• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hmm, good idea. Speaking of Pyromancers, should I be pumping more into Attunement than Intelligence?

SL51, STR: 21, DEX: 16

:/

You stats are almost perfect for using one of the new weapons, which looks to be the best non-scaling weapon in the game.

If you don't mind a boss spoiler for the new content, I'm talking about
the Obsidian Greatsword
which you get for
cutting off Kalameet's tail.

Razek

Banned
Nice, I still feel accomplished when I beat them solo and I've beaten this game like 30 times.

And honestly the reward was greater than anything I could have imagined. The ability to
warp? I honestly couldn't have asked for something better.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any success with the arena yet? What SL were you?

I've tried 4 or 5 times between SL30-40 just standing on one of the trap doors for about 10 minutes each time and have never gotten anything.

ok, finally took the Moonlight Greatsword with the mage build but I thought it was better. I mean it seems a decent sword (right now I have 30 int and it's a +3 sword) but not great.

i found the MGS great for PVP but not much chop in PVE. Don't know if it's been changed any in the patch.

Sullichin

You stats are almost perfect for using one of the new weapons, which looks to be the best non-scaling weapon in the game.

If you don't mind a boss spoiler for the new content, I'm talking about
the Obsidian Greatsword
which you get for
cutting off Kalameet's tail.

It's worth noting you can buff this weapon. Hell yeah. I just threw sunlight blade on that. Time to get more dragon scales. Definitely bringing my INT character up to 14STR to two hand it, hope I'll be able to summon someone to help
me get that goddamn tail again.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Haven't had a chance to read through this thread, so I figured I'd just ask:

What's the consensus on this game? Is the port as terrible as originally imagined?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It's worth noting you can buff this weapon. Hell yeah. I just threw sunlight blade on that. Time to get more dragon scales. Definitely bringing my INT character up to 14STR to two hand it, hope I'll be able to summon someone to help
me get that goddamn tail again.

Yeah, it seems a little over the top.

I started a new character that I'm putting to 20/16 Str/Dex to one-hand it, 16 Attunement, 40 Endurance, everything else into Vitality. I'm hoping it'll work out like a Dark Souls equivalent of a Northern Regalia build from Demon's Souls.

What's the consensus on this game? Is the port as terrible as originally imagined?
Yes and no. There's the obvious graphics issue, poor keyboard and mouse controls, and I've personally ran into a weird issue where it preferred my wii remote that I'd had synced to my PC ages ago over my 360 pad - had to remove the wiimote to fix it. That being said, Durantes fix, well, fixes the graphical issues and the game looks surprisingly great, it controls great with a 360 pad, performance isn't great but it's not terrible either and tops the console versions at least, and it's been totally stable for me - 45 hours so far and no crashes or weird issues. The net play seems pretty busted but I haven't played the console versions post 1.05 to compare. It reminds me of the game at launch though.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Archers passed. In my 3 play throughs I've only died to them once. I probably just got lucky the same tactic worked all three times.
The 100% success tactic is just to stop about a meter from the T intersection and wait for the right side archer to fire his arrow. As soon as he does, you have a free open run up to him and then you can just block until he knocks himself off.

CaLe

Still debating on if I should get the game or not... I imported Demon Souls back in the day and finished it. Loved it.

The problem is I have so many games to play (Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, Mass Effect Trilogy, Diablo 3, Skyrim), but then again I don't want to miss the GreenManGaming sales.

Sigh.

Is the game good GAF ?

zkylon

zkylewd
Still debating on if I should get the game or not... I imported Demon Souls back in the day and finished it. Loved it.

The problem is I have so many games to play (Guild Wars 2, The Secret World, Mass Effect Trilogy, Diablo 3, Skyrim), but then again I don't want to miss the GreenManGaming sales.

Sigh.

Is the game good GAF ?
Yes, plenty. I don't like it as much as I did Demon's, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

Razek

Banned

Sigh.

Is the game good GAF ?

No, it's the worst game I have ever played. I wish I could get my money back.

JK, yes it's good. It's similar to DS with a lot of upgrades.

Revoh

Can't beat the big lava dude with my warrior, that motherfucker hits so hard

Edit: lol, beat him. seriously this game has the most intimidating bosses ever but they always end up being so easy to beat
once you find out their attack/move pattern

Ridley327

Out of curiosity, if I ever felt like taking crazy pills again, can I actually go back to
the Painted World? The very tall lady at the end sure didn't want me there anymore, but there was at least one building that I hadn't explored and the shortcut that connected the bottom of the tall building to the bridge that leads to her wasn't opened up. Also, if I was taking crazy pills and then mixing them with booze, is it worth engaging in combat with her?

Vaporak

The port job is atrocious, one of the worst I've ever experienced. That said it's still a good game and Durantes Mod at least lets you run it at high resolution.

Razek

Banned
I think the game just paid me back for those 3 hours of club farming. I got a Titanite slab on my 3rd
black knight like thing kill in new londo.
Hearing from some frustrations from this thread, I guess I got pretty lucky. I didn't even have any item discovery buffs going either.

Raxus

Out of curiosity, if I ever felt like taking crazy pills again, can I actually go back to
the Painted World? The very tall lady at the end sure didn't want me there anymore, but there was at least one building that I hadn't explored and the shortcut that connected the bottom of the tall building to the bridge that leads to her wasn't opened up. Also, if I was taking crazy pills and then mixing them with booze, is it worth engaging in combat with her?

Yes you can go back. Either go back the way you came in or
Warp there.

Just killed the
gargoyles on top of the
parish church on my first try, felt like such a badass, had 10% health left and no flasks, my heart was pumping, i think i yelled out loud. this game....

Ceebs

Gah, I am cursed with this game.

First my save file goes kaput today as I described earlier, now I am getting a hard lock at the exact same spot every time I try to go through a door on a new character.

Zeth

Reading tales of the adventures of people playing DkS for the first time brings a tear to my eye. Love this game.

Oxn

Yesterday I decided I gave up on this game, was too frustrating, kept dying to the skeletons you face after the bird carries you off to the land.

So glad I didnt quit. I picked it up today and was murdering them. Its all about patience and timing.

Just killed my second boss, the bull guy.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game just paid me back for those 3 hours of club farming. I got a Titanite slab on my 3rd
Hearing from some frustrations from this thread, I guess I got pretty lucky. I didn't even have any item discovery buffs going either.
Yeah it has one of the lowest drop rates in the game. Luckily though with the DLC now there's 3 titanite slabs you can get without farming.

2AdEPT

Because it's my first playthrough and I don't want to spoil myself reading how to get the good items :p
these items are found laying around in the world and there is an in-game description...you are allowed to read at least that much!!!! ;)

Should I place the Lordvessel before moving forward with the Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, and new content?
go with Kaathe for the more satisfying ending....Frampt is a lier and loser....and his ending sucks...

What sword should I go for after Drake +1? When I played on 360 I went for a lightning Iato, but I want something different and more powerful, yet fast. Thinking about Quelaag's Furysword, but I don't think it looks that cool.
THere are literally 40-50 choices here is my personal top 5:
washing pole +15 with SUnlight/Darkmoon/Crystal magic weapon
Chaos great scythe +5
Chaos Gargoyle Halbred +5 or +15 with SUnlight /Darkmoon/ CRM
LIghtning avelyn +5
Darkmoon Bow +5 with magic arrows
Dragonslayer Greatbow +5
Lightning Barbed short sword/lightning spiked shield combo (with kirk armour) +5
Demon's spear +5
Jagged Ghost blade +5

obviouysly you can't make all of those but with the new slab drop rate seemingly higher...why limit yourself to only one MAIN weapon? Many f them are FAITH/Dex build slanted and you will ahve ot have theright stats ...but try a few weapons out...you don't ahve ot have just one per playthrough.
Earlier, I got two titanite slabs and a couple of chunks in one run from darkwraiths in new londo, with only 300 item discovery too. I only had to farm the wraiths twice to get enough chunks to make a +15 weapon, and that was only because I already used the chunks I picked up in chests. They definitely increased drop rates, which is a good thing, farming is just tedious. I don't think I've ever actually gotten a slab from darkwraiths before, I usually just get one slab per playthrough from the asylum demon.
NICE...finally some good news from New londo!
ok, finally took the Moonlight Greatsword with the mage build but I thought it was better. I mean it seems a decent sword (right now I have 30 int and it's a +3 sword) but not great.

also the mage build seems crappy, in pvp the enemy can dodge every magic and in pve you just farm a lot better with pyro.

btw I'm going to check the dlc stuff tomorrow.
only thing people forgot to mention is that this is the ONLY sword in the old content (not sure about new) that hits with 100% magic damage and zero physical...this can be good as it is hard hitting on enemies weak to magic and only one reistiance is beenficial...unless the said enemy is magic resistant...can't think of any really though other than Seath and kings, but they can eat my lightnign spear instead or chaos great scythe...or buffed physical weapon versions.....lots of options.
Big question for you guys. Should I risk killing
Ingward? He's apparently bugged in the PC version and doesn't always drop the key. Anyone heard if this has been fixed?

Obviously its no big deal to just talk to the bastard before openign the flood gates...a message to all: DO NOT KILL INGWARD before getting his key..he did not drop and I had to waster 30 hours. Ineed ot learn how to use game save manager..anyoen that can give a quick step by step after I downloaded it I can't get it to run/have no idea how it works?????????

The bosses in this game...

w9f2m.png

So good.

Can't beat Capra Demon.

Couldn't beat the Bell Gargoyle
A second one showed up as I was running away from the first one I almost killed... I knew it!

I guess it's time to go back to the forest for now.

I accumulated 1.5 million souls and only collected 2 slabs over hours and hours in NG+ when I farmed that area on PS3. I became a machine.

Mupod

I got a large club on my first giant kill and I've yet to see a slab in...a lot of runs.

Meanwhile, back on 360 I probably had to farm those fatties for 2 hours and I had more slabs than I knew what to do with from the great hollow. Never even used most of them, and I didn't get a single one on PC.

I am pretty sure they managed to port Monster Hunter's desire sensor into this game.

CaLe

Just make sure you go and get Durante's fix in the other DSfix thread.

Yup ! Just did, thanks.

What class do you guys recommend ? I played a warrior in Demon's Soul, while it was fun, I wonder if there's another class I should try.

Yup ! Just did, thanks.

What class do you guys recommend ? I played a warrior in Demon's Soul, while it was fun, I wonder if there's another class I should try.

Classes become so meaningless so quickly in these games, it really just depends on what you want to do for the first few hours of the game and are you looking to make things difficult or smoother early on.

CaLe

Classes become so meaningless so quickly in these games, it really just depends on what you want to do for the first few hours of the game and are you looking to make things difficult or smoother early on.

Ah got it, I forgot that's how Demon Soul was too.

I'll just stick to a warrior I guess, thanks.

Razek

Banned
Wow you guys are nuts. If I really want it, I give it about 2 hours of grinding give or take.

I got a large club on my first giant kill and I've yet to see a slab in...a lot of runs.

Meanwhile, back on 360 I probably had to farm those fatties for 2 hours and I had more slabs than I knew what to do with from the great hollow. Never even used most of them, and I didn't get a single one on PC.

I am pretty sure they managed to port Monster Hunter's desire sensor into this game.

I'm jelly at your club drop. I came to grips with it and I ended up loving Zeinhander out of it, so I guess there is always that.

Clevinger

I accumulated 1.5 million souls and only collected 2 slabs over hours and hours in NG+ when I farmed that area on PS3. I became a machine.

Oh god, it was so fucking boring doing that in my first playthrough. I grinded for so many hours with full humanity and that ring and still wasn't even able to fully upgrade my armor. Why couldn't From have put those in a blacksmith store for a huge soul price?

IoCaster

Got back into it and the dragon flew off somewhere. I explored around a bit and got steamrolled by an armored rhino boar, I think. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, crappy controls and all. It's got a nice rhythm to the flow of combat that's very rewarding.

As an aside, the power co. guys around here are certifiably insane. They got the power back on at ~3:00am (right in the middle of the fucking hurricane) for about five minutes before a transformer or something blew up. I was sitting in the dark reading my kindle when the lights came on and it surprised the hell out of me cause the storm was still raging. Then I heard a loud explosion and it was lights out again. The power has been back up for the last four hours or so and we're still getting 30-40 mph wind gusts around here. Them guys and gals are badass working in that kind of shit all night.

Maedhros

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

Fuck you black knight at undead burg area. Fuck you, why do you have infinite stamina and a rocket stucked on his ass, fuck, just lost 10k of souls because of this fucker. FUCK!

I've died at least 20 times. I almost broke my controller because of him.

Top Bottom