think it looks that cool.

Razek

Banned
Sometimes, I just really really hate this game.

ibpNwSLnup382h.png

Just let me grab the item!!!!

KSai

I just lost 32,000 souls to the wheel skeletons. Jeremiah easily made up for it and now I'm rolling a Velka swordsman. Feel so good to have a rapier and homing soul mass again.

Sullichin

Earlier, I got two titanite slabs and a couple of chunks in one run from darkwraiths in new londo, with only 300 item discovery too. I only had to farm the wraiths twice to get enough chunks to make a +15 weapon, and that was only because I already used the chunks I picked up in chests. They definitely increased drop rates, which is a good thing, farming is just tedious. I don't think I've ever actually gotten a slab from darkwraiths before, I usually just get one slab per playthrough from the asylum demon.

Leezard

I honestly don't trust either of them, I am having a hard time deciding which one to trust. I know almost nothing about Dark Souls lore, but here is my stab at it.

I can't really trust Kaathe since he was locked away for a reason, and when I talked to the guy in New Londo Ruins he said that the Dark Wraiths were locked away long ago and can't be allowed to escape.

But I can't really trust Frampt either, he is friends with Gwyn the guy who fell from grace and I am destined to overthrow. I don't know his motives either.

Will Placing the Lord Vessel with Frampt cause me to get kicked out of the Dark Wraiths?
As for the last row:
Yes, you lose access to Kaathe once you place the vessel with Frampt, and vice versa. In terms of gameplay, not story, it becomes a choice of having access to the Darkwraiths vs being able to sell items.

Just need to farm one Bloated Head and Bloated Sorcerer Head in the new content and I'm done with that playthrough (unless people find some other item somewhere or on some enemy that isn't currently listed, of course). Did everything I could apart from that, the rest has to be done in NG+ and eventually NG++.

edit : got them, plus an oolacile catalyst (actually different from the oolacile ivory catalyst from the old content, I almost missed it because I thought it was the same...). So I'm on NG+ now, first bell rung and some other things done. Only hard thing on my checklist for NG+ will be to fight
Ornstein
last to get ring and armor set, the rest is way easier

Serra

Fighting
Manus
have tried 5 times, twice got him to around 25% hp, then just made a huge mistake and got caught in those nasty combos. The other 3 have just been total failures :)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
What sword should I go for after Drake +1? When I played on 360 I went for a lightning Iato, but I want something different and more powerful, yet fast. Thinking about Quelaag's Furysword, but I don't think it looks that cool.

Once upon a time the Furysword was great, but the 1.05 console patch nerfed it a bit and the PC version nerfs it further still. It's not so hot anymore.

Most things are better than the Drake Sword in the long run, really. If you've got the 16 Strength for the Drake Sword you can use the ever-popular Claymore, it's still good even though it's been nerfed. If you've got 14 Dex the Balder Side Sword is a perennial favorite as well, and it hasn't been hit with the nerf stick.

If you've got more than the minimum Strength for the Drake Sword your options open up a lot, of course, and all the various ultra greatswords start entering the picture.

I was a ghost, the host entered the fight without me.

I didn't remember where the Boss Door was, and when i turned around i saw... that.

For maximum style points park yourself up there with
the Dragonslayer Greatbow and shoot its tail off.

That is the classy phantom's way of dispatching that boss.

Tain

I beat this game on 360 without resorting to co-op, but, uh, I beat Ornstein and Smough by watching as Super Ornstein clipped himself through the window and fell outside.

gotta do this shit for real this time

Sullichin

Just need to farm one Bloated Head and Bloated Sorcerer Head in the new content and I'm done with that playthrough (unless people find some other item somewhere or on some enemy that isn't currently listed, of course). Did everything I could apart from that, the rest has to be done in NG+ and eventually NG++.

Is there a nice list of the new stuff somewhere? i'm sure I missed some things.

Serra

So what am I supposed to do when
Manus does his "cone AoE" attack? He jumps back and pumps a black stream from his hand at me. Its a goddamn quick and I have tried blocking, dodging and running to the side. I am basically dying everytime he does that attack. 7 tries so far, 4 of those have ended to me dying to THAT attack.

Any tips?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Just a console player of the Souls games, and wondering how u guys are enjoying the game on PC? Especially if it's your first time.

It's my first experience of a Souls game. Played 16 hours so far and it's really got its claws in me. Somebody said it earlier, the way the areas connect up through shortcuts is great. The combat is bizarre - it feels reassuringly methodical, yet capable of savage table flips when you least expect it and then YOU DIED. Also, the times when I get flippant or clumsy, shit gets real.

Had my first invasion today, no idea what was going to happen so I kept working through an area. Dude eventually caught up and that was me dead. Was happy to find I could reclaim the souls and humanity, and it wasn't too far from the bonfire anyway.

I'm trying to progress without reading up on too much stuff. Been trying to break out of the areas I've been running through cos the only things left to do were either the knights or ominous foggy doors with signs that predict my imminent demise.

If I could wish for 1 mod, it would be to mute the blacksmith's hammer. It's so annoying.

KSai

The wiki seriously needs some updating. There are a lot of inaccuracies on there.

Console versions still don't have the revisions yet, so cut them some slack. I still find it weird having two sets of Dark Souls achievements on my gamertag.

It's my first experience of a Souls game. Played 16 hours so far and it's really got its claws in me. Somebody said it earlier, the way the areas connect up through shortcuts is great. The combat is bizarre - it feels reassuringly methodical, yet capable of savage table flips when you least expect it and then YOU DIED. Also, the times when I get flippant or clumsy, shit gets real.

Had my first invasion today, no idea what was going to happen so I kept working through an area. Dude eventually caught up and that was me dead. Was happy to find I could reclaim the souls and humanity, and it wasn't too far from the bonfire anyway.

I'm trying to progress without reading up on too much stuff. Been trying to break out of the areas I've been running through cos the only things left to do were either the knights or ominous foggy doors with signs that predict my imminent demise.

If I could wish for 1 mod, it would be to mute the blacksmith's hammer. It's so annoying.

Glad you guys like it, Personally I enjoyed it over Skyrim (I know it's not equally comparable, but just saying). I really do think the series is fantastically engrossing and hugely rewarding. Combat is methodical and feels impactful, exploration is fear-inducing, tense, yet simply fun and satisfying in its own right.

I love the multiplayer co-op, wait until you have like 2 guys with you and somebody invades you guys, the way the mood suddenly changes between all of you, the way you set up ambushes, it just is such a wonderful game.

I do hope they are successful on PC and can't wait to see what they do next. Enjoy it, you guys :)

Finalow

ok, finally took the Moonlight Greatsword with the mage build but I thought it was better. I mean it seems a decent sword (right now I have 30 int and it's a +3 sword) but not great.

also the mage build seems crappy, in pvp the enemy can dodge every magic and in pve you just farm a lot better with pyro.

btw I'm going to check the dlc stuff tomorrow.

KSai

also the mage build seems crappy, in pvp the enemy can dodge every magic and in pve you just farm a lot better with pyro.

Soul Mass is great for keeping up pressure. It also forces your opponent to back off, giving you the chance to attack first (as long as you're not worried about riposte). I would agree that the soul arrows are pretty worthless. You might get lucky and catch someone off guard in narrow corridors with a Soul Spear, and that's a great one-hit KO.

As for your 30 Int, that's pretty low. You're going to need the Bellowing dragon crest ring from Griggs. If you're going to play sorcerer you better pump that Int.

Razek

Banned
Console versions still don't have the revisions yet, so cut them some slack. I still find it weird having two sets of Dark Souls achievements on my gamertag.

I suppose that's fair, but it's cost me a powerful ring and I'm not too happy about it. Oh well.

Top Bottom