• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Raxus

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

Fuck you black knight at undead burg area. Fuck you, why do you have infinite stamina and a rocket stucked on his ass, fuck, just lost 10k of souls because of this fucker. FUCK!

I've died at least 20 times. I almost broke my controller because of him.

You can always go back to kick his ass. 10k souls is nothing. Hell I lost 30k souls tonight and I didn't even shed a tear. The game is all about small victories. Defeating a boss, finding a shortcut, finding a bonfire.

Shepard

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

Fuck you black knight at undead burg area. Fuck you, why do you have infinite stamina and a rocket stucked on his ass, fuck, just lost 10k of souls because of this fucker. FUCK!

Fuck the Black Knight from the Catacombs. Lost 29k Souls + 10 Humanities because I thought I had a shield on my left hand instead of that fucking wand. He had only an inch of his HP bar :(

The first time I lost souls this play through, I lost 85,000 souls and around 9 humanity because I rolled off the wood lift in Blighttown wrong after being killed by a pack of fire breathing dogs. Sometimes, it can actually be kind of liberating.

In that case, I actually needed a lot of those souls for what I was trying to fo so I went back to Quelaag and helped a handful of people beat her and I made up the bulk of lost souls + humanity in no time.

The first time I lost souls this play through, I lost 85,000 souls and around 9 humanity because I rolled off the wood lift in Blighttown wrong after being killed by a pack of fire breathing dogs. Sometimes, it can actually be kind of liberating.

In that case, I actually needed a lot of those souls for what I was trying to fo so I went back to Quelaag and helped a handful of people beat her and I made up the bulk of lost souls + humanity in no time.

But then you think, 'ugh, I could've had DOUBLE those souls if I didn't die twice'...
There are also times when I invested in rings of sacrifice to protect my souls, and then I didn't use them when I should have and died again like an idiot.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wow, so figured I'd try summoning a real person to see how it was and turns out it makes the game ridiculously easy. We beat the Blighttown boss almost without a scratch. The guy seemed to have seriously overpowered equipment (in comparison to mine at least), so I dunno about this SL thing...

Anyways, that's two bells rang, gonna see if I can manage to kill the demon behind Blighttown's boss' lair and move on. Got some unfinished business with a certain knight...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, so figured I'd try summoning a real person to see how it was and turns out it makes the game ridiculously easy. We beat the Blighttown boss almost without a scratch. The guy seemed to have seriously overpowered equipment (in comparison to mine at least), so I dunno about this SL thing...

Anyways, that's two bells rang, gonna see if I can manage to kill the demon behind Blighttown's boss' lair and move on. Got some unfinished business with a certain knight...
SL doesn't really effect anything in terms of gear. A lot of people beat the game at low levels and then go back to help players for fun.

Emitan

Beat the first real boss I guess. Don't really feel like getting the
Drake Sword
if it's as broken as people say. Also I don't have a bow :3

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Drake Sword
It's not really broken, just eases up the first 1/4 of the game a bit. And if you don't have a bow then it's all the more challenging to try to cut off its tail normally (use gold pine resin). And then enjoy the sword as a reward for your hard work

verbatimo

Just found new area
in Blighttown where you get plank shield. I was just hitting the walls and then wall disappears and there is chest, and behind the the chest is also a wake wall. Hit that and enter The Great Hollow.

This game... :O

KSai

I never liked the Drake Sword, but you should still pick it up since it's part of an achievement.

Just found new area
in Blighttown where you get plank shield. I was just hitting the walls and then wall disappears and there is chest, and behind the the chest is also a wake wall. Hit that and enter The Great Hollow.

This game... :O
Soon you shall see true beauty.

Its strange being able to message people so easily with GFWL. Well, its easier because I have a keyboard, not so much GFWL. It doesn't seem to hurt the experience as much as I thought it would.

I have been having a lot better luck summoning people tonight, before I was having a pretty higher failure rate.

Ridley327

Took a couple of tries, but the fabled Anor Londo archers are no more! It took me a bit to realize that the game really wants you to focus on the right first, but thankfully, they don't put up much of a fight against a Claymore +10.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I've lost so many souls at this point I can barely even remember a time when it phased me. Just an hour or so ago I died with 50,000 souls and about a dozen Humanity, and immediately after respawning I trotted right off a cliff because I got distracted by a text message.

I wasn't even mad.

Drake Sword

There's really nothing wrong with the Drake Sword. It's not even the strongest weapon you can get at that point in the game. But it's pretty strong, is fairly easy to get, and does decent damage. It's vastly more notorious than it has any business being, quite frankly.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Tried sneakin up the back way into darkroot garden. took the bridge right instead of the path left...
and got fuckin CLEANED OUT. those cats... goddam. I left my humanity, my souls, and my pride in there.

ixix

Rollo cats may be the worst enemy in the game next to
skeleton dogs

They haven't been much of a threat since 1.05 reduced their aggro radius.

I kind of wish that that patch hadn't toned down some of the later areas so much. There are whole swathes of players who will never know just how easy it was to
end up in the Tomb of the Giants with no light source
or how brutal
the front entrance to Lost Izalith
was.

Agonizing at the time, true, but those places built character.

KSai

I like Dark Souls more too. I beat Demon's Souls but I gimped myself by sticking with a Dragon Knight Sword +5. The atmosphere of Demon's Souls is just way too oppressing for me to get back into. I enjoyed the game, but not as much as with Dark Souls.

Fluted armor will always hold a special place in my heart.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

I kind of wish that that patch hadn't toned down some of the later areas so much. There are whole swathes of players who will never know just how easy it was to
or how brutal
was.

True, but back then we had super powerful pyromancy and game-breaking crystal ring shields

ArynCrinn

Banned

or how brutal
was.

I agree, the dino's in Izalith were pure pain, now they're totally avoidable... .

KarmaCow

Is there any way to disable those logo movie at the start of the game. I'm still messing with settings and going through them every time is annoying.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

lol, i love all these moments, thats why souls game are so my favourite.

Grief.exe

I've amassed 21 humanities so far. Gonna suck when I inevitably lose it because I die in a boss's arena and can't get to my stain.

You can deposit them if you join a covenant.

Is there any way to disable those logo movie at the start of the game. I'm still messing with settings and going through them every time is annoying.

Ya there is no way currently.

You can usually go into the movie folder and rename or delete the intro ones but they aren't there.
Its like they are hard coded into the game.

ixix

True, but back then we had super powerful pyromancy and game-breaking crystal ring shields

We also had invincibility on demand and the Tranquil Walk of Peace glitch that caused everything near you to explode like a meat balloon. Or a bone balloon, as the case may be.

Ah, memories.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
We also had invincibility on demand and the Tranquil Walk of Peace glitch that caused everything near you to explode like a meat balloon. Or a bone balloon, as the case may be.

Ah, memories.
wait what, I need to see a video of this

Vaporak

Almost done with the DLC stuff, but I think I'm done with the game. The online content is either broken or deserted, and I really dislike From's consistent decision to put bonfires far away from the bosses in the later part of the game. Good game though, too bad the later parts aren't up to par with the earlier game.

KarmaCow

Ya there is no way currently.

You can usually go into the movie folder and rename or delete the intro ones but they aren't there.
Its like they are hard coded into the game.

Well that's a shame. I think I got my tweaking done though so hopefully everything runs smoothly tomorrow.

ixix

wait what, I need to see a video of this

Took me a while to find this.

I couldn't find the most entertaining video of it, where a guy used it to clear out
Lost Izalith
using the old version of the spell. That video actually uses the latest console version with the newer animation cancel glitch and the shortened TWoP so it's not as impressive, but you can see what it does to those poor hollows.

FtHTiny

Almost done with the DLC stuff, but I think I'm done with the game. The online content is either broken or deserted, and I really dislike From's consistent decision to put bonfires far away from the bosses in the later part of the game. Good game though, too bad the later parts aren't up to par with the earlier game.

Well not having a bonfire infront of the boss is kinda part of the experience. Having to make your way past the enemies without using estus or spells you need for the boss.

Vaporak

Well not having a bonfire infront of the boss is kinda part of the experience. Having to make your way past the enemies without using estus or spells you need for the boss.

I've got no problem with the bonfires not being right infront of a boss, but later in the game they are placed obnoxiously far from the bosses and serve as nothing but a waste of time. level design in general really takes a nose dive after Anor Londo imo.

KSai

Tomb of the Giants is great and both New Londo and Lost Izalith have a shortcut. The only place I hate is getting to the bonfire in the Duke's Archives.

FtHTiny

I've got no problem with the bonfires not being right infront of a boss, but later in the game they are placed obnoxiously far from the bosses and serve as nothing but a waste of time. level design in general really takes a nose dive after Anor Londo imo.

I kinda like everything expect maybe lost izalith. Duke´s archives has a pretty good design and looks great overall.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Took me a while to find this.

I couldn't find the most entertaining video of it, where a guy used it to clear out
Lost Izalith
using the old version of the spell. That video actually uses the latest console version with the newer animation cancel glitch and the shortened TWoP so it's not as impressive, but you can see what it does to those poor hollows.
Oh huh, I had seen people get hit with something like this, didn't know it was a spellswap.

Shinjica

Ahah, Forest Hunter + Chameleon = Master trolling.

I fight one of this troller on the 360 but he wasnt very lucky. Il one-shotted him with a crystal soul spear.

Anyway yesterday i was invaded by one level 16 (i was level 17) and after the fight i ask him how he can invade so early in the game (i know you can find 4 cracked red orb early in the game).
He answer me he multiplicate it so he could invade even early in the game saing this is a cheat because he didnt change his stat, he want only to do PVP as fast as possibile.

I'm not sure if i want to report him for cheating because, you know, if he really didnt change any stats, he has no advantage in PVP.

web01

I fight one of this troller on the 360 but he wasnt very lucky. Il one-shotted him with a crystal soul spear.

Anyway yesterday i was invaded by one level 16 (i was level 17) and after the fight i ask him how he can invade so early in the game (i know you can find 4 cracked red orb early in the game).
He answer me he multiplicate it so he could invade even early in the game saing this is a cheat because he didnt change his stat, he want only to do PVP as fast as possibile.

I'm not sure if i want to report him for cheating because, you know, if he really didnt change any stats, he has no advantage in PVP.

You can easily join the Darkwraiths at lvl 1 if you know what you are doing.
And even before that you can get 10 broken eye orbs.

Plus from my experience reporting anyone on Xbox live is an absolute waste of time. Even those who blatantly hack and cheat with unlimited health etc.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man what a complete and utter goatfuck Lost Izalith was, glad to be done with that poorly designed boring ass shitpipe.

Eusis

...I want in on this covenant.
You are a target pretty much forever across ALL characters once you make a single infraction, so what comes off as a neat concept (hunt the Darkwraiths wrecking people's games!) comes off more as being a self righteous asshole, though
knowing that maybe Gwyndolin isn't exactly a "good guy" helps there
. Personally, I was in it on consoles, but gave up on that partially due to how much of a pain it was to gather the covenant items, then didn't even bother on PC managed to land in the book of the guilty despite never invading anyone's game, probably because
I near immediately shot Gwynevere to get the enemies that were good to grind on, only to discover they patched that out AND that I probably landed in the book of the guilty over that since I was in her covenant for the item.[/url]
It is a covenant for late game griefers. Since you can battle level 1-your current level+10+10%. So if you are level 100 you can challenge people at levels 1-120.
Geez, this really does make them look more like assholes than Darkwraiths (unless they have the same condition), you don't even get anything for offing them if they invade your game.

FtHTiny

Geez, this really does make them look more like assholes than Darkwraiths (unless they have the same condition), you don't even get anything for offing them if they invade your game.

From what i read about it only the ring works that way and i haven´t gotten a single ring-invasion in like 3-4 hours. The blue stone works the same way as the red stone. Only in 10% of your lvl range. And from what invasions i got as a blue phantom they where always around my level.

2AdEPT

I've amassed 21 humanities so far. Gonna suck when I inevitably lose it because I die in a boss's arena and can't get to my stain.
dont forget about sacrifice rings....a good investment when you travel by the parish and speak with absolve sin guy.
Ah got it, I forgot that's how Demon Soul was too.

I'll just stick to a warrior I guess, thanks.

the best starting character is sorcerer...least amount of resistance to start....resistance is a useless stat. only one extra INT point gets you all the preliminary sorceries and then you can take it anyway you like.

Top Bottom