• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Sullichin

Is online working well for anyone here? No one's summoning me for the new bosses. Takes forever to get summoned anywhere, invasion failed, summoning failed, pvp arena totally not working. This is fucking annoying.

KSai

I haven't been able to summon anyone today. I got three invasions yesterday in Anor Londo. There are tons of names to choose from, but Summon Failed every time.

Kerrinck

About the DLC,
Do I need to do anything after beating Manus to finish the story? I saw the princess at the Manus area but she has since disappeared.

Razek

Banned
Big question for you guys. Should I risk killing
Ingward? He's apparently bugged in the PC version and doesn't always drop the key. Anyone heard if this has been fixed?

Haunted

So what am I supposed to do when
Manus does his "cone AoE" attack? He jumps back and pumps a black stream from his hand at me. Its a goddamn quick and I have tried blocking, dodging and running to the side. I am basically dying everytime he does that attack. 7 tries so far, 4 of those have ended to me dying to THAT attack.

Any tips?
Do you have
the Silver Pendant from the Township? Blocks all of his Dark Magic attacks if timed correctly.

About the DLC,
Do I need to do anything after beating Manus to finish the story? I saw the princess at the Manus area but she has since disappeared.
Storywise,
defeating Manus is the end afaik. You can get the rest of the armour sets/weapons, or try tackling Kalameet if you haven't already.

Grief.exe

Ingward? He's apparently bugged in the PC version and doesn't always drop the key. Anyone heard if this has been fixed?

Where are you at in the game?

The only point of doing that is doing Four Kings, which I can promise you is one of the hardest fights.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ok, finally took the Moonlight Greatsword with the mage build but I thought it was better. I mean it seems a decent sword (right now I have 30 int and it's a +3 sword) but not great.

also the mage build seems crappy, in pvp the enemy can dodge every magic and in pve you just farm a lot better with pyro.

btw I'm going to check the dlc stuff tomorrow.

i have 50 int and its +5 dose massive damage but its slow

Sarcasm

God damn controls suck. Kept getting stuck and had to keep resetting it with clicking..but I still died. On a boss too. Not like the boss was hard the hard part was the damn controls seem to like tweaking out when I fight the boss.

Quikies83

Is online working well for anyone here? No one's summoning me for the new bosses. Takes forever to get summoned anywhere, invasion failed, summoning failed, pvp arena totally not working. This is fucking annoying.

My last 5 posts have been about this same issue.. Others will say "it's your level"... One thing I"m sure of, it's not your level. It's really fucking annoying -- a huge aspect of the game is on the fritz.

Sullichin

2Adept told me that it was bugged for him and he didn't get the key.. which is necessary to beat that area. I wouldn't risk it. You'd have to start over. Although I used to do this all the time on the ps3 version.

My last 5 posts have been about this same issue.. Others will say "it's your level"... One thing I"m sure of, it's not your level. It's really fucking annoying -- a huge aspect of the game is on the fritz.

Yeah it's not my level. Also there's plenty of new players so I'm sure people are "over leveling" for the areas anyway, but I'm not. I know from the PS3 version I should be able to get constant pvp/co-op in everything Sen's Fortress onward at level 50 and up. Messing around with network settings but i don't think its on me. My NAT is open.

Jeramii

Banned
I just got to this boss, i dont think im supposed to be there though, completely owned me

i remembered this boss being hard first time i played back on ps3. i even summoned help.

but i did it by myself with zero help in one try. i had my claymore to +10 at that point. just farmed those slime things that fall on your head near the bonfire in this level. and bought any other missing material from the blacksmith.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So what am I supposed to do when
Manus does his "cone AoE" attack? He jumps back and pumps a black stream from his hand at me. Its a goddamn quick and I have tried blocking, dodging and running to the side. I am basically dying everytime he does that attack. 7 tries so far, 4 of those have ended to me dying to THAT attack.

Any tips?

It sounds like you haven't found
the Silver Pendant, which deflects abyss sorcery. You need to bring a light source to the area in Oolacile Township that has a sign on the ground saying "Let there be light" then use it on the wall to get it. It's an item that plays a Wrath of the Gods-style animation that completely deflects any abyss sorcery spells that contact it, including all of Manus' magical attacks.

You can also dodge all of his spells fairly reliably when you get used to how he telegraphs them, with the exception of the one where he creates a ring of black orbs that close in on you. You can avoid that one with a perfectly timed dodge roll, but the only really reliable way to deflect it is with the Silver Pendant.

ok, finally took the Moonlight Greatsword with the mage build but I thought it was better. I mean it seems a decent sword (right now I have 30 int and it's a +3 sword) but not great.

also the mage build seems crappy, in pvp the enemy can dodge every magic and in pve you just farm a lot better with pyro.

btw I'm going to check the dlc stuff tomorrow.

The Moonlight Greatsword isn't all that impressive with only 30 Int. If you take your Int to 40 its attack power will increase by a full third before diminishing returns start to kick in. Like all greatswords it's had its attack speed decreased, which does diminish its utility a little. I'm not entirely sure it's the best choice for hardcore Int-builds the way it was in the console versions any more.

Its main use in PvP is the special attack with both hands. It's pretty much unblockable, and the projectile's hit box is actually larger than it appears so people sometimes have trouble timing a dodge roll.

In PvP sorcery is actually really great once you get used to it. The trick is to use the Soulmass spells to force your opponent to either block or dodge, then follow up with a heavy hitter like the Soul Spear line. The new spells in the PC version are also fantastic in PvP.

In general if you want to be using sorcery other than enchantments in PvP you need more than 30 Int though. With that little Intelligence you can't use the real hard hitter spells and you can't use the best catalysts. It's fine to stop at 30 if all you want is CMW, but if you want to really fight with sorcery in PvP you need at least 44, preferably 50 Int.

Razek

Banned
Where are you at in the game?

The only point of doing that is doing Four Kings, which I can promise you is one of the hardest fights.

You an get the
Very large ember
early for a bit more power before harder areas.

2Adept told me that it was bugged for him and he didn't get the key.. which is necessary to beat that area. I wouldn't risk it. You'd have to start over. Although I used to do this all the time on the ps3 version.

Yeah, I decided against it.

ixix

You an get the
Very large ember
early for a bit more power before harder areas.

If you want an early power boost your best option is
the Chaos Ember available immediately after Ceaseless Discharge. You used to be able to pick it up no problem if you just suicided to it, but with the increase in lava damage you'll want to bring the Flash Sweat Pyromancy to survive long enough to nab it.

There are enough materials readily available at that point in the game to make a +2 or +3
Chaos
weapon before ever setting foot in
Sen's Fortress
, and such a weapon will outperform anything you could make using the
Very Large Ember
at that point in the game.

Finalow

The Moonlight Greatsword isn't all that impressive with only 30 Int. If you take your Int to 40 its attack power will increase by a full third before diminishing returns start to kick in. Like all greatswords it's had its attack speed decreased, which does diminish its utility a little. I'm not entirely sure it's the best choice for hardcore Int-builds the way it was in the console versions any more.

Its main use in PvP is the special attack with both hands. It's pretty much unblockable, and the projectile's hit box is actually larger than it appears so people sometimes have trouble timing a dodge roll.

In PvP sorcery is actually really great once you get used to it. The trick is to use the Soulmass spells to force your opponent to either block or dodge, then follow up with a heavy hitter like the Soul Spear line. The new spells in the PC version are also fantastic in PvP.

In general if you want to be using sorcery other than enchantments in PvP you need more than 30 Int though. With that little Intelligence you can't use the real hard hitter spells and you can't use the best catalysts. It's fine to stop at 30 if all you want is CMW, but if you want to really fight with sorcery in PvP you need at least 44, preferably 50 Int.
I know that my int is low, I'm level 58 so I don't have the chara ready for pvp yet. still with the Moonlight you get +7 damage every int level until 40, so I'm missing only 70 damage from that. after that it's only a +2. R2 attack is pretty good but I didn't try it on pvp yet and can't really use it in pve.
I'll let you know when I try that combo but it seems pretty easy to dodge. also what new spells? Those dark ones? =V

Soul Mass is great for keeping up pressure. It also forces your opponent to back off, giving you the chance to attack first (as long as you're not worried about riposte). I would agree that the soul arrows are pretty worthless. You might get lucky and catch someone off guard in narrow corridors with a Soul Spear, and that's a great one-hit KO.

As for your 30 Int, that's pretty low. You're going to need the Bellowing dragon crest ring from Griggs. If you're going to play sorcerer you better pump that Int.
if they aren't noobs (if they are they won't even dodge your magic, or at least not all of it. it worked with some random guys but can't really call it good when it comes to a decent level of pvp) they go for parry/riposte. it works in narrow corridors yeah but usually you aren't playing pvp there. at least when I was playing it the classic place was the one before the last boss.

Razek

Banned
If you want an early power boost your best option is
the Chaos Ember available immediately after Ceaseless Discharge. You used to be able to pick it up no problem if you just suicided to it, but with the increase in lava damage you'll want to bring the Flash Sweat Pyromancy to survive long enough to nab it.

There are enough materials readily available at that point in the game to make a +2 or +3
Chaos
weapon before ever setting foot in
Sen's Fortress
, and such a weapon will outperform anything you could make using the
Very Large Ember
at that point in the game.

That's actually very interesting to know. It would have gone against my build this time but for my next character I might try it. Unfortunately, using
chaos would stop me from using crystal magic weapon
. I do get annoyed by running sorcery though so that could be an interesting alternative.

Sullichin

It sounds like you haven't found
the Silver Pendant, which deflects abyss sorcery. You need to bring a light source to the area in Oolacile Township that has a sign on the ground saying "Let there be light" then use it on the wall to get it. It's an item that plays a Wrath of the Gods-style animation that completely deflects any abyss sorcery spells that contact it, including all of Manus' magical attacks.

You can also dodge all of his spells fairly reliably when you get used to how he telegraphs them, with the exception of the one where he creates a ring of black orbs that close in on you. You can avoid that one with a perfectly timed dodge roll, but the only really reliable way to deflect it is with the Silver Pendant.

I usually don't like int builds much for PVP because I can never make a good one that's around level 50-60, without severely gimping something, and I like to invade and co-op. Btw I totally gave up on that magic/enchanted BSS. Magic sucked at +6, didn't feel like getting more blue chunks, or farming another BSS. Just downgraded it and brought it up to +15. Great magic weapon or nothing for normal mobs, CMW for the heavy hitters and bosses. But you're right, with only 30 int (27 in my case), actual sorceries are very underwhelming. Making a mostly melee build that can also effectively use sorceries at, say level 60, is proving to be very challenging for me. I'm level 53 now with 27 INT. Maybe I'll bring him up to 70 and hope I can get invasions in Dukes onward and the new areas.

..if online were working for me. :(

Finalow

this is the biggest (and only) problem of the game. today it felt like you were playing OFFLINE mode even if you were online, for some reason. not a single sign/invasion. bug? Also it's like SUMMON FAILED nine times out of ten.

nyong

Banned
I thought this game looked like crap for the first few hours (but was still fun as hell)...turns out I was playing it in 16-bit color mode...

ixix

I know that my int is low, I'm level 58 so I don't have the chara ready for pvp yet. still with the Moonlight you get +7 damage every int level until 40, so I'm missing only 70 damage from that. after that it's only a +2. R2 attack is pretty good but I didn't try it on pvp yet and can't really use it in pve.
I'll let you know when I try that combo but it seems pretty easy to dodge. also what new spells? Those dark ones? =V

if they aren't noobs (if they are they won't even dodge your magic, or at least not all of it. it worked with some random guys but can't really call it good when it comes to a decent level of pvp) they go for parry/reposte. it works in narrow corridors yeah but usually you aren't playing pvp there. at least when I was playing it the classic place was the one before the last boss.

70 damage on a weapon with a monolithic damage type which already has enough raw power to overcome enemy defenses is actually quite significant, especially when it comes gratis for pumping the stat that increases the power of your catalyst, which is the main form of offense for a serious Int build.

The Soulmass combo is a really basic thing, it's basically an automated way of forcing a roll or a block, which you can follow up with any sort of offense you please. You need to compensate for casting and projectile travel time if you're following up with a spell, but otherwise it's no different from any other attack that you launch during an enemy's recovery time. Since Soulmass tracks independently of your lock-on you can easily follow it up with a pivot backstab if you have trouble with the timing of the Soul Spear.

It's basically the single best method in the game for setting up an attack during an enemy's recovery frames. If that combo is easy to dodge then a combo that is hard to dodge does not exist in the game.

I usually don't like int builds much for PVP because I can never make a good one that's around level 50-60, without severely gimping something, and I like to invade and co-op. Btw I totally gave up on that magic/enchanted BSS. Magic sucked at +6, didn't feel like getting more blue chunks, or farming another BSS. Just downgraded it and brought it up to +15. Great magic weapon or nothing for normal mobs, CMW for the heavy hitters and bosses. But you're right, with only 30 int (27 in my case), actual sorceries are very underwhelming. Making a mostly melee build that can also effectively use sorceries at, say level 60, is proving to be very challenging for me. I'm level 53 now with 27 INT. Maybe I'll bring him up to 70 and hope I can get invasions in Dukes onward and the new areas.

Int builds are some of the most restrictive builds in the game, since 50 Int is practically non-negotiable. The new spells might change that a bit, since they actually have fairly low Int requirements, but at least in the console versions 44 was the absolute bare minimum for a viable Int build. It's not like Strength where 34 or 36 is pretty much always enough, or Faith builds which can stop as soon as they can use WotG.

If you're looking to PvP with an Int build you've not got much of an alternative to going to high levels if you want to have decent HP and Stamina. At low levels your only recourse is to resign yourself to being a glass cannon or to just use a different build entirely. I've never had much problem with this personally, since I don't invade and so my interest in low-level PvP builds is pretty much nil.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
So what does it really mean to be in the Book of Guilt. The descriptor in the loading screen says something about them one day facing the wrath of somebody. Is it just an unkillable NPC that shows up and ganks them after X invasions?

mash440

Neo Member
Suggestions for a weapon for a Pyromancer? Currently using Lightning Spear +4.

Pyromancers can use absolutely any weapon. Pyromancy does not require stats so you are not locked into any particular build. I personally recommend a fast weapon with stunning potential though to enable you to get off some of those long cast time spells off.

So what does it really mean to be in the Book of Guilt. The descriptor in the loading screen says something about them one day facing the wrath of somebody. Is it just an unkillable NPC that shows up and ganks them after X invasions?

I'm not sure about this but I THINK there is a covenant that is specifically tasked to hunt those people down.

Raxus

Its the darkmoon covenant. You invade people who broke their covenants or invaded people as darkwraiths. Really cool concept, but invading as a darkmoon is just a pain in the ass, it never worked very well for me.

It is a covenant for late game griefers. Since you can battle level 1-your current level+10+10%. So if you are level 100 you can challenge people at levels 1-120.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
No. The book of the guilty is meant to be for the Darkwraith covenant and has nothing to do with unkillable invaders or hackers or cheaters.

Black Phantoms (red in color) who invade you are part of the Darkwraith covenant. If you bought some indictments from Oswald in the gargoyle tower you can indict a Darkwraith invader if he kills you in your game. Darkwraiths who collect the most indictions are then invaded by Darkmoon covenant players (Blue phantoms).

The book of the guilty is like a scoreboard for Darkwraith players to see who has the most indictions. As a Darkwraith player, you WANT to get as many indictions as you can.

What a lot of PC players don't understand though is that indictments and the book of the guilty are an in-game covenant mechanic, not something related to reporting cheaters or hackers. The caveat is that a lot of people on PC are cheating, and a large number of the top ranked Darkwraiths in the book of the guilty have cheated/hacked their stats (you can check each person's stats by looking in the book).

Apparently people have been straight up reporting the GFWL names of anyone who makes it into the top 10 or 20 in the book of the guilty but this isn't what it's meant for. There are also legitimate Darkwraith players who have been collecting indictments for their intended use in the top 10-20 and getting screwed over by this.

Sullichin

70 damage on a weapon with a monolithic damage type which already has enough raw power to overcome enemy defenses is actually quite significant, especially when it comes gratis for pumping the stat that increases the power of your catalyst, which is the main form of offense for a serious Int build.

The Soulmass combo is a really basic thing, it's basically an automated way of forcing a roll or a block, which you can follow up with any sort of offense you please. You need to compensate for casting and projectile travel time if you're following up with a spell, but otherwise it's no different from any other attack that you launch during an enemy's recovery time. Since Soulmass tracks independently of your lock-on you can easily follow it up with a pivot backstab if you have trouble with the timing of the Soul Spear.

It's basically the single best method in the game for setting up an attack during an enemy's recovery frames. If that combo is easy to dodge then a combo that is hard to dodge does not exist in the game.

Int builds are some of the most restrictive builds in the game, since 50 Int is practically non-negotiable. The new spells might change that a bit, since they actually have fairly low Int requirements, but at least in the console versions 44 was the absolute bare minimum for a viable Int build. It's not like Strength where 34 or 36 is pretty much always enough, or Faith builds which can stop as soon as they can use WotG.

If you're looking to PvP with an Int build you've not got much of an alternative to going to high levels if you want to have decent HP and Stamina. At low levels your only recourse is to resign yourself to being a glass cannon or to just use a different build entirely. I've never had much problem with this personally, since I don't invade and so my interest in low-level PvP builds is pretty much nil.

I like to make characters that stay between level 40-60 for maximum invasion and (more importantly) co-op. I really haven't been able to make a build that's good for this that uses either FAI or INT. For those builds I usually do chaos/lightning weapon + pyromancy. But that's kind of boring. Oh well, I'm always melee focused anyway. Even when I do FAI/INT, 99% of the time it's for the weapon buff spells only. But I wanted to try out the new sorceries. Eh, if online were working properly I could invade tons of people in the new areas and people in NG+ if I go up to 70 or 80 or even all the way up to 120. And regular PVP of course. I'll probably just do that.

So I just came across some hackers in the forest and tried to kick them off the ledges, but they would teleport back up, and they were throwing some coloured prism stones on the floor.

Elite PVP?

ixix

I like to make characters that stay between level 40-60 for maximum invasion and (more importantly) co-op. I really haven't been able to make a build that's good for this that uses either FAI or INT. For those builds I usually do chaos/lightning weapon + pyromancy. But that's kind of boring. Oh well, I'm always melee focused anyway. Even when I do FAI/INT, 99% of the time it's for the weapon buff spells only. But I wanted to try out the new sorceries. Eh, if online were working properly I could invade tons of people in the new areas and people in NG+ if I go up to 70 or 80. I'll probably just do that.

On the PS3 I've never had trouble getting co-op at levels greater than 100. It'll probably take time for that sort of thing to become possible on the PC version, since high-level co-op requires plenty of people on NG+ cycles.

I've really never seen much point in artificially limiting my level. If I want to co-op, say, O&S on a first cycle I can have a new character there in about an hour ready to tussle. If I want to PvP duel signs still show up even for my characters in the 160-200 SL range. If I really want to PvP I can just let the invaders come to me.

The whole point of the game, to me, is to get your NG+ count maxed out so you can play at max difficulty. That's pretty much my objective with all my characters, though obviously most never make it.

Sullichin

Well in between my GAF complaints I got 2 summons in 30 minutes for the Sanctuary Guardian boss. Still seems broken but that's better than what I've been getting. Awesome boss to co-op btw.

On the PS3 I've never had trouble getting co-op at levels greater than 100. It'll probably take time for that sort of thing to become possible on the PC version, since high-level co-op requires plenty of people on NG+ cycles.

I've really never seen much point in artificially limiting my level. If I want to co-op, say, O&S on a first cycle I can have a new character there in about an hour ready to tussle. If I want to PvP duel signs still show up even for my characters in the 160-200 SL range. If I really want to PvP I can just let the invaders come to me.

The whole point of the game, to me, is to get your NG+ count maxed out so you can play at max difficulty. That's pretty much my objective with all my characters, though obviously most never make it.

My SL120+ characters hang out and wait to get invaded. I usually bring them to NG+++. I very rarely go beyond that, I get sick of the build and make something new, or just have everything I need already and stay put and PVP.

Razek

Banned
Can you actually solo
the first arl londo bosses?
I was trucking everything in this game until this where I can't even move before I'm dead.

Sullichin

Can you actually solo
the first arl londo bosses?
I was trucking everything in this game until this where I can't even move before I'm dead.

You can do everything in the game at SL1 by yourself.
That being said, that fight is significantly easier if you summon the NPC solaire, he won't do much damage but having someone else to (sometimes) distract one of them makes a huge difference. This is my favorite fight to do co-op, I love summoning a phantom or two and going through AL and O&S, fighting off invaders on the way. Some of the most fun you can have in the game.

Pyromancers can use absolutely any weapon. Pyromancy does not require stats so you are not locked into any particular build. I personally recommend a fast weapon with stunning potential though to enable you to get off some of those long cast time spells off.

Hmm, good idea. Speaking of Pyromancers, should I be pumping more into Attunement than Intelligence?

What are you STR and DEX stats currently?

SL51, STR: 21, DEX: 16

:/

Razek

Banned
You can do everything in the game at SL1 by yourself.
That being said, that fight is significantly easier if you summon the NPC solaire, he won't do much damage but having someone else to (sometimes) distract one of them makes a huge difference. This is my favorite fight to do co-op, I love summoning a phantom or two and going through AL and O&S, fighting off invaders on the way. Some of the most fun you can have in the game.

I figured out the secret which was having the camera constantly facing behind you so you could see when to dodge. I have some sweaty palms after that one. Phew.

Sullichin

Hmm, good idea. Speaking of Pyromancers, should I be pumping more into Attunement than Intelligence?

Pyromancy is not affected by intelligence at all. Attunement will let you have more spell slots. I never found the need to have very many.
You have a lot of options open to you with those stats: claymore, halberd, uchigatana, balder side sword, the list goes on. I'd stop leveling STR unless you have a reason to though (it's not affecting the damage of your lightning spear).

I figured out the secret which was having the camera constantly facing behind you so you could see when to dodge. I have some sweaty palms after that one. Phew.

Nice, I still feel accomplished when I beat them solo and I've beaten this game like 30 times.

Intelligence does not affect Pyromancy. Attunement will give you more slots but there's no reason to go crazy with it unless you are all magic all the time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

You should be pumping 0 into intelligence because it doesn't affect pyromancy power. Attunement is more useful since it increases spell slots.

As for weapons you're still able to do almost anything right now but I personally recommend something strong but slower, like a halberd or claymore. This is because I consider great combustion (and black flame now) to be the best pyro spell and its quick cast speed complements a slower weapon for when you don't have time to swing it.

Top Bottom